Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Paddyb posted:

I hope he can afford an apartment with windows wherever he lands. :ohdear:

He better not land in SJ then. He'll have to live in a hobo tent city if he comes out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

I see he has all the necessities here. Blankets, pillows, championship wrestling belts.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I see that MLS salaries also limit you to owning a PS3 instead of a PS4. Shame, really.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Hahahahaha @ the standard of living of a professional soccer player in MLS

If I remember correctly, several of the lower tier Sounders players had to pool together and be roommates to actually have a place to live. I remember Patrick Ianni was depending on the money his wife makes.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

foobardog posted:

If I remember correctly, several of the lower tier Sounders players had to pool together and be roommates to actually have a place to live. I remember Patrick Ianni was depending on the money his wife makes.

This happens everywhere. AEG has been getting around it by owning the apartment complexes and renting at low rates so it doesn't count as compensation towards the cap.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
My cheese fry travels did not go unnoticed by the MLS's crack reporting team:

quote:

The vibe was overwhelmingly positive. After a Philly fan was spotted chowing down on cheese fries, NYCFC supporters started a chant of their own “we-want-cheese-fries.” The Union fan obliged, embarking on an impromptu good-will mission, sharing his pre-draft snack with supporters from multiple clubs. With no standings to obsess over, no on-the-field action to argue about, fans seemed content in sharing the experience with each other and with their side’s newest members.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/01/15/supporters-across-mls-build-community-spirit-superdraft-sideline

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Ronald Matarrita to NYFC is official now, he's cool and good so he better play lots of minutes

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Simone Poodoin posted:

Ronald Matarrita to NYFC is official now, he's cool and good so he

will get benched in favor of ancient Europeans

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Jesus Christ Colorado. They just traded Clint Irwin to Toronto for draft picks and TAM. TFC have added Irwin, Moor, and Beitashour this offseason. Their main weakness was their Back 5 and they've basically negated it. gently caress you Colorado.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

but how do i-

quote:

Pronunciation: “CL-INT ER-WIN”

thanks mls

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Hoover Dam posted:

will get benched in favor of ancient Europeans

drat it this is probably true, and we do really need Matarrita to be the real deal because Oviedo is made of glass

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Jesus Christ Colorado. They just traded Clint Irwin to Toronto for draft picks and TAM. TFC have added Irwin, Moor, and Beitashour this offseason. Their main weakness was their Back 5 and they've basically negated it. gently caress you Colorado.

I'm not sure why Colorado should care about strengthening a team in the other conference, since them making MLS Cup in the foreseeable future would require nine precisely targetted meteors.

edit: on the other hand, this seems like groundwork for Howard and LOL Colorado for thinking Howard is a solution to an actual problem they have.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 18, 2016

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

My reaction to this off season is basically this:

:bang:

either MacMath is the new keeper or here comes timmay. I can neither defend nor explain this trade.

At least Chivas was fun to watch sometimes. Right now I don't think the rapids will amount to any more than a wooden spoon.

For what it's worth it's a heck of a move up for Irwin. If (when) the Rapids don't do anything this year I may jump on the TFC bandwagon because I liked Moor and Irwin and seeing them leave sucks.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 18, 2016

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, Twitter assumes they're making room for Howard, so it'll be mildly funny when that doesn't happen

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Real Name Grover posted:

Yeah, Twitter assumes they're making room for Howard, so it'll be mildly funny when that doesn't happen

All I can really say is if (when) Howard doesn't come to Denver there better be some big loving signings with all this allocation money. If there aren't the stadium will be a ghost town aside from some angry supporters on opening day.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
OK, let's get this out of the way before the season starts:

Colorado Chivas
Chivas Rapids
or something else?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Arsenal USA.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

whypick1 posted:

OK, let's get this out of the way before the season starts:

Colorado Chivas
Chivas Rapids
or something else?

Chivas Colorado? Edit - Chivas Denver? Chivas Commerce City?

:allears: :golfclap:

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 18, 2016

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Michael Harrington to Chicago.

:shrug:

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Hello Towel posted:

Michael Harrington to Chicago.

:shrug:

He was competent enough when he was in Colorado but then his playing time fell off a cliff. He had some personal issues and rumor was his wife disliked Colorado so he basically vanished.

:shrug: who knows.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Chivas Colorado? Edit - Chivas Denver? Chivas Commerce City?

Oooh, Chivas COL.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Michael Harrington is a great dude and competent defender; I think he's probably going to be good for Chicago if he can get some playing time.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I'm thinking that Harrington is a depth signing unless the young defender(s) we're rumored to be in talks with don't pan out.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Chicago are going to play an 8-1-1 and break the record for goalless draws.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Reports in that Teixeira is not headed to NYCFC, instead choosing to stay in Europe.

Also someone tried defending that NYCFC paying Matarrita 300k+ isn't a lot, despite it being ~1/10th of the salary cap pre-allocation. Also hearing rumblings that their ticket allocation for the next Red Bulls away game is going to be even less than the last one.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I liked Harrington when he was at KC. Definitely good enough to start, just couldn't break into the team because we had (at the time) very good fullbacks in Sinovic and Myers. Enjoy his chin

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Paddyb posted:

Chicago are going to play an 8-1-1 and break the record for goalless draws.

The attacking plan will be "boot it forward and hope Accam can run onto it"

Wait, poo poo, that's already been the plan for a year.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Quick MLS Live/Direct Kick questions.

1. Does Direct Kick come with the MLS Live Streaming stuff
2. If I (an american) want to watch TFC games and they're on "national" tv in Canada am I blacked out?
3. Why is the Rapid's front office filled with idiots?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Hello Towel posted:

The attacking plan will be "boot it forward and hope Accam can run onto it"

Wait, poo poo, that's already been the plan for a year.

I'm down with this, I thought he was going back to England.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

LionYeti posted:

2. If I (an american) want to watch TFC games and they're on "national" tv in Canada am I blacked out?

you'll be fine generally

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

LionYeti posted:

For number two, if the game is nationally televised on TSN but not ESPN, you will be fine in the US.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

LionYeti posted:

Funny, I was wondering the same sorts of things. Especially #3.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Funny, I was wondering the same sorts of things. Especially #3.

I'm just going to start dressing up as the Joker and tell everyone at Rapids games that the plan is simple: we kill Tim Hinchey.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
https://twitter.com/ENBSports/status/689201374853214209

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

LionYeti posted:

1. No. But they are the exact same thing barring condensed matches etc. It comes down to what device you are willing to watch more MLS on, TV or computer. In my case, mine is hooked up to my TV so I win.

2. You can watch all TFC games not on ESPN, Fox, or Unimas on MLSLive. Also, don't claim them as your favorite or 'home' team. The site gets wonky sometimes and tries to black you out of their games because the locality gets messed up.

3. Because Uncle Stan don't give a poo poo. He's got 3 franchises that print money, so you're the kid living under the stairs in an abandoned rental property slowly dying from a carbon monoxide leak. He'll remember you in a couple years after you've died once the smell gets really bad and the junkies complain.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Jordan Morris turned down an offer with Werder Bremen, so one would assume he'll be with the Sounders this season.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I'm sure Jurgen is taking the news well.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Looks like both Ashley Cole and J. Van Damm are on their way to LA now for reals. Can't really say how I feel yet. I'll wait until the FC Shirak game on the 30th and hope they play.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

ALL THE CENTER BACKS

Found this on @mlstransfers too:

"João Meira, former Belenenses, will continue his career in the United States. The central defender has reached agreement with the Chicago Fire of Major League Soccer team that will represent in the next two years.

\I am quite happy with this new challenge that I face with the expectation of big club that is the Chicago Fire. Is a League on the rise and I feel like I'm going to take another step forward in my career, \revealed the player, 28 years old, the News Record"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

I'm just going to start dressing up as the Joker and tell everyone at Rapids games that the plan is simple: we kill Tim Hinchey.

I'll settle for tar and feather jobs for Bravo and Hinchey. And remedial coaching courses for Mastroeni.

So far all the peanut gallery is generating on the Rapids is a fear that Pappa is going to be suspended or something and never take the field for the Rapids due to the stabbing and the DUI. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised.

• Locked thread