Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jose posted:

are you eligible for this vote?

Brexit? Nah.

Neither is one of our MSPs.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13215256.French_born_SNP_MSP__it_s_a_democratic_disgrace_that_I_can_t_vote_in_EU_referendum/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

Lol I'm hosed in Tory Britian thanks to the fuckers down south so I'm fine with The Troubles II: Electric Scotaloo.

You'd welcome paramilitary violence in Scotland?

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
Britain is poo poo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

You'd welcome paramilitary violence in Scotland?

Yes.

But more akin to it happening in the south and middle england really.

Because

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Britain is poo poo.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

Yes.

But more akin to it happening in the south and middle england really.

Because

I think it's actually because you're a loving infant.

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/689490540589666305

:eyepop:

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 20, 2016

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

remember when you reported someone for making fun of you lmao.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

That matters less ever than the rest of the polls you post since it says nothing about opinions or about actual chances.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Noxville posted:

That matters less ever than the rest of the polls you post since it says nothing about opinions or about actual chances.

Polls are a snapshot of public opinion. That one is no exception.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pissflaps posted:

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/689490540589666305

:eyepop:
I've been wondering, so I did some research, and it turns out BritainElects don't really have... well, any credentials at all, really, to make me think their polling has any reliability. They only have any presence on social media, and their websites are placeholders and on tumblr http://britainelects.tumblr.com/about http://britainelects.com/

quote:

About
Britain Elects is a… broadcast service of some sorts that delivers an endless supply of news on opinion polling and elections across the United Kingdom, be it local, parliamentary or international.
Britain Elects was established on the eve of 2014 in anticipation of covering the local and European elections of the coming year as well as the Scottish Independence referendum. When there are no high profile elections, we concentrate on the weekly dose of council by-elections that warrant at least some coverage.
We are currently based on Twitter where we are most known. Attempts to make a website have been fruitless and may well be complete way after the general election, a disappointing failure on our part.
In the meantime, consider this Tumblr site a temporary storage space of our graphics and what not until we make the effort to finish the website.
We intend the website to be an archive of British election results as well as a library of data, be it polling or census-based. Our long term aim is to make information more accessible to people, in particular the kind that demands bar-charts, pie-charts and maps to discern.
Britain Elects is run by four people, all political/psephological/statistical/sociological junkies rejected by mainstream-society.

I mean, it's great that they're getting this much press, but why are they getting this much press, and why are we supposed to trust them, exactly? It sounds like a backroom hobby business run by the equivalent of this thread.

Why do we think they have any legitimacy, again?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

I've been wondering, so I did some research, and it turns out BritainElects don't really have... well, any credentials at all, really, to make me think their polling has any reliability. They only have any presence on social media, and their websites are placeholders and on tumblr

Your research can't have been very exhaustive: it's just a twitter account that tweets poll results. '(via YouGov / 14 - 15 Jan)' should have given you a clue.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Your research can't have been very exhaustive: it's just a twitter account that tweets poll results. '(via YouGov / 14 - 15 Jan)' should have given you a clue.

Do they link to the polls concerned? Do they provide any information beyond numbers?

How do we tell whether their reporting is accurate, exactly?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

Do they link to the polls concerned? Do they provide any information beyond numbers?

How do we tell whether their reporting is accurate, exactly?

If they're falsifying poll results of legitimate polling companies it should be an easy thing to prove, though frankly you're just sounding a bit paranoid.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

If they're falsifying poll results of legitimate polling companies it should be an easy thing to prove, though frankly you're just sounding a bit paranoid.

It would be easy to verify their results if they provided any links to them. Just saying. They don't have to be falsifying them, even, it's very easy to misrepresent polling data in a biased manner.

I'll have a proper poke around when it's not nearly midnight.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Pissflaps posted:

:human being: Stop being so mean ya big bully!

Flectarn posted:

remember when you reported someone for making fun of you lmao.

Pissflaps...

Pissflaps never changes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

It would be easy to verify their results if they provided any links to them. Just saying. They don't have to be falsifying them, even, it's very easy to misrepresent polling data in a biased manner.

I'll have a proper poke around when it's not nearly midnight.

They're just tweeting results of polls. I've done the poking around for you.

Yikes.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Yikes.

You sure are taking this Tsundere role on Corbyn a bit seriously then I would like.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

You're doing the play a disservice, because it really doesn't make a case for Scotland being "perpetually crushed under the heel of British imperialism." It charts exploitation of and violence against the poor and the dispossessed in the highlands by the rich and the powerful (many of whom are, in fact, Scottish), and points of resistance to that exploitation. You can justifiably argue that it depicts the highlands being crushed under the heel of British imperialism, but it doesn't juxtapose Scotland and Britain the way you want it to. It's about capitalism, not nationalism.

I agree everyone should watch the video though; it's one of the best works of 20th century theatre.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
We'll see in May how hosed Corbyn is, though I imagine the answer will be "Oh poo poo he did well, how do we explain that he didn't really?" like Oldham.

He's only just finished having to fight over staying in the position he got without being ousted and is now busy trying to make the Labour Party not poo poo and appears to actually be succeeding at it. He 's even got his Shadow Cabinet to stop briefing against him, which is a nice start to the year.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
It's funny how much everyone agrees on nationalising the railways and limiting directors' bonuses, and on the Tories being a bunch of grasping toadies, and yet think Cameron is a good Prime Minister and Corbyn would be an awful one.

The power of the media, getting you to vote against your own interests even as you are aware it's happening.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I'm arguing there is no meaningful national identity which justifies the formation of a political entity around it.

As I see it the ScotNat independence movement must be a nationalist movement because the character of unequal treatment of Scotland is predicated on it being Scotland, if you follow me. The resistance is characterised by what it is resisting. Scotland is treated like poo poo as Scotland. So it's real easy to get people to rally around and identify with national identity when they feel like they are treated like poo poo on account of the historical accident of having been born in a given nation, and that therefore that economic and political repression is bound up with their cultural identity, language, customs, whatever. Sometimes (almost always?) national identity is just garbage exploited by shitbag politicians, sometimes national culture, or language, or whatever are repressed by a central government.

Nationalism is absolutely trash that belongs in the bin, but it's possibly a lesser evil than national repression.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

It's funny how much everyone agrees on nationalising the railways and limiting directors' bonuses, and on the Tories being a bunch of grasping toadies, and yet think Cameron is a good Prime Minister and Corbyn would be an awful one.

The power of the media, getting you to vote against your own interests even as you are aware it's happening.

I agree with those policies, but I have zero confidence in Corbyn being able to enact them.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The British public dosen't deserve such luxuries or sympathy if they are easily fooled.

Just another bunch of runts feasting apon a giant turd they have been givin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Either that article is bullshit, or Christian Allard is not eligible to be an MSP. If he were, he couldn't be excluded on the basis of the general election franchise because one of the requirements to stand in UK elections is that you're able to vote in them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jedit posted:

Either that article is bullshit, or Christian Allard is not eligible to be an MSP. If he were, he couldn't be excluded on the basis of the general election franchise because one of the requirements to stand in UK elections is that you're able to vote in them.

Not the case, EU citizens resident in Scotland are eligible to vote in the Scottish Parliamentary elections, just like they are eligible to vote in local elections. It's only the GE as far as I know that requires British/Commonwealth citizenship.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big scary monsters posted:

Not the case, EU citizens resident in Scotland are eligible to vote in the Scottish Parliamentary elections, just like they are eligible to vote in local elections. It's only the GE as far as I know that requires British/Commonwealth citizenship.

Can you find me a cite on that? I checked the regs on this before posting and if the voting franchise is a devolved issue, they failed to mention it.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

As I see it the ScotNat independence movement must be a nationalist movement because the character of unequal treatment of Scotland is predicated on it being Scotland, if you follow me. The resistance is characterised by what it is resisting. Scotland is treated like poo poo as Scotland. So it's real easy to get people to rally around and identify with national identity when they feel like they are treated like poo poo on account of the historical accident of having been born in a given nation, and that therefore that economic and political repression is bound up with their cultural identity, language, customs, whatever. Sometimes (almost always?) national identity is just garbage exploited by shitbag politicians, sometimes national culture, or language, or whatever are repressed by a central government.

Nationalism is absolutely trash that belongs in the bin, but it's possibly a lesser evil than national repression.

Critical support for scottish national liberation as a wedge to destroy the united kingdom. But scotland will be a key member of the British Federated People's Republics

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 20, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Very naice

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

pissflaps the "i don't think jeremy corbyn is likely to win an election" poll is fairly obviously contributed to by every media outlet up to and including the BBC saying "jeremy corbyn is not likely to win an election" since before he was elected

it is a pointless metric. various approval ratings are much less pointless, though one might very well discuss whether they should be taken seriously and/or be used as a rationale to oust him - again, there doesn't really seem to be anyone else in the modern labour party who reasonably could win an election

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pissflaps posted:

Yikes.

Is that big dip from Syria bombing??

I don't understand what he did wrong there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Corbyn just needs to seize the means of mass communications.
The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no matter how one spins it, a party being in apparent total civil war is not an indication of solid leadership. similarly, one may reasonably judge a prime minister by how effective they are at getting their legislation through, as well as how good their proposed legislation is

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

Is that big dip from Syria bombing??

I don't understand what he did wrong there.

Probably a combo of the shoot to kill stuff, "losing" the vote on Syria, there was almost certainly a lot of nasty articles in the news....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially given that the press presented his opposition to Shoot On Sight for people who look a bit terroristy as opposing shooting people if they're actively going around committing terrorist offenses.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

honestly i suspect that a lot of corbyn's relatively poor stats are due to a fairly relentless media campaign against him. this doesn't really change the fact that the stats are what they are, and that we should consider them on their own terms, however. i tend to believe that it may well be that corbyn cannot win the 2020 election bar some form of miracle, but neither can anyone else and corbyn is if nothing else a credible opposition figure

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jedit posted:

Can you find me a cite on that? I checked the regs on this before posting and if the voting franchise is a devolved issue, they failed to mention it.

I happen to know because I'm related to a Scotland resident, non-British EU citizen, but this (somewhat unclear) page says the same. http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/what-can-i-vote-for/scottish-parliament

Whereas non-British & Irish EU citizens are specifically mentioned as being excluded from the general election franchise. http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/who-is-eligible-to-vote-at-a-uk-general-election

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Guavanaut posted:

Especially given that the press presented his opposition to Shoot On Sight for people who look a bit terroristy as opposing shooting people if they're actively going around committing terrorist offenses.

Jesus, yet again it's all the fault of the press. Whatever his actual views, it was idiotic to say what he did less than a week after the Paris attacks. Though I understand and agree with his point when I read the interview in full, my immediate thought on seeing the headline was an image of a massacre like the Paris concert with Corbyn standing in the way of the armed police responders yelling "Stop! You should talk to them first!".

The man needs to understand that simply saying his opinions regardless of current events is not a winning strategy; at the very least it makes him look tactless. At worst it makes him look oblivious.

Plucky Brit fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 20, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Plucky Brit posted:

Though I understand and agree with his point when I read the interview in full, my immediate thought on seeing the headline
So you agree that it was a problem with how the press presented what he said?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Guavanaut posted:

So you agree that it was a problem with how the press presented what he said?

No, the problem is assuming that everyone has the time and inclination to read through his entire considered response. In other words, assuming that everyone treats national politics as a hobby. Also assuming that people should take a cold and rational view immediately after a massacre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Plucky Brit posted:

No, the problem is assuming that everyone has the time and inclination to read through his entire considered response. In other words, assuming that everyone treats national politics as a hobby.
But if they had chosen a more representative headline to summarize his argument rather than picking the one that made him look the worst, then you might not have come away with such a poor impression as an immediate thought after reading just the headline.

• Locked thread