Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Current: 414,261

Showtime

Athena met your eyes. “Fabiyan is here. In orbit.”
You paused, the universe utterly still. Then: “Get me on my ship. And my Retinue.”
A puff of displaced air. The bridge of the ship was displayed for you, even as the Family jerked back in shock. The Retinue, too, were similarly disoriented. You ignored it.

“Astin De Merode.”
She glanced up in surprise. “Yes, Lord-Sire.”
“Give me the situation. What are we seeing?”
She touched keys, displayed the solar system in the lights above you. As she did so, you glanced at your Retinue. “To your posts. Vacation over.”

They shuffled away, returning to the Cathedral, the barracks, the Engines. In minutes, they were connecting to their subordinates - the ship waking up with a will that was your own.
“Madam.”
“Show me.”
“The new sensor contacts are in the general vicinity of the asteroid belt. An unidentified island of wraithbone, although it is transmitting Space Marine and Inquisition sigils. Near it, three Craftworlds. We’ve identified them as Bieltan, Iyanden, and Ulthwe.”
“Very good. And the new moon?”
She glanced at you. “It appears to be Titan, shifted half a billion kilometers. There are already gravity influences in the belt.”
“And the invasion force?”
“They’ve split up, are trapped between the two fleets. They are engaged at Ceres, Hypatia, Vesta, and Pallas. Local forces are contesting them, and we are getting reports of successful mutinies on the enemy ships at Pallas.”
“Excellent. Message the Inquisition ship.”

For close range, beamed radio worked fine for communications - but across solar systems, the delay was unacceptable. It would be twenty minutes between each statement, and you wanted a conversation. Your astropaths reached out, connected with their counterparts. Your heart sung as you saw the change - though he wore the form of an astropath, his form was all Fabiyan.

You smiled.
“Ohone.” The voice was husky.
“Hey. Been a bit.”
“Ten years, give or take. You?”
“About the same.”
He sounded startled. “Lost in the Warp?”
“Training. Titan.”
“Ah. My journey was less interesting, I think.”
“What’s the plan?”
He seemed to shift his eyes. “The Eldar here want to talk with you, and the High Lords. We’ve gotten some new information that may influence things.”
“Okay. Private conversations?”
“Inquisition only, if you would.”
You nodded, glanced at your companions. Limosa, Edourd, the Dwarf. Knoxie and Ching Shih. “You heard him. Let’s go.”

Your private meeting quarters. Last time you were here … ah, right. Meeting Amacita, who was trying to ease you into her coup. And before that, your traitorous mother. Not a place of good luck, you had to be honest. You wondered if this would change, but rather doubted it. Private conversations were usually bad news.

You briefly touched Fabiyan’s hand through the Astropath, and didn’t think anyone else noticed.

“So, what’s the news?”
“We’ve lost Ophelia VII.”
Limosa bit back a curse, and Knoxie backed away, to the wall. Odd.
“How?”
“Gorgon made a come back.” His tone was grim. “We’ve lost all the Church troops. If they go to Golgotha, we’re going to be in a bind.”
“Or if they come here.”
Edourd spoke, his tone almost panicked. “That is really bad.”
“Well, yes.”
“No, really bad. An alpha-plus psyker daemonhost with that level of power? And apparently only growing? Even if it was just the Church flipping sides, we would be facing defeat on either front - but this is … I don’t even have anything to compare it to.” He met your eyes. “We need to stop her.”
“That’s generally what we are trying to do.”
“No, before she got this powerful. Let’s use the Webway, warn yourself. Nip this in the bud.”
You hit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
A punch 10 years in the making. :allears:

"That was for interrupting me and Fabian during some time off."

Then punch him again, because I'm pretty sure that this *ominous warning* was what led us to cash that thing with Anna to try and kill Gorgon - which I think was what sent Fabian off into the Warp in the first place?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah, hitting him seems appropriate.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
:owned:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The_Final_Stand posted:

A punch 10 years in the making. :allears:

"That was for interrupting me and Fabian during some time off."

Then punch him again, because I'm pretty sure that this *ominous warning* was what led us to cash that thing with Anna to try and kill Gorgon - which I think was what sent Fabian off into the Warp in the first place?

Correct! :D

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Goddammit! You did use the webway, it didn't work. You cryptic dick head.

It would have worked if we'd opened with the exterminatus and scaled up from there.

On that note we've only called one exterminatus? That's not bad eh?

Plus whatever happening at Golgotha which is I guess a kind of exterminatus.

V: me too.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 21, 2016

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I called for an exterminatus the moment we arrived at that bullshit lesurie world.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you, not only did the future cryptic warning bullshit not improve the situation any it actively made things WORSE. Unless you have any ideas on how to make it so the situation only SEEMED hosed up but actually turned out well."

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Arkanomen posted:

I called for an exterminatus the moment we arrived at that bullshit lesurie world.

Same. People got all mad.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Can we stick a null rod in a stasis shield and have Ed deliver and glue it to Fabian's hammer just before we step out of the corridor and into that stupid battle with Gorgon? ?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Talk with your best and brightest about how things happened, and if it can actually be changed.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
No more time looping. That shits for the birds. The only way out is through.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I hear what you're saying.

Punch a hole entirely through time. Knot it off and prevent blood flow. Kill time.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

poor life choice posted:

Punch a hole entirely through time. Knot it off and prevent blood flow. Kill time.

This thread always makes me smile :D

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

poor life choice posted:

Why not? Time has been nothing but a nuisance so far.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 414,883

Diplomacy

You hit him again.
“Ohone, what are you doing?”
“Hitting you.”
“I get that. Why?”
“Because I promised myself I would. And it’s a ludicrously dumb idea.”
His eyes widened. “So we did do it.”
“And it was a dumb idea then too.”
“No, hear me out. A warning might let us change things.”
“It won’t. Who’s done the time travel here? It’s all loops and circles.”
He glanced at Limosa. “But it can change things. Or what we know as history.”
“Uh huh. How do you propose changing things?” You spoke over him. “Because you are going to be vague enough that we fail. I think it’s vital enough to make a deal with Anna. We leave Fabiyan in the Warp, and both Gorgon and Anna devour all the souls of a Maiden World.”
He met your gaze. “We can make it work.”
“Nope.”
“You owe me.”
You stared at him. “What?”
“I killed a thousand men for you. Bagged you Devries. Got revenge for killing your Retinue.”
“You calling that in now?”
“I am.”
You sighed. “Fine. One favor for an incredibly bad idea.” You knew it had happened, which is why you were doing it, which is why it happened… You shook your head. “Let’s try to optimize it this time. Who can we talk to in the past that might help us out? Change what we understand happens?” You glanced at the astropath wearing Fabiyan’s body language. “What did you offer for the Craftworlds? Was it related to this?”
He shifted uncomfortably. “Ah… a prison break.”
“Oh. Like of a Maiden world? Rescuing Eldar souls, or something?”
“Ah… breaking into the Palace of Pleasure.”
”FABIYAN!” Your voice was a screech, augmented by binary. “Of all the stupid, ill-conceived ideas…”
“It was the only deal they would accept. The Craftworlds defend Terra, for that.”
“You do remember Agatha’s World, right? At best, I’ll never see you again.”
“It’s for Terra.” His tone was soft. “Can you imagine fighting Huron without the Eldar? Even if I die, or get trapped there forever… one man is worth Terra.”
You growled. “I just got you back. No.”
He gestured helplessly. “Let’s win the battle first. Then we can decide how to go about it.”
“The Eldar will commit halfway, leave when they’ve accomplished whatever is their goal.”
“They won’t. If they try to weasel out, they know I won’t commit.”
“Even if they all die defending Terra, you aren’t sneaking into the Palace of She Who Thirsts.
“Ohone.”
“You are acting even dumber than Edourd…”
“Ohone.” His eyes were gentle. “I think it’s what I’m supposed to do. I … feel like it’s the right thing.”
“I don’t care.” You held his gaze. “I’m not letting you go.”
“Ohone…”
“Nope, discussion over.” Your tone was terse. “Now. What could we offer to get the Eldar help take out Gorgon? And don’t offer something stupid like invading the Garden of the Plague Lord.”

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

LowellDND posted:

Invading the Garden of the Plague Lord

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

For those who don't know the titles, the Palace of Pleasure is Slaanesh, and the Plague Lord is Nurgle. Both Chaos Gods, it would be about equivalent to trying to invade the God-Emperor's Throne room.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The only way for Fabiyan to accomplish his mission and for us not to lose him again is clearly for us to go with him.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
WE CAN CHANGE IT LET'S GO WITH HIM.

We also have a huge gap in memories that we can exploit Dr. Who style if we go back during our blackout. We terminate gorgon and spoof the resulting events with Anatasia's collaboration.

Doing that pisses off Slaneesh, Nurgle. Plays into Tzeentch's profile of needlessly complex plots that foil each other. Chaos eats its own and we liberate Eldar souls.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 21, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Can we take a second mortgage out on Limosa? :shrug:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Grognan posted:

We also have a huge gap in memories that we can exploit Dr. Who style if we go back during our blackout. We terminate gorgon and spoof the resulting events with Anatasia's collaboration. [/b]

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

LowellDND posted:

“Nope, discussion over.” Your tone was terse. “Now. What could we offer to get the Eldar help take out Gorgon? And don’t offer something stupid like invading the Garden of the Plague Lord.”

Voting we offer to invade the garden of the Plague Lord

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Ohone's 11 will be in and out without a trace, lets gooooo

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Reject Fabiyan. "Your debt is meaningless now and to play with time is to play the game of the Bird. The eldar are xeno scum. They are a doomed people and we will not be brought down with them. They have no right to make bargains and deals with us after so much treachery and callousness. The loop shall be cut. Outcomes settle and the gross tinkering of destinies and fates collapse here, now. No more circles and games. The Eldar commit here and now without expectation of reciprocity or they will not find allies with me again. The beggar cannot bargain."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
We owe the Eldar nothing but misery and pain! I say when we go back with Edourd, we scream Exterminatus instead of what we remember saying. gently caress them, gently caress causality, gently caress everything that isn't ours, the Omnissiah's, or Athena's!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

THIS

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Don't play Eldar games! Have we learned nothing!

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Don't play Eldar games! Have we learned nothing!

No, see, we'll go back and tell ourselves not to play Eldar games. Checkmate. :smaug:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
This thread is gonna vote to play more Eldar games and ai just want you to know, when we do, we deserve the bad end we'll get. gently caress the Eldar forever.

Also I'd like to change my team to gently caress the Eldar Forever.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

VanSandman posted:

This thread is gonna vote to play more Eldar games and ai just want you to know, when we do, we deserve the bad end we'll get. gently caress the Eldar forever.

Agree, then seize the forge world for AI Dissection I think Athena needs some tribute and lets see how the Eldar like betrayal.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Yes! Lets save Isha from ol' uncle Nurgle.

Just as planned

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

The only way for Fabiyan to accomplish his mission and for us not to lose him again is clearly for us to go with him.

I want to fuckin' try heroquesting again. THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY.

VanSandman posted:

Arkanomen posted:

Agree, then seize the forge world for AI Dissection I think Athena needs some tribute and lets see how the Eldar like betrayal.
Shows what you guys know. If we do this it's going to turn out to have been vital to the birth of Ynnead and what they wanted us to do all along.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

SergZpartan posted:

Yes! Lets save Isha from ol' uncle Nurgle.

Just as planned

Lets go everyone, Doesn't anyone else want to see papa Nurgle??

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Is there a smiley of a commissar throwing his bolter away? :dawkins101:

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Perhaps all the thousands of Eldar souls inside the paradise planet (was it agatha's world?) that Gorgon ended up eating might sway them?

Since we're doing time shenanigans anyway it's a win-win because Gorgon doesn't get a power boost and the Eldar get their precious souls.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
"If you're set on this, then we need help. When it's time, set the Eldar to identifying every last shard of Khaine they can. We'll rebuild their blasphemous xeno god and set it to good purpose. With the Great Serpent distracted, we might stand a chance. Yes, I'm going. Not up for discussion."

Tran fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 21, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 415,394

Elsewhere

Omegon looked about him. “An interesting choice.”
The background was a shadowy image of the Golden Throne, although there had been slight changes. The incense and tribute were lacking, instead replaced by emotions, memories. Grief, and loss, and loneliness. The skeletal figure of the God-Emperor seemed restrained as much as aided, tied to the Throne, struggling, struggling.

Lucifer glanced away. “I am … melancholy.”
“I can see that. Usually you prefer … optimism. Images of the Great Crusade.”
“Times, they are a’changing.”
“In our favor, I think.”
“I… am not looking forward to what happens next.”
“Necessary. And it will be good to see you again.”
“Likewise. But, the casting off… “ He grimaced. “A high price.”
“Do you see another path? The Cabal does not.”
“No. I never do.”
“And you were the only one strongest to do this.”
“A burdensome privilege.”
“Still. Better than the alternative. Endless war.”
“Or perhaps extinction. This … has a high price.”

A pause. Omegon sat down next to him. “Come now, old friend. What’s really bothering you?”
“Never liked AIs. They were enough trouble the last time.”
“Think it will be as bad as all that?”
“At least there are less this time. A bare handful, as compared to the company they had.”
“And they have STCs. We can leave behind the trappings of Mars.”
“Another unpleasant deal.” He met Omegon’s eyes. “Was it supposed to be like this? An empire of religious ignorance, praying to machines?”
A shrug. “You know how these things go. And it doesn’t have to stay like this. Times are changing.”
“True.” Lucifer looked at the figure on the Throne, feebly struggling. “True.”

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

See, this is why I suggested we get the Craftworlds to close in with the asteroids and then we blow the asteroids. After the chaos invaders are defeated, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Who's Omegon?

Voting we go full Kaos, not Chaos, but the true malstrom of order, not the stupid cluttered and disorganized mess of the warp but the flip side of the coin. The Galaxy is in turmoil, every faction at each other's throats, full scale combat like that has never been seen before as race besets creation besets invading menace brawling over an impossible prize. So lets take that blueprint and smear it over the other side of reality.

We have formidible resources, a race and a half of psykers and if things go to plan we'll have the battered remnants of Huron's armada. Go all in.

Block communications from Sol and smash Huron's fleet. Retrofit and under the guise of a beaten black fleet set sail for the Thirsty One. Get in touch with the Plague Lord and induce him into becoming the second prong on an attack on the Pleasure Palace. Then when it all turns to hell swipe the Isha from under Nurgle's nose while we're at it.