Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

just spitballing here but I'm pretty sure the cost of like two or maybe three of those snack food items would buy her a week's worth of rice, which is both less fattening and more filling by calorie count. idg where this "healthy food is more expensive" poo poo comes from.

She could even keep eating garbage but eat less of it. My calculations show less food costs less than more food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

normally i make kraft macaroni in the microwave, but sometimes the kids get a treat.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Normally I poo poo directly into my childrens mouths, but sometimes I treat them and let a large multinational food chain poo poo directly in their mouths.

At least that way they get a little toy with it.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Say Nothing posted:

People are fat because they can't afford to eat healthy food!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-help-diet.html

Oh don't. You'll get the helpful 'Why doesn't she live on beans and rice?' crowd that always show up in these threads. I'm sure she's lurking and waiting for their fascinating diet advice.

Plus this is the Daily Mail. She was no doubt mislead about the content of the article. I'll bet it's about 10% true.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

netally posted:

Plus this is the Daily Mail. She was no doubt mislead about the content of the article. I'll bet it's about 10% true.

It's pretty hard to exaggerate how gross the British people are

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

boom boom boom posted:

It's pretty hard to exaggerate how gross the British people are

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

normally i make kraft macaroni in the microwave, but sometimes the kids get a treat.

probably an accurate inference of what she really meant

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

netally posted:

Oh don't. You'll get the helpful 'Why doesn't she live on beans and rice?' crowd that always show up in these threads. I'm sure she's lurking and waiting for their fascinating diet advice.

even if none of it is true I still have nothing but contempt for that person and the needless and disproportionate burden she is deliberately and selfishly placing on our already overworked healthcare system to which she contributes nothing because nothing in life matters to her as much as the fleeting joy of shoving sugar into her face-folds

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I see it like this:

Some of the problems she has are a massive lack of education for people like her, reinforced by her background and upbringing, and the increasingly popular culture of instant gratification and celebrity idolisation (some of the British tabloids and these "womens" magazines are now so ridiculous to the point that they are like literal comedy sketches). In her mind, celebrities probably get to eat what they like, but because they can afford the "best" food, they don't get fat, at least not to the extent she has. This is the only way I can explain the "I'm fat because I can't afford healthy food". She is also probably too lazy to cook a decent meal from scratch, or perhaps lacks the know how.

Food is also absurdly cheap in the UK, relative to income and even benefits, as we pay no tax at all on staples like fruit, veg, meat, pulses, rice and so on. You only pay tax on the junk food poo poo she is eating too much of, so she would save money in the long run if she did what I used to do and just buy in bulk and cook batches of food that lasts for like 2 days straight. "Cooking" for her, if she makes the effort one night a week, might be sticking something in the oven for 30mins, that is frozen and pre-made, but most of the time it is snacks or microwave junk. Of course, she is also a greedy pig, and regardless of any disorder or type of food, it takes a lot of food to get that fat. She would probably still be overweight, though to a much lesser extent, if she ate healthier due to the sheer volume she must be consuming.

It's a multi-faceted problem: laziness on her behalf to understand the "problem" better, and the government's for not just issuing food stamps that can only be used on fruit, veg and meat, and no junk food. If I was unemployed, I could probably afford to use the bus; if I want a car I need to get a job. The same should be true if you are on benefits to the extent she is: you shouldnt be denied anything to keep you healthy and safe, but if you want treats, nice toys, holidays, then you need to work for it. The fact the government gives her money to spend on crap, for free, just reinforces her behaviour. I wouldn't extend this to the severely disabled of course, they should be provided a quality of life as best we can, but from what I can see, a lot of her issues are a combination of her own doing and reinforcement by the government.

As a tax payer in the UK, the I find the latter absurd. If you have an alcoholic or someone with a broken leg in treatment, you don't keep giving them booze or jumping on their leg to fix the loving problem.

e: Oh yeah, she could probably do with some exercise, but the UK is a shithole and you don't generally want to go outside as the streets are paved with dogshit and chavs, and it rains all the time.

spud fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 21, 2016

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
same

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

spud posted:

I see it like this:

Some of the problems she has are a massive lack of education for people like her, reinforced by her background and upbringing, and the increasingly popular culture of instant gratification and celebrity idolisation (some of the British tabloids and these "womens" magazines are now so ridiculous to the point that they are like literal comedy sketches). In her mind, celebrities probably get to eat what they like, but because they can afford the "best" food, they don't get fat, at least not to the extent she has. This is the only way I can explain the "I'm fat because I can't afford healthy food". She is also probably too lazy to cook a decent meal from scratch, or perhaps lacks the know how.

Food is also absurdly cheap in the UK, relative to income and even benefits, as we pay no tax at all on staples like fruit, veg, meat, pulses, rice and so on. You only pay tax on the junk food poo poo she is eating too much of, so she would save money in the long run if she did what I used to do and just buy in bulk and cook batches of food that lasts for like 2 days straight. "Cooking" for her, if she makes the effort one night a week, might be sticking something in the oven for 30mins, that is frozen and pre-made, but most of the time it is snacks or microwave junk. Of course, she is also a greedy pig, and regardless of any disorder or type of food, it takes a lot of food to get that fat. She would probably still be overweight, though to a much lesser extent, if she ate healthier due to the sheer volume she must be consuming.

It's a multi-faceted problem: laziness on her behalf to understand the "problem" better, and the government's for not just issuing food stamps that can only be used on fruit, veg and meat, and no junk food. If I was unemployed, I could probably afford to use the bus; if I want a car I need to get a job. The same should be true if you are on benefits to the extent she is: you shouldnt be denied anything to keep you healthy and safe, but if you want treats, nice toys, holidays, then you need to work for it. The fact the government gives her money to spend on crap, for free, just reinforces her behaviour. I wouldn't extend this to the severely disabled of course, they should be provided a quality of life as best we can, but from what I can see, a lot of her issues are a combination of her own doing and reinforcement by the government.

As a tax payer in the UK, the I find the latter absurd. If you have an alcoholic or someone with a broken leg in treatment, you don't keep giving them booze or jumping on their leg to fix the loving problem.

e: Oh yeah, she could probably do with some exercise, but the UK is a shithole and you don't generally want to go outside as the streets are paved with dogshit and chavs, and it rains all the time.

I think she just likes cake

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

i feel bad for her because if she were in america she could save a fortune with access to countless buffets. poor girl. :(

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slugnoid posted:

I think she just likes cake

Yeah that's what I really think, but SJW and poo poo....

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

spud posted:

I see it like this

lol @ you typing all those words out

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
now cross-post it to Facebook with a big "Or am I just being completely unreasonable?!!?!??" at the end and then bask in the affirmation of your idiot Facebook friends.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fat is beautiful

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

spud posted:

I see it like this:

this was actually an interesting read :)

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think the biggest problem of comparing being fat to drug addiction is that you do not need alcohol or heroin to survive while you do actually need to eat or you will die.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i just installed the mcdonalds app, i cant wait to get some hot deals delivered directly to my phone! #mickeyds #goldenarches

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
mcdonalds has "mozzarella" sticks now!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

I think the biggest problem of comparing being fat to drug addiction is that you do not need alcohol or heroin to survive while you do actually need to eat or you will die.

That's just what Big Agri wants you to believe.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

just spitballing here but I'm pretty sure the cost of like two or maybe three of those snack food items would buy her a week's worth of rice, which is both less fattening and more filling by calorie count. idg where this "healthy food is more expensive" poo poo comes from.

Good job identifying the subtext of a daily mail article. We totally q didnt get that

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a bone to pick posted:

I actually do need to alcohol to survive or else i will die of dts

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
To the people who always suggest rice and beans: is your diet 90% rice and beans, is that all you eat? If you're going to eat such tasteless and lovely food why not just eat Soylent? Why do you think telling people who eat unhealthy, sugary foods to make themselves happy are going to go to start eating grains and beans? Do you think maybe you have some kind of mental health issue?

Please get back to me, tia.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

Speak for yourself

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

To the people who always suggest rice and beans: is your diet 90% rice and beans, is that all you eat? If you're going to eat such tasteless and lovely food why not just eat Soylent? Why do you think telling people who eat unhealthy, sugary foods to make themselves happy are going to go to start eating grains and beans? Do you think maybe you have some kind of mental health issue?

Spices nigga how do they work?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

Is it really that odd a concept using a staple food as a staple food? Obviously someone isn't going to be eating just two foods; add some vegetables and some meat or what not and suddenly oh my god you have a meal that isn't loving chips and cookies. The 'healthy food is too expensive' poo poo is still bullshit. That pantry is what I'd expect if you let a child do the shopping.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

a bone to pick posted:

Rice and beans are delicious and healthy. Not that these alleged "people" aren't retarded but :cmon:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
White rice is not healthy at all

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Mange Mite posted:

White rice is not healthy at all

What's unhealthy about it?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Rice and beans are delicious and healthy. Not that these alleged "people" aren't retarded but :cmon:

That's my point though, of course these people could be eating healthier. Why not point them in a healthier direction rather than starting them with the most bland loving foods on this earth that they'll never touch again after one meal?

Also white rice is 90% carbs lol, its filled with "anti-nutrients", its not that amazing of a health food.

I would start a fatty on some buttered broccoli and chicken wings or something, anything other than rice and beans.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

"anti-nutrients" is mostly paleo bull-plop. Most 'anti-nutrients' in food that is typically cooked is broken down by cooking, who'd have thunk.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
99% of you retards saying "just subsist on rice and beans" have never had to eat only rice and beans for any length of time. You're basically suggesting the equivalent of that soylent poo poo, in that you're going 'don't worry about enjoying food, just treat it like fuel and nothing else!' like that's going to be helpful to a fat person trying to lose weight.

That said it isn't more expensive to buy healthier food than what that woman has in her cupboard if you shop carefully. I suspect this woman was just never educated on nutrition or cooking.

a bone to pick posted:

That's my point though, of course these people could be eating healthier. Why not point them in a healthier direction rather than starting them with the most bland loving foods on this earth that they'll never touch again after one meal?

basically this

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

What's unhealthy about it?

It's mostly starch (much less protein than even white flour) with a high glycemic index and no fiber.

It likely part of the reason all of asia is getting diabetes

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

"anti-nutrients" is mostly paleo bull-plop. Most 'anti-nutrients' in food that is typically cooked is broken down by cooking, who'd have thunk.

yeah I was pretty sure that was BS which is why I put it in quotes, still rice is extremely bland unless you're spicing up some jasmine rice, and god knows the people who can barely make tostino pizza rolls are going to gently caress up making rice.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Mange Mite posted:

It's mostly starch with a high glycemic index and no fiber.

It likely part of the reason all of asia is getting diabetes

Glycemic index goes out the window when you combine it with fats, proteins, & fiber--such as those found in beans. Sure it's not nutrient dense but it's cheap, tasty, easy to prepare, and versatile. Considering people have been eating rice for millenia and the obesity/diabetes thing has only been seen recently I'm guessing it's something besides the rice.

Keep in mind when I'm talkign rice and beans I mean 1:1 ratio of each, not some bullshit like this:

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Man i love rice and beans. Put a can of chipotle peppers in your batch and a little bit of lard and that's good eats I tell ya what

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I think the "rice and beans" is just like you know a base to start from. Buy some rice, some beans, taters, vegetables, dairy, meat, spices- and oh god you're suddenly shopping like an adult. None of these things are that expensive, you may have to eat pork loin instead of steak, but which ever way you go you're probably going to do better than chips and cookies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol at the goal posts frantically moving from 'just eat rice and beans' to 'rice and beans are just a jumping off point, then you can also buy all kinds of regular groceries too'

why not just say "shop like an adult, it's not as expensive as you think" from the beginning? That's a much better argument imo (although tbf most of these fat people were never properly taught to cook or buy food for themselves, I think that's obvious).

Also lol at 'just eat rice and beans, it's cheap and you'll lose weight! Just add lard in it to taste!' Kinda defeats the point no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Moridin920 posted:

lol at the goal posts frantically moving from 'just eat rice and beans' to 'rice and beans are just a jumping off point, then you can also buy all kinds of regular groceries too'

why not just say "shop like an adult, it's not as expensive as you think" from the beginning? That's a much better argument imo (although tbf most of these fat people were never properly taught to cook or buy food for themselves, I think that's obvious).

Also lol at 'just eat rice and beans, it's cheap and you'll lose weight! Just add lard in it to taste!' Kinda defeats the point no?

WTF you talking about.....who said "just eat rice and beans"

• Locked thread