Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nidoking posted:

Referring to Clover and her incessant smile:

She does say she's going to go call her fbi buddies (or whichever secret organization she works for) so I don't think she's planning on killing everyone in this path at least. Albeit her reasons for this is mostly because she wants to find whoever murdered Alice and kill them but I don't think she's aiming at mass murder. Also, I vaguely remember from another path that Alice told Clover to go through the door without her to go call some backup so from what I can gather those two think that as long as one of them can get out they can get some help to bust down the door and let the others escape as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She does say she's going to go call her fbi buddies (or whichever secret organization she works for) so I don't think she's planning on killing everyone in this path at least. Albeit her reasons for this is mostly because she wants to find whoever murdered Alice and kill them but I don't think she's aiming at mass murder. Also, I vaguely remember from another path that Alice told Clover to go through the door without her to go call some backup so from what I can gather those two think that as long as one of them can get out they can get some help to bust down the door and let the others escape as well.

Well, yeah, she's just leaving to call in whomever she can. But she is, more or less, flipping everyone the bird while she opens the door and smiling as she does it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's not Clover's fault her model has a weird smile!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

While I usually play devil's advocate for Clover, I have to admit that it's kind of a dick move to lock everyone in with a murderer and go "Don't worry, I'll be back to rescue you!"

Not to mention Tenmyouji locking everyone in with Zero, if Zero III's comments are to be believed, and just neglecting to mention who/where he is.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
What I want to know is why none of the other characters get knocked out or tied up when they have 9 BP. I mean, that's how that one branch ended when we finally got to 9 after all. And Clover is, well, Clover. I doubt she could do much to K if he wanted to stop her.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
So, Sigma and Phi are both letters in the greek alphabet. Sigma is the 18th letter, Phi is the 21st, and incidentally the 10th letter Kappa is repersented by the character K(Or more properly, the modern day K looks like the greek Kappa). Tried to think of any kind of number trickery with these like there was in 999, but I couldn't see any. Just interesting to note you could stretch K to also have a greek letter for a name.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

K can't be Kappa, he hasn't eaten any cucumbers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

While I usually play devil's advocate for Clover, I have to admit that it's kind of a dick move to lock everyone in with a murderer and go "Don't worry, I'll be back to rescue you!"

Not to mention Tenmyouji locking everyone in with Zero, if Zero III's comments are to be believed, and just neglecting to mention who/where he is.

Well, Clover's an idiot and more to the point kinda a dick. Tenmyouji about equally so. Not murderers though, which I think is an important distinction.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Except Clover totally is a murderer, just in another game and timeline.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Why are people voting for doing the "stupid Sigma" plan and not for something that will eventually get us through another plot lock?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GeneralYeti posted:

What I want to know is why none of the other characters get knocked out or tied up when they have 9 BP. I mean, that's how that one branch ended when we finally got to 9 after all. And Clover is, well, Clover. I doubt she could do much to K if he wanted to stop her.

Because they're not the main character. :v:

Speaking from a gameplay stand-point, though, I think the idea is that if everyone else got 9 BP but got knocked out, branching pathways could go on a bit TOO long. So the writer(s) just threw in a quick "Nope. You messed up." ending.

Cyouni posted:

Why are people voting for doing the "stupid Sigma" plan and not for something that will eventually get us through another plot lock?

To be fair, it would get knocked out in one update.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cyouni posted:

Because at this point the vote matters very little. At this point the thread will always go for 'welp we did one ending, let's see what happens when we do the other choice' or 'oh hey we can open a plot lock now'.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Cyouni posted:

Getting it out of the way so it'll be a straight shot to the good stuff.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
This ending just made me want to smack Sigma. At least they didn't ladle on the guilt, but betraying Ten and Quark was such a pointlessly dickish move, there's no way Clover wouldn't be leaving us all to rot the second the vote ended regardless. Why let just Clover leave when it could've been Clover and two actually decent people instead?

Oh well...it's an airless wasteland outside anyway, isn't it? If not for the bombs, the people left inside may have had the better deal.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GeneralYeti posted:

Usually, if someone gets 9 BP, they're not dumb enough to just stand around and gab like Sigma did while everyone figures out what's going on. They're usually going right for the lever and when they pull it there's really no point stopping them since it only opens once.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's not very much in it but we're outta time; looks like we're indeed going to betray Tenmyouji in round 2.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RelentlessImp posted:

Tenmyouji so very needs another loving betrayal after pulling that poo poo. Him and Quark can rot in this place. And Quark's poo poo is just annoying. "I know grandpa is condemning you all to a slow death, but he's a good guy, really!" gently caress off! If you assholes had just agreed to all Ally we'd be out of here already! Die in a fire, Quark! Get hosed, Tenmyouji! "Good People Die"? How about "Irredeemable Assholes Die"? "I want to be a good person"? Like hell! You all want to be backstabbing chickenshits! Beat Dio into a mass of twitching flesh barely covering nerve endings! Stomp Clover's ribcage into her heart, if it even loving exists! Butcher Tenmyouji for food! Take Quark's hat away and claim his powers for your own! Sigma, wake the gently caress up and realize the power you wield and use it to make these people's lives as miserable as they've made yours! ALL OF THEM DESERVE DEATH! REAP THE CRIMSON HARVEST!

tl;dr: I did not care for this at all.

please dont post your masturbation fantasies in this thread

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cyouni posted:

Completionist tendencies are very strong.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Glad someone posted about this in the game thread, it's fun reading the reactions and it's a good refresher going into the next game.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Completionist tendencies are very strong.

Always gotta go where they don't want you to first, otherwise you might miss something. "What's that you say? There's impending doom/a missing family member/plot about to happen if I don't do something right away? gently caress that I'm going to faff about for a few more days/weeks/months." Gaming is weird.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Brightman posted:

Glad someone posted about this in the game thread, it's fun reading the reactions and it's a good refresher going into the next game.

Always gotta go where they don't want you to first, otherwise you might miss something. "What's that you say? There's impending doom/a missing family member/plot about to happen if I don't do something right away? gently caress that I'm going to faff about for a few more days/weeks/months." Gaming is weird.

I have to go to the castle to stop the assassins from killing the king? Let me just wander until every house and steal everything that isn't nailed down first in case I get locked out of this zone after advancing the scenario.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
One of my dreams is to make a game full of secrets where you have to get to the plot objectives quickly in order to find them. You can take your time searching and talking to everyone, but when you get to the princess's room, she's dead. You think that's how the story is supposed to go until one of your friends tells you he went straight to her room and caught the assassin in time. Hopefully, you learn to save your exploration for a more appropriate time.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nidoking posted:

One of my dreams is to make a game full of secrets where you have to get to the plot objectives quickly in order to find them. You can take your time searching and talking to everyone, but when you get to the princess's room, she's dead. You think that's how the story is supposed to go until one of your friends tells you he went straight to her room and caught the assassin in time. Hopefully, you learn to save your exploration for a more appropriate time.

That was one of the things I really liked about Majora's Mask- if you didn't interfere with the timeline, things happened that locked you out of certain things until you reset to stick your nose in.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
That also happens before the first (non-tutorial) mission in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You do get one warning, but if you dick around too long, the hostages in the building you're infiltrating get executed.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's elements of that in the Dead Rising games, and Long Live The Queen and the IF game Varicella both do similar things, too. I imagine you don't see it too often because some people can't stand to play a game with an everpresent timer -- even the relatively lenient Majora's Mask has had a solid amount of complaints about the time limit in retrospectives about it (which is honestly just bizarre to me)

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

There's elements of that in the Dead Rising games, and Long Live The Queen and the IF game Varicella both do similar things, too. I imagine you don't see it too often because some people can't stand to play a game with an everpresent timer -- even the relatively lenient Majora's Mask has had a solid amount of complaints about the time limit in retrospectives about it (which is honestly just bizarre to me)

Which IMO is a crying shame, because it adds an whole other layer that can be used for writing, challenge, and accomplishment. Dead Rising is a great example, actually. As I recall, its timed events are at least somewhat consistent across the various plot routes you can be taking.

Having the world just happen at its own pace and reacting to how the player intervenes is a goddamn goldmine for game ideas that is largely untapped.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm assuming that there are 9 character endings, one true ending, and the rest are game overs (although some may have keys to plot locks on them). Without spoiling, am I right?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

I've heard of accessing the morphogenetic field but this is ridiculous!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

alcharagia posted:

I've heard of accessing the morphogenetic field but this is ridiculous!

I'm going to assume that I was right on the money?
It's not that hard. We have had character endings before, 9 characters.
999 had a true ending.
And we had a bad end that helped us ("The play has ended, applaud!").

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I think it was more a joke on your user name.

Anyway, you're both right and not.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Vil posted:

I think it was more a joke on your user name.

Anyway, you're both right and not.

What do you mean?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
that your forums username is junpei

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

alcharagia posted:

that your forums username is junpei

I was talking to Vil.
And I choose this both for 999 and Persona 3.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Junpei posted:

And I choose this both for 999 and Persona 3.

Really? That's unKanny :downsrim:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There'll be an update this evening but first please enjoy this post from 2013:

Heavy neutrino posted:

Why are you angry that Fedule is performing good deeds :confused:

Besides, if Fedule's going to stop updates at every big reveal and cliffhanger, this LP might finish in the year 2015. You should buy the game if you can't wait!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fedule posted:

There'll be an update this evening but first please enjoy this post from 2013:

Heavy neutrino posted:

Fedule posted:

The clock on my last clear file was about 40 hours so that's our guidance figure. The LP save is 32 hours.

Which is to say, perhaps six months.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Junpei posted:

What do you mean?

Believe it or not, the ending layout is a spoiler.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Speaking of slow progress,

Not a lot left!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

tiistai posted:

Not a lot left!

I never stopped believing in you.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
You're the best, tiistai :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

tiistai posted:

Not a lot left!

This made my day, amazing as always. Can't wait for Sigma and Tenmyouji. Any chance you might do others for side characters like dead old woman or Zero 3 or G-OLM?

Blinus fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 22, 2016

• Locked thread