Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I thought "Bombad Jedi" was hilarious. Jar-Jar wearing the Jedi cloak, but his eye-stalk things making two little bumps at the top of the hood, Padme's weary, resigned tone when C3PO tells her leaving on the ship is no longer an option... All she says is "Jar-Jar?" and C3PO says "I'm afraid so."

She doesn't even need or want to know what he did, she just accepts that their ship is trashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jar-Jar episodes usually aren't actually too bad, he's surprisingly tolerable on the show. Battle droids on the other hand csn be pretty goddamn annoying when they're played for humor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MrMojok posted:

I thought "Bombad Jedi" was hilarious. Jar-Jar wearing the Jedi cloak, but his eye-stalk things making two little bumps at the top of the hood, Padme's weary, resigned tone when C3PO tells her leaving on the ship is no longer an option... All she says is "Jar-Jar?" and C3PO says "I'm afraid so."

She doesn't even need or want to know what he did, she just accepts that their ship is trashed.

Jar Jar is the big decider for his episodes, depending on how much you can tolerate him. Thankfully, he's treated like poo poo and nobody can stand him. One of the best episodes of the 6th season actually involves Jar Jar getting paired with Mace, who is utterly exasperated with him.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Exactly as it should be. I can't wait until I get up to the Mace episode (I am still on S2)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Paragon8 posted:

It's kind of interesting how difficult communication is in Star Wars. Hologram transmissions only seem to really be used by heads of state or super high ranking people. Aside from wireframe schematics there isn't much visual communication present in the movies at least. I know in the books there's a lot of holonet and holo-dramas etc going around.

It kind of lends credence to how quickly the Jedi were mythologised both in the period between the prequels and the OT and between the OT and The Force Awakens. Most information is literally just 2nd hand campfire tales which make places like Cantinas super important meeting areas.

I'm pretty sure we can chalk up Finn and Rey's conception of the Jedi as legendary as a product of First Order control of the local communications and news, with only occasional scraps of outside information on such topics making it in. Communication in Star Wars does suck, but not to that degree.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The movie did point out that the First Order had to scavenge the map data from the Empire's old archives. Perhaps destroying the Galactic government might have been a bad move when the Empire would be more than willing to enact a scorched earth policy?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've always treated Star Wars as this massive galaxy that is only sparsely populated once you move beyond the Core Worlds. It lends credence to the idea that Mos Eisley or Maz's Castle are important hubs because they're literally the only civilization for several light years.

Supposedly, it's denser than that, but plot demands and stuff, heh. You're not wrong, thematically, the Outer Rim is supposed to suggest that feeling of hardscrabble outposts.

(It's from the old Atlas, so no longer officially canon, but considering how involved Jason Fry still is with NuCanon and the basic map is the same, why the heck not.)

Galactic population density

Tatooine's lovely neighborhood

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 23, 2016

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

ecureuilmatrix posted:

You're not wrong, thematically, the Outer Rim is supposed to suggest that feeling of hardscrabble outposts.

I'm reading Tarkin now, and I was surprised at how much Luceno has hammered home this connection Tarkin and Palpatine have because they're both from the Outer Rim. Naboo feels so lush and refined that it's hard to believe it's in the same part of space as Tatooine, Dagobah, or Eriadu. Especially when Padme sees slaves and learns about the edge of the Republic's control and acts like she had no idea she was so close to this scum and villainy. It's not too "unrealistic" or whatever, there are plenty of cities that identify with faraway cultural centers more than their immediate surroundings. But it's still hard to see what kind of shared background Palpatine and Tarkin really have because of that geography.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Megachile posted:

I'm reading Tarkin now, and I was surprised at how much Luceno has hammered home this connection Tarkin and Palpatine have because they're both from the Outer Rim. [...] But it's still hard to see what kind of shared background Palpatine and Tarkin really have because of that geography.

I might be misremembering, but isn't it because both of them were viewed as provincial rubes when they entered Coruscant politics?

(Of course, in Palpy's case, the rube act was a bit deliberate. Being the kindly uncorrupt guy from the boonies helped him to get elected Chancellor.)

For Padme, I guess you could say she was young and untraveled?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ecureuilmatrix posted:

For Padme, I guess you could say she was young and untraveled?

Sure, Padme becomes queen at the age of 14. She'd probably never been off Naboo before that.

I would say it's like George Bush never having travelled abroad before he became president, but it's probably more like if a president had never left their own state before they became president.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jar Jar is the big decider for his episodes, depending on how much you can tolerate him. Thankfully, he's treated like poo poo and nobody can stand him. One of the best episodes of the 6th season actually involves Jar Jar getting paired with Mace, who is utterly exasperated with him.

Let's not forget that it's heavily implied that Jar Jar gets laid by an alien queen in those episodes. Also, him calling Mace Windu "Masterin' Mace" will never not be funny to me.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Galactic population density

Are we supposed to just assume that the density of inhabited systems is fairly constant? 'Cause that map is actually kind of meaningless, people per cubic lightyear is a much more useful figure...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

how are the Hutt's able to control so much stuff? Can they even fly ships or anything?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I always assumed it was only the really successful Hutts who got massive and immobile, and the ones still on the go building their empire were still lean and hungry. So for a Hutt, fat is a status thing it means you dont have to move on your own, youve got people to do your moving for you. The Special Edition even gives credence to this idea with a relatively lithe Jabba making his threats in person.

On the other hand, I am a little weirded out by the idea that they are literally a race of crime lords. What did they do before space travel? What suits them so much to this profession? What do the vast majority of them do with their time?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Earwicker posted:

how are the Hutt's able to control so much stuff? Can they even fly ships or anything?

In the old EU, the Hutts were historically one of the dominant powers in the galaxy even before the Republic was created, because they would go to primitive planets, pretend to be gods descending from the heavens, and bind their entire species into indentured servitude indefinitely.

There was also all this stuff about how Hutts are immune to most poisons, immune to Jedi mind tricks, capable of hermetically sealing themselves so they can survive temporarily in a vacuum, highly resistant to blasters and physically far stronger than humans, but they're also incredibly lazy and let their lackeys do all their work for them while they spend all their time eating and sleeping.

They were originally a warrior race but eventually reorganised their entire society and culture into competing crime families.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I always assumed that Jabba the Hutt was just a singularly good crime lord and the whole "Hutts are super-awesome" thing was just the EU doing the usual EU thing of assuming every member of a species was like the one who shows up in the film. I guess the Clone Wars cartoon put that one to rest technically.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I guess it kind of works in a renaissance style Florentine Families with Space Slugs kind of way?

There was never a story more full of pain than the story of Jabba and Jubiette.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 24, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kind of makes me think of the future humans from WALL-E

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I always assumed that Jabba the Hutt was just a singularly good crime lord and the whole "Hutts are super-awesome" thing was just the EU doing the usual EU thing of assuming every member of a species was like the one who shows up in the film. I guess the Clone Wars cartoon put that one to rest technically.

True. The Hutts being the Mafia species is fine - I don't really go out of my way to expect much nuance in Star Wras media - but I'm not entirely sure why they were picked out to be wanked almost as hard as Karen Traviss did with the MANDOS in the "better than everyone at everything" stakes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That immune to mind tricks thing is weird to me as well, I never figured it needed to be a racial thing, I just assumed Jabba was no "Weak minded fool". And as Obi Wan said "The force can have a strong influence on the weak minded."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

remusclaw posted:

That immune to mind tricks thing is weird to me as well, I never figured it needed to be a racial thing, I just assumed Jabba was no "Weak minded fool". And as Obi Wan said "The force can have a strong influence on the weak minded."
Lots of the early EU stuff got put together by West End games for the RPG, it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Wheat Loaf posted:

True. The Hutts being the Mafia species is fine - I don't really go out of my way to expect much nuance in Star Wras media - but I'm not entirely sure why they were picked out to be wanked almost as hard as Karen Traviss did with the MANDOS in the "better than everyone at everything" stakes.

I don't mind it nearly as much with the Hutts because they're clearly supposed to be villains. Okay I guess the Mandalorians originally were too, but the "perfect in every way" Mandos didn't really start until KT who was trying her hardest to make them noble heroes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Here is a man with his face and hands inches away from molten steel. He is suffering no discomfort.

probably because he was raised since birth with lightsaber and this is probably the 7th time this year he had to plunge it into/cut through a door.

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the old EU, the Hutts were historically one of the dominant powers in the galaxy even before the Republic was created, because they would go to primitive planets, pretend to be gods descending from the heavens, and bind their entire species into indentured servitude indefinitely.

There was also all this stuff about how Hutts are immune to most poisons, immune to Jedi mind tricks, capable of hermetically sealing themselves so they can survive temporarily in a vacuum, highly resistant to blasters and physically far stronger than humans, but they're also incredibly lazy and let their lackeys do all their work for them while they spend all their time eating and sleeping.

They were originally a warrior race but eventually reorganised their entire society and culture into competing crime families.

plus they are very long lived. jabba was like 600 something when he got killed.

I only watched bits and pieces of the show. I remember some dexter jekster dark jedi being straight up executed with a blaster to the back of the neck. I will have to give it a watch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

plus they are very long lived. jabba was like 600 something when he got killed.

Yeah, I think there was one Hutt who was about 1000 years old. Jabba's dad was also fed to a Sarlacc but apparently it finds Hutts indigestible (though I imagine it probably took one look at his dreadlocks and decided it wasn't that hungry).

quote:

I only watched bits and pieces of the show. I remember some dexter jekster dark jedi being straight up executed with a blaster to the back of the neck. I will have to give it a watch.

Guy had four arms and dual-wielded double-bladed lightsabres, too.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Megachile posted:

I'm reading Tarkin now, and I was surprised at how much Luceno has hammered home this connection Tarkin and Palpatine have because they're both from the Outer Rim.
Naboo is the Mid-Rim but I guess when you get into the Core/Colonies they might lump them together.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Isn't more that the Hutts are smug as gently caress and everyone else just rolls their eyes at them.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lots of the early EU stuff got put together by West End games for the RPG, it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of it.

This is pretty much it. Nien Nunb is a pilot, therefroe Sullustans get pigeonholed as being pilots and navigators. Bothan spies got the location of the second death star, therefore their culture is built around intrigue and there are lots of Bothan spies and hackers/slicers. Chewbacca was a good mechanic, therefore Wookies are mechanically gifted. Jabba could resist mind control, therefore Hutts are immune too force compulsion. No one could be an unusual member of their species, every on-screen character had to be the example for their species or culture.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Servetus posted:

This is pretty much it. Nien Nunb is a pilot, therefroe Sullustans get pigeonholed as being pilots and navigators. Bothan spies got the location of the second death star, therefore their culture is built around intrigue and there are lots of Bothan spies and hackers/slicers. Chewbacca was a good mechanic, therefore Wookies are mechanically gifted. Jabba could resist mind control, therefore Hutts are immune too force compulsion. No one could be an unusual member of their species, every on-screen character had to be the example for their species or culture.

That's just kinda become A Star Wars Universe Trope though...various species have their natural gifts, there are outliers that don't follow the trend, and its all just very pulpy and unambiguous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

That's just kinda become A Star Wars Universe Trope though...various species have their natural gifts, there are outliers that don't follow the trend, and its all just very pulpy and unambiguous.

It's pretty dumb and not really backed up in the films. Even Ziro from the Clone Wars is Jabba's uncle or something rather than a random unrelated Hutt.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's just wierd that they often just ran in the opposite direction of what makes sense by paying attention to dialog and what happens on screen.

Jabba is called Jabba the Hutt, so clearly Hutt is either an honorary or a nickname, or possibly it's an indicator that he stands out from other crime lords by being a Hutt, so he is being singled out. Like Johnny "Two Time" or Jimmy "The Greek" or whatever. It's like being called Billy the Human, it only makes sense as a nickname if it stands out in the profession, not if every Hutt is a gangster.

The "weak minded" statements make it clear that mind tricks only work on people who aren't strong willed, but they decide, no it has to be a special property for anyone who isn't affected by them. It can't possibly be that Jedi have limits.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 25, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KurdtLives posted:

Isn't more that the Hutts are smug as gently caress and everyone else just rolls their eyes at them.

I don't know, maybe. I don't feel like I ever really got that impression though it's been a while since I read any of it. :shrug:

Oh, yeah, I remembered something else I meant to mention: there was one Hutt from a comic who had half his head eaten by a space monster, and Mace Windu's all like, "Oh, it'll probably finish growing back in another hundred years."

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Today I leaned that blackDuro-face was a thing.

http://www.starwars.com/news/slugthrowers-part-2

quote:

The anti-alienism of the New Order was perhaps nowhere more evident than in the Imperial City premiere of The Kallea Cycle by Maestro Trebian Shullos in 3 ABY. An opera about the forging of the Hydian Way hyperspace route, the Duros explorer Banu Hydia was shamelessly portrayed by Chandrilan human bass singer Amaro Fonteen in ridiculous green facepaint and mock Duro makeup instead of by an actual Duro double-bass vocalist.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

You'd think the GFFA would have better makeup effects...

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Yes, throwing out the EU to replace it with this was a good move.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

Today I leaned that blackDuro-face was a thing.

http://www.starwars.com/news/slugthrowers-part-2

A rather unsubtle way of portraying speciesism in the Empire, but the image is hilarious (and ridiculous in the same way that blackface looks to us today). That in-universe opera program was one of the quirkiest narratives in the Atlas.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

i81icu812 posted:

Yes, throwing out the EU to replace it with this was a good move.

The article is from January 21, 2014 and belongs to the old EU, which officially ended on April 25, 2014.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Expanded_universe

However, as to whether the new EU really is any better:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vader%E2%80%99s_Many_Prosthetic_Parts

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Also, remember that it only took the New EU about five months to come up with Sheev.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
We need a Change.org petition to make Jizz canon again.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Empress Theonora posted:

We need a Change.org petition to make Jizz canon again.

Man look at this Jizz wailer, wailing about the lack of Jizz.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think the existence of Jizz music in the EU is evidence enough that Lucasfilm would just put the stamp of approval on anything and didn't even bother reading half of the poo poo it put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think the existence of Jizz music in the EU is evidence enough that Lucasfilm would just put the stamp of approval on anything and didn't even bother reading half of the poo poo it put out.

Jizz-wailer was what it was called as early as at least the novelizations. Can't pin this one on the EU.