Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Goodpart posted:

A not-insignificant amount of primary school teachers "just love kids" and will announce it at every given opportunity as if it's their most important qualification. Day loving one of uni in a b.Ed and you're doing the stupid meet and greet bullshit, the question gets asked: "Why do you want to be a teacher?" -- the response from the primary school lot was exactly what you'd expect, and almost all of them were denser than a second coat of paint.

They are universally terrible, educationally speaking.

Ironically this is one of the understated qualities of a good teacher. You kind of have to be a bit dumb, and willing to put up with a lot of bullshit 'for the kids'.

If you are getting into education with a respect for knowledge and a desire to provide rich learning experiences (as described in something like the Quality Teaching Framework), then you are setting yourself up for a lot of pain as novice teacher. I felt really bad whenever I resorted to using a more traditional textbook based approach (which was all the time). When I discovered that veteran teachers spent their holidays coming up with one or two sets of quality lessons, I felt less bad about myself and more frustrated with the profession of teaching.

I understand the motivation behind a personality test to weed unsuitable teachers out, but I can't see it working in practice. It is pretty easy to bullshit out the qualities of a good teacher (which you constantly hear from lecturers or at an open day sales pitch). The sort of personality problems that might get picked up on a personality test (poor communication/English skills) will almost certainly manifest when the student undertakes a prac. In other words, it seems like a personality test is attempting to band aid problems associated with how practicums are rubber-stamped, instead of being used for their intended purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
re: teachers, pay them more and let the market work out who the better teachers are

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That doesn't justify being an astoundingly lovely teacher (and believe me, I've had my share of those). I was the kind of student who didn't mind learning out of books, but if you're just a straight up horrible person or don't know your subject then no amount of teacher training is going to make you better. Allow me to tender the following examples:

A maths teacher who showed her work, but the work was all wrong
An English teacher who couldn't pronounce 'Mahatma Gandhi' properly and didn't know the man's real first name (we were discussing quotations from him, so it was rather relevant) and got extraordinarily pissy with me when I corrected her
A Geography teacher who didn't know anything about the Balkan States
PE teachers who cared only about football and literally nothing else
A History teacher who tried to have me expelled just for being autistic, despite me doing nothing wrong besides forgetting to hand in an assessment
Any kind of teacher who pretends bullying isn't a thing or doesn't matter

Remember, students have to contend with bullshit too.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
No see you've conflated resilence with being stupid, and that's part of the problem. The best teachers are intelligent, intuitive and care deeply about the job, but also have a thick enough skin to deal with the bullshit associated with being in a school -- of which there is a lot.

But EVEN THEN, the ones who are otherwise suited for the job that don't make it are a combination of poorly supported, poorly resourced, poorly coordinated, bullied, chronically underappreciated, overworked, or just loving mismanaged. I can safely say that I left due to at least five of the above, and I've been told since that they're still trying to patch the hole I left there six months ago.

The real problem is the crowd of teachers who are dumb, lead by dumb people, working with dumb people. They get into this awful holding pattern of being the warm body in the seat, offering literally nothing, just loving happy to be there because it's secure work and the holidays are only X weeks away. The school meets its standards because of the swans who furiously paddle around these barnacles, and amusingly, they're usually the contracted workers that the school can't justify keeping at the end of the year. You may think this is only the case in the worst schools but they're frighteningly common.

The executive tends to get along well with the warm body sorts because they're unchallenging and unflinchingly obedient, so in return they're held to account far less. The real proof is out of the mouths of babes. The kids know what's up.

Pracs only weed out the worst of it; anyone who is functional but disordered will make it through with ease. I wholeheartedly support a personality test and a rigourous aptitude test on the proviso that the department compensates successful applicants more adequately; else it's just slashing the job market to reduce overflow in the name of "quality control". Like, you're talking about the education and wellbeing of an entire generation of kids here. You don't gently caress with that.

To wit, the primary lot would be hacked to pieces if it happened because the quality of teachers (and human beings) tends to skew at least a little more favourably in high schools. That's not to say there aren't great primary teachers or poo poo secondary ones, but anyone who's been through a b.Ed course or similar knows what's up.

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 24, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Birb Katter posted:

re: teachers, pay them more and let the market work out who the better teachers are

That's actually a nice design imo

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think the main problem is that the school system in general is fundamentally broken. It was created by idiots with a ridiculous amount of false assumptions centuries ago, it needs a total overhaul

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

:australia:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

This is just ambiguous, are you crying for the flag, are you crying because the UPF guys don't know that the Betoota Advocate is satire or both?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It brings up a good theory: if you throw in a symbol for everyone to be proud of, what's the inevitable protesting rear end in a top hat going to actually do? Will they burn a flag that also has their favorite symbol on it?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Birb Katter posted:

This is just ambiguous, are you crying for the flag, are you crying because the UPF guys don't know that the Betoota Advocate is satire or both?

death of the author, interpret my single smiley as you will

(it's because the UPF guys are inhumanly stupid - even if you'd never heard of the Betoota Advocate, to read that as anything other than satire you would have to be a paranoid, poorly educated knee-jerk reactionary who genuinely believed that Aboriginals and Moslems were banding together to usurp the country from its legitimate white owners)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lets just make the flags out of asbestos, problem solved.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Goodpart posted:

No see you've conflated resilence with being stupid, and that's part of the problem. The best teachers are intelligent, intuitive and care deeply about the job, but also have a thick enough skin to deal with the bullshit associated with being in a school -- of which there is a lot.

But EVEN THEN, the ones who are otherwise suited for the job that don't make it are a combination of poorly supported, poorly resourced, poorly coordinated, bullied, chronically underappreciated, overworked, or just loving mismanaged. I can safely say that I left due to at least five of the above, and I've been told since that they're still trying to patch the hole I left there six months ago.

The real problem is the crowd of teachers who are dumb, lead by dumb people, working with dumb people. They get into this awful holding pattern of being the warm body in the seat, offering literally nothing, just loving happy to be there because it's secure work and the holidays are only X weeks away. The school meets its standards because of the swans who furiously paddle around these barnacles, and amusingly, they're usually the contracted workers that the school can't justify keeping at the end of the year. You may think this is only the case in the worst schools but they're frighteningly common.

The executive tends to get along well with the warm body sorts because they're unchallenging and unflinchingly obedient, so in return they're held to account far less. The real proof is out of the mouths of babes. The kids know what's up.

Pracs only weed out the worst of it; anyone who is functional but disordered will make it through with ease. I wholeheartedly support a personality test and a rigourous aptitude test on the proviso that the department compensates successful applicants more adequately; else it's just slashing the job market to reduce overflow in the name of "quality control". Like, you're talking about the education and wellbeing of an entire generation of kids here. You don't gently caress with that.

To wit, the primary lot would be hacked to pieces if it happened because the quality of teachers (and human beings) tends to skew at least a little more favourably in high schools. That's not to say there aren't great primary teachers or poo poo secondary ones, but anyone who's been through a b.Ed course or similar knows what's up.
At the risk of being indelicate, most of the issues you describe could pretty much be applied to any industry. Unless you are connected to the teaching game this may be regarded as a bit 'meh' to some people.

Besides that I agree with your conclusions. I'm not a teacher, but I know enough of them.

I'm a parent in the process of moving a family between schools based on a degraded learning environment. On reflection I've concluded that people can be wilfully blind to a teacher's ability due to emotional ties children have to thier friends.

Teaching might be a different without that, but you obviously can't escape it.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Trapezium Dave posted:

Lets just make the flags out of asbestos, problem solved.

Would give this a lot more relevance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWKrsJX9N4

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
drat that Stan Grant video is powerful stuff, required viewing.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

No-one make any jokes about it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Starshark posted:

Shut the gently caress up you petty piece of poo poo.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Amethyst posted:

Yeah, he didn't pull any punches.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Starshark posted:

Amethyst posted:

Shut the gently caress up you petty piece of poo poo.

Don't even joke about making jokes about it apparently

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How many 64ths indigenous is Stan Grant?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
We also shouldn't be conflating personality here with actual aptitude. Personality, by it's own definition, doesn't change much at all during adulthood which means if you are filtering specifically for certain personality traits which are stable and express themselves in some form over a variety of situations. The issue here is that while personality is important, there's other key factors (knowledge, ability) which can heavily influence teaching ability. I haven't done a search, but I'll see if I can fond any studies conducted on "the teaching personality" or whatever. Finally, unless you are going to unleash something along the lines of the MMPI-2, then you are going to have to consider whether the test is too easy to "read" (and therefore game). This last point is crucial, the more that is riding on the personality test, the more people will attempt to answer in the way which makes them look the best.

I'm really agreeing with

open24hours posted:

You're making a good case for reform then. Maybe make it a four (five?) year degree?

Smegmatron posted:

It's already six years if you do a B.Ed/B.Whatever combined or B.Whatever/M.Teach. I think you can wrap it all up in four and a half if you do a 3 year bachelors and a graduate diploma.

Maybe they could reform it by making people wait until they finish their undergrad so they don't start a six year teaching degree when they're 18, and then sit down and have a chat with them before undertaking postgraduate study to make sure it's what they really want to do and that they're prepared for it. You know, like some sort of interview, perhaps.

here because it does appear that reform is needed, although I am questioning whether the focus should be on personality, or whether it should focus on ability and aptitude.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Graic Gabtar posted:

At the risk of being indelicate, most of the issues you describe could pretty much be applied to any industry. Unless you are connected to the teaching game this may be regarded as a bit 'meh' to some people.

Besides that I agree with your conclusions. I'm not a teacher, but I know enough of them.

I'm a parent in the process of moving a family between schools based on a degraded learning environment. On reflection I've concluded that people can be wilfully blind to a teacher's ability due to emotional ties children have to thier friends.

Teaching might be a different without that, but you obviously can't escape it.

Plenty of industries have stupid people doing stupid things, but if someone who sits at a desk all day half-asses their job for years on end, it hurts their employer and maybe some associated entities.

If one teacher half-asses it for about a year, 30-150 kids get screwed out of a decent education not just for that year, but also for the following years because they've missed out on important foundational skills. If half a school is half-assing it for five years, you've basically screwed an entire cohort out of a chance at any sort of social mobility.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Laserface posted:

Aborigines: You will always have to justify your racial heritage.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

loving lmao man. Glad I don't need to click the "aboriginal memes" facebook page when I can just come to the auspol thread for the same racist jokes, only with a thin veneer of irony and """""humor""""

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Starshark posted:

You dont have to, but I think its OK to ask someone what their ancestry is.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Amethyst posted:

loving lmao man. Glad I don't need to click the "aboriginal memes" facebook page when I can just come to the auspol thread for the same racist jokes, only with a thin veneer of irony and """""humor""""

I don't like you or your peoples, you dance funny and your music is bad. You are very right in this case though, this is /pol reject edgetroll here today.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Laserface posted:

You dont have to, but I think its OK to ask someone what their ancestry is.

Hmm, and why were you asking about Grant's ancestry I wonder :allears:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Laserface posted:

If you'd watched the actual video then you would actually know more about his heritage.

watch the video.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Starshark posted:

Hmm, and why were you asking about Grant's ancestry I wonder :allears:

You know you could have just answered 32.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Laserface posted:

You know you could have just answered 32.

Andrew Bolt account spotted

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Starshark posted:

Non-Aborigines: You will always have to justify your respect for racial heritage.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Jesus. It's definitely me who ruins the thread, and not the above idiots.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Smegmatron posted:

Plenty of industries have stupid people doing stupid things, but if someone who sits at a desk all day half-asses their job for years on end, it hurts their employer and maybe some associated entities.

If one teacher half-asses it for about a year, 30-150 kids get screwed out of a decent education not just for that year, but also for the following years because they've missed out on important foundational skills. If half a school is half-assing it for five years, you've basically screwed an entire cohort out of a chance at any sort of social mobility.

Yeah, well teaching unions obviously don't see it that way.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Amethyst posted:

Amethyst posted:

Seriously, posting provocative stuff like 'this video that shows how racist australia really is' was just asking for trouble. Or you're right. Could go either way.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Amethyst posted:

I asked a pretty simple question to get a rise. you just behave like a oval office. Theres a difference.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Recoome posted:

I am questioning whether the focus should be on personality, or whether it should focus on ability and aptitude.
In a profession like teaching, those three things are intertwined and inseparable. The focus should be on all of the above.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Birb Katter posted:

That's a pretty sick flag design, would take it over the current one

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Goodpart posted:

In a profession like teaching, those three things are intertwined and inseparable. The focus should be on all of the above.

I agree, it'd be the best solution.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Brown Paper Bag posted:

That's a pretty sick flag design, would take it over the current one

Right? Make that a solid yellow sun and even out the heights of the horizontal colours so they're all the same and it's a really good flag. The southern cross is in a weird position though, can't think of where that should go straight away

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Knorth posted:

Right? Make that a solid yellow sun and even out the heights of the horizontal colours so they're all the same and it's a really good flag. The southern cross is in a weird position though, can't think of where that should go straight away

Put a black southern cross in the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Knorth posted:

Make the moon and star be a moon and souther cross

• Locked thread