Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pretty sparse details, and this is a really weird change

quote:

Media: 1 CFast / 1 CompactFlash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
if they are doing 4k video, they need the CFAST. although why they would go to two different card slots is beyond me. i would assume people spending 6k+ on a camera body aren't going to have a hissy fit about needing new memory cards , even if they are expensive

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

timrenzi574 posted:

if they are doing 4k video, they need the CFAST. although why they would go to two different card slots is beyond me. i would assume people spending 6k+ on a camera body aren't going to have a hissy fit about needing new memory cards , even if they are expensive
Yeah, I understand the need for cfast, but mixing the card types is a horrible decision.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
still better than letting an SD card slot sneak in.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Since they have a little more time before announcement/release, I wonder if they'll try to do what Nikon did with the D5 and make different cameras with different card slots.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

quote:

4K at 60 fps

ok this will become our new lab camera

I wonder if there'll also be a 1080p at 240fps mode once the camera is supported in Magic Lantern.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So I'm looking at getting the 7DmkII, and while my 17-50 2.8 lens has treated me well, I would like a bit more reach, and now I'm looking at the 15-85 3.5-5.5 and/or the 17-70 Sigma. I can get the canon glass pretty cheap used everywhere at 400bucks, so selling my 17-50 will pay for most of it, but has anyone in here used any of that glass? Second question, I'm looking for a ttl flash for the 7D, does anyone in here have any recommendations?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Ryand-Smith posted:

So I'm looking at getting the 7DmkII, and while my 17-50 2.8 lens has treated me well, I would like a bit more reach, and now I'm looking at the 15-85 3.5-5.5 and/or the 17-70 Sigma. I can get the canon glass pretty cheap used everywhere at 400bucks, so selling my 17-50 will pay for most of it, but has anyone in here used any of that glass? Second question, I'm looking for a ttl flash for the 7D, does anyone in here have any recommendations?

I'd go for something like the 55-250 for more reach instead of expanding the zoom range of a single lens. For the 15-85 you're adding 2/3rd stop on the wide end and 2 stops on the close end, which is going to reduce the amount of light and subject isolation you get. The 17-70 will reduce the light by a stop on the long end.

For the TTL flash, you can go nuts with the Canon 430EX-III or get more flash for less money with the Yongnuo 568EX II.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

I love the 15-85 and used it after the Tamron 17-50/2.8. I was stopping down a lot for landscapes, so the stabilizer was absolutely worth it and the range is very useful. Overall just good solid quality on all fronts, minus the aperture. I think the 15-85 plus a cheap bright prime is a great combo for similar overall price.

Incidentally, I plan on selling mine in the trading thread this week only because it's totally redundant next to my FF setup and money is useful...

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Does anyone have a remedy for soft focus/sharpness issues on an SL1? Maybe I'm not shooting at fast enough shutter speeds but I feel like the focus calibration is off.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Dudeabides posted:

Does anyone have a remedy for soft focus/sharpness issues on an SL1? Maybe I'm not shooting at fast enough shutter speeds but I feel like the focus calibration is off.

Can you post some examples (with exif intact)?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

IMG_1470 by Peter Crain, on Flickr

IMG_1490 by Peter Crain, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Nothing in focus at a small aperture and relatively slow shutter makes it look like the ol' camera shake to me.

Try these things:
Put it on a tripod and set a 10 second timer for the shutter. It should be sharp.

Shoot at a higher shutter speed, it should be sharp.

If it still isn't sharp with both those methods:

Shoot on a tripod using live view (and set LV focus type to whichever one focuses without bringing down the mirror). If that is sharp but none of the other above mentioned methods produce sharp pictures, then you *might* have a problem with mirror slap or need AF adjustment. But it just looks like run-of-the-mill camera shake to me.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
In the church shot, it looks like hand movement. Also, at f/22 you are going to run into issues with diffraction. There is such a thing as too small of an aperture when trying to get sharp images.

On the firetruck, it looks like the focus landed on the trees or the brown sign in front.

Also, the 50mm f/1.8 II isn't the sharpest in general. It's a fun lens. I owned one. Recently upgraded to the STM version and gave the old nifty fifty to a friend who loved to borrow it. It's great for low light and portrait work, but wouldn't be my first choice for bright daylight or anything where I wanted a large and sharp depth of field.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

In the church shot, it looks like hand movement. Also, at f/22 you are going to run into issues with diffraction. There is such a thing as too small of an aperture when trying to get sharp images.

On the firetruck, it looks like the focus landed on the trees or the brown sign in front.

Also, the 50mm f/1.8 II isn't the sharpest in general. It's a fun lens. I owned one. Recently upgraded to the STM version and gave the old nifty fifty to a friend who loved to borrow it. It's great for low light and portrait work, but wouldn't be my first choice for bright daylight or anything where I wanted a large and sharp depth of field.

At f/8 (or nearly f/8) that lens should be sharp as razorblades over the entire frame

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Thanks for the tips! I'm probably going to commit my nifty fifty to more evening and night work but I hadn't shot with it in daylight yet so it's good trial and error.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Also, at f/22 you are going to run into issues with diffraction.
Ding ding ding.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

timrenzi574 posted:

At f/8 (or nearly f/8) that lens should be sharp as razorblades over the entire frame

Yah, the firetruck isn't too bad at f/7.1 and 1/160s. The back of the brown sign is in focus. And the rest of it looks pretty good at computer monitor resolution.

The church at 1/50 of a second is most likely camera shake. Would have been better at f/16 and a faster shutter speed.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Going from a 300/4 to a 400/2.8 is a horrible idea that will only lead to a dark path of suffering, right? :allears: May have found an IS mk1 for under 4k...

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Alpenglow posted:

Going from a 300/4 to a 400/2.8 is a horrible idea that will only lead to a dark path of suffering, right? :allears: May have found an IS mk1 for under 4k...

I can save you. Just give me the lens and back away slowly.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
New thread title is nice, but it makes me feel bad for wanting one to carry in my pocket.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="455463631"]
New thread title is nice, but it makes me feel bad for wanting one to carry in my pocket.

A clown?

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Not just any clown, an eos m clown

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

So, to follow up on this. I wound up going with the Tamron 15-30, because I wanted the extra stop indoors (I know, I have a6d, and it's only one stop).

Turns out the 3rd party seller on amazon was in Canada. So now I'm stuck with a conundrum. Return the grey market lens because the description didn't state it was coming from outside the US (all shipping fees were listed as domestic) or risk something going wrong, and being rear end out, because Tamron USA won't service grey market products. The seller DID provide a 3rd party warranty, but the research I did on them says they take forever to fulfill claims.

Opinions?

timrenzi574 posted:

Well, you'd have to try shooting at f4 in your usual conditions with another lens and see if you can deal with it or not. @2.8 you will still have a good amount of DOF for like a posed group shot, but maybe not so much for a dispersed crowd shot (depending on your output size of course, and what you actually want covered in there)

Lot of variables to take into consideration for your needs

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Its funny, but I was going to purchase an EOS-M before everyone warned me (so thanks to everyone, I'm going with an A6000 if the long rumored A6100 comes out as promised in a week or so), but yeah, thanks for the help with the thread all.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

My favorite EOS-M feature is how you can theoretically change the UI colors, which affects that menu screen and almost nothing else. Zero effect on the quick menu or any other regular usage screen in the interface. :thumbsup:

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="455540255"]
So, to follow up on this. I wound up going with the Tamron 15-30, because I wanted the extra stop indoors (I know, I have a6d, and it's only one stop).

Turns out the 3rd party seller on amazon was in Canada. So now I'm stuck with a conundrum. Return the grey market lens because the description didn't state it was coming from outside the US (all shipping fees were listed as domestic) or risk something going wrong, and being rear end out, because Tamron USA won't service grey market products. The seller DID provide a 3rd party warranty, but the research I did on them says they take forever to fulfill claims.

Opinions?

Since you're still in the return window, I'd probably just return it and get one from a US authorised dealer. If it was a Canon lens, I wouldn't care since it's just a 1 year warranty and all lenses get treated the same after that's up. For Tamron it's worth getting since the warranty is 6 years.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Constellation I posted:

Since you're still in the return window, I'd probably just return it and get one from a US authorised dealer. If it was a Canon lens, I wouldn't care since it's just a 1 year warranty and all lenses get treated the same after that's up. For Tamron it's worth getting since the warranty is 6 years.

It's different with Tamron anyway, because they won't even service a gray market lens in the US if you pay. You have to send it to a third party repair facility (KEH services tamron lenses I believe). It can take a little while to get the money back from a 3rd party warranty provider, but they will pay out - I guess it's kind of a lottery. How lucky do you feel and all that.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Digicame-info has supposed leaked specs and photos of the 1DX2. Still 61 point AF (although poor english translation mentions something about distance and spread, so maybe wider coverage area?) , but supposedly with all 61 points available @ F/8. Sounds like a birders dream come true if that is the case.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
To add to this and find out more about 'diffraction limited', go

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

Scroll down and use the calculator, choose EOS 7D, 60D 550D etc. with a pixel diameter of 4.3 µm and see for yourself. Assuming subject are in focus and you have enough depth of field in the first place, f5.6~f8 should be about as high as you go on the 18MP 1.6x crop camera, while some softening is observed at f/11 and the diffraction really kicks in and blurs your image at f16 and above.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

timrenzi574 posted:

CFast is still a bit expensive though, and most photographers will be able to by on their CF cards until CFast goes down in price. The amount of cards a pro must carry around, especially on a longer project, must be pretty high. Replacing all your media would be a painful cost, if you'd just bought a 1Dx.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

IanTheM posted:

CFast is still a bit expensive though, and most photographers will be able to by on their CF cards until CFast goes down in price. The amount of cards a pro must carry around, especially on a longer project, must be pretty high. Replacing all your media would be a painful cost, if you'd just bought a 1Dx.

Even the UDMA7 CF cards that are well tested and known to be fast are silly expensive to have in quantity (Google shows they are closer to the CFast cards in price than I would like to acknowledge). I have two 128GB cards, and a domestic version of something like this: http://www.nextodi.com/product/nd2901_feature.html .. with a 2TB drive in it. When I fill one up, I swap, then work my way back to my gear if on site to dump it, pick it up later, repeat process, etc.

I have tons of SD cards, though.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So the 1dx mk2 got announced. How does it compare to the nikon D5?

In terms of image quality and DR I guess we'll have to wait for the first independent tests to come in, which could be a while...

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

KinkyJohn posted:

So the 1dx mk2 got announced. How does it compare to the nikon D5?

In terms of image quality and DR I guess we'll have to wait for the first independent tests to come in, which could be a while...

Based on what we know, they seem pretty comparable. As you say, the image quality will be the important test.

Interesting that it is about $500 cheaper than the D5. Canon is usually the one with the highest price point.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm pretty eager to see some 1DX vs 1DX2 image tests. They've had 5 (6?) years to come up with this new model and so far it sounds pretty underwhelming, especially if you don't shoot video at all.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I'm pretty eager to see some 1DX vs 1DX2 image tests. They've had 5 (6?) years to come up with this new model and so far it sounds pretty underwhelming, especially if you don't shoot video at all.

The fact that it's only $6000 makes me think the image quality won't be significantly better than the 1DX. I hope I'm wrong though.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

InternetJunky posted:

Though the over-all Canon system is better than Nikon, and Sony can't really compete in the same class as the 1Dx and D5, Canon's really been underwhelming with the direction they've been taking their sensor tech. They've prioritized their low light ability over ever thing else, but even Samsung has better sensors at this point. They've been resting on their laurels, with only resolution to fall back on. Supposedly the C300 mk2 has 15 stops of dynamic range, but in practice it's not really true and closer to 12/13, and that's in a $16k camera with an 8.8 MP sensor. In some ways it doesn't really affect them, most display technology can only show 6 stops of dynamic range anyway and few of their consumers are actually clamouring for more DR. But when Sony can beat you in so many sensor categories, especially in your top end products, the disappointment grows.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
1DX2 has an on-chip ADC, confirmed in the official bits today.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If you ignored cost and manufacturing yield, how much better could a sensor be? Like, if you had a custom fab to make a back-illuminated CCD like they do for astronomical instruments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

1DX2 has an on-chip ADC, confirmed in the official bits today.

Great news. I'm dying to see what they can do. And I'm sure the tech will filter down to the 5D4, which is probably more in my price range and needs.