Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

veto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

KarmaticStylee posted:

Agreed, I loved it! Great performance by both Owens & Ambrose and MOTYC in my opinion

I'm backing this. It was a LMS match that Didn't Suck. Which is a spectacle in and of itself.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
MOTY: The Rumble Match - Royal Rumble 2016

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

HM: Kevin Owens vs. Dean Ambrose - 1/24 WWE Royal Rumble
HM: THE Royal Rumble - 1/24 WWE Royal Rumble

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
HM: Royal Rumble match -- WWE Royal Rumble, 1/24

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

They learnt from their mistakes, that's the biggest shock here.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Benne posted:

Yeah this.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Benne posted:

I'll third this. Solid improvement on the last couple of years

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Matlock posted:

MOTY: The Rumble Match - Royal Rumble 2016

it ruled and it cemented Triple H as their top babyface

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Do not even ask posted:

I'll second that.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Do not even ask posted:

Both of these, yup. I thought about MOTY for KO/Ambrose but the build/stakes wasn't quite there and the wrestling itself wasn't good enough to carry it to MOTY. Really loving good show though.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Benne posted:

HM seems right. Two HMs and no stinkers, that makes this a high class PPV for the WWE

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Benne posted:

Yeah, lets play a game or whatever

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, it's great, but I don't think it's quite MOTYC level great.

Agreed, great match but it didn't have the extra oomph to push it over to MOTYC territory.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
HM is pretty much the right spot for the Rumble IMO. I had a few nagging issues with it (why is Jericho getting the iron man spot in 2016?) but overall it was a big improvement on the last few years, and even HHH winning told a logical story. Big thumbs up.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I must be getting bitter/incredibly tired of WWE because I didn't have anything above ***3/4 tonight's show. I thought Ambrose/Owens and the Rumble were very good, but not at the level where I'd tell someone to seek it out as a MOTYC or even a Honorable Mention. I thought the crowd and even commentary did a good job trying to get AJ over, but only having him eliminate 2 people and have him eliminated relatively early really sucked me out of the match. I felt the ending made up for it, but I guess I'm missing something from this show.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
HM: Royal Rumble - This is the best rumble of the 2010's by far
MOTY: Owens vs. Ambrose

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I must be getting bitter/incredibly tired of WWE because I didn't have anything above ***3/4 tonight's show. I thought Ambrose/Owens and the Rumble were very good, but not at the level where I'd tell someone to seek it out as a MOTYC or even a Honorable Mention. I thought the crowd and even commentary did a good job trying to get AJ over, but only having him eliminate 2 people and have him eliminated relatively early really sucked me out of the match. I felt the ending made up for it, but I guess I'm missing something from this show.

Nah this is about right, nothing was above "good". RR was hurt by camera being glued to Roman Reigns and booking decisions regarding AJ/Reigns/Lesnar/none of the interference making any drat sense/Jericho's lame duck elimination/flat finish. Owens/Ambrose was two guys having a fun gimmick brawl with no particular emotion and some pacing issues.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 25, 2016

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Tonfa posted:

Nah this is about right, nothing was above "good". RR was hurt by camera being glued to Roman Reigns and booking decisions regarding AJ/Reigns/Lesnar/none of the interference making any drat sense/Jericho's lame duck elimination/flat finish. Owens/Ambrose was two guys having a fun gimmick brawl with no particular emotion and some pacing issues.

The Rumbe had some fun moments, but strange booking of Styles, Jericho having no direction, HHH doesn't need to be Champ [at 46yrs old] to feud with Reigns, and Lesnar feuding with the Wyatts is pretty drat underwhelming. Maybe it was my own self-hype that let me down expecting to see a Daniel Bryan or Taker or Rock - or just really shake up the direction since it's pretty drat clear Reigns isn't working. Still, all that said, this was better than the last 2 years! I'll give it that.

The Owens/Ambrose match was a HM for me for those similar reasons.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

3rding the HM on this.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Do not even ask posted:

Agreed on both counts

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i'll n'th the royal rumble match itself as an HM. one of the best rumble matches they've ever put on, but it's hard for me to classify a battle royal as a match of the year, even if it was well booked and executed as this was.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
HM: Owens v. Ambrose
MOTY: ROYAL RUMBLE

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
HM: Royal Rumble

This is probably the best rumble match since 2004 imo. The last few have been awful and always involved a faction eliminating half the participents before they had a chance to throw a punch. They did well with the Wyatts to ensure this didn't happen again. The only thing that seemed strange to me is that the Wyatts re-entered to eliminate Brock; but when Brock was eliminated I was expecting him to get back in himself and take out the then defenceless Bray Wyatt.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Manic X posted:

HM: Royal Rumble

This is probably the best rumble match since 2004 imo. The last few have been awful and always involved a faction eliminating half the participents before they had a chance to throw a punch. They did well with the Wyatts to ensure this didn't happen again. The only thing that seemed strange to me is that the Wyatts re-entered to eliminate Brock; but when Brock was eliminated I was expecting him to get back in himself and take out the then defenceless Bray Wyatt.
That wasn't strange at all to me. The Royal Rumble has always been No DQ and it never made any sense to me that factions weren't helping each other illegally MORE often. What didn't make sense is why the League of Nations would have gone through all the trouble of beating down Roman Reigns and then not eliminate him from the rumble immediately.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
No I don't mean it was strange for the Wyatts to re-enter; it was strange for Brock to not get back in and eliminate Bray.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
What I found weird was why Brock's elimination was considered valid, as the Wyatts who eliminated him were themselves already out of the match. If eliminated people can still eliminate others and have it count, then why even head to the back? I assume Heyman will voice some complaints about this.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I must be getting bitter/incredibly tired of WWE because I didn't have anything above ***3/4 tonight's show. I thought Ambrose/Owens and the Rumble were very good, but not at the level where I'd tell someone to seek it out as a MOTYC or even a Honorable Mention.

This isn't being bitter, it's just seeing things for how they are. Compared to other wrestling (operative phrase here, as most only watch WWE), the Rumble is an above average show that more or less did what it needed to without screwing up colossally. Yes, that is a big leap forward from last year's Rumble, which would've won Worst Show were it not for the TripleMania trainwreck (that few people saw), but at the end of the day jumping from the negatives into the middle still leaves it in the middle. It shouldn't merit massive praise, but as Jericho noted in his 1999 WWF debut, people have accepted mediocrity as excellence. (In 2016, I'm less certain of the "Jericho is excellence" follow-up compared to back then.)

Thauros posted:

MOTYC - Dragon Lee vs. Kamaitachi - NJPW/CMLL Fantasticamania - 1/24

oatgan posted:

MOTYC: Zack Sabre Jr and Sami Callihan vs Tommy End and Chris Hero - Evolve 53 1/23

Nth to both of these even though they don't need any more votes because I know some people look at that HM/MOTY vote count when deciding what to rewatch come year's end.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 25, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Daryl Surat posted:

What I found weird was why Brock's elimination was considered valid, as the Wyatts who eliminated him were themselves already out of the match. If eliminated people can still eliminate others and have it count, then why even head to the back?
Moreso, why the gently caress wouldn't Rusev and Co. do the same thing to Roman 30 minutes earlier instead of letting him go to the back and power up for half the match?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

HM- AJ Styles vs. Chris "Lionheart" Jericho - WWE Monday Night Raw 1/25/2016

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
MOTY: That Rock promo from Raw tonight

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Zyla posted:

2nd

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Zyla posted:

yes

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

second

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

You can't veto your own veto.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

How was that AJ/Jericho match nearly the match of the year?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
all you people saying AJ/Jericho for HM are absolutely loving nuts

I think the same about people who are giving MOTYC to the RR but at least that has some level of an argument for it (although saying it's a better match than any of the WK10 contenders or pretty much anything going on in the UK is really weird to me), AJ/Jericho was just a good, well-executed raw match with no real storytelling or psychology in it besides "wow, this AJ guy is real good, and a vet who can counter moves"

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
i think a lot of people over the last 48 hours have forgotten the difference between "very good so check it out (3.5-4 stars imo)," "great and you need to see this (4-4.5 stars)," "this might have been the match of the year so got out of your way to see it (4.75-5)."

other than the historical note that it was aj styles' first singles match in wwe, it's not going to be something that people are going raving about in ten months. he's already had matches earlier this month that were exponentially and empirically better.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I can tell you right now there are plenty of HM in the last thread that I do not remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

mfcrocker posted:

MOTY: That Rock promo from Raw tonight

can we have a promo of the year competition

• Locked thread