Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Holy poo poo there is way too much loving poo poo between the Hunter's Nightmare lamppost and Ludwig.

There's a lamp around the corner from Ludwig, it's in the same area as those two Giants just before him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

There's a lamp around the corner from Ludwig, it's in the same area as those two Giants just before him.

That is what I was hoping to hear.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The insect like creatures at byrgenwerth have tentacle like arms that resemble amygdala's club and their eye-filled enlarged skulls resemble amygdala's empty sockets.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think after really digging in on my second run and getting into the chalice dungeons and all around just getting better than when I played it at release, I think BB might be my favorite game. At least I can't think of anything that I have enjoyed more from a gameplay or aesthetic angle .

it was already a Souls game anyways I just couldn't figure out which one. It's Blooborne. No contest.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The insect like creatures at byrgenwerth have tentacle like arms that resemble amygdala's club and their eye-filled enlarged skulls resemble amygdala's empty sockets.

I've always thought that Amy's head also looks like a vacuous spider, ala Rom, or the thing on the Altar of Despair. With the way that Patches treats Amy, and the prominence of its statues all over central Yharnam, I feel like it's sort of the ideal that Yharnamites are working towards with their ascension.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Spiritus Nox posted:

That is what I was hoping to hear.

I did the same thing, got about ten tries into Ludwig from the first lamp while bitching to a friend about how long the run is, followed by him saying "it's like five seconds with free blood vials wtf u talking about"

I also missed the central yharnam lamp my first playthrough somehow, running from the clinic to cleric beast

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

blatman posted:

I also missed the central yharnam lamp my first playthrough somehow, running from the clinic to cleric beast

Are you blind and somehow playing the game using braille

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

sector_corrector posted:

I've always thought that Amy's head also looks like a vacuous spider, ala Rom, or the thing on the Altar of Despair. With the way that Patches treats Amy, and the prominence of its statues all over central Yharnam, I feel like it's sort of the ideal that Yharnamites are working towards with their ascension.

Same for the patients in the research hall, their enlarged heads hit like rocks (like roms spiders) and the ones on the bottom floor that crawl around like worms have spider-legs/tentacles shoot out to hurt you

Someone mentioned ('aybe in the other thread) about the patients enlarged heads resembling the blobby celestial kin heads and while they are both big, the kin heads are... Juicy. Full. While roms spiders and the patients seem dried out, husks.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The research hall patients are the start of the work that leads to the Celestial Emissary and his friends, hence the Living Failures boss being a bunch of deformed Emissaries. The logic behind the success is that after Old Yharnam burnt down and they lost the Pthumerian Chalice there, they found Isz and Ebrietas, which gave them fresh Great One blood and allowed a proper ascension to Celestial Kin. Amygdala is weird because I'm pretty sure they're all the same creature, shared consciousness but multiple bodies. They're the bridge between reality and Nightmare, hence they show up all over Yahar'Gul which is half in the Nightmare/Dreamlands during the Blood Moon, and they let you go into the Nightmare Frontier/Hunter's Nightmare if you have the correct trinket for them to respond to.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Digirat posted:

Are you blind and somehow playing the game using braille

I think so yeah

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Maria is a lesbian because the way that she gripped my female Hunter character's arm and whispered in her ear was very provocative and sensual, and this fact drove Gehrman to madness because he couldn't have that sweet vampire booty.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I noticed the trophy for OoK calls him "Great One: Orphan of Kos", does that mean that of all those assholes trying to ascend to cthulu-hood, he actually succeeded?

...to become a screaming skeleton man?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

I noticed the trophy for OoK calls him "Great One: Orphan of Kos", does that mean that of all those assholes trying to ascend to cthulu-hood, he actually succeeded?

...to become a screaming skeleton man?

The Orphan didn't ascend. It was an actual, purebred Great One offspring, maybe the first and only of its kind (since Great Ones' children are nearly always stillborn).

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The Failures - Emissary connection is cool. The Emissaries have those glowing lights inside their heads that extend into tentacles-- maybe those are the "eyes on the brain" from Insight? I wonder if the church originally tried to ascend people by using blood alone, but without Insight they just turned into hydrocephalic junkies. The dialogue in the research hall is so good.

It's cool how the game points to these connections but never explains them. There's no Bioshock audio log where some guy goes "My God... no... they couldn't be..." and then explains it in excruciating yet vague detail. You actually connect the dots yourself, instead of having your character do it for you.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The Living Failures fight also takes place directly above the garden where you fight the Celestial Emissary in the waking world which is a cool detail.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love how the DLC areas are laid out in relation to each other. Ascending from the blood filled basement of the church (with an assassin locked away) to the top of the clock tower that you can see from the spawn of the nightmare :allears:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I love how the DLC areas are laid out in relation to each other. Ascending from the blood filled basement of the church (with an assassin locked away) to the top of the clock tower that you can see from the spawn of the nightmare :allears:

Yeah, it's really awesome. I also like how the regular Yharnam architecture you're familiar with is all gross and carbuncular.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

When I got past Maria, I was afraid I'd open this thread and find a bunch of posts complaining about how the back of the clock tower leads to sea level

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can anyone make out the whispering you can hear coming from the shacks in the hamlet? (Or has anyone tried to transcribe them? It doesn't help the whispers are tied to ambient sound and not voices in the audio/environmental menu)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Broseph Brostar posted:

When I got past Maria, I was afraid I'd open this thread and find a bunch of posts complaining about how the back of the clock tower leads to sea level

Dark Souls 2 elevator.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Can anyone make out the whispering you can hear coming from the shacks in the hamlet? (Or has anyone tried to transcribe them? It doesn't help the whispers are tied to ambient sound and not voices in the audio/environmental menu)

Here is a video that transcribes them:
https://youtu.be/vHFghwL0s7g?t=16m44s

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Can anyone help me with Orphan of Kos? He's completely destroying me and my bell isn't getting any hits…

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So Ludwig the accursed is really loving fun, but that jump-up, crawl on the roof, drop down and OHKO you thing he does is hot loving garbage.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I just re-watched Stuart Gordon's "Dagon" the other day, and besides re-discovering how god drat good that movie is, I also realized it's a huge source of inspiration for Bloodborne.

Yes, I know, they're both based on HP Lovecraft's source material. (Shadow over Innsmouth specifically for Dagon, and the Fishing Hamlet too, of course.)

But there are several scenes in "Dagon" that Bloodborne is clearly riffing very hard on. The masses of stumbling townsfolk in the film move and look almost exactly like Yharnamites, especially in the very beginning of the game.

More to the point, there's one flashback scene in Dagon where ritual objects wash up on a beach, and one in particular is an oblong object with weird pits all over it. The Tonsil Stone is pretty much a carbon copy of this object, as is Amygdala's overall design.

There's also a bit at the very end of the film featuring a surge of tentacles that looks a whole lot like Augur of Ebrietas.

I'm not saying Bloodborne is "ripping off" Dagon or anything like that, but after watching the film, it's clear that Bloodborne's designers were not just fans of HP Lovecraft, but Stuart Gordon, too. (For good reason.)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just beat Ludwig.

Holy poo poo, the Holy Blade phase of the fight was goddamn phenomenal. A little on the easy side, but not too much so, and the music and the spectacle of it were loving fantastic.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just beat Ludwig.

Holy poo poo, the Holy Blade phase of the fight was goddamn phenomenal. A little on the easy side, but not too much so, and the music and the spectacle of it were loving fantastic.

I think he's my favorite boss in the game. he's just so cool and gross and his boss arena is like a straight up holocaust chamber, an enormous lake of blood surrounded by innumerable corpses. it's actually really pretty disturbing and twisted, one of the most abject set pieces in the game IMO.

also I love his voice, especially how his voice and accent are such a total contrast from everything else about him

edit 2: another thing I love about Ludwig is that, according to the lore on the Moon Blade, and his dialogue, Ludwig basically spent his latter days getting high as all fuckin hell on his sword. he fuckin went ham on that blue blue and started tripping balls and next thing you know he's giving birth to a horse and then poo poo hit the fan

minya fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 25, 2016

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Guw posted:

Can anyone help me with Orphan of Kos? He's completely destroying me and my bell isn't getting any hits…

I just beat him solo, holy poo poo. I spent all of my blood vials when he was at about 1/4 health and somehow got into some crazy desperation trance and was able to dodge all of his attacks. I'm feeling a crazy adrenaline rush. Feels good man.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

minya posted:

I think he's my favorite boss in the game. he's just so cool and gross and his boss arena is like a straight up holocaust chamber, an enormous lake of blood surrounded by innumerable corpses. it's actually really pretty disturbing and twisted, one of the most abject set pieces in the game IMO.

also I love his voice, especially how his voice and accent are such a total contrast from everything else about him

edit 2: another thing I love about Ludwig is that, according to the lore on the Moon Blade, and his dialogue, Ludwig basically spent his latter days getting high as all fuckin hell on his sword. he fuckin went ham on that blue blue and started tripping balls and next thing you know he's giving birth to a horse and then poo poo hit the fan

And aside from the stupid ceiling-crawl drop attack, I thought the difficulty of the fight was really well tuned as well. His attacks hurt like all hell, but they all have very learnable tells and pretty obvious 'correct' dodges, and he's always open just long enough to get in some good meaty thwacks with your Ludwig's sword or some similarly meaty weapons. Then you hit the second phase where he's a lot easier to read, but he still hits really hard and it totally works because it would suck to have to learn an entirely new moveset as tricky as the first after slogging through the first phase every time, plus it lets you drink in some of the awesome music and visuals associated with the moon blade. One of the highpoints of the game so far, for sure, even above getting to Blood Starved Beast after hearing everyone complaining about him and immediately finding the sweetspot for the parry and getting real :smug: about myself.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

A few of them are saying the lines from entering the Nightmare and beating the Orphan. A few of them are moaning about the death of Kos and how her baby is cursed or taken.

Basically they're saying the baneful chants in collected trance to curse those who attacked the Hamlet. Which is where the Nightmare comes from, as the curse took root in Gherman's mind and built a constant torment of re-living the Massacre each Night from the other end, as the Orphan instead of the Hunter. Or at least that's my guess.

Also the secret to dodging the ceiling cling is to just run a straight loving line and don't stop, he lands just behind you every time if you do that.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cnidaria posted:

Here is a video that transcribes them:
https://youtu.be/vHFghwL0s7g?t=16m44s

Lord_Magmar posted:

A few of them are saying the lines from entering the Nightmare and beating the Orphan. A few of them are moaning about the death of Kos and how her baby is cursed or taken.

Basically they're saying the baneful chants in collected trance to curse those who attacked the Hamlet. Which is where the Nightmare comes from, as the curse took root in Gherman's mind and built a constant torment of re-living the Massacre each Night from the other end, as the Orphan instead of the Hunter. Or at least that's my guess.

Also the secret to dodging the ceiling cling is to just run a straight loving line and don't stop, he lands just behind you every time if you do that.

Sick, awesome. Tight. Solid.

I transcribed it from the video for the hell of it:

quote:

Mother is dead.
A bottomless curse
A bottomless sea
Source of all greatness
Al things that be
I call to the bloodless wherever they be
Do you hear the sea?

Call to the bloodless wherever they be

Kos
Dear Kos

Curse the fiends,
their children

Pray to the blood forever

the lair of beasts
blood-mad

mother is dead
her baby taken?

mother is dead,
her baby taken.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Defiled chalice is grrrrghhhhhhhhhh

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I didn't actually finish my bloodborne run i was posting about in here before, i got busy and a bunch of games and the DLC came out so i peaced out. Should I try to finish my game before buying the dlc, or buy the dlc and finish, or start a new dude.

I am p sure I had quit after just killing the spider boss

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the dlc is a lot harder in ng+ so I wouldn't wait until then to do it

other than that, do whatever works best for you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Defiled chalice is grrrrghhhhhhhhhh

After you said this was your favorite game but you hadn't finished the chalice dungeons yet, I was waiting for this post.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Working my way through Research Hall.

This is...not a happy place...:stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hey some of the patients are very happy

Don't judge them using your life views, they're perfectly content to drip drop plip plop

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

If only Lady Maria would come and talk to them more. It'd make everyone's lives much better if she'd leave her clock-tower more often.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what if she left

permanently

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Okay. Is there actually something I'll be able to hear with this stupid blobby-head on?

Woeful blobby thing aside, the research hall and all the patients writhing and moaning and suffering is making me uncomfortable like nothing else in Souls so far. It's very nazi.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Digirat posted:

After you said this was your favorite game but you hadn't finished the chalice dungeons yet, I was waiting for this post.

:lol: it's tempting to recant but I'll maintain its favorite game status regardless.

• Locked thread