Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

mallamp posted:

He could slow down a bit, the new Mistborn books aren't that great

:frogout:

W&W Era (books and setting) is better than the first trilogy, fight me (fellow) nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

OAquinas posted:

What the ever-loving gently caress sanderson? I didn't even know about that novella until I hit the link (and then involuntarily clicked the 1-click-order button). This outta be good. Also, how the hell does he accidentally write entire books?

From the previous page, I have to echo the sentiments that the Final Empire trilogy was a good story plotting but weaker on the pacing/characterization. Though from personal experience the best results are had when you binge all three books and then spend a week in a propofol-induced stupor. Probably not advisable for the casual reader though...

Which novella is this?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

W&W Era (books and setting) is better than the first trilogy, fight me (fellow) nerds.

That is sort of like saying that getting punched in the stomach is better than getting punched in the nuts. It's true, but neither of them are very good outcomes.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Khizan posted:

That is sort of like saying that getting punched in the stomach is better than getting punched in the nuts. It's true, but neither of them are very good outcomes.

Do not like Sanderson at all, or just prefer his other work? Cause km having a hard time getting into Stormlight Archives. It's just soo sloooooow

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Sanderson's ideas and world building are very good, but his prose, characterization and dialogue always read like Young Adult material to me. He's fast, but he's mostly fast because his writing is hitting just above fan-fiction level. Worse, I don't necessarily think he's gotten that much better over time. Jim Butcher dwells in the same general sphere as Sanderson in my head, but Jim has, at least, improved his craft over time. At least more noticeably than Sanderson, anyway.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

VanillaGorilla posted:

Sanderson's ideas and world building are very good, but his prose, characterization and dialogue always read like Young Adult material to me. He's fast, but he's mostly fast because his writing is hitting just above fan-fiction level. Worse, I don't necessarily think he's gotten that much better over time. Jim Butcher dwells in the same general sphere as Sanderson in my head, but Jim has, at least, improved his craft over time. At least more noticeably than Sanderson, anyway.

The emperor's soul and Perfect state were pretty dang good.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

If you think Sanderson hasn't been improving his craft over time I'm not sure what criteria you're using. Even Way of Kings to Words of Radiance is a noticeable jump in quality.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Rygar201 posted:

Do not like Sanderson at all, or just prefer his other work? Cause km having a hard time getting into Stormlight Archives. It's just soo sloooooow

The first book drags a bit, true. It's not even badly written, it's just that it's laying the groundwork for a 10-novel-series (well, 5 novels and then a time jump), so it has a lot to cover. Things speed up nicely 2/3 the way in (admittedly, that's like 600 pages, but yeah). WoR is much better paced.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Wolpertinger posted:

Which novella is this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B0NS93U/ref=r_soa_w_d
It's a e-book exclusive release that's apparently cosmere heavy, in the period of the Final Empire trilogy.

Read: While Mistborn was always a cosmere book series, Brandon wanted a few more early hooks for Later Stuff and didn't want to reissue them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

My problem with Sanderson is that he only has two things going for him. The first is strong worldbuilding, and the second is just sheer writing speed. Everything else he does is workmanlike at its best, if not outright mediocre.

Honestly, it is not that I dislike him so much as that there's no real reason to actively like him and so I am continually surprised by how many people are such diehard fans of his wooden characters, clumsy dialogue, and bad pacing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

You have some valid points but 99% of your posts in the thread are making GBS threads on him. Personally I like Sanderson because he hits the right balance between over spergy political details(GOT and the like)/magic abilities(WoT) without taking either way too far.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Khizan posted:

My problem with Sanderson is that he only has two things going for him. The first is strong worldbuilding, and the second is just sheer writing speed. Everything else he does is workmanlike at its best, if not outright mediocre.

Honestly, it is not that I dislike him so much as that there's no real reason to actively like him and so I am continually surprised by how many people are such diehard fans of his wooden characters, clumsy dialogue, and bad pacing.

For me, I dig the worldbuilding, magic systems, and attention to detail. The pacing issues were legit problems but are mostly corrected with his more recent works (or at least smoothed into acceptable tolerances). The characters are still kinda flat and the dialogue tries too hard in places, but for a sweeping epic that reads easy they aren't bad enough to kill the experience.

There are far better authors out there, to be sure, but Sanderson's fun and the worlds are interesting to watch unfold.

E: VVV :f5:
E2: landed on my kindle app! Bye thread!

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 26, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's January 26th on the east coast, Amazon, where's my dang book!? :argh:

edit: there it is! Hallelujah!

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 26, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Wayne doesn't waste anytime I see

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

I agree 50%. The setting is great, but Sandersons plots and writing are getting more and more generic
The world just doesn't come alive, it's just a (potentially very cool, sure) roleplaying setting where stuff pops up when the plot needs it. And I'm afraid it's like that because of rushing. Cosmere backstory just isn't enough to elevate from that airport fiction level. Words of Radiance was awesome, that's what he can do when he doesn't rush to keep up his robot reputation

mallamp fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 26, 2016

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

That was...interesting. Not nearly the amount of cross-cosmere influence than I expected. Best way to describe it is like Mistborn meets Fury Road.

It does seem more like Sanderson was just having fun with this one rather than doing a serious effort.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I think I've said it before, but Sanderson = Marvel movies for me. Regular updates, crossover items, and consistently entertaining.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder who is writing the Ars Arcanum in-universe. The comments have become a lot more personal ("has been of specific interest to me lately"), so who is this person collecting information about the various magic systems in the Cosmere, and what do they intend to do with this knowledge?

The book is super exciting to read, I'm halfway through. At least it was very easy to spot Hoid this time.

I notice that once again the symbols for the metals are acting as chapter images. I can't be bothered to learn them, but I wonder if there are hidden clues in these symbols.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Hoid: Aside from the "I AM HERE AND GUZZLING OLD SPICE LIKE A CRAZY MANS" cameo, he also has another one in the broadsheet story (where he tries to do his storytelling schtick and gets ignored)

The Ars: The writer for ALL the cosmere books ars arcanum is a lady(?) called Khriss. We actually meet her for the first time in this book. (3 guesses where!)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hoooooo boy, this possibly very important Stormlight Archive character is from Scadrial?! Talking about Iyatil! Uh, I have to think about the implications of this.

OAquinas posted:

Hoid: Aside from the "I AM HERE AND GUZZLING OLD SPICE LIKE A CRAZY MANS" cameo, he also has another one in the broadsheet story (where he tries to do his storytelling schtick and gets ignored)

The Ars: The writer for ALL the cosmere books ars arcanum is a lady(?) called Khriss. We actually meet her for the first time in this book. (3 guesses where!)

No three guesses needed, after reading your post it became very obvious.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Not really a spoiler, but Bands seems to have way more jokes about boobs, dicks, and lesbians than typical Sanderson, which is to say there are more than zero.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Just finished the book. I enjoyed it, although I didn't really feel like it was as Cosmere-important as it was hyped.

That epilogue, though. January 30th can't get here fast enough.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Officially placing my bet that Trell is an ancient space computer, I am prepared to collect my winnings in 15 years.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

MildShow posted:

Why wait? It's already out, too.

Kelsier, you magnificent bastard.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I only just noticed the pun on wax and wayne. I am smrt. Go me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So, from the last chapter of Bands of Mourning, am I supposed to think that Kelsier somehow hijacked the Lord Ruler's body? Because if so, holy poo poo!

The other book is out already? I don't know if I can spend another night with little sleep reading Sanderson books, how long is it? If it's also 350 pages long then I will have to wait until tomorrow to read it. There's no way I could stop once I've started it, and I really need to sleep tonight.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 27, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I'm so salty that Amazon isn't selling Secret History yet :argh:

And it won't be on Google Play either! :argh: :argh:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

So, from the last chapter of Bands of Mourning, am I supposed to think that Kelsier somehow hijacked the Lord Ruler's body? Because if so, holy poo poo!

No, you're supposed to think it was Kelsier all along. I can't think of anyone else who's gonna have Hathsin scars.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

broken clock opsec posted:

No, you're supposed to think it was Kelsier all along. I can't think of anyone else who's gonna have Hathsin scars.

Hold up, because I think you just blew my mind. You're saying that not only was Kelsier acting as Lord Ruler in the south, but he always *was* Lord Ruler? Because if that's true, I'm going to have to go through the first book again to see if I can pick up the clues to that. I mean, I suppose it could be that the one time they're in the narrative together *one* of them was a kandra, but... god drat.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

flosofl posted:

Hold up, because I think you just blew my mind. You're saying that not only was Kelsier acting as Lord Ruler in the south, but he always *was* Lord Ruler? Because if that's true, I'm going to have to go through the first book again to see if I can pick up the clues to that. I mean, I suppose it could be that the one time they're in the narrative together *one* of them was a kandra, but... god drat.

No, it was just Kelsier in the southern hemisphere all along. Those people never claimed him to be Lord Ruler, Wax's party just jumped to that assumption automatically because whoever it was had access to both full mistborn and full feruchemy. I don't know why Kelsier would have had a re-created body with his Hathsin scars, and then pounded a spike through an eye, but there it is, I suppose I'll find out in 3? days.

Kelsier's even had POV in the original trilogy, especially leading up to him getting killed, so it literally couldn't be the kandra thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 27, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

We also don't know how Kelsier became a Ferruchemist, or indeed, if he is one. More data is needed, hah

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rygar201 posted:

We also don't know how Kelsier became a Ferruchemist, or indeed, if he is one. More data is needed, hah

He grabbed Ascendance powers between Preservation's death and Vin's Ascendance from the Spirit Realm.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

broken clock opsec posted:

No, it was just Kelsier in the southern hemisphere all along. Those people never claimed him to be Lord Ruler, Wax's party just jumped to that assumption automatically because whoever it was had access to both full mistborn and full feruchemy. I don't know why Kelsier would have had a re-created body with his Hathsin scars, and then pounded a spike through an eye, but there it is, I suppose I'll find out in 3? days.

Kelsier's even had POV in the original trilogy, especially leading up to him getting killed, so it literally couldn't be the kandra thing.

Ah yes, that makes more sense. I understood that he was supposed to be the southern "Lord Ruler" all along. That was after all the first time he came to them. But I somehow thought that he did it in Rashek's body, which confused me because that became incredibly old and was probably unusable. But I wonder where Kelsier would get his own body back. OreSeur ate his corpse to impersonate him! There's still something missing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

Ah yes, that makes more sense. I understood that he was supposed to be the southern "Lord Ruler" all along. That was after all the first time he came to them. But I somehow thought that he did it in Rashek's body, which confused me because that became incredibly old and was probably unusable. But I wonder where Kelsier would get his own body back. OreSeur ate his corpse to impersonate him! There's still something missing.

Not out of the question. Sazed/Harmony tried to bring Vin and Elend back at the end of Hero of Ages, recreated their bodies and everything, but couldn't quite figure it out right at that moment inbetween you know actually re-making and saving the world, but we can take as given Kelsier might've done it while he had the power to.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

It makes sense from a Sanderson-style mechanic POV-- Kelsier's scars are a part of his identity as the Survivor, so they're probably carried over into his Cognitive aspect--or at least something he'd retain coming back. When he seized Preservation, he could recreate his own body, and since he was the one doing it he could populate it with his own "soul" as it were--he didn't have to secure the souls of his friends or convince them to come back (as would be the case of Sazed trying to rez Vin and Elend).
The spike is interesting though. In this timeline where Kel could make the body, Ruin was still very much At Large, and a hemalurgic spike would be a bad idea.

Really need Amazon to unfuck itself and get that novella available...

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Just finished Secret History, and it seems like Spook was able to see Kelsier's spirit and talk with him using a spike earring like Vin's (after Harmony comes into being), and he and Kelsier decide to start experimenting with inquisitor spikes, but no mention how they recreate his body. Maybe Harmony helped them? It didn't actually show Kelsier heading south, which was kind of disappointing.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 27, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Narmi posted:

Just finished Secret History, and it seems like Spook was able to see Kelsier's spirit and talk with him using a spike earring like Vin's (after Harmony comes into being), and he and Kelsier decide to start experimenting with inquisitor spikes, but no mention how they recreate his body. Maybe Harmony helped them? It didn't actually show Kelsier heading south, which was kind of disappointing.

Some kind of Identity thing with the spear the Lord Ruler killed him with? Would explain the spike in his eye. The body would've been someone else's, Kelsier takes it over due to the spike. Still haven't read Secret History due to Amazon, but yeah, just tossing things out there.

e: I think someone actually posted that spear idea in this thread awhile back when Brandon mentioned Identity as one of the metal powers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 27, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MildShow posted:

Just finished the book. I enjoyed it, although I didn't really feel like it was as Cosmere-important as it was hyped.

I've just finished the Secret History, and it basically contains more direct Cosmere information than all other Cosmere books combined.

If you have your copy of Elantris, go to the glossary and look up they symbol Kelsier describes. It's Ire, the name of the Elantrian organization, and means time/age. Interesting that they formed this organization after restoring the city. I assume they wanted to bring a non-shattered shard back to their world to replace Devotion?

I'm also not really comfortable with what Spook and Kelsier are doing. It seems the survival of hemalurgy was largely Kelsier's fault. And Spook most likely used Atium compounding to live so much longer than normal humans.

Regarding Bands of Mourning (and Stormlight Archive), there's some interesting facts about spiritual identity there. Especially the Bands themselves are fascinating, in that they make anybody a full allomancer. That's actually very similar to the Honorblades of the Heralds, who make anybody a surgebinder of the appropriate order. I bet that you could use the Bands of Mourning without depleting them if you were standing in a highstorm on Roshar.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Torrannor posted:

I've just finished the Secret History, and it basically contains more direct Cosmere information than all other Cosmere books combined.

If you have your copy of Elantris, go to the glossary and look up they symbol Kelsier describes. It's Ire, the name of the Elantrian organization, and means time/age. Interesting that they formed this organization after restoring the city. I assume they wanted to bring a non-shattered shard back to their world to replace Devotion?

I'm also not really comfortable with what Spook and Kelsier are doing. It seems the survival of hemalurgy was largely Kelsier's fault. And Spook most likely used Atium compounding to live so much longer than normal humans.

Regarding Bands of Mourning (and Stormlight Archive), there's some interesting facts about spiritual identity there. Especially the Bands themselves are fascinating, in that they make anybody a full allomancer. That's actually very similar to the Honorblades of the Heralds, who make anybody a surgebinder of the appropriate order. I bet that you could use the Bands of Mourning without depleting them if you were standing in a highstorm on Roshar.

In terms of depletion Highstorms provide "investiture" which powers/enables use of "magic." So you wouldn't deplete the nicrosil feruchemic charge, and might be able to power the Allomantic abilities directly. The Feruchemical abilities though are different in that they're stored attributes, not direct powers--but so long as you could "power" the bracers you could refill the metalminds normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Time for a long break from Sanderson I think. The new Mistborn books ranged from average to bad and Mistborn: The Secret Infodump had way too high powerlevels for me. I really need to read something good, maybe come back for Stormlight Archives 3