Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I married a Brit and she said they make cheese or gather cockles or go on the antiques roadshow. At least I think she said that, hard to understand through that accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

So all the streets are lines with 2-3 story houses, your roads are made of bricks and rocks. I guess they stuff mcdonalds and kfc's into the small houses and make them up to look like they belong, so people probably work there.

But honestly, other than that, and small stores selling cigarattes and newspapers, what the gently caress kind of industry does the UK even have?? bars I suppose but It blows my mind to think that people leave their homes and go to work in england every single day. Where do they go? What sort of businesses get ran over there? just cannot even imagine it.

We used to make lots of things like cars, textiles and vacuum cleaners, also dig up all the coal, but then Thatcher/companies outsourcing to Asia happened.

If you're unskilled you basically have to work as a cleaner, in the service industry or go on welfare. Everyone in the North is unemployed because it used to be the home of the industries that got shut down and so there is retarded competition for all the remaining jobs. I guess handymen and people who install windows and poo poo is a job where working class people can still make decent money, or they can join the army or become a cop/postman/fireman/some other public sector role.

In London people work in poo poo like finance, tourism, media and technology. If you're a smarty you normally do one of those or become a doctor/lawyer/teacher/academic. There's also scores of mediocre people working in offices for small businesses, as shown in the British The Office, but despite the fact my mother does accounts in one I'm as confused as you as to what these businesses actually do.

Also chimney sweeps, fish and chips shop owner, and being one of those guards with the furry hats.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

King of Bees posted:

I married a Brit and she said they make cheese or gather cockles or go on the antiques roadshow. At least I think she said that, hard to understand through that accent.

sleeping with the enemy.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Something something dying empire.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

Prorat posted:

Something something dying empire.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

which little britain ep is this

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Britain shut its servers down decades ago, it's just diehard sperglords running private machines now. Like when the Halo 2 servers went offline and some dudes were like 'NO we will keep the multiplayer online as long as our xboxes are on!'

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Probably something involving alcohol and depression.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
fukkin fog-breathers

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Someone's gotta produce all the magic wands and broomsticks. The rest of population is about 50/50 split between lowlife chavs and islamic shariah law terrorists threatening the western way of life.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

According to Doctor Who, aliens are trying to conquer them every fortnight.

this is true, except its always the same aliens and the aliens are also muslim

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Justin Godscock posted:

Probably something involving alcohol and depression.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
gypsy hunting

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
its seriously a third world country right now. its bleak, but the starwars analogy is that its more like endor than tatooine or whatever. its a loving cold, foggy swamp. its a shithole and people have it worse than 1940. its very sad.

Trump.mp4
Feb 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Their crack is really moreish.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i guess more of a hoth/endor mix :shrug:

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i believe that a lot of people in britain work as either horse and buggy drivers or crippled old gravediggers that carry an oil lamp around with them op

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

the great deceiver posted:

i believe that a lot of people in britain work as either horse and buggy drivers or crippled old gravediggers that carry an oil lamp around with them op

lol

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

the children all beg and steal or work the mines

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nation posted:

adding to the op thx

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

Nation posted:

Don't forget sweeping chimneys.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

They talk about knickers a lot, which is weird because the Knicks are terrible.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
They sail to the United states to work on local news radio stations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nooner posted:

fukkin fog-breathers

Fuckin lol

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
parliament

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

dysentery

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

every town has a moustached sheriff that is employed to extort the peasantry of wealth and dignity - this is a much appreciated and necessary part of local governance

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

it's a lot like that song 'common people'

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015
miserable things

Aug 4, 2010

we dont even have friends anymore

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/mens-health/11996473/2.5-million-men-have-no-close-friends.html

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What about all those picturesque country villages and hamlets? What the gently caress do the people there do for a living?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
There are werewolves.

And homeless children in floppy hats who sweep chimneys.

I think sometimes the werewolves eat the children, but if enough children corner a werewolf the hat's on the other foot.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

dad gay. so what posted:

not a lot, OP. its mostly an uninhabitable bog and people just wander around in the fog searching for edible roots or truffles occasionally bumping into each other in the dark. thats how they reproduce.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
peep show is funny and good

doctor who is bad

walking around central london is easy

2/3, would lend-lease again

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What about all those picturesque country villages and hamlets? What the gently caress do the people there do for a living?

herd sheep, gently caress sheep, raise ungodly human/sheep hybrids

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
im not even joking OP I've legitimately thought the same thing. I've never heard of any company from the UK doing anything anywhere. like the population support industry cant ... possibly be all of it ... can it?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

im not even joking OP I've legitimately thought the same thing. I've never heard of any company from the UK doing anything anywhere. like the population support industry cant ... possibly be all of it ... can it?

people gotta work in gas stations i just remembered

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

It's like 90% crumpet industry, and the rest is like every other habitable place on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ever see A Clockwork Orange, OP? It's like an entire nation saw that movie and said, "That looks like a good idea," and then elected Margret Thatcher.

The majority of the populace hasn't quite figured out that they live in an irrelevant and crumbling empire. The smart ones leave. They're trying to figure out if they're going to leave the EU or not. It doesn't matter, the EU is hosed too, but the decline is slower if they hang together rather than part ways.

Oh, and their Prime Minister fucks dead pigs' heads.

All day.

• Locked thread