Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

any post that uses allears ironically is always the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
reap as you sow

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mithaldu posted:

It's adorable how upset goons get when you imply a game that didn't cater to their expectations may have merit on its own. :allears:

It doesn't.

The only genuinely cool thing the game does is the updating cross-timeline newspaper that chronicles how stuff has changed each time you alter the past.

I didn't have anything to really play for a week or two besides it and put way too much time into it, and I don't even recommend it.

The biggest disappointment might've been Lightning's sword, which is of course a shotgun/rifle that's too weak to be of use by the time you can afford it.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey, look what Vita port is finally finished: Skullgirls 2nd Encore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFaWOoIPSzM

Some of those loading times, woof. At least they are being honest about it.

Also, anyone here unable to access the Vita PlayStation Store? Neither my Vita nor PSTV can get to it. They always hang on "Please wait..." :mad:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mithaldu posted:

It's adorable how upset goons get when you imply a game that didn't cater to their expectations may have merit on its own. :allears:

I'm sorry you have such awful taste.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

The only genuinely cool thing the game does
You do not like it, which is fine. I'm only responding goons who make stereotypically "funny" 'it is the worst game ever' posts. It's honestly amusing how hard they dig in on the slightest provocation.

The cool thing it did for me is make an honest-to-god gun action 3d game that does not force the player to try and aim with the tiny little analogue nubs that aren't remotely useful for aiming a gun; while creating set pieces that force the player to think how to approach a battle; and which flows amazingly well when the player groks how it wants to be played and feels like an actual Matrix game.

Yechezkel posted:

Also, anyone here unable to access the Vita PlayStation Store? Neither my Vita nor PSTV can get to it. They always hang on "Please wait..." :mad:
In my case i just hit refresh as soon as it's done doing that, and then it loads. There's a weird thing where "cold" connection attempts often fail.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

The cool thing it did for me is make an honest-to-god gun action 3d game that does not force the player to try and aim with the tiny little analogue nubs that aren't remotely useful for aiming a gun; while creating set pieces that force the player to think how to approach a battle; and which flows amazingly well when the player groks how it wants to be played and feels like an actual Matrix game.

A bunch of PSP games did that though because the PSP didn't have two analog nubs it only had one. They would use lockon and stuff to get around that. (Some tried to use the face buttons which sucked every time.)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

A bunch of PSP games did that though because the PSP didn't have two analog nubs it only had one. They would use lockon and stuff to get around that. (Some tried to use the face buttons which sucked every time.)

Care to name some? The only other PSP shooter i know is Peacewalker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Care to name some? The only other PSP shooter i know is Peacewalker.

Battlefront, Resistance, the GTA games, SOCOM, Syphon Filter, Dead to Rights, the Pursuit Force games (though they're kinda weird racing/shooters), the Mega Man Legends ports (natch since that is how they were on the PS1), honestly I can only remember a small number of PSP shooters that didn't have lock-on or auto-aim or something similar and they usually sucked. (A lot of the ones that had it sucked too but that's kinda the PSP in a nutshell.)

The PSP was a bad system for shooters and almost everyone who worked on it knew that so they tried to figure out other ways to handle it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dead to Rights

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chilli Con Carnage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Chilli Con Carnage

I have a friend who swears that this is one of the best PSP games and I have no idea if they're bullshitting or not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

I have a friend who swears that this is one of the best PSP games and I have no idea if they're bullshitting or not.

If you played almost as obscure Mexican PS2 shooter Total Overdose it's basically the same thing only no open world and with the same sort of high score based gameplay as The Club or 50 Cent Blood on the Sand.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

All of those are slow and classical shooters with auto-aim though, not gun *action* games. I don't know if the category really has a name, but in PE3 the game takes care of the aiming for you, but puts a lot of pressure on you regarding movement and engagements. None of the games you mentioned do that.

Edit: To be clear, i wasn't talking about the auto-aim as a defining feature, but that the game embraced that fully, and used it as a chance to implement lots of other things to replace the challenge lost by auto-aim.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 27, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

man they got a gently caress of a lot better at making games in between muramasa and dragons crown

good news is by the time i finish this hundred monks room i'll be max level whatever that is

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 27, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

All of those are slow and classical shooters with auto-aim though, not gun *action* games. I don't know if the category really has a name, but in PE3 the game takes care of the aiming for you, but puts a lot of pressure on you regarding movement and engagements. None of the games you mentioned do that.

Edit: To be clear, i wasn't talking about the auto-aim as a defining feature, but that the game embraced that fully, and used it as a chance to implement lots of other things to replace the challenge lost by auto-aim.

TTB in that case isn't really what you're qualifying at all and in that case you're talking more about just an action game where your weapon happens to be a gun, in which case you can directly compare it to both Crisis Core (whose engine it borrows and which plays very similar) and Final Fantasy Type-0 which even on the PSP does almost everything TTB does but better. (And those are both just Square-Enix games, let alone other action games on the PSP!)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

This is nothing like PE3. The pacing and engagement types are wildly different, even if the engine is the same. It's also much more slow and ponderous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVlJN_zzftg

And while Type-0 looks slightly similar, it's still all close combat, and doesn't have the positioning mechanics derived from the overdive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

This is nothing like PE3. The pacing and engagement types are wildly different, even if the engine is the same. It's also much more slow and ponderous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVlJN_zzftg

And while Type-0 looks slightly similar, it's still all close combat, and doesn't have the positioning mechanics derived from the overdive.

You literally posted a video that is 90% cutscene and a tutorial fight for Crisis Core.

Also uh, Type-0 specifically has long-ranged combat fighters so I'm not sure what you mean by that. TTB has like 2 areas where you can possess a sniper but even that isn't really about positioning so much as a specific gimmick.

Here's the final boss on the hardest mode in TTB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVHC1qWyblI

It's not exactly the best example of a fight (it lacks the heavy body-swapping gimmicks) but it isn't exactly fast blazing action.

And honestly TTB's core gameplay isn't bad. It starts to fall apart with the gimmick fights on the damage sponges on higher difficulty levels. I don't think it's the worst game ever made but I certainly think it's pretty unexceptional and the rest of the game drags it down.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 27, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

TTB in that case isn't really what you're qualifying at all and in that case you're talking more about just an action game where your weapon happens to be a gun
Oh wait, now i get what you're saying here.

You're not saying the square games are like Pe3, but like what i'm describing, and that my description doesn't match Pe3.

In which case all i can say is, you're playing Pe3 wrong. Yes, you can play it slowly and methodically like your typical corridor shooter, but it's meant to played with Aya jumping all over the loving place either herself or between other humans, with walking being mainly used to rough-adjust aim. The whole point of the game is that it is not a single character action game, but a gun tactics game in realtime with acrobatics.

I'm talking about stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FMR5bcp3bg&t=57s

ImpAtom posted:

You literally posted a video that is 90% cutscene and a tutorial fight for Crisis Core.
I also looked at other videos and they all look like a slow rpg with slight action elements melded into it. Feel free to post better examples.

ImpAtom posted:

Also uh, Type-0 specifically has long-ranged combat fighters so I'm not sure what you mean by that.
There isn't exactly a wealth of videos on Type-0 on youtube. Feel free to post better examples.

ImpAtom posted:

It starts to fall apart with the gimmick fights on the damage sponges on higher difficulty levels.
Yes, i remember we covered that already and i did not disagree.Though in light of that i wonder why you posted the video above, when there are much better examples. (Though even in that, once you get past 1:45 and especially in the latter segment it's quite action-heavy, and the middle segment needs good understanding of the mechanics.)

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think it's the worst game ever made but I certainly think it's pretty unexceptional
Which is not what i was talking about in my earlier post, and which we already covered as being your opinion which i respect.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Yechezkel posted:

Yes, mine is doing exactly that. Good thing I only wanted to download those stupid costumes for Escha or I might be more upset.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

I also looked at other videos and they all look like a slow rpg with slight action elements melded into it. Feel free to post better examples.

Wait, you haven't played either game?

They're all literally based on the same engine with almost identical dodge-roll mechanics and everything and most of the same team working on them. (Also I have no idea what you mean by there being no Type-0 videos, the game has an HD re-release that has multiple people doing their entire playthroughs.) This isn't exactly high-gimmick gameplay but here's just a character in the game's arena: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSqAVg7Rac or here's a boss fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXWeXDmgIS8 or whatever. There's tons of videos on Youtube.

Honestly, aside from anything in this conversation, I'd say try to give the HD port of Type-0 a try. If you liked TTB's gameplay I think you'd end up liking T0 despite its own many flaws. Hajime Tabata is the director for it same as Crisis Core and The Third Birthday and the three games share a lot of lineage. It might be something you'd enjoy a fair bit.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 27, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

If you played almost as obscure Mexican PS2 shooter Total Overdose it's basically the same thing only no open world and with the same sort of high score based gameplay as The Club or 50 Cent Blood on the Sand.

total overdose ruled

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, you haven't played either game?
No. The former looks straight-up boring to me, and the latter apparently wasn't even released in english until last year. Also yeah, i was ignoring the HD videos and looking for PSP stuff. Looking at the Type-0 HD videos i note: No actual level design, 5 battles including the two you linked have been in circular arenas. Additionally, no overdive into other characters.

I put Type-0 on my list of stuff to try while bored, but it lacks many of the bits i like in Pe3.

Edit: Also please remember that i mentioned having a single character action game is not the point. If i wanted to play good games in that genre, i'd go straight to Godhand. It's honestly quite fascinating though to learn how you view the game differently than my friends or i, just by what you think is similar to it.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 27, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

If i wanted to play good games

You obviously don't, considering you like 3rd Birthday so much.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the only thing I wanna know about 3rd birthday is, is the titty shower scene really worth it

since you have to beat the game 30 times to see it or something, I just wonder if anybody in the world was dedicated to get that without cheating

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

You obviously don't, considering you like 3rd Birthday so much.

you own a vita, what would you even know about games

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

the only thing I wanna know about 3rd birthday is, is the titty shower scene really worth it

since you have to beat the game 30 times to see it or something, I just wonder if anybody in the world was dedicated to get that without cheating

it happens near the end, no unlock necessary, and it's just boring and unnecessary, unless you're a teenager

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

you own a vita, what would you even know about games

:nallears:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Playing a mediocre shooter to experience an atrocity of a story seems like par for the course around these parts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Playing a mediocre shooter to experience an atrocity of a story seems like par for the course around these parts.
it sounds like the dude liked the video game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i realize that is hard for some goons to understand, but sometimes people like video games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit that I have been known to like video games.

Even video games on the Vita.

In fact I am playing a video game on the Vita right now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Video games are pretty cool when they are fun and good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Video games are pretty cool when they are fun and good.

sometimes people like video games that you don't think are fun or good, because they think they are fun and good.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
this thread is turning real racist for no good reason

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I admit that I have been known to like video games.

Even video games on the Vita.

In fact I am playing a video game on the Vita right now.

how do you sleep at night

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is because people come from a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and places, that help shape their tastes and perception of the world. for instance, 'color' as we perceive it in fact varies wildly from person to person.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

how do you sleep at night

Sometimes after playing a Vita game.

Endorph posted:

this is because people come from a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and places, that help shape their tastes and perception of the world. for instance, 'color' as we perceive it in fact varies wildly from person to person.

Nah, people who dislike something I like only do it to piss me off because my taste is objectively correct in all matters, but most especially video games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite games of all time are all gigantic unfinished messes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The Colonel posted:

it's a shame because i really love everything about it outside of the dungeon crawling, i just can't really get into the combat enough to have fun with it and you encounter enemies so drat frequently

still, maya is the best

Don't like the dungeon crawling.
Don't like the combat.
Complain about the amount of enemy encounters.

You love everything else...what's left?