Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ShotgunWillie posted:

Vnyl? People who Kickstarted them got a mess of dollar bin records and not much else. They're still around and seem to send out overstocks or old stock and have an amusingly pricy members store. These days, I think their model is to send out 2-3 genre records, randomly selected, for a monthly fee. You can pick the genre or mood or some other bullshit they call it. Tried it, got some damaged records, contacted their customer service and got no help or replacements. Canceled my membership.

Someone here posted a video from inside their store and it was laughable. The entire store probably had about three milk crates full of records and they were all dollar bin junk and of course they were all marked up like crazy. You could do much better at just about any flea market in America. I feel bad for anyone who fell for their bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

CPL593H posted:

Someone here posted a video from inside their store and it was laughable. The entire store probably had about three milk crates full of records and they were all dollar bin junk and of course they were all marked up like crazy. You could do much better at just about any flea market in America. I feel bad for anyone who fell for their bullshit.

But they were separated into moods/vibes. How else will one know that Hall & Oates makes the perfect dinner party record?

What other people do with their money is their business, but all this subscription, "curated" poo poo just seems short-sighted at best and makes anyone who falls for it look retarded and basic. It's the wine-of-the-month club for the Urban Outfitters customer.

Anyway, so as to contribute and not just be a total poo poo-mouthed monster crushing kickstarted dreams, I've been buying a lot more records lately than I have in the past few years, due in part to a blowout sale at the record store I used to work for that just recently shut down, as well as revisiting another store in town I didn't visit all that often back when I got my fill of record stores by being at one 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. One of my favorite things I've discovered that seems to have come into full swing (and possibly died out somewhat) during that time are the 'private press new age' reissues spearheaded by Light in the Attic's excellent "I Am the Center" box set and Numero Group's double LP reissues of Jordan De La Sierra's "Gymnosphere" and Iasos' "Celestial Soul Portrait." (As well as Important's reissue of JD Emmanuel's "Wizards"). Great stuff if you want to bliss the gently caress out and take 'er easy.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

ShotgunWillie posted:

Vnyl? People who Kickstarted them got a mess of dollar bin records and not much else. They're still around and seem to send out overstocks or old stock and have an amusingly pricy members store. These days, I think their model is to send out 2-3 genre records, randomly selected, for a monthly fee. You can pick the genre or mood or some other bullshit they call it. Tried it, got some damaged records, contacted their customer service and got no help or replacements. Canceled my membership.

Vinyl Me, Please also exists, which sends out one custom pressed record of their selection once a month in rotating genres. I'm a member still, partly because their monthly member stores tend to be healthily discounted compared to discogs/Amazon/brick and mortar. Last month we got Nada Surf, which I loved, next month is an exclusive press of an old Smithsonian Folkways blues record by Bill Broonzy. Remastered from original recordings, etc. neat stuff. Sometimes you'll get one that doesn't suit your tastes, but I have been OK with trying music I wouldn't have otherwise. Some of it has grown on me. Also, their customer service is ridiculously good.

Their forums are a tumbler lite circle jerk though. SJWs of all flavours abound. Another downside of their model is that they ship to arrive on the 15th of the month. That means that if they have any new releases in the store, you have to wait until the record of the month ships to get them.

I'll add that there is one called vinylmnky. I just started in January because they had the new Børns record. I liked the stuff they included better than VMP, which came with an autographed lithograph, and a backstory behind the album. I haven't shopped their member store but their catalog looks like it's geared towards newer releases.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I've found https://www.newburycomics.com/ and http://www.pledgemusic.com/ can have great exclusives.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
oh poo poo better watch out for all those rotten tumblr SJWs on the Vinyl Me Please forums, everyone

they are ABOUND

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

They might even ask you not to be an rear end in a top hat! Your first amendment rights will be trampled and the feminists will win.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Jehde posted:

Since then I've picked up Pretty Hate Machine from NIN, Shrink from The Notwist, Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada from GY!BE, ( ) from Sigur Rós, If I Should Fall from Grace with God from The Pogues, and Feast of Wire from Calexico.

There's a vinyl store on my street so I like to check it out when I'm nearby just to see what they have. I plan to just get a favourite album from each of my favourite artists, since I already have a lot of their discographies on CD, but I've already come dangerously close to buying albums that don't fit this criteria. I'm also learning that certain albums can be pretty hard to find, like New Order's Substance or anything from Massive Attack.

This ship has probably sailed, but be careful about the PHM LP. I believe it's the 2011 version (which I unfortunately have) that sounds like hot garbage. Noisy and skippy and terrible.

The worst part about being all excited about collecting records is finding out a ton of stuff you want is long since out of press, super expensive and/or impossible to find.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Barry posted:

The worst part about being all excited about collecting records is finding out a ton of stuff you want is long since out of press, super expensive and/or impossible to find.

this is the lamest possible way to look at it. what 'excitement' is there in 'collecting records' by going on some website, clicking Order Now, and waiting 3 days? the reason i started collecting records was because it was fun to track down or just randomly find things that weren't readily available that i really wanted.

this is why things like want lists and trading exist in communities where people do more than click add to cart

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I get the appeal of "the hunt" but I would much rather be able to just get whatever album I want when I want it. Obviously that's unrealistic when it comes to super old stuff, but it stinks when something relatively new is almost impossible to find. I was elated when they reissued 69 Love Songs last year.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Stan Taylor posted:

I get the appeal of "the hunt" but I would much rather be able to just get whatever album I want when I want it.

this explains the thriving and lucrative world of CD collecting

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I collect Cds and there's actually alot of rare stuff you have to hunt down.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
that's true there was the sufjan stevens CD with superman on the cover that they made him remove. very rare. can't get that poo poo on insound.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If you want new stuff on wax why don't you just keep up with release dates and pre-orders?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even then, some stuff just flies. Gotta remember a lot of people are buying and banking on selling on extra copies at a profit because they know the run is so limited.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Mike_V posted:

If you want new stuff on wax why don't you just keep up with release dates and pre-orders?

I usually discover albums after they are already out. Except for movie/game soundtracks of course. Am I doing this right?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Stan Taylor posted:

I usually discover albums after they are already out. Except for movie/game soundtracks of course. Am I doing this right?

relative to when you're posting? yes absolutely.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Boinks posted:

I collect Cds and there's actually alot of rare stuff you have to hunt down.

I sold a CD for $500 once on this principle. The only other listing for it on amazon was for $1500 so I figure they got a bargain.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The stuff from Newbury Comics are just colored vinyl of regular reissues of poo poo that can be found easily. It's good if you're into that sort of thing, but they often cost more than the regular black vinyl counterparts by at least five bucks.

Mike_V posted:

Not every one has an unlimited supply of money.

Dogen posted:

I sold a CD for $500 once on this principle. The only other listing for it on amazon was for $1500 so I figure they got a bargain.

Jesus. What was it?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
think I've posted this before but I do not buy old records online because if it weren't for the physical, going to stores aspect of The Hunt I would have zero money or shelf space by this point

I mean, I already have zero shelf space (thankfully you can get those little 2x2 Kallax shelves in the mail!), but my apartment would be a Very Special Episode of Hoarders if I let myself buy stuff on Discogs

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CPL593H posted:

Jesus. What was it?

http://www.discogs.com/VNV-Nation-Advance-And-Follow/release/346216

First VNV Nation album which I had gotten from ebay when I got into their stuff sometime in the early oughts for $20. I think I sold it around 2010-2011 sometime.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Barry posted:

This ship has probably sailed, but be careful about the PHM LP. I believe it's the 2011 version (which I unfortunately have) that sounds like hot garbage. Noisy and skippy and terrible.

I'm fairly sure it is the 2011 reissue as the shop had tonnes of them for pretty cheap. It sounds fine to me, though I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile.

I also much prefer the physical hunt, it's fun to flip through the recent arrivals bin to see what I can find. There will probably eventually be some album I really want online that doesn't cost $texas that will make me cave though.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 28, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stay depressed posted:

that's true there was the sufjan stevens CD with superman on the cover that they made him remove. very rare. can't get that poo poo on insound.

Also the TAD CD with the picture of the couple Tad Doyle found at a swap meet that later got them threatened with legal action.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Per a former coworker at the store I worked at one of our regulars dropped a grand online on some older Sturgill Simpson CD that's been out of print forever.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

theradiostillsucks posted:

Anyway, so as to contribute and not just be a total poo poo-mouthed monster crushing kickstarted dreams, I've been buying a lot more records lately than I have in the past few years, due in part to a blowout sale at the record store I used to work for that just recently shut down, as well as revisiting another store in town I didn't visit all that often back when I got my fill of record stores by being at one 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. One of my favorite things I've discovered that seems to have come into full swing (and possibly died out somewhat) during that time are the 'private press new age' reissues spearheaded by Light in the Attic's excellent "I Am the Center" box set and Numero Group's double LP reissues of Jordan De La Sierra's "Gymnosphere" and Iasos' "Celestial Soul Portrait." (As well as Important's reissue of JD Emmanuel's "Wizards"). Great stuff if you want to bliss the gently caress out and take 'er easy.

This is the extremely good poo poo btw. I'm planning on grabbing 3 or 4 of my favorite Yanni releases from Discogs next month.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

The stuff from Newbury Comics are just colored vinyl of regular reissues of poo poo that can be found easily. It's good if you're into that sort of thing, but they often cost more than the regular black vinyl counterparts by at least five bucks.

Yep, this is 100% true, but I like the colors they get for stuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Yep, this is 100% true, but I like the colors they get for stuff.

They had a Louvin Brother Satan is For Real reissue limited to 666 on red vinyl so I just had to buy that. The reissue itself was done by Light in the Attic, so it's actually really good.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Someone sell me a copy of NIN - Fragile, preferably not for $6,000. Thanks!

In all seriousness, does anyone own this and if so, how does it sound?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

stay depressed posted:

this is the lamest possible way to look at it. what 'excitement' is there in 'collecting records' by going on some website, clicking Order Now, and waiting 3 days? the reason i started collecting records was because it was fun to track down or just randomly find things that weren't readily available that i really wanted.

this is why things like want lists and trading exist in communities where people do more than click add to cart

I think you're projecting some opinion on me that I didn't necessarily express. I love the thrill of the hunt as much as anyone and spend plenty of time crate digging and buying poo poo I've never heard before because it has cool album art, but is also nice to actually be able to get what you want on the medium you have chosen. I don't know if that's entitled nonsense, but it sucks wanting to have something on the medium you'd prefer and it being $300 or whatever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Personally I won't listen to any LP that cost less than 250 dollars. Anything else is for plebs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

I think you're projecting some opinion on me that I didn't necessarily express. I love the thrill of the hunt as much as anyone and spend plenty of time crate digging and buying poo poo I've never heard before because it has cool album art, but is also nice to actually be able to get what you want on the medium you have chosen. I don't know if that's entitled nonsense, but it sucks wanting to have something on the medium you'd prefer and it being $300 or whatever.

That still sounds super weird. Why would you prefer to have some dumb music on wax if it was super expensive that way but super cheap and accessible in any other format?

Is there like a particular record that you can't get without paying mucho dinero that really burns your britches?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I feel like vinyl discussion in general (myself included) is a whole lot of making GBS threads on other people and telling them how best to approach and pursue their hobby. Just buy what you like and don't buy what you don't like or find too expensive or gimmicky or whatever and you'll be a lot happier with it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I feel like vinyl discussion in general (myself included) is a whole lot of making GBS threads on other people and telling them how best to approach and pursue their hobby. Just buy what you like and don't buy what you don't like or find too expensive or gimmicky or whatever and you'll be a lot happier with it.

Listen, if you couldn't get the version of the Jurrasic Park soundtrack you wanted you'd be so steamed right now.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

That still sounds super weird. Why would you prefer to have some dumb music on wax if it was super expensive that way but super cheap and accessible in any other format?

Is there like a particular record that you can't get without paying mucho dinero that really burns your britches?

I like vinyl? Ostensibly, by posting in this thread, you probably do too? I'm not sure what's so weird here.

Mostly 90's stuff I guess - mid career Pearl Jam albums, Tom Petty Wildflowers, whatever.

Like I'm not losing sleep over this but would it kill some of these still active artists to take some more of my money.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Listen, if you couldn't get the version of the Jurrasic Park soundtrack you wanted you'd be so steamed right now.

I've managed to dodge all the Mondo/Death Waltz/bad-movie-with-passable-synth-score reissue stuff, but my friend and former coworker just had a release come out on Death Waltz that will probably help him put out some more stuff on his own label, so that's neat I guess.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

I like vinyl? Ostensibly, by posting in this thread, you probably do too? I'm not sure what's so weird here.

Mostly 90's stuff I guess - mid career Pearl Jam albums, Tom Petty Wildflowers, whatever.

Like I'm not losing sleep over this but would it kill some of these still active artists to take some more of my money.

The idea of listening to Wildflowers without being able to skip tracks just gave me PTSD.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
This is probably some rose colored glasses association with positive events kind of crap but I love that album start to finish. I guess Honey Bee is a little take it or leave it.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

The idea of listening to Wildflowers without being able to skip tracks just gave me PTSD.

http://www.soundstage.com/vinyl/vinyl200509.htm

Barry posted:

This is probably some rose colored glasses association with positive events kind of crap but I love that album start to finish. I guess Honey Bee is a little take it or leave it.

Wildflowers and She's The One are Petty's two greatest and most underrated albums IMO.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
There's been a She's The One preorder up for a phantom repress for like a year and a half.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've managed to dodge all the Mondo/Death Waltz/bad-movie-with-passable-synth-score reissue stuff, but my friend and former coworker just had a release come out on Death Waltz that will probably help him put out some more stuff on his own label, so that's neat I guess.

Don't talk poo poo about John Carpenter or I will cut you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Don't talk poo poo about John Carpenter or I will cut you.

I specifically said "bad" movie; Carpenter didn't start making those until fairly recently. I'm talking about the scores that are clearly the director's brother-in-law on a pawn shop Casio.