Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Beware... the Genderman

Maoist Pussy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Smash it Smash hit posted:

lisdten here pal you just gotta admit that i was first and you can be a sidekcik and ride in my sidecar when i go looking for trouble otherwise you are going to be the trouble i am looking for and trouble is my middle name

you cant FUCKIN just try and claim my indie post w/your business suits and corporate gender band, dude. not cool

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
um.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Every entry I read triggered me more and MORE and MORE!

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
are fictional genders as bad as otherkin or worse

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
69 Genders We Made Up To Frighten Grandpa, Number 29 Will Blow His Mind

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Keg posted:

69 Genders We Made Up To Frighten GBS, Number 29 Will Blow Their Minds

made it more accurate for you

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
5 genders that the patriarchy won't tell you about - cishets hate us! because we're generally loathsome

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

That Robot posted:

This is a surprisingly difficult question. I was going to say not as bad, but then realized that some of these invented genders are far more likely to wind up part of someone's ill-advised crusade than Otherkins are.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

That Robot posted:

Fictional genders could potentially ruin a fuckable person, whereas an otherkin was never going to be a loss.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pangender? That's racist!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
gentrify the streets, genderfy the sheets

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Makes sense to me

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Did someone say dragon age 2? My dragon age 2 sense is tingling

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Troposphere posted:

dragon age 2
dragon age Z
dragonball Z
genderball Z
genderball xie

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Troposphere posted:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

"Woah, I may be popcorngender, but I'm not crazy!"

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Gender is remarkably similar to medieval theology, it turns out.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I'm felisgendered

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Remember how there used to be just 152 genders but Nintendo keeps making new ones.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Acne Rain posted:

Remember how there used to be just 152 genders but Nintendo keeps making new ones.

How's an ice cream cone a gender, right? Oh, my gender is literally a bag of garbage, sure, yeah.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
my gender is LITERALLY SHAKING

LITERALLY

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
my gender is every gender no one has ever thought of before. stop making up new ones, you are appropiating mine.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Why bother with all these genders when male is the only one that matters?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

this person needs to be slapped in public

insufferable sanctimonious bullshit :smugjones:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Troposphere posted:

I knew you would come and try to spoil the conversation because you won't let tumblr folk get mocked

I have the following to say to you: neopronouns suck and you should know better

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

Velkest posted:

my gender is every gender no one has ever thought of before. stop making up new ones, you are appropiating mine.

No, I'm Omnigender! I even have your gender. I CAUGHT EM ALL!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Lard Goat posted:

No, I'm Omnigender! I even have your gender. I CAUGHT EM ALL!

well guess what, I put a virus on my gender before you uploaded it

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

Acne Rain posted:

well guess what, I put a virus on my gender before you uploaded it

gently caress, I think I'll pick bulbagender this time around.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

That Robot posted:

I knew you would come and try to spoil the conversation because you won't let tumblr folk get mocked

I have the following to say to you: neopronouns suck and you should know better

lol not everyone with a different opinion than yours is a sjw tumblrina or whatever, you big whiny nerd baby.

(countdown to patented That Robot meltdown starts now)

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

A misanthrope posted:

lol not everyone with a different opinion than yours is a sjw tumblrina or whatever, you big whiny nerd baby.

(countdown to patented That Robot meltdown starts now)

yeah and not everyone who makes fun of tumblr folk is a neckbeard fedora, though you spout it constantly

also i don't melt down. i post a lot when I'm bored or on a train and the app isn't very good for posting.

also nerd baby lol. these are some elementary burns that a blind person could pull off

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

im goingto fight everyone in this thread! line up bitches im gonna windmill my arms and walk forward and if you get in my way youre a loving dead man

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Looks like things aren't going quite as planned down at the Tumblr division of Yahoo...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-18/how-yahoo-s-identity-crisis-infected-tumblr posted:

How Yahoo!’s Identity Crisis Infected Tumblr
When Marissa Mayer announced in May 2013 that Yahoo! was buying Tumblr, she immediately swore “not to screw it up.” Yahoo's chief executive officer was seeking to dispel fears that the company would suck all the life out of Tumblr in an attempt to increase its financial value. Instead, Yahoo seems to have left the site alone and somehow squandered much of Tumblr’s financial value in the process.

Yahoo paid $1.1 billion for Tumblr, the biggest acquisition in Mayer’s shopping spree for dozens of startups. As has been endlessly repeated, Wall Street values Yahoo’s core business at negative $8 billion. (You get this number by taking the full value of Yahoo shares and subtracting its stakes in Alibaba and Yahoo! Japan.) In this light, it’s hard to see many bright spots. Yahoo’s struggles to capitalize on Tumblr’s potential offer a window into what has gone wrong with the company as a whole.

“If there’s a knock on Yahoo, it’s that they haven’t made the decision to say ‘Who are we?’ and how that’s articulated,” said Noah Mallin, a senior partner at MEC, a media agency that regularly works with the company. “There’s a bit of that to be seen in Tumblr as well.”

When Yahoo came knocking, Tumblr was at a crossroads. It was a small company that was growing fast without a clear vision of how to turn its vast audience into a viable business. David Karp, its then 26-year-old co-founder, faced hard decisions about hiring business-minded executives and making money from the audience he had amassed. Yahoo promised to take on those responsibilities. It also said it would leave Karp and his team alone. That offer, paired with huge paydays for Tumblr’s early employees and investors, was too tempting to pass up. Tumblr declined to comment.

By at least one measure, things seem to be coming together for Tumblr. The site’s audience has grown about 50 percent since Yahoo bought it, and that increase has come mostly from mobile, according to data from research firm ComScore. However, Tumblr isn’t attracting new users as fast as are competing social media services. Tumblr was the 13th-most-popular iOS app on June 20, 2013, the day the deal with Yahoo closed. It hasn’t since reached that level and has spent most of the last two years outside the top 100, according to researcher App Annie.

Earlier this week, Yahoo shareholder Eric Jackson published a lengthy takedown of Mayer’s tenure at Yahoo, which harshly criticized her acquisition strategy. In an interview, he said it was too early to call the Tumblr deal a failure. “They avoided the problem with other acquisitions in the past, where they tried to Yahoo-ify it,” he said. "Potentially, you could do something, and David Karp is still there. I think he has ideas.”

A major criticism of Mayer’s Yahoo has been a curious lack of ambition when it comes to new products. The same could be said of Tumblr, even with Karp at the helm. At a time when such apps as Snapchat have pushed the idea of media consumption and communication on smartphones, Tumblr hasn’t made major changes. In the past month or so, the company gave users the ability to make GIFs on their phones, as well as to carry on instant messaging conversations via the app, a feature whose absence had baffled many users.

Kyle Bunch, managing director for social at advertising agency R/GA, said the moves are long overdue. “Snapchat has gone from 0 to 60 really fast at the same time that Tumblr has taken their foot off the gas,” he said. “It feels like Tumblr was at its best when creation happened mostly on your desktop.”

Bunch, like many ad professionals, isn't giving up on Tumblr. While there is continued uneasiness in some quarters about Tumblr’s NSFW reputation, the blogging site has a big, young audience, and many advertisers like using its tools for building websites. Yahoo has taken some cautious steps to combine Tumblr’s charm with Yahoo’s reach. Last year, for instance, it started letting advertisers create posts on Tumblr, then run them on other Yahoo-owned websites.

Some advertisers grouse about Tumblr’s lack of options for targeting audiences, when other Yahoo sites offer more granularity. The mismatch between the audiences of Tumblr and Yahoo’s other sites is a feature, not a bug, said Ken Goldman, Yahoo’s chief financial officer. “Core Yahoo, sometimes people say it’s great for the middle of the country, and Tumblr is sort of great on the coast. So it’s a great demographic,” he said at a conference in March.

Mallin, from MEC, said Yahoo doesn’t do a great job of explaining to advertisers why this should excite them. The confused pitch reflects the larger reality at the company, which has trouble explaining how all its pieces add up to something coherent. Two and a half years after Yahoo bought Tumblr, the open questions Karp was facing as the owner of an independent company remain unanswered.

Yahoo's lack of vision might bode well for Tumblr were the broader company to start selling off pieces, a distinct possibility following the reversal of the Alibaba spinoff. The blogging site hasn’t seized the day under Yahoo, but Mayer has largely kept her promise: Tumblr may not have grown up as much as it should have during its time at Yahoo, but it hasn't been screwed up, either.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
whats marissa mayer's tumblr

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Shmorky needs a tumblr.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Mill Village posted:

Shmorky needs a tumblr.

butthug is a tumblr, you can get there by https://sketchamagowza.tumblr.com

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Nodelphi posted:

Why bother with all these genders when male is the only one that matters?

That's the thing, it is a bunch of struggle girls trying desperately to be something other than The Gender That Doesn't Matter

Maoist Pussy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 29, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My gender cost a late night fee
Your gender got the HIV

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mill Village posted:

Shmorky needs a tumblr.

Adbot