Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I am enjoying this game. But I think the marketing for it was poor. I thought it was more of a shooter, when it's really a serious RPG.

Reminds me of Mass Effect 1, and that's not really a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
20 mins in:

The menu and hud are yuck

The shooting feels bad, it's compounded by boringly hiding behind cover emptying mags into dudes with hoodies made of some unknown space armour

Movement feels slow and clunky

Took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to throw a grenade lol

Thanks for saving me money ubisoft

Most ps+ freebies last longer on my ps4's hdd before getting deleted

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I have been trying to register my code on Ubi's website since last night and all I get is an endless green loading bar. I guess I won't be playing this beta. Thanks Ubi!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Same here. Took a while to realize you need to hit the trigger immediately after you select the grenade.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How do character classes work? Is your character stuck after creation into certain skill trees?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

RCarr posted:

Same here. Took a while to realize you need to hit the trigger immediately after you select the grenade.

No? You can select the grenade type by holding down the grenade key and selecting the type. Then when you have selected the type, you press the grenade key, aim it and then use the fire key. If you just hit the trigger immediately after it's gonna go anywhere.

Harlock posted:

How do character classes work? Is your character stuck after creation into certain skill trees?

They're quite fluid, you have the three main skill strands; Medical, Tech (DPS) and Security (Tank). You gain perks and abilities by rebuilding the appropriate wing of your Base of Operations.

Abilities can be changed on the fly, and you can unlock mods for abilities by building the appropriate base item. For example in the Beta you can build a Quarantine Wing which gives you three mods on your scanner ability that changes it quite significantly.

No need to respec, just change your stuff on the fly.

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 29, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like this although the lag on the ps4 is atrocious right now. It's fun

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

That is either poor wording or I got in early or I don't know what to say.
I'm currently watching leaves dancing on the snow, and a silent new york in the distance.

Got my beta client for :italy: the other day after snagging the preorder.

Marxist Party
Jan 29, 2009

Rock out with your Cog out!

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

20 mins in:

The menu and hud are yuck

The shooting feels bad, it's compounded by boringly hiding behind cover emptying mags into dudes with hoodies made of some unknown space armour

Movement feels slow and clunky

Thanks for saving me money ubisoft

Most ps+ freebies last longer on my ps4's hdd before getting deleted

It took you 5 min to figure out how to hit the G key to throw a grenade when it was explained in the intro video that's unskippable when you first boot up the game? (slow clap)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I've heard the 'bullet sponge' thing all over the place, do they at least go down faster if you shoot them in the face or some poo poo?

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Marxist Party posted:

It took you 5 min to figure out how to hit the G key to throw a grenade when it was explained in the intro video that's unskippable when you first boot up the game? (slow clap)

Got a real winner there.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Marxist Party posted:

Show me the G button on ps4?

I missed the intro video. But the lady reminds you again on the 2nd mission rather poorly: On PS4 you have to hold d-pad then select a grenade with right stick, then you press d-pad to be able to use the right trigger throw it. I think.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boogaleeboo posted:

I've heard the 'bullet sponge' thing all over the place, do they at least go down faster if you shoot them in the face or some poo poo?

It's a MMO so no.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yes, headshots do more damage and have an increased chance of critical hits. The scanner ability will also give you increased damage and critical hit chance.

Abu Dave posted:

It's a MMO so no.

:effort:

Marxist Party
Jan 29, 2009

Rock out with your Cog out!

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I missed the intro video. But the lady reminds you again on the 2nd mission rather poorly: On PS4 you have to hold d-pad then select a grenade with right stick, then you press d-pad to be able to use the right trigger throw it. I think.

Excuse me, "Grenade button".

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Steam is unlocking now, you may need to restart steam for it to work.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

It's a MMO so no.

They do actually.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yeah, shooting them in the face when you start an encounter with an ambush on same level enemies using good guns usually lets you take one or sometimes two down before they get to cover, also some of the Burners have big flamethrowers, those explode after a few seconds if you put a shot into them and take out their buddies.
Are there any Xbox one players interested in roaming about the Dark Zone that I can trust not to act like a douchecanoe and shoot me in the back?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hezzy posted:

No? You can select the grenade type by holding down the grenade key and selecting the type. Then when you have selected the type, you press the grenade key, aim it and then use the fire key. If you just hit the trigger immediately after it's gonna go anywhere.

My way worked fine but thanks?

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Forgive my stockholme syndrome for a game I havent played because, ya know, work and adult responsibilities. But wow bad opinions because you can't pay attention to a tutorial. hahahahahahaha

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

:siren: If you were having problems playing the game on Steam, it's now fixed. Restart Steam and you should be able to get the download.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to change the rate of fire with automatic weapons? Instead of full auto can you switch to single shot of 2-3 round bursts? Or is it pretty much all in unless its specifically burst or single shot gun?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Orv posted:

They do actually.

Get a good precision + weapon (like a bolt rifle or scar) go for the head, using a heavy revolver + riot shield also works too and poo poo goes down fast

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 29, 2016

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

drat, the dark zone is really loving fun. PVE is fine but holy hell, those staredowns when it's time to extract the loot are amazing. :allears:

Traded a coffee for my beta key, now I think I'm gonna buy the game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really loving love Ubisoft's habit of refusing to let you into the graphics settings before they force you into a game, so I get to struggle with a jacked-up resolution for the first ten minutes.

And then you can't even change them because there's no Accept Changes button and just exiting out of the menu does nothing! Great start to the beta!

Oh, there's the Accept Changes button, hidden beneath the bottom of my screen that I couldn't see because of the aforementioned jackedupedness.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 29, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Do they have any stealth options available in the beta? Or is it purely going to be Heal/Dps/Tank?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my bad the game was wicked laggy a few hours ago so I didn't notice increased damage

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Here's how to win the beta, it's nothing major but skip it if you'd rather figure stuff out yourself:

The story mission on hard will give you by far the best xp/drops until you go to the dark zone. Find the icon on the map and it'll let you up the difficulty. I would at least get a blue marksman/assault rifle from it before going to the dark zone, if not level 8 as well. Side missions aren't rewarding on any level.

Once you're in the dark zone, try not to lose XP by dying. DZ rank 8 gets you purple gear, and DZ rank 12 gets you orange weapons. They're both way, way better than anything else you can get. Also DZ currency is all that really matters in the beta so picking up trash loot isn't worth becoming a target. It also lets you save those inventory slots for appearance items :j:

Tide posted:

Is there a way to change the rate of fire with automatic weapons? Instead of full auto can you switch to single shot of 2-3 round bursts? Or is it pretty much all in unless its specifically burst or single shot gun?

You can find SMGs/Assault Rifles with burst fire as a trait, but most are full auto. It's not a super exclusive trait or anything either.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Do they have any stealth options available in the beta? Or is it purely going to be Heal/Dps/Tank?

vvv Yeah, but I don't think suppressors actually do anything beyond threat reduction and whatever RNG mods they can show up with. They don't even drop your damage like in most shooters.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 29, 2016

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
You do get suppressors for weapons but beyond that I don't think there's much active stealth, there's no abilities and I don't know if there's a "backstab" type mechanic, though running from cover to cover before attacking works well.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
MOM WHY ARE YOU MY DISPATCHER GODDAMMIT MOM GO AWAY I'M TRYING TO SAVE NEW YORK

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
This game is good but it just opens too many things at the same time. More than a case of bad UI is that there is no loving tutorial mission and you are showered with options. Game opened with "walk to base" and found a public event and a side mission where you have to enter a contaminated house, check three crates and reach an antenna. Not even Infamous 1 had an introduction that was THIS obtuse. But overall I am liking it.

Auto matchmaking and seamless transitions between base and open areas are cool and good.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm really impressed with how quick everything loads in this game. I'm liking it so far but agreed on the how busy the UI is.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I played for an hour on PS4 this morning. This game wasn't really on my radar before Monday, so I had no expectations, and am not really familiar with "cover shooters" or 3rd person games, so I guess maybe I am an unbiased reviewer? Anyway, my initial impressions:
  • HUD is a bit busy, but I imagine I'll figure it out over time...
  • Enemies were not "Bullet Sponges"... not two shot kills either, but I never felt "OMG this is dumb". The named boss at the end of the Medical mission I did had armor and so on, but he was a boss, so that's expected. I was dropping the "thug" dudes fairly quickly.
  • Movement felt pretty good and smooth
  • Cover system (again, I'm not used to them!) is pretty intuitive, even for me, and the way you can move from cover to cover is pretty cool. There are options in the settings that let you change some stuff, but I didn't touch those yet.
  • Visually, game is nice. Not jaw-dropping, but it looks good, FPS seemed smooth, and the environment is well done.
  • No loading screens at all! Very cool.
  • Seeing other players roaming around and being able to invite them (although I didn't) was cool.
  • Missions all seem "go there, shoot dudes, collect a thing / person and you did it!" type stuff. Nothing groundbreaking, but I only played for an hour, so maybe there are more types.
  • Shooting is pretty decent, guns are less accurate than many shooters I have played, which I think works well in what I've seen: if it had the accuracy of say, Destiny, the battles would be over real quick I think.
  • The whole gear / equipment thing is a bit overwhelming... then again, it's an RPG, so I imagine that's a good thing! Maybe the release will have more HOW TO on it.

So far, so good. Enjoyable shooter game!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Extra nvidia beta code

http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-us/beta/
2AABAJ2LU2F1

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

okay neat, steam automatically provides you with a beta key, nice

e: poo poo there's another download I need to get through before I get to play!

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

pandaK posted:

okay neat, steam automatically provides you with a beta key, nice

e: poo poo there's another download I need to get through before I get to play!

Same here, I'm on a very lovely wifi connection until they install the internet proper in my new apartment. So all I have left is to bitch about it here while I downloads it oh so slowly...

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just hit 8 so I'm about do to the Dark Zone, which is what I care about, but impressions so far: It's 30% off on GMG and that's about what it seems worth; the shooting is okay, the RPGness is not offensive, even 4 people on hard didn't make the enemies bullet spongey, the exploration is neat enough. :shrug: It's not bad, but it's not the revolution of MMORPGs that was promised, nor should anyone have expected that after four years of delays.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Defending yourself from one of the many 4 man gank-squads that roam the dark zone should not turn you Rogue, only to have his teammates instantly revive them and kill you and you're the one that is penalized DZ points. They initiate the fight, shoot you up first and you retalite, you get punished.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

aww, there's no character customization beyond randoming in the beta? Oh well, it randomed me a lady that almost looks like Kojima so that's fine for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This game doesn't have numpad support what the gently caress

• Locked thread