Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Gammatron 64 posted:

If you look at the TFA artbook, TFA had a lot of crazy poo poo that was cut out of it, like an underwater Death Star and Anakin showing up as a ghost that is half Anakin, half Darth Vader. Sadly I think a lot of TFA's final art design is a bit on the boring side and doesn't have a lot of memorable aliens or ships and things. :(

Those mosquito aliens, though. Those guys rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Pablo Hidalgo is now saying that Jango Fett was never a Mandalorian. Funny coming from the guy who edited and did extensive work on the Mandalorians a few years ago.

Sometimes I wonder what the point of bringing old EU material like the Death Watch to the NEU is when they're just going to keep changing their minds.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Pablo Hidalgo is now saying that Jango Fett was never a Mandalorian. Funny coming from the guy who edited and did extensive work on the Mandalorians a few years ago.

Sometimes I wonder what the point of bringing old EU material like the Death Watch to the NEU is when they're just going to keep changing their minds.

Pablo leans back in his chair, smiles to himself, and thinks "Your move, Traviss."

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's a line in The Clone Wars, I believe in the very first Mandalorian episode, where Obi-Wan refers to Jango Fett as a Mandalorian. One of the Mandalorians corrects him and calls Jango a "thug with a stolen armor", so this isn't exactly new information.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Before Jango existed Boba Fett was just a dude who owned Mandalorian armor. Armor which was usually implied to be antique and nearly unique because the Mandalorians didn't really exist anymore.

So I'm pretty much on board with this.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pablo leans back in his chair, smiles to himself, and thinks "Your move, Traviss."
Two days later she rams her bomb-rigged car into his house while muttering "Talifan" under her breath.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Casimir Radon posted:

Two days later she rams her bomb-rigged car into his house while muttering "Talifan" under her breath.

A shame she wouldn't know to shout out "Adm. Ackbar!!" to signal the death of infidels.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

FishFood posted:

Those mosquito aliens, though. Those guys rule.

Yeah, I like those guys, too.

Chairman Capone posted:

I uploaded scans from the Making of Star Wars book, which as far as I know are the only place they've been published (although it seems like minor things might have been changed, as was the case in other supposed 1970s Lucas notes in the book):

http://imgur.com/a/toW1q

Also of note from them: Han was originally kicked out of the Imperial Academy for selling cheat sheets for tests, and he and Chewie's first job was serving as cowboys herding lizard-giraffes whose meat is an aphrodisiac.

Thanks, man! Interesting stuff.

What's really interesting is George Lucas really did invent midi-chorlians since day one, and C-3PO was rebuilt by a kid at a junk dealer's shop.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Eh, on Midichloriens and Threepio, that is exactly the kind of stuff Lucas likely added at a later date.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Chairman Capone posted:

I uploaded scans from the Making of Star Wars book, which as far as I know are the only place they've been published (although it seems like minor things might have been changed, as was the case in other supposed 1970s Lucas notes in the book):

Also of note from them: Han was originally kicked out of the Imperial Academy for selling cheat sheets for tests, and he and Chewie's first job was serving as cowboys herding lizard-giraffes whose meat is an aphrodisiac.

It's so interesting how much of the prequels are in here (a Chancellor with emergency powers manipulates the Senate into making him Emperor, midi-chlorians, a Jedi purge) and how much of them aren't (the entire idea of the Clone Wars or a wartime emergency in general) and how much is just plain weird (Han's entire backstory).

Also stuff that comes up in TFA like female stormtroopers and non-Jedi using lightsabers. :v:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I never understood the people who claimed non Jedi couldn't use Lightsabers. Sometimes they would argue they couldn't even turn them on. Apparently they religiously ignore the beginning of Empire?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

remusclaw posted:

I never understood the people who claimed non Jedi couldn't use Lightsabers. Sometimes they would argue they couldn't even turn them on. Apparently they religiously ignore the beginning of Empire?

There was one book that had a lightsaber that was built without an external switch, that did require telekinesis to turn on...but yeah...that was a special case.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think the only time the idea that a non-force user couldn't turn on a lightsaber was in The Crystal Star, everyone's favorite book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

I think the only time the idea that a non-force user couldn't turn on a lightsaber was in The Crystal Star, everyone's favorite book.

That's actually the one I was referencing! Yeah, they were specifically called out to be specially built to not have external switches, not that all lightsabers needed telekinesis to activate.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

remusclaw posted:

I've seen such people point to that scene as evidence that Han must be secretly Force-sensitive, so yeah.

I think the general idea there is that any poor bastard mundane would instantly and inevitably slice their own leg off the instant they were silly enough to fire up a lightsaber, and would deserve it for daring to use a weapon above their station.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 30, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I always found it funny that Obi-Wan just hands Luke this ridiculously dangerous weapon without telling him what it does, or even makes sure he's not pointing it at anybody before lighting it up.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

He was more-or-less the main Star Wars Dark Horse comics protagonist during the prequel years. He was a lot more interesting there as basically the Jedi equivalent of an undercover cop/double triple I think quadruple agent at one point.
He was pretty cool. I seem to recall he actually started out as a happy-go-lucky rebel sort in Dark Horse's Republic, until the plot happened and he got assigned to the mission of infiltrating the Separatists. So maybe an issue or so.

That storyline's written by Jon Ostrander, though. He seems obsessed with people falling to the dark side with the best intention, and it sort of kills me, because he's really bad at writing those people.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I always found it funny that Obi-Wan just hands Luke this ridiculously dangerous weapon without telling him what it does, or even makes sure he's not pointing it at anybody before lighting it up.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I always just figured that a lightsaber wouldn't do you much good if you didn't have the force. You couldn't deflect blaster bolts and you'd be likely to accidentally cut your own limbs off if you weren't careful.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

I always just figured that a lightsaber wouldn't do you much good if you didn't have the force. You couldn't deflect blaster bolts and you'd be likely to accidentally cut your own limbs off if you weren't careful.

It'd be excellent to have around as a cutting or breaching tool though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

What's really interesting is George Lucas really did invent midi-chorlians since day one, and C-3PO was rebuilt by a kid at a junk dealer's shop.

JW Rinzler actually later explicitly stated on his old Star Wars.com blog that the midichlorian part was added by Lucas in 2007 to convey "what he would have written in 1977".

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

jivjov posted:

It'd be excellent to have around as a cutting or breaching tool though.

This idea shows up in Zahn's Scoundrels book

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

JW Rinzler actually later explicitly stated on his old Star Wars.com blog that the midichlorian part was added by Lucas in 2007 to convey "what he would have written in 1977".

Yeah, I enjoyed reading that book, but was pretty sad when it came out that we essentially got "The Making of Star Wars: Special Edition."

"The Secret History of Star Wars" was pretty good though.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Can we bring Traviss back and have her write Death Watch propaganda?

Edit: Also, you can't build a lightsaber without the Force. Using one for combat would probably be stupid without it, especially since you're massively unlikely to have been trained in it. But yeah, the reason they're not cutting tools the galaxy over is that you need a Force user to attune the crystal.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 31, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

blackmongoose posted:

This idea shows up in Zahn's Scoundrels book

Yeah there's a safecracker who uses a lovely broken lightsaber that barely puts out a footlong beam to break into vaults.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pffft hahahahahaha
DIsney won't let EA put Force Awakens Characters in Battlefront to avoid breaking canon

I'm on a bit of a kick today. So, Palpatine, Boba Fett and Vader teaming up to fight Endor Luke, ANH Leia and Han Solo is totally fine, but you put a guy like Finn in there and suddenly you've crossed a line.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pffft hahahahahaha
DIsney won't let EA put Force Awakens Characters in Battlefront to avoid breaking canon

I'm on a bit of a kick today. So, Palpatine, Boba Fett and Vader teaming up to fight Endor Luke, ANH Leia and Han Solo is totally fine, but you put a guy like Finn in there and suddenly you've crossed a line.

Eh, it's more like EA doesn't want to invest time and resources into making new characters when they can just slap new costumes on existing characters and push it out for $50.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pffft hahahahahaha

Or you know Vader Palpatine and Fett showing up on Jakku when they should all canonically be dead.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Chairman Capone posted:

I dunno how much I trust the accuracy of some of this stuff. It's a 2007 book, directly authorized by and with heavy input from George Lucas himself. Of course he's going to try to cast it all as being part of one big vision.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Of course not, they are saving TFA cast for EA's Star Wars Battlefront 2: Milk It Harder.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pffft hahahahahaha

VideoGamer.com posted:

Speaking during an earnings call last night, CFO Blake Jorgensen explained that the publisher had to be careful not to violate the canon of Star Wars by putting characters from The Force Awakens into Battlefront, which is set 30 years earlier during Episodes 5, 6 and 7.

This is making me irrationally angry. How hard is it to get the episode numbers right?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't know or care how this is address in EU books or whatever but I always just thought that lightsabers were the traditional weapon of the Jedi, not that you literally had to be a Jedi in order to functionally use one.

in much the same way that the Kirpan is a type of knife traditionally wielded by Sikhs but you don't actually need to be a Sikh in order to use one. You won't be particularly good with it in combat if you haven't trained to use it as such, but you can still swing it at people or cut open an animal's belly or whatever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pops Mgee posted:

Or you know Vader Palpatine and Fett showing up on Jakku when they should all canonically be dead.

or simply the idea of Palpatine running around on a battlefield at all.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
It's a narrative-less shooter game, why are they now using "canon" as an excuse? After putting the Heroes and Villains all over the maps, including Jakku? Gameplay elements have long been defined as acceptable breaks from canonicity in SW games. The global story of Kyle Katarn mattered, not the exact number of Stormtroopers he ragdolled all over the place.

Hell, put Poe Dameron in Rogue Squadron 64; there was a freaking Buick Electra and even us continuity-likers could take the joke.

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 31, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Also if they want to be canon they shouldn't be portraying Boba Fett as some sort of badass or even a significant character on the "villain" side. His actual role in the original trilogy is just a minor background side character who looks cool but never really does anything at all. He's not even particularly villainous.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Earwicker posted:

Also if they want to be canon they shouldn't be portraying Boba Fett as some sort of badass or even a significant character on the "villain" side. His actual role in the original trilogy is just a minor background side character who looks cool but never really does anything at all. He's not even particularly villainous.

Well, he's no longer a Mandalorian, just a two bit thug who wears the armor and disintegrates people on a whim.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ecureuilmatrix posted:

After putting the Heroes and Villains all over the maps, including Jakku?

I thought Jakku didn't get Heroes and Villains? Admittedly I haven't played in over a month (got distracted by other games I got at Christmas time), but did an update enable Heroes in the Jakku maps?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Earwicker posted:

or simply the idea of Palpatine running around on a battlefield at all.

I like the idea of Sheeve getting his hands dirty every once in a while, but it probably wouldn't be like how it is in the game. Likely more covert or small scale stuff involving Jedi/Sith stuff. Like when he went to Mandalore to take out Maul and Opress.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy
At least these suits apparently care about the franchise.

Star Trek had UPN execs wanting random real world pop acts to randomly show up on the ship in Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Well I think the kids would really dig that.