Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

On the topic of OAL, it is true that AA cannot push you to B6 (JetBlue) because they do not have an interline agre

Weird, they pushed me to B6 when my SYR-ORD-LAX looked like it would run into problems in ORD. I went SYR-JFK-LAX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Can anyone help me find a one-way from HongKong to Auckland, NZ? Kinda short notice, somewhere between Jan 15th- Jan 20th. I am pretty flexible, but I don't want to spend too long in Hong Kong. I get to HK on the 11th (tomorrow) and think I want to stay there about a week. Then to NZ.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I found a pretty amazing multi-city flight the other day: Jacksonville, FL to Florianopolis, Brazil and a month later, Florianopolis to Lisbon, Portugal. $725. Well I didn't book it and now it's closer to the price you'd expect. :saddowns:

What gives? Maybe just a promotion that I missed? It wasn't just a fluke, either - other days and even other nearby airports were similarly priced - although Lisbon was the only European city this worked for.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I found a pretty amazing multi-city flight the other day: Jacksonville, FL to Florianopolis, Brazil and a month later, Florianopolis to Lisbon, Portugal. $725. Well I didn't book it and now it's closer to the price you'd expect. :saddowns:

What gives? Maybe just a promotion that I missed? It wasn't just a fluke, either - other days and even other nearby airports were similarly priced - although Lisbon was the only European city this worked for.

These things happen from time to time. Could be a good deal, could also be the system pricing it as a simple USA-Portugal flight instead of what it actually is (which I guess is a mistake fare).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm really interested in going to Benicassim 2016 (it's a music festival), can anyone help me find the lowest price flying out from the south of England to Barcelona/Valencia on Monday 11th July and returning Monday 18th July?

Alternatively, is there a thread for cheap coach travel?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Come back after 3 months

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Come back after 3 months

Duly noted, thanks :)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Rarity posted:

I'm really interested in going to Benicassim 2016 (it's a music festival), can anyone help me find the lowest price flying out from the south of England to Barcelona/Valencia on Monday 11th July and returning Monday 18th July?

Alternatively, is there a thread for cheap coach travel?

Since you have specific dates in mind, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to set up an email alert with a site like kayak.com to watch for a price drop. Only thing is that that's only going to search the airlines who participate in the multi-airline reservation systems. It doesn't show Southwest in the US for example, and it won't show charter holiday flights in UK which I understand are a thing there (although I usually hear about in relation to flights to Ibiza).

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

fordan posted:

Since you have specific dates in mind, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to set up an email alert with a site like kayak.com to watch for a price drop. Only thing is that that's only going to search the airlines who participate in the multi-airline reservation systems. It doesn't show Southwest in the US for example, and it won't show charter holiday flights in UK which I understand are a thing there (although I usually hear about in relation to flights to Ibiza).

Skyscanner covers European LCCs, except Ryanair I think

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I have heard that airline companies can fine you for buying a roundtrip ticket to go one way. This to me is mind boggling insanity. It's like if McDonald's made me pay more for buying a cheeseburger and eating only half. Airlines are lovely enough, but that is just unreal.

So, is this a real danger? If I fly one way on a round trip will they just charge my card for not showing up?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I have heard that airline companies can fine you for buying a roundtrip ticket to go one way. This to me is mind boggling insanity. It's like if McDonald's made me pay more for buying a cheeseburger and eating only half. Airlines are lovely enough, but that is just unreal.

So, is this a real danger? If I fly one way on a round trip will they just charge my card for not showing up?

You'd have to read the contract of carriage for that specific airline, but it almost certainly says that this is not allowed and the airline may charge you a fee and the difference in fare price. I don't think this is actually likely to happen as there are legitimate reasons to miss a flight, but it is a risk you should be aware of. Airline pricing of one way tickets doesn't appear to make sense, but your comparison to McDonald's isn't accurate.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think you've got some confused information. The issue, most recently anyway, is people buying hidden city tickets. These are one-way tickets AAA-BBB-CCC where the actual destination is BBB so the BBB-CCC segment is abandoned because AAA-BBB was more expensive than AAA-BBB-CCC thanks to the market-based pricing system that airlines use. That is against the contract of carriage for most if not all airlines; I don't think the company can fine anyone, but they can cancel frequent flyer accounts, refuse to sell tickets, etc. All of which are fairly extreme measures that airlines only take in the most egregious of circumstances, usually.

You'd have to check the fare rules but I've never heard of an airline attempting to charge someone a fee for not flying the return.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

asur posted:

You'd have to read the contract of carriage for that specific airline, but it almost certainly says that this is not allowed and the airline may charge you a fee and the difference in fare price. I don't think this is actually likely to happen as there are legitimate reasons to miss a flight, but it is a risk you should be aware of. Airline pricing of one way tickets doesn't appear to make sense, but your comparison to McDonald's isn't accurate.

This is only if you attempt to take the return leg at a different time. Abandoning it complete, a la hidden city ticketing, is not likely to cause any additional charge.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Mackieman posted:

This is only if you attempt to take the return leg at a different time. Abandoning it complete, a la hidden city ticketing, is not likely to cause any additional charge.

I agree that it is not likely to cause any additional charges as the airline has very little incentive to pursue people over this, but unless there is a law prohibiting this that I'm unaware of then the contract of carriage that you agreed to when purchasing the ticket is likely to include that this practice is prohibited and the carrier can charge you the difference in fare and/or a fee. I've included the 2 relevant sections from United's Contract of Carriage below. I don't think this is likely to happen as there are many legitimate reasons to miss a flight, but I do think people should be aware of the potential risks however slight they may be. For a significant sum of money, I personally would be willing to take the risk.

quote:

Rule 6 J 2: The purchase and use of round-trip Tickets for the purpose of one-way travel only, known as ―Throwaway Ticketing is prohibited by UA.
Rule 6 K:
UA‘s Remedies for Violation(s) of Rules - Where a Ticket is purchased and used in violation of the law, these rules or
any fare rule (including Hidden Cities Ticketing, Point Beyond Ticketing, Throwaway Ticketing, or Back-to-Back
Ticketing), UA, without notice to the passenger, has the right in its sole discretion to take all actions permitted by law,
including but not limited to, the following:
1) Invalidate the Ticket(s);
2) Cancel any remaining portion of the Passenger‘s itinerary;
3) Confiscate any unused Flight Coupons;
4) Refuse to board the Passenger and to carry the Passenger‘s baggage, unless the difference between the fare paid and the fare for transportation used is collected prior to boarding;
5) Assess the Passenger for the actual value of the Ticket which shall be the difference between the lowest fare applicable to the Passenger‘s actual itinerary and the fare actually paid;
6) Delete miles in the Passenger‘s frequent flyer account (UA‘s MileagePlus Program), revoke the Passenger‘s Elite status, if any, in the MileagePlus Program, terminate the Passenger‘s participation in the MileagePlus Program, or take any other action permitted by the MileagePlus and
7) Take legal action with respect to the Passenger.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Edit: nevermind figured it out

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 26, 2016

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
In a few weeks, I'm going to fly for the first time since 9/11 (god that feels weird to say). I googled for some tips but some of it doesn't apply or is a bit outdated. It's just going to be my ugly self and some clothes. I can't really move the days or airports, so I'm not going bargain hunting. My questions are:

1: How early should I arrive to a flight after work on a Friday?
2: Anyone used mobile apps for boarding passes before? American offers that as an option. Is it just a QR code they scan or something?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Magnetic North posted:

In a few weeks, I'm going to fly for the first time since 9/11 (god that feels weird to say). I googled for some tips but some of it doesn't apply or is a bit outdated. It's just going to be my ugly self and some clothes. I can't really move the days or airports, so I'm not going bargain hunting. My questions are:

2: Anyone used mobile apps for boarding passes before? American offers that as an option. Is it just a QR code they scan or something?

1 : Really depends on where you are. Flying from Denver, I get there 1 - 2 hrs early. Flying from Billings, 20 mins seems like it'd be fine.
2 : I typically use my phone. I'll put it on my phone and tablet just in case of lockup or something. Never had an issue that wasn't an issue with my phone.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

deong posted:

1 : Really depends on where you are. Flying from Denver, I get there 1 - 2 hrs early. Flying from Billings, 20 mins seems like it'd be fine.
2 : I typically use my phone. I'll put it on my phone and tablet just in case of lockup or something. Never had an issue that wasn't an issue with my phone.

I'm leaving from RDU. I Googled Airport Wait Times to see if someone smart had put together a site for that, and found this from the DHS people, except the times only go up to 31+. :doh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Magnetic North posted:

It's less of an issue with Android Wallet or Apple Wallet or whatever instead of e-mail for mobile boarding passes, but it could still theoretically happen, so: it's a real flaming bastard when you accidentally delete the boarding pass between security and the gate. I recovered it, luckily, but it was a good minute or two of freaking out.

You didn't ask this, but I'll mention it anyway since I tried it for novelty's sake: Apple Watch boarding passes are not good, because, among other problems, some readers don't have enough space for you to put your wrist underneath. Stick with the phone.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I have a question related to cheap airfare. I'm partway through booking between multiple flights via multiple airlines for a big trip in late April from Detroit to Athens, then screwing around Europe, then Stockholm back to Detroit in early May. I'm using Norwegian flights for the transatlantic legs (already got $198 for Boston-London after adding in all fees :toot:), and I'm using smaller budget airlines for the connecting flights, like Detroit-Boston, London-Athens, and so forth. However, it only just occurred to me that I've never done a multi-leg, multi-airline international trip without stopping at each leg before. I don't know if I can check luggage through all those different airlines, or if I'll need to pick up and re-check it at each stop.

Like, with the first leg of the trip, I'm probably going to take Spirit Airlines from Detroit to Boston, then Norwegian from Boston to London (Gatwick), then easyJet from Gatwick to Athens. Can I check my luggage at Detroit with Spirit, and trust that I can pick it up in Athens with easyJet, or will I have to run around a bit at Boston and London to pick up and then re-check luggage again? If I can't, I can deal with that, 'cos I got enough time at each layover to run around, but if I could that would be super-convenient.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

You're going to have to pick up at Gatwick to push it through customs regardless of airline. Just look for the drop off location once you pass through customs.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
All those segments are booked separately, you're going to have to pick up and recheck everywhere.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ah well, it was worth double-checking. Got a six-hour layover at Gatwick, though, so that's time aplenty to take care of all that.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Magnetic North posted:

Two hours should be plenty. And the only time I don't use a mobile boarding pass is on international flights where there is no option for doing so since the airline has to check your passport or visa or whatever. Mobile boarding passes are very common especially amongst frequent travelers.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ofaloaf posted:

Ah well, it was worth double-checking. Got a six-hour layover at Gatwick, though, so that's time aplenty to take care of all that.

Do keep in mind that you're booking unprotected connections; while six hours should be three times more than one would normally need, be aware that if a flight is canceled or severely delayed, you'll have no recourse and may need to shell out for a walk up fare which is usually not cheap. Also, most of those low cost carriers don't include free checked bags.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mackieman posted:

Do keep in mind that you're booking unprotected connections; while six hours should be three times more than one would normally need, be aware that if a flight is canceled or severely delayed, you'll have no recourse and may need to shell out for a walk up fare which is usually not cheap. Also, most of those low cost carriers don't include free checked bags.
Yeah, I've been paying the fees for bags and travel fuckup protection for the budget flights, on top of basic airfare. Still comes out pretty cheap, though. If it all fucks up then I'll probably be stuck in London, which is at least a major hub in its own right and is not lacking in alternative flights.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mackieman posted:

Two hours should be plenty. And the only time I don't use a mobile boarding pass is on international flights where there is no option for doing so since the airline has to check your passport or visa or whatever. Mobile boarding passes are very common especially amongst frequent travelers.

Is this an issue? All the international flights I've taken just do a document check when you check your luggage, or call you up prior to boarding to verify your documents (which they still do if you check in at the airport, because no one actually employs check-in agents for anyone but business class passengers). Excepting Cuba, where Internet is really limited, I haven't been on a flight that didn't allow a mobile boarding pass in ages.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PT6A posted:

Is this an issue? All the international flights I've taken just do a document check when you check your luggage, or call you up prior to boarding to verify your documents (which they still do if you check in at the airport, because no one actually employs check-in agents for anyone but business class passengers). Excepting Cuba, where Internet is really limited, I haven't been on a flight that didn't allow a mobile boarding pass in ages.

It depends on where you're going. China, for example, requires a visa obtained in advance from drat near everyone who isn't a Chinese citizen (or from HKG). Airlines usually choose to validate those docs prior to issuance of a boarding pass because they're on the hook if they transport someone who doesn't have a valid visa.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to book a flight to Hawaii in a season when it is terrible to do so, I assume. Planning to be gone approximately one week. So far my wife and I plan to leave Thursday, February 25, and return Thursday, March 3. We are flexible 2 days either direction on either of those, but would prefer not to make the trip very short since the travel time is significant.

We will be leaving from either IAD or BWI and flying to HNL.

So far I'm looking at

BWI - American 531 - Phoenix
American 692 - HNL

and then returning via

HNL - Alaska 852 - SEA
Alaska 766 - BWI

But I'm not sure if you wizards know some tools I don't that can bring the departure price down. It's looking like I'm in for about 1200 out and 600 back for 2 people. Is that about right?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm seeing multiple options on your preferred dates for a total of $1,500 for 2 people searching directly on AA.com.

Seeing options for under $1,300 for 2 people searching directly on Alaska on the same dates, although you'd have an overnight in Seattle on the way out to Hawaii.

In both instances you'd be departing Hawaii on Thursday 3/3 and either laying over or redeye-ing to arrive back in DC on a Friday.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So I am looking to fly to LA around July 1st, trying to leave on the Wednesday from Norfolk/Newport News to LA, and head back on Monday/late Sunday. I don't know a thing about the airports in LA, and when I checked Southwest it was around 1K for first class, and google flights gives an average price of 500 or so for coach. Is this a generally correct fare estimate?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

I'm trying to book a flight to Hawaii in a season when it is terrible to do so, I assume. Planning to be gone approximately one week. So far my wife and I plan to leave Thursday, February 25, and return Thursday, March 3. We are flexible 2 days either direction on either of those, but would prefer not to make the trip very short since the travel time is significant.

So far I'm looking at

American 692 - HNL

and then returning via

HNL - Alaska 852 - SEA
Alaska 766 - BWI

But I'm not sure if you wizards know some tools I don't that can bring the departure price down. It's looking like I'm in for about 1200 out and 600 back for 2 people. Is that about right?

Did you try using ITA Matrix or Google Flights? I'm seeing flights between $1100 and $1300. Virgin out of IAD is the cheapest but would require an overnight in SFO. If you don't want to overnight then all 3 main carriers have options at around $1250 out of BWI. The date range doesn't seem to make much of a difference though I'm just glancing through the results.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

asur posted:

Did you try using ITA Matrix or Google Flights? I'm seeing flights between $1100 and $1300. Virgin out of IAD is the cheapest but would require an overnight in SFO. If you don't want to overnight then all 3 main carriers have options at around $1250 out of BWI. The date range doesn't seem to make much of a difference though I'm just glancing through the results.

Google Flights is what I used first, and this are the same results I was looking at, looks like. I was mostly just going a double check in case there was something I wasn't seeing or some option for changing days I was missing.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Paramemetic posted:

So far I'm looking at

American 692 - HNL

and then returning via

HNL - Alaska 852 - SEA
Alaska 766 - BWI

No idea what kind of crazy poo poo you're looking at. I see $661 round trip per person BWI-HNL with a plane change in PHX both ways on your preferred dates. Long flug in coach but it doesn't have any forced overnights or other crazy connections.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ryand-Smith posted:

So I am looking to fly to LA around July 1st, trying to leave on the Wednesday from Norfolk/Newport News to LA, and head back on Monday/late Sunday. I don't know a thing about the airports in LA, and when I checked Southwest it was around 1K for first class, and google flights gives an average price of 500 or so for coach. Is this a generally correct fare estimate?

Airports in LA include LAX, SNA, BUR, LGB, and ONT. Fares out of PHF or ORF are going to be a bit higher than one might expect given that they're not major hubs and thus have limited lift (low supply, high demand, higher fares). Best I see is United for $514, ORF-LAX on June 29-July4 with a plane change in ORD both ways. An F fare is about twice that roughly $1100 for the same flights. Southwest does not have an F cabin so not sure where you're seeing that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

Airports in LA include LAX, SNA, BUR, LGB, and ONT. Fares out of PHF or ORF are going to be a bit higher than one might expect given that they're not major hubs and thus have limited lift (low supply, high demand, higher fares)

Know the area you want to be in. Flying into SNA when you want to be in LAX or flying into BUR when you want to be at Disneyland will make you hate this place. Getting between airports will likely erase all savings so just fly into the area you want to be.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Know the area you want to be in. Flying into SNA when you want to be in LAX or flying into BUR when you want to be at Disneyland will make you hate this place. Getting between airports will likely erase all savings so just fly into the area you want to be.

This is good advice. LA is not a small place.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I would like to figure out how to get a decent fare from Austin on May 28 to [insert vacation location here], then to Boston on June 9, then back to Austin on June 12. The dates don't really have any flexibility. Sample searches returned prices along the lines of "lol, gently caress off". Am I better off just getting separate round trips from Austin to [location] and Boston?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Try an open-jaw plus a one-way. Not every airline's search supports open jaws (I used Expedia instead, but that has some risks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I recently went through Houston's airport security on a return trip. First (second I guess) time flying in 5 years. A lady standing next to a podium whose' monitor flashed an arrow pointing toward another roped pathway diverted me and a bunch of people behind me from the rest of the line. I assumed it was to start a new line or something. Turns out it was to TSA precheck line or something. The body scan device was occupied by a TSA person just blocking it off. I didn't have to take anything out of my bags or take off my shoes. Just went through the metal detector while they scanned my belongings. The thing is, I don't recall ever signing up for this thing. Apparently an interview and a fee are involved and I have done neither. Can someone explain what happened? Not complaining -- it was fast and easy. Just curious. The people behind me didn't understand it either. Meanwhile the person I was traveling with and diverted from went through normal security.