Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Twitter martyrdom is heavy as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

If you have any doubts about the Anselmo thing being blown out of proportion, here's one of the editors of Noisey talking about how she wasn't sure whether to talk about this... it might hurt her career:
https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/693164754664316928

Keep in mind that this is a freelancer for Rolling Stone, a magazine that has written really serious pieces about important topics (like Michael Hasting's investigation of the military in Aghanistan). But, now... TALKING ABOUT PHIL MIGHT BE CAREER SUICIDE.

gently caress these people, it's ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/693164233031303169
https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/693165736756396032

And that's the real story here. Not picking on her in particular but she basically explained why music journalism is nothing more than PR. And it's by no means limited to music; pretty much any form of journalism which covers a particular industry has the same problem.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I don't really get the impulse to assume that everyone who makes public statements about how racism or misogyny or sig heiling is not cool is just out for attention. Like yeah, I'm sure that happens but also maybe people are just legitimately upset when they find out people they like or admire have regressive social views? Even if they have partially selfish motivations, it still seems weird to be more upset about than, you know, actual nazi poo poo.

"Yeah that guy is a white supremacist, but what really grinds my gears is liberals on twitter." :rolleyes:

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 31, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

The White Wine Mafia
guys, this wine got an 88% on Wine Spectator

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Vulture Culture posted:

guys, this wine got an 88% on Wine Spectator

wink wink

I listened to most of the first disc of the new Dream Theater album on my lunch break. The only song that stuck out for me was Lord Naferyus (lol) because it sounded like a literal Disney villain's song. Everything just sort of has the same 'piano/strings - narration over clean riffs - chugga chugga - solo - string outro' structure, to the point where all the songs are basically interchangable. And that page explaining the songs is just unforgivably bad. It reads like the summary of a dystopian YA novel written by a 12-year old.

DT has somehow become the most embarrassing band I liked when I was a teenager, even with Anselmo being a literal Nazi

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Hulk Krogan posted:

I don't really get the impulse to assume that everyone who makes public statements about how racism or misogyny or sig heiling is not cool is just out for attention. Like yeah, I'm sure that happens but also maybe people are just legitimately upset when they find out people they like or admire have regressive social views? Even if they have partially selfish motivations, it still seems weird to be more upset about than, you know, actual nazi poo poo.

"Yeah that guy is a white supremacist, but what really grinds my gears is liberals on twitter." :rolleyes:

Some of it is "SJW LIBRULS :argh:" but some of it is also the fact that Phil being a racist is an open secret in metal but suddenly they start bitching about it once it happens on camera, and it's not even the first time on camera. Someone posted an interview where the thumbnail is Phil wearing a neo-nazi shirt for gently caress's sake.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah, the way we handle racism in this country is weird. You can be racist as gently caress for years and years and no one cares, you just can't be openly racist. Like that rich fucker who lost his basketball team: he was racist as hell when it came to his tenants in the apartment complexes he owned, his hiring decisions, the way he treated players, etc. No one didn't know that guy was a racist. But nobody cared - what got him in trouble was saying racist things out loud when being recorded.

This isn't really a discussion for the metal thread though.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

a retard posted:

[...] some of it is also the fact that Phil being a racist is an open secret in metal but suddenly they start bitching about it once it happens on camera, and it's not even the first time on camera.

I'm sure that's true, but if it's genuine, seems a little bit short sighted. Metal is an enormous subculture, and I think you could be forgiven for not keeping track even as a journalist. I'm not sure how much of that I think is just "ugh don't talk about the open secret" backlash though

Popular Human posted:

Yeah, the way we handle racism in this country is weird. You can be racist as gently caress for years and years and no one cares, you just can't be openly racist.

This is also the truest loving thing.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 31, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

a retard posted:

Some of it is "SJW LIBRULS :argh:" but some of it is also the fact that Phil being a racist is an open secret in metal but suddenly they start bitching about it once it happens on camera, and it's not even the first time on camera. Someone posted an interview where the thumbnail is Phil wearing a neo-nazi shirt for gently caress's sake.

If you're talking about the one with the 777 triskelion it's an Afrikaner Resistance Movement logo, which is a way deeper cut as far as white pride worldwide goes. If anything Phil knows his stuff when it comes to white pride worldwide.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

comes along bort posted:

If you're talking about the one with the 777 triskelion it's an Afrikaner Resistance Movement logo, which is a way deeper cut as far as white pride worldwide goes. If anything Phil knows his stuff when it comes to white pride worldwide.

Like, there's your garden-variety white power dork and then there's your dudes who are super into South Africa and Rhodesia.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Phil's case isn't like those of a bunch of Brazilian bands in the 80s purposely adorning themselves in swastikas and other third Reich apparel just to shock it's listeners (Sepultura, Holocausto, etc) and viewers. He has been doing this poo poo for decades, and how any of this is a surprise to anyone with half a brain is amazing to me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's not so much that but all these people acting as if calling out a fat washed up junkie is somehow going to ruin their careers. Is Housecore really that big a business?

Phil's bands play dive bars. He's not the wizard behind the curtain of the entire music industry.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Phil also has a lot of connections within the metal world due to both his past work and his production stuff. If you're a metal-specific journalist ripping him could piss off a lot of bands.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Phil also has a lot of connections within the metal world due to both his past work and his production stuff. If you're a metal-specific journalist ripping him could piss off a lot of bands.

Yeah, dude has a lot of friends in the metal community and ties with a bunch of different labels, most of whom would probably side with him over some random journalist. If someone was writing about this and didn't have a video to back it up, I have no doubt their career the metal industry would be toast.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

are you guys really throwing around the phrase "career in the metal industry"

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

A human heart posted:

are you guys really throwing around the phrase "career in the metal industry"

yeah? *shrug*

I don't think anyone writing for Blabbermouth or MetalSucks is really breaking the bank, but what else are you going to call it

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

comes along bort posted:

https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/693164233031303169
https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/693165736756396032

And that's the real story here. Not picking on her in particular but she basically explained why music journalism is nothing more than PR. And it's by no means limited to music; pretty much any form of journalism which covers a particular industry has the same problem.

But she's bringing up a non-isssue there. I agree that music journalism tends to be just PR, but if EVERYBODY else managed to write about it, it's kind of ridiculous to see the editor for one of the largest publications in the world make herself the story and argue that she could jeopardize her career. This isn't a blogger.

As for the people bringing up that bizarre SJW LIBRULS strawmen...wtf? Who said anything about that?

What Phil Anselmo did was definitely not OK, and everybody covered it accordingly. The bizarre thing is to see the same people who covered it then pretending that nobody else wrote it.

EDIT: I know it's only music "journalism," but what kind of lovely journalist are you that you actually tell people that you didn't write about it not to jeopardize your career?

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 31, 2016

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Popular Human posted:

Yeah, dude has a lot of friends in the metal community and ties with a bunch of different labels, most of whom would probably side with him over some random journalist. If someone was writing about this and didn't have a video to back it up, I have no doubt their career the metal industry would be toast.

The problem is that he has been doing it long before video evidence even surfaced. There are tons of first-and-second handed accounts of him portraying his racial allegiances in the past during multiple live performances across the world. If it were only one or two people saying those things, then, yeah, I'd meet it with skepticism, too, but there are dozens of stories like this. It is only now that we have audio and video proof at our fingertips, and for any "journalist" to say that they fear for their career if they spoke out about it is completely absurd, and frankly should not be a "journalist" in the first place if they are unable to refrain from such measly conflicts of interest. It's just one seeking martyrdom and praise for their silence, plain and simple.

Edit: this isn't House of Cards where you're close to finding out the truth and then being pushed in front of a subway car. There is literally nothing of value for Kim Kelly to lose by saying, "hey, Phil, why are you a racist shitbag"? loving hell, she even interviewed one of the dudes from Bolzer and he has swastikas tattooed on him (not in the way the Nazis used them, though) and she asked him about it, so why be so afraid of the backlash from asking that washed up hillbilly the same question?

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 31, 2016

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

A TURGID FATSO posted:

The problem is that he has been doing it long before video evidence even surfaced. There are tons of first-and-second handed accounts of him portraying his racial allegiances in the past during multiple live performances across the world. If it were only one or two people saying those things, then, yeah, I'd meet it with skepticism, too, but there are dozens of stories like this. It is only now that we have audio and video proof at our fingertips, and for any "journalist" to say that they fear for their career if they spoke out about it is completely absurd, and frankly should not be a "journalist" in the first place if they are unable to refrain from such measly conflicts of interest. It's just one seeking martyrdom and praise for their silence, plain and simple.

Even I knew Anselmo had done a couple of White Pride "speeches", and I'm not even a Pantera fan.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Whoops, posted twice.

Here's a video expressing my thoughts on the matter:

https://youtu.be/uGR6H3fSm8I

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 31, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Whoops, posted twice.

Here's a video expressing my thoughts on the matter:

https://youtu.be/uGR6H3fSm8I
Here's a video expressing what this thread is making you right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGOT4d2Hs8

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

A TURGID FATSO posted:

There are tons of first-and-second handed accounts of him portraying his racial allegiances in the past during multiple live performances across the world. If it were only one or two people saying those things, then, yeah, I'd meet it with skepticism, too, but there are dozens of stories like this. It is only now that we have audio and video proof at our fingertips...

This is kind of what I was saying, though. Nobody gave a poo poo that Anselmo was racist until he was caught on camera being racist.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I knew he said some racial poo poo in the mid 90's but I attributed it to him being an early 20's high school dropout idiot and hoped he learned better as he got older.

We all do and say stupid poo poo when we are young. For instance, I once thought Iced Earth was a good band and bought several of their albums.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Chromatic posted:

We all do and say stupid poo poo when we are young. For instance, I once thought Iced Earth was a good band and bought several of their albums.

You're not the only one :negative:

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I never put too much stock into what he said though because when I was into Pantera we didn't have YouTube yet and there was waaaaay less scrutiny and circulation of poo poo someone said on stage or whatever. I remember hearing when he said rap music glorifies killing white people or some such, but the way I see it, you play hundreds of shows a year, you're being paid to entertain, you're drunk and high every night, it's reasonable to assume that some stupid poo poo's gonna come out at some point. And that's even before the media runs with it and potentially inflates/distorts it etc. I just didn't put a ton of stock into a handful of half-quotes or whatever over a decade. Maybe I should have. So as far as somebody's not racist until they're recorded being racist, thats true, but it's also that the possibility of it being twisted around by biased accounts was too high for me to put faith in any of it until actual evidence like this surfaced.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Chromatic posted:

I am still stupid and young. For instance, I bought Black Veil Brides' self-titled album last year. I mean, I like it, but will I like it in 5 years?

Probably not, no. :sigh:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I listened to Killswitch Engage. #metalconfessions

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Popular Human posted:

I still listen to and enjoy Killswitch on occasion.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Popular Human posted:

This is kind of what I was saying, though. Nobody gave a poo poo that Anselmo was racist until he was caught on camera being racist.

"Nobody made a big deal about it until there was solid irrefutable proof that didn't require taking someone else's word or being there in person."

Like, I don't see the problem here. Now there's proof to solidly prove what everyone strongly suspected, so now people are writing about it. :shrug:

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

Popular Human posted:

I really liked their last album.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Popular Human posted:

Also Soilwork

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
soilwork's latest album is pretty good and i generally don't like generic melodeath

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Confession: I have always had impeccable taste and always will. :smug:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Soilwork has only had one or two bad albums in the last 10 years or so.

They rule.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Cemetery Gates is about someone going "dude you're a huge racist" to Phil

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Think I found Phil's problem you guys

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Non Serviam posted:

What bands did you guys discover based exclusively on the logo/cover art?

For me it was Iron Maiden.

Gutted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fc2Y6BTtFo

it wasn't this album, it was their S/T EP, but had this song (alternate recording) on it.

Gutted owns.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Gutted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fc2Y6BTtFo

it wasn't this album, it was their S/T EP, but had this song (alternate recording) on it.

Gutted owns.

This is a good post.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the shop by my house had a ton of their EPs in the bargain bin and i thought the cover looked cool and i bought it for $5.

a few years back (before they reissued it) it was going for sale on amazon for $50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Confession: I unironically enjoy Five Finger Death Punch, who are basically Pantera except they're poppier and their singer is not a racist.