Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have a burning desire to replay BL2.

Do people still actively play this or have they moved on to the pre-sequel? How does the pre-sequel compare to 2 in terms of gameplay, humor, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
- Same basic gameplay. The new guns generally feel good, except for the laser shotguns.
- Story is way darker than BL2, and the game generally takes itself a little more seriously. Everyone is gay.
- Humor is ok, a little darker. There's some great easter eggs.
- IMO the best part of TPS is the characters. I think they're the best designed ones in the series, and they do a good job of making you feel powerful. (The actual character personalities are OK too I guess.)
- I lied, the actual best part is BUTT SLAMS.
- There are like two big, heavily-populated fights. Considering this is where BL2 excelled, it's a little disappointing.

I have ~370 hours in BL2 with multiples of each class, including an OP level 2 Zer0. On the other hand, I have 77 hours in TPS, with maybe a handful of characters, none of which are in UVHM. That might tell you something.

You know that feeling in a game when you pick up a new skill and you're like, "Man, this sounds awesome!" But then you start using it and it's pretty meh, nothing really inspiring, and you're kind of let down because it feels like the game designers are preventing you from feeling too powerful? TPS completely avoids that. You feel powerful -- overpowered, even -- and it's a good thing. (Never so overpowered that the game is trivial, by the way. It can still be challenging!)

I honestly don't know if people still play either one, though there's a been an uptick thanks to the recent sales.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Wanted to get some DLC the other day while it was on sale, but for whatever reason Steam's purchase for myself button wasn't working. Now i can't even get the Steam Store to launch.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The good of the pre sequel

-It's fun
-Guns are mostly better to use
-Claptrap
-Cryo is a much better gimmick than slag, gently caress slag

The bads of the pre sequel

-it's short
-janey springs
-it reaaaaaaaaally makes you hate some of the existing characters that AREN'T handsome jack
-janey springs is a lesbian and she will remind you every few seconds you are around her (also she's a lesbian) and she has no defining traits

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
janey springs enjoys writing children's stories, making inspirational posters, and hates kraggons

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Wow, you really loving hate lesbians!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

watho posted:

The writing is pretty loving one dimensional and worthy of ridicule.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

watho posted:

She hits on every female character she interacts with at least one time, be it through direct conversation or talking about them in an ECHO log (see: the one in her office about Moxxie), and her writing is like if someone tried making a character entirely based around the aspects "mechanic" and "lesbian"

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 31, 2016

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

BillmasterCozb posted:

She hits on every female character she interacts with at least one time, be it through direct conversation or talking about them in an ECHO log (see: the one in her office about Moxxie)

you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also pretty much every side character in Borderlands is a one dimensional stereotype that reminds you of their one major personality trait every time they talk to you (Moxxi is sexy, Scooter is an idiot, Zed is a terrible doctor, Marcus tries to sell everything, Tannis is crazy, Hammerlock is British, Brick is violent, Lilith is a tomboy, Roland is a soldier, Mordecai is a drunk, Tina is... I don't actually know) so deciding that someone being a flirt who happens to be a lesbian (as opposed to Moxxi, for example) as something to mention in a "These are the terrible things about TPS" list could be considered a bit weird.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ironically, they put Janey Springs in Tales from the Borderlands and had the perfect chance to elaborate on her character and what they did to do that was hook her up with Athena and that's it.

edit: Janey Springs being one-dimensional is just a subset of the "the writing in pre-sequel is not good" complaint, though, really. I rolled my eyes at Pre-Sequel more than I laughed at it but still has some good jokes here and there.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 31, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Pre-Sequel has some really clever and funny writing in its side quests but the main storyline is mainly really bad.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Borderlands 2 so far but there is just too much loot. I hope in the future they don't make it this crazy. I think there's more excitement when you see a gun drop every 30 bad guys instead of every 3. :shrug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kibayasu posted:

Also pretty much every side character in Borderlands is a one dimensional stereotype that reminds you of their one major personality trait every time they talk to you (Moxxi is sexy, Scooter is an idiot, Zed is a terrible doctor, Marcus tries to sell everything, Tannis is crazy, Hammerlock is British, Brick is violent, Lilith is a tomboy, Roland is a soldier, Mordecai is a drunk, Tina is... I don't actually know) so deciding that someone being a flirt who happens to be a lesbian (as opposed to Moxxi, for example) as something to mention in a "These are the terrible things about TPS" list could be considered a bit weird.

You forgot MR TORGUE, WHO LIKES EXPLOSIONS! MEEDLY MEEDLY MEEDLY MREEEEEOW!! EXPLOSIONS ARE $*%#IN' BADASS! YYYYEEEEAH!!

Torgue rules

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Mister Torgue is the best character in the whole series, and I'm surprised that he wasn't a DLC character.

Maybe there's hope for that in Borderworlds or whatever they're gonna call the next one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Abu Dave posted:

I like Borderlands 2 so far but there is just too much loot. I hope in the future they don't make it this crazy. I think there's more excitement when you see a gun drop every 30 bad guys instead of every 3. :shrug:

"Less, but higher quality" is definitely better than the series' motto of "More, but it's 99% trash you will just sell", for sure.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

You forgot MR TORGUE, WHO LIKES EXPLOSIONS! MEEDLY MEEDLY MEEDLY MREEEEEOW!! EXPLOSIONS ARE $*%#IN' BADASS! YYYYEEEEAH!!

Torgue rules

But at least he got his own DLC campaign, which does a lot to expand his characters and it is awesome. :torgue:
(And there's also the Thanksgiving Head Hunter DLC.)

CJacobs posted:

"Less, but higher quality" is definitely better than the series' motto of "More, but it's 99% trash you will just sell", for sure.

I doubt they would ever do this, since they marketed the game with LOOTSPLOSIONS!!!!
By UVHM I don't think I looked at loot at all, since I had my backpack full of weapons I really liked.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
My main 'problems' with the Pre-Sequel were:

- Lack of map/environment variety. Probably 60-70% of the areas are some variation of blue/grey moon surface area. The rest are crashed ships or space station interiors.
- Lots of built-in backtracking. Quests will regularly have you go to one end of the zone, then back to the other, off to a third location, then back to the original one before turning it in. Although I don't remember any of them being as obnoxious as the Firehawk chain in BL2
- The enemy spawning system. I assume this is because the game has to also run on consoles, but you will almost never be fighting more than 4 or 5 guys at once. Instead the game will spawn 5, and as you kill them spawn more in to replace them until you've churned through however many are set for that area/encounter.
- Might be a small thing, but the music is nowhere near as good as BL2's IMO

I think I'm in the minority in that I generally found the writing and humor to be decent-to-good. With the possible exception of Pickle, although even him I could deal with since he gives you the Boganella, the best drat gun in the game.

Good things about the Pre-Sequel:

- Character skills trees are a lot more unique and fleshed out. Everybody seems to have at least 2-3 distinctly different ways to play depending on how you distribute your points, and are just more coherently designed in general.
- PCs now interact/talk with NPCs/quest givers. It sounds like a small thing but it is pretty awesome in practice.
- The new laser guns are pretty rad. Cryo element is awesome and always useful, much better than slag was.
- Moon jumps and butt slams are fun as hell and open up map design to more verticality (although this can go either way I guess, there was one sequence near the end of the game where the whole level was giving me vertigo, but I don't do well with heights)
- The loot drop/quality rate felt better than BL2 to me. You'd start finding blues and greens at like level 6, purples were more common, legendaries actually dropped (and could spawn in vendors)
- I didn't fiddle much with the Grinder, but a way to take bunches of lovely guns and mash them together to make better guns sounds really drat useful
- Moonstones drop a fuckton more often than eridium did, which is probably because there are more things to spend them on, but it means that if you hoarded them for black market upgrades you could buy backpack space real fast

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'd just like to start over with BL2 and find a couple people to group up with for a fresh run from the start. I have a couple goon friends who I play co-op with regularly, but they don't like Borderlands for whatever reasons, so I cannot bribe them into playing with me. Kinda wish I could find some people who are new to the game but seems like most people already played it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

khy posted:

I'd just like to start over with BL2 and find a couple people to group up with for a fresh run from the start. I have a couple goon friends who I play co-op with regularly, but they don't like Borderlands for whatever reasons, so I cannot bribe them into playing with me. Kinda wish I could find some people who are new to the game but seems like most people already played it.

I would like to play through with a full group, I have all characters and DLC except the newest one. Add me on Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/booshi/

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

WarLocke posted:

- PCs now interact/talk with NPCs/quest givers. It sounds like a small thing but it is pretty awesome in practice.
Hugely disagree. This is oneo f those things in my opinion that sounded a lot better than it was. Yes, the characters piped back at quest givers, but due to the fact that the writers couldn't count on any of these lines ever being heard, they're all the most trivial and frivolous bullshit. Athena really likes her mission and is dour. Nisha really likes BDSM. Wilhelm really likes cybernetics. And most people find claptrap annoying, too, it's not just the players.

Well thanks very much for those great and powerful insights to the characters, I totally couldn't have learned this by listening to the ECHO logs that come with them standard.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Coolguye posted:

Well thanks very much for those great and powerful insights to the characters, I totally couldn't have learned this by listening to the ECHO logs that come with them standard.

"DECEPTION.EXE SUCCESSFUL :ninja:"

Also, I always thought the 'legendaries spawning in vendors' thing was a change for TPS, but then this happened earlier today:

That 'nade is pretty awesome too, one toss pretty much clears a room since it spawn half a dozen child homing corrosive grenade things. I can see myself handing this down to other new characters alot.

And then there's this bullshit:

(Pic taken in TPS where a bunch of challenges give reduced badass ranks for some reason, but the numbers are the same in BL2)

I am trying to get this one done in normal mode since apparently ARs suck rear end at higher difficulties. :emo:

e: Question about eiridium management/spending in BL2 - my first impulse is to only use it on backpack space (and maybe bank space if I really need it) until capped, but it drops so rarely compared to moonstones in TPS I'm just dreading having to save up 100/150/200 for the last few upgrades. Is there a trick to finding more or is it just luck/opening every random container and hoping, and just deal with basic ammo capacity until then?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 31, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Is there a trick to finding more or is it just luck/opening every random container and hoping, and just deal with basic ammo capacity until then?

AFAIR farm bosses. certain bosses, especially in the D&D DLC, drop eridium a lot more than other bosses.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

khy posted:

AFAIR farm bosses. certain bosses, especially in the D&D DLC, drop eridium a lot more than other bosses.

Ah, okay, I'll just tough it out through normal mode and see what happens with the DLC after, then.

Also, I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but is 'Fink's Slaughterdome' in The Fridge some sort of DLC content? It feels disconnected, you just pass by it during the storyline, you're never sent there, when you go in there's one dude with no dialogue except quest popups, and during my Gaige run I did them when I first got there when I was level 18 or 19 and finished at level 22 or so, and I felt overleveled for the stuff afterwards.

e: I was poking around in the Axton forums on the Gearbox site and I saw mention that the Laser Sight ability actually makes the turret LESS accurate? WTF is up with that?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 31, 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

WarLocke posted:

e: Question about eiridium management/spending in BL2 - my first impulse is to only use it on backpack space (and maybe bank space if I really need it) until capped, but it drops so rarely compared to moonstones in TPS I'm just dreading having to save up 100/150/200 for the last few upgrades. Is there a trick to finding more or is it just luck/opening every random container and hoping, and just deal with basic ammo capacity until then?

If you don't mind cheating, the gibbed save editor makes maxing out your eridium trivial.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of Gibbed, I used it to start a new character on Playthrough 2, but my 3rd and 4th weapon slots are locked. Will they unlock again in the game or can I open them with Gibbed?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

WarLocke posted:

And then there's this bullshit:

(Pic taken in TPS where a bunch of challenges give reduced badass ranks for some reason, but the numbers are the same in BL2)

Holy poo poo they brought this garbage back. A lot of challenges are already grindy as hell but this is straight-up contempt towards the player. IIRC the BL2 version has a skin locked behind the final tier, is it the same for TPS too?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Khizan posted:

If you don't mind cheating, the gibbed save editor makes maxing out your eridium trivial.

I have this weird thing where if I let myself start cheating the back of my brain will nag me constantly about it. I tossed (backed up to outside folder) a level 27, 2700+ BAR Gaige save/profile because of it. I know it's weird as hell, but it happens to me with every loving game, so I've learned to just accept that I can't bring myself to mod/cheat.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

WarLocke posted:

I have this weird thing where if I let myself start cheating the back of my brain will nag me constantly about it. I tossed (backed up to outside folder) a level 27, 2700+ BAR Gaige save/profile because of it. I know it's weird as hell, but it happens to me with every loving game, so I've learned to just accept that I can't bring myself to mod/cheat.

Cheat later, when you don't want to farm guns a million times in UVHM just to have ones that are at your level.

WarLocke posted:

Ah, okay, I'll just tough it out through normal mode and see what happens with the DLC after, then.

Also, I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but is 'Fink's Slaughterdome' in The Fridge some sort of DLC content? It feels disconnected, you just pass by it during the storyline, you're never sent there, when you go in there's one dude with no dialogue except quest popups, and during my Gaige run I did them when I first got there when I was level 18 or 19 and finished at level 22 or so, and I felt overleveled for the stuff afterwards.

e: I was poking around in the Axton forums on the Gearbox site and I saw mention that the Laser Sight ability actually makes the turret LESS accurate? WTF is up with that?

No, Fink's Slaughterdome is just a side area. Yes, it's stupid and pointless. It can be kind of fun in a "I just want to fight EVERYTHING" kind of way.

Gearbox is really bad at some things, especially minor details like character skills not working right. There's been poo poo like that since BL1, like Bloodwing only attacking enemies you're looking at, and they'll never patch it for some reason.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

The writing is pretty loving one dimensional and worthy of ridicule.

I'm sorry, have I stepped into an alternate dimension where BL writing is good/not meant to be jokey as hell?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Vanrushal posted:

Holy poo poo they brought this garbage back. A lot of challenges are already grindy as hell but this is straight-up contempt towards the player. IIRC the BL2 version has a skin locked behind the final tier, is it the same for TPS too?

I don't know, I never got it to rank 4 :v:

Oh BTW, TPS has a new 'general combat' challenge to kill dudes while airborne. Can be done with any weapon but it's ridiculously stupid numbers, I think 1200 for rank 3? So if you want it you basically have to be jumping around constantly forever.

OTOH one of the O2 kit types (the relic replacements) increase accuracy and IIRC add crit damage while airborne so there's that...

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Claptrap is my favorite for those ones because he doesn't breathe, which means that his oxygen meter is basically just his boost bar.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm sorry, have I stepped into an alternate dimension where BL writing is good/not meant to be jokey as hell?

No, but the whole of TPS is a significant step down from the first two. At first I thought maybe I was just worn on that style after playing the first two, but then it just kept getting worse and worse.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

WarLocke posted:

I don't know, I never got it to rank 4 :v:

Oh BTW, TPS has a new 'general combat' challenge to kill dudes while airborne. Can be done with any weapon but it's ridiculously stupid numbers, I think 1200 for rank 3? So if you want it you basically have to be jumping around constantly forever.

OTOH one of the O2 kit types (the relic replacements) increase accuracy and IIRC add crit damage while airborne so there's that...

Yeah the numbers are dumb but at least jumping around is a thing you'll be doing a lot of in combat already with the low-grav, or just using Athena's melee dash attack (idk if the other characters have something comparable). I don't think anybody in their right mind is going to try to kill anything while crouching with an AR if they weren't aware there was a challenge for it, on top of the ludicrous amount of things you need to kill.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Khizan posted:

Claptrap is my favorite for those ones because he doesn't breathe, which means that his oxygen meter is basically just his boost bar.

Claptrap has a legit awesome skill tree in TPS, he can be made tanky as gently caress and/or get ridiculous damage output (and very possibly both at once once you have 50-60 skill points).

But still gently caress all that jumping.

Also why do TPS characters get to keep/bank their starting audio logs but when I started an Axton game in BL2 his echo poofed when I used it? :argh:

Vanrushal posted:

Yeah the numbers are dumb but at least jumping around is a thing you'll be doing a lot of in combat already with the low-grav, or just using Athena's melee dash attack (idk if the other characters have something comparable). I don't think anybody in their right mind is going to try to kill anything while crouching with an AR if they weren't aware there was a challenge for it, on top of the ludicrous amount of things you need to kill.

Oh this reminds me, one thing that changed going in to TPS is that if you take any sort of damage that 'moves' you (grenade explosion, melee lunge stuff) you get toggled out of crouch!

Have fun killing that room of rock skag things and then realizing that none of them counted for the challenge! :v:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 31, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're playing by yourself is Claptrap or Jack better to play as in TPS?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Seems like those challenges are meant to keep unlocks going for people who will play hundreds of hours anyway, so you'll spend enough time with an AR or enough time jumping around that you'll eventually kill 10,000 dudes just because that's what happens when you've played 2000 hours of a game. You're trying to grind for things that aren't meant to be ground for.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I do this a bit in COH 2. "Kill 100 vehicles with B4 howitzers." A howitzer will really only kill a vehicle accidentally, the B4 is not a very good howitzer, and in most games you can only build it if certain mods are being used. I got it the other day.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MooCowlian posted:

Seems like those challenges are meant to keep unlocks going for people who will play hundreds of hours anyway, so you'll spend enough time with an AR or enough time jumping around that you'll eventually kill 10,000 dudes just because that's what happens when you've played 2000 hours of a game. You're trying to grind for things that aren't meant to be ground for.

If you're killing dudes anyway, may as well kill them while bouncing around (or crouching, if using an AR). Not doing that is just leaving badass ranks on the table. It's not grinding, it's 'efficiancy' (or possibly a broken brain :negative:)

Abu Dave posted:

If you're playing by yourself is Claptrap or Jack better to play as in TPS?

Claptrap has a bunch of free explosive abilities in one tree, a tree that has a ton of group utility/self-health-regen/tankiness, and a tree that offers ridiculous DPS options at the 'cost' that you have to switch out weapons fairly often (the damage bonus come as weapon subroutines that cycle randomly).

Jack has a tree that's all about hordes of digi-copies crawling out of his rear end, I forget what his middle tree does, and the right tree has a bunch of weird (IMO) capitalism type stuff in it (swap weapons, get a buff based on the brand of last weapon equipped, damage buff for how many Hyperion guns you have equipped, etc).

All of the TPS characters play really differently, it'll come down to what clicks for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jack is a bit of a slow burn until you get his middle capstone. Suddenly all your kill skills trigger off a digi-Jack dying which will happen constantly, because they way they work is they're rooted in place and if you wander too far away they will die and reappear beside you. So then you just constantly run around building up crazy amounts of stacks and kill skills and you're basically invincible.

• Locked thread