Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's incredibly loving cool to lose a match because lag won't let you attack in time.

e: lmao had a match where in the first turn it lagged so hard that it ate my minion, the only action I tried to take. I'm trying to concede and it won't let me

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Yeah the lag is unbearable right now. I barely made it through one game and decided it wasn't worth finishing my dailies.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

I mean my suggestion is don't try to reinvent the wheel by disenchanting entire factions and trying to innovate big abyssian, it's just not a gewd idea fellas

Follow Peppyr's guide, don't listen to Ryan

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Urthor posted:

I mean my suggestion is don't try to reinvent the wheel by disenchanting entire factions and trying to innovate big abyssian, it's just not a gewd idea fellas

Follow Peppyr's guide, don't listen to Ryan

yeah i recommended not following it before but he has done a lot of revamping in the month since i checked it out and i agree with him on most everything now. peppyr is alright

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Dreamgazer doesn't go back in your deck

That card is now interesting to me

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm going to wait a day so all the Songhai decks break rank 5. Why is Mask of Shadows 2 mana? I've been putting a rust crawler into each deck as tech but I feel like I should have at least two or bust.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 1, 2016

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

koolkal posted:

Dreamgazer doesn't go back in your deck

That card is now interesting to me

Whoa yeah definitely experimenting with this guy

Once I open it from the one pack I get every few days

E: well I got one from season rewards, that's a start

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 1, 2016

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Dreamgazer's def not as good as I made it out to be lol, I'll take my hits. Basically it kinda boils down to it's only good in the deck that's on the winning side of the inevitability equation, ie the deck that's going face and not the deck that's stalling for time.

Only trouble is not every deck is on the right side of this equation every time. Even tempo Vanar is playing inevitability vs Songhai for example, building a creature snowball whilst Songhai is ending the game asap. Vanar is also one of the better cases, Magmar and Abyssian really don't have enough cards that effectively combo with Gazer to make it even consider worth running, and they're usually on the losing side of the inevitability equation (abyssian usually on the losing side, period)

It's maybe viable in Vanar, Razorfen is a nice card etc etc, and oddly Lyonar because having an extra 2/2 on the board t1 or t2 can make for some really crippling Holy Immolations that they can't play around.

The exception is of course Vetruvian, because being another creature to position to get 3rd wish off is just sensational.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
And probably all of those decks would rather abuse Keeper, which doesn't really want Dreamgazer in its house.

Having played with it a couple of times, my assessment remains "mediocre." The coolest thing I've seen someone do with it is use it to buff his Sworn Avenger early and trigger his Red Synja an extra time on the turn he played her later.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 1, 2016

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

How do you post images of your deck like they do on the Duelyst forums?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Just wanted to say I'm surprised by how much enjoyment I'm getting out of this game. Using a Abyssian spell heavy deck which is pretty fun though it's really luck dependent.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Stretch Marx posted:

Just wanted to say I'm surprised by how much enjoyment I'm getting out of this game. Using a Abyssian spell heavy deck which is pretty fun though it's really luck dependent.

Does it involve Manaforger and Rite of the Undervault? That poo poo is so much fun.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Is Astral Crusader any good? Got it as my season reward and it seems kinda sorta playable as a finish in a pauper list

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I'll tell you when a game actually runs long enough for me to draw him after Replacing him twice.

IE probably not, but there's little you can't get away with when you're getting started.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Astral Crusader is a cool idea, and decently strong, but with the current rush/burn meta too hard to get rolling. Games just don't last long enough to get him going properly.

There's a couple other high-cost legends that I'd rank above it. Pandora and Red Synja at a minimum, probably Zurael and the Spellbinder as well. However, AC is good enough IMO to keep instead of disenchant, and like you said he's probably a good pauper option.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

Bread Set Jettison posted:

How do you post images of your deck like they do on the Duelyst forums?

http://duelystdb.com/ has a squad builder which will make a cool image of your deck that you can post on forums.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

There's a couple other high-cost legends that I'd rank above it. Pandora and Red Synja at a minimum, probably Zurael and the Spellbinder as well. However, AC is good enough IMO to keep instead of disenchant, and like you said he's probably a good pauper option.
Thx. I actually just now got Pandora as a reward for doing lots of quests(actually the last reward I still had open besides collector), and she seems better if you can get her to stick. Which is the problem of any high cost drop tbh. I have other things that can punch face to finish so board annoyance seems like a better option in the grand scheme of things

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Heres my current deck list

I'm obviously new so this is just me playing with the pauper Dervish deck plus adding random stuff from packs. It for some reason either blows people up quite quickly or just never gets its footing. I don't know what I should be building towards, but I know that the 2/1 blast guys have been underperforming because everyone plays 3x Jax.

E: also Oops that is supposed to be scion's first wish not scion's second wish.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Thx. I actually just now got Pandora as a reward for doing lots of quests(actually the last reward I still had open besides collector), and she seems better if you can get her to stick. Which is the problem of any high cost drop tbh. I have other things that can punch face to finish so board annoyance seems like a better option in the grand scheme of things

Pandora is actually better than a lot of other high drops (AC included) in this respect because at the very least, she generates a wolf before it's possible to kill her. She also generates ongoing value without having to be anywhere near your opponent's stuff and her 10 health is difficult to burn down quickly, which makes her a nightmare for anyone without hard spell removal (Martyrdom, Dark Transformation, etc.).

The meta is fast enough to make 7-drops in general unappealing, but she's easily one of the more justifiable ones.

Against anyone but Magmar anyways.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Lmao, to continue the fitlhy legendary spree this game has decided to set me on, I now got Elyx Stormblade from an orb. Good thing that I'm running Lyonar! A 7/7 provoke with utillity for 6 can't be bad right?

Also for kicks, here's my legendary count on day 5 of playing F2P

2x Dark Nemesis(dusted)
1x Rook (dusted)
1x Gravity Well (dusted)
1x Aspect of the Mountains
1x Decimate
1x Elyx Stormblade
1x Oserix
1x Soul Grimwar
1x Twin Fang
1x Metamorphosis
1x Sarlac the Eternal
1x Astral Crusader
1x Pandora

This game is allright with me! Probably gonna throw out some bucks in the long run, but their F2P model seems hella generous so far. Though, I guess if you take into account that you can run 3 copies of a legend(and probably need to with stuff like Keeper) the droprate makes a bit more sense.

Avasculous posted:

The meta is fast enough to make 7-drops in general unappealing, but she's easily one of the more justifiable ones.
Thanks for the info. I'm still a rank 10 scrub so the meta is mysterious for me, but I did see that big drops need to have an impact to make them even worth playing. I guess what would allow me to run Pandora or Elyx is the fact that Lyonar already has answer demanding drops like Guardian in their normal line-up. Dunno, I'm not sure if either one is a big boost, but adding one of the two instead of a weak common can't hurt. Though I'm more drawn to Elyx since holding dudes down with provoke has been my winning strat

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 1, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Heres my current deck list

I'm obviously new so this is just me playing with the pauper Dervish deck plus adding random stuff from packs. It for some reason either blows people up quite quickly or just never gets its footing. I don't know what I should be building towards, but I know that the 2/1 blast guys have been underperforming because everyone plays 3x Jax.

E: also Oops that is supposed to be scion's first wish not scion's second wish.

I've only been playing a little bit but tinkering with Vetruvian I've discovered that obelisks are awful and in the rare instance they don't get dispelled or moved to a corner of the battlefield immediately, it'll just whacked for free, sometimes in the form of an Abyssian general summoning a fiend or a recoilless frenzy attack. I've gotten an actual useful dervish summoned like twice on my trudge to level 11 and I've had exactly one game where the enemy was able to get a useful dervish against me, for exactly one turn after he had already had a winning board state.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Control Volume posted:

I've only been playing a little bit but tinkering with Vetruvian I've discovered that obelisks are awful and in the rare instance they don't get dispelled or moved to a corner of the battlefield immediately, it'll just whacked for free, sometimes in the form of an Abyssian general summoning a fiend or a recoilless frenzy attack. I've gotten an actual useful dervish summoned like twice on my trudge to level 11 and I've had exactly one game where the enemy was able to get a useful dervish against me, for exactly one turn after he had already had a winning board state.

I have had mixed results but they've been more positive than negative for me. I usually just play hyper defensive with them and try and just use it for controlling my side of the board, and ignore the mana puddles. Though i have considered cutting 1-2 of each type because sometimes times it just gets dispelled or killed by that magmar spell.

Magmar just seems like a miserable match up for me 100% of the time.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Control Volume posted:

Being able to force out a dispel or removal is pretty useful, though - especially for Vetruvian, who has tons of fun toys you'd like to keep alive in the later turns. I have to consciously remind myself *not* to instantly waste a card on them more often than not.

That being said, there's a lot of competition for quality two drops, and the three-drop obelisks are both in an awkward cost slot and also have dubiously useful extra effects. The +1 health one is especially trash unless you go all-in on dervishes. I think obelisks don't get used because there are better value options, not because they're outright terrible. I've dicked around with the "dervish special", and if I had all the cards I want to add I think it could compete through gold, at least.

Edit: and yeah, Magmar can suck a fat one because it's by far my worst matchup against my beloved Lyonar. No one should have better value minions than me! It's just not right...

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
The +1 health obelysk is awful unless you go All In On Dervishes because your obelysk dervishes will not dies to a counterattack on a general. You will get bodyblocked by a mask on top of a whirling fart at the exact worst time.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm just mad that obelisks don't lose their structure property after being dispelled.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Urthor posted:

Dreamgazer's def not as good as I made it out to be lol, I'll take my hits.

Duelyst is a weird game in that it breaks from some conventions held sacrosanct in most other CCG games like healing is bad and card draw is a priority. I wouldn't sweat it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Holy poo poo Archon Spellbinder is a completely retarded card for its cost. 7/9 stats for six that also makes hostile spells a bit more janky?

I.... I need to get me one of those

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Yeah, it's the go-to card if you need something heavy in your list

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Control Volume posted:

I'm just mad that obelisks don't lose their structure property after being dispelled.

It wouldn't be a hearthstone derivative without bewildering secret rules.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Male Man posted:

It wouldn't be a hearthstone derivative without bewildering secret rules.

You want bewildering secret rules? Here's a couple I've found, asked about on their official forums, and immediately been told I'm an idiot for not realizing these completely obvious facets of the game:

The Vanar spell that turns a minion to 5/5, cannot attack generals? Well, if you dispel it, it doesn't change the 5/5, but DOES let that minion attack generals. So don't dispel that 5/5 Healing Mystic who's damaged to 5/2 in the hopes that it will die like EVERY OTHER loving BUFF IN THE GAME.

Some creatures are not "minions", but rather "tokens". Like, for instance, eggs - so things like Keeper of the Vale cannot bring them back, since they only work on "minions". So no, that awesome Zurael value play you set up will not give you a single damned creature on the board because they were actually egged by that Magmar rear end in a top hat first.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah I reported the "token" issue earlier in the beta and was told that was how it was intended, then sort of yelled at them for not making it more obvious.

Transformation is a little different, they dont really elaborate on transformation enough, but its changing a card to another card, so when you dispel it you are only dispelling the card text. An easy mistake to make but at least sort of intuitive. The token thing is just dumb imo.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Control Volume posted:

One of the top Vet players actually started playing obelisks this month, so I dunno.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

You want bewildering secret rules? Here's a couple I've found, asked about on their official forums, and immediately been told I'm an idiot for not realizing these completely obvious facets of the game:

The Vanar spell that turns a minion to 5/5, cannot attack generals? Well, if you dispel it, it doesn't change the 5/5, but DOES let that minion attack generals. So don't dispel that 5/5 Healing Mystic who's damaged to 5/2 in the hopes that it will die like EVERY OTHER loving BUFF IN THE GAME.

Some creatures are not "minions", but rather "tokens". Like, for instance, eggs - so things like Keeper of the Vale cannot bring them back, since they only work on "minions". So no, that awesome Zurael value play you set up will not give you a single damned creature on the board because they were actually egged by that Magmar rear end in a top hat first.

In fairness to the first one (although I made the same error in an early game), there is a logic to it. Unlike buffs, Mark of Solitude is not adding anything to the creature's baseline stats, it's changing the baseline stats into 5/5. A visual clue to this is that the Marked minion's stats are white, a buffed minion's raised stats are green. I think if the Marked creature even gets bounced from play (by Hailstone Prison), it will still be a 5/5, but I can't remember if I've seen this happen.

The second one I also complained about a few pages back and it's actually more bewildering than you described. "Tokens" do count as "minions" for the purpose of literally every effect in the game except Zurael. Tokens can be targeted by things that target minions and they get hit by AOE that hits minions. Zurael badly needs to say "non-token minions", but this change is months in the making for some reason.

A third one that's at least intuitive if not accurate to the card is Shadow Nova, which only counts your own Shadow Creep for damage (despite the card not specifying this).

Still, this game's bewildering secret rules have nothing on Infinity Wars, which is both significantly more complex than Duelyst or Hearthstone and has the added fun of cards being either obnoxiously vague ("I... hope this will work the way I want it to?"), not doing literally what their text says they do, or interacting completely differently from a very comparable effect for no intuitive reason.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

One of the top Vet players actually started playing obelisks this month, so I dunno.

Should also add a disclaimer that I was running a scraped together deck so I wasn't running the starter deck with such wonder cards as second wish and that lovely flying thing that draws a card (which is also going to be second wish) when it dies.

e: seriously that deck was worse than the Songhai's starter deck special of letting you move your overpriced ranged units anywhere on the battlefield.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 2, 2016

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My problem with the Vet Obs is I don't know where the gently caress to put them when im getting rushed down by big-poo poo Magmar or Aggro Abbyssian. They seem loving awful when you're on the run or playing from behind. When we're on equal footing or slightly ahead they totally help gain board control.

I have much less issue with Abbyssian because at least their rush minions die immediately. Magmar just pumps stuff and one shots all my things.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

BigLeafyTree posted:

Does it involve Manaforger and Rite of the Undervault? That poo poo is so much fun.

I do have manaforgers in the deck but it's not based around them. They're just there to make things easier. I call the deck Hunt for Purple October. I basically turn my general into a sub and launch torpedoes.

0x Lilthe Blightchaser
2x Grasp of Agony
3x Void Pulse
3x Daemonic Lure
3x Golem Metallurgist
3x Jaxi
2x Manaforger
2x Skyrock Golem
1x Soulshatter Pact
2x Spectral Blade
2x Bloodshard Golem
2x Cannon of Mechazor
3x Nightsorrow Assassin
3x Saberspine Tiger
3x Shadow Reflection
3x Dark Seed
1x Dark Transformation
1x Spectral Revenant

The various golems are simply there to help picket. Whenever I get a chance I lay down one of my rush creatures and buff it with either Soulshatter Pact or Shadow Reflection to cause sudden panic attacks. I then throw the artifacts on if I can help keep my general up while I continue to bomb their general with Void Pulse and Dark Seed. Grasp of Agony lets you basically turn one of their guys into an addition hit which again works well with Void Pulse to heal afterwards. Daemonic Lure is great for clearing a path for one of my rush creatures to get in. If the game gets to the point where Spectral Revenant becomes necessary then it's basically down to the wire. This deck rarely has minions left on the board because they all (minues the Manaforgers, Golem Metallurgists, and Cannons of Mechazor who stay back to help keep the hurt going) basically make bee lines straight for the opposing general and ignore their minions. Usually the only way I lose if I get boxed in and can't fire torpedoes off. Otherwise it's hilarious watching players prepare for wraithling spam only to never see one or dying with over 5 or 6 minions of their own on the field.

The only decks I have trouble with at the moment are Lyonar since Zeal makes them naturally want to bunch around their general. So that's why I might remove the Dark Transformation and throw in a Repulsor Beast to help break up their formations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Geez magmar vs burn abyssian matches are ridiculously short, either I murder them with super units or they just lay down 2 assassins and a ridiculous amount of spells and murder me, but the matches never get to turn 6.

Of course there was also the person who killed me on turn 4 (!) because he had exactly the cards needed to repeatedly murder my units, and killed me with 0 mana, 0 cards in hand, and just enough damage for lethal.

e: also bleh. This game really isn't really scratching the DoC itch. It's a shitload better than Hearthstone and a good game but it feels shallower overall. Maybe it's the lack of having to really think hard about positioning since AoE is so rare and conditional or the lack of absolutely bonkers deck archetypes or whatever. Watching a couple streams and looking at hands of apparently decent players, I'm making almost exactly the same plays in my head based on their hand knowing nothing about their deck, whereas with DoC people would set up insane combos that I wouldn't have a chance of seeing even with deck knowledge.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 2, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
This game seems cool and fun, and I just started playing it (I've done the basic tutorials and a couple ranked matches with basic decks). What're my options to get off the ground quickly? I see I should probably go do the rest of the tutorial challenges.

Also, are there any plans for this game to be ported to Android?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Tykero posted:

This game seems cool and fun, and I just started playing it (I've done the basic tutorials and a couple ranked matches with basic decks). What're my options to get off the ground quickly? I see I should probably go do the rest of the tutorial challenges.
I powered through all the challenges and played every faction to Lv11, which gave me enough rewards/cards to dust to build a pauper deck that ate the lower ladder ranks. Was at the end of the month though so the ranks were real soft. The climb is a bit tougher now at the season start but it still works
Anyway, this is the spot where you wanna look for cheapo ladder decks as I've been told

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Control Volume posted:

Geez magmar vs burn abyssian matches are ridiculously short, either I murder them with super units or they just lay down 2 assassins and a ridiculous amount of spells and murder me, but the matches never get to turn 6.

Of course there was also the person who killed me on turn 4 (!) because he had exactly the cards needed to repeatedly murder my units, and killed me with 0 mana, 0 cards in hand, and just enough damage for lethal.

e: also bleh. This game really isn't really scratching the DoC itch. It's a shitload better than Hearthstone and a good game but it feels shallower overall. Maybe it's the lack of having to really think hard about positioning since AoE is so rare and conditional or the lack of absolutely bonkers deck archetypes or whatever. Watching a couple streams and looking at hands of apparently decent players, I'm making almost exactly the same plays in my head based on their hand knowing nothing about their deck, whereas with DoC people would set up insane combos that I wouldn't have a chance of seeing even with deck knowledge.

Having played both, I think I prefer this honestly. I like the larger board and I like zones of control limiting movement.

• Locked thread