Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How often do you change your password?
Every week
Once a month
When my computer forgets
Karrot
View Results

• Locked thread
Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
"Experts" say you should change it once a week.

Nude fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

You're never supposed to change your password and you're supposed to use the same one for everything... ding dong.

edit: I was calling you a ding dong, not saying my password is ding dong. Although it is.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

every time i use it to authenticate. can't be too careful

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It depends on which prime number below 2081 was generated on the last change.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

never. passwords are dumb

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
All my passwords automatically change every 15 seconds.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
which password are you talking about my dude

not super often if the site supports multi factor authentication

i also use randomly generated long passwords

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
my calculator's password is 80085

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Nude posted:

experts are shitwads..

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Nude posted:

trying to justify their own salary imo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My voice is my passport

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

my password is the pattern of keys that get pressed when i slap my donger down on the keyboard and let's just say it gets more secure when op's mom's around :smug:

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

MiracleWhale posted:

my password is the pattern of keys that get pressed when i slap my donger down on the keyboard and let's just say it gets more secure when op's mom's around :smug:

*hits spacebar 10 times* I'm in

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i have been using the password iamcool since i was 8 years old

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I only change it if I forget it.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

VikingSkull posted:

my calculator's password is 80085

Nice :slick:

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
my password was given to me by my father, who got it from his father

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MiracleWhale posted:

So which key is your password?

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So which key is your password?

you might assume it's the space bar but actually it's right ctrl because my dick has a severe bend

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hello ladies, I'm a password expert- hey wait why you leaving?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

My voice is my passport

Verify me.

Also, my password is Pa55W0rD

sockingtonsworth
Dec 17, 2013

Every time I have to log in cause I always forget

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
The problem with forcing people to frequently change their password who don't want to change their password is they're just going to cycle through some common passwords they do use or they're just going to change like one letter on the end.

The lab i work at has several computers next to equipment you book where not only is the password simply written down on/by the computer itself, but the password is something like <equipment abbreviation><roomnumber>!a (and as they have to update the password it just switches to b, c, e, so on).

I usually make a pretty good effort to keep my passwords moderately complicated and unique (though I do tend to use the same one for unimportant stuff like games), my work, email, banking, amazon, etc, passwords are all different. But at work I have to change my password so often I've just gotten lazy and used a systematic approach and I'm sure that's not a good thing.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Me IRL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

ArbitraryC posted:

The problem with forcing people to frequently change their password who don't want to change their password is they're just going to cycle through some common passwords they do use or they're just going to change like one letter on the end.

The lab i work at has several computers next to equipment you book where not only is the password simply written down on/by the computer itself, but the password is something like <equipment abbreviation><roomnumber>!a (and as they have to update the password it just switches to b, c, e, so on).

I usually make a pretty good effort to keep my passwords moderately complicated and unique (though I do tend to use the same one for unimportant stuff like games), my work, email, banking, amazon, etc, passwords are all different. But at work I have to change my password so often I've just gotten lazy and used a systematic approach and I'm sure that's not a good thing.

please change your forums password to something you won't remember

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

a messed up horse posted:

my password was given to me by my father, who got it from his father

youre thinking of your butt plug

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I put all of my usernames and passwords in a notepad file so if anyone guesses my computer password, they can go hog wild!

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

OctoberBlues posted:

I put all of my usernames and passwords in a notepad file so if anyone guesses my computer password, they can go hog wild!

might want to put a copy up on pastebin, just as a backup

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
it's extremely important that you maintain a different password for every website that you go to, each with different rules about how the password is constructed. you must memorize these passwords and then change them weekly

also every password at my work is written in sharpie on the computer monitor and the building alarm code is our address number, it's been like this for years, hth

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

City of Tampa posted:

it's extremely important that you maintain a different password for every website that you go to, each with different rules about how the password is constructed. you must memorize these passwords and then change them weekly

also every password at my work is written in sharpie on the computer monitor and the building alarm code is our address number, it's been like this for years, hth
My uni had those pinpad doors for all the rooms with expensive stuff in them (computers, research equipment, etc) and how the system was supposed to work is you had a unique password associated with your student id and the pinpads would be configured to recognize your password for rooms you were supposed to have access to. This meant they could remotely control access to rooms without having to keep track of keys and in the event of lost property they could even identify who went into the rooms that day. Overall it could have been a pretty good system.

Only they tended to be really slow about updating who had access to which rooms so every door had a backup password they could just give you directly in case the IT people hadn't put you in the system yet but you still needed immediate access. The backup was literally 000[room #] and assuming you weren't so oblivious to miss that the backup password to room 117 was 000117 you'd be able to guess the password of all other doors pretty easily and so the whole system was just a waste of time and money.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

but it takes me like a week just to memorize a password :whitewater:

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
There is a spiral notepad in my desk drawer with all my accounts and passwords. My brain is swiss cheese enough without having to remember all those, but McQueef is my favorite.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I have aspergers, but not the level that allows me to memorize a new password every month thank you.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
fuckit i just use keepass

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
I don't know any of my passwords any time I use the internet for anything I click forgot password and go from there

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
I also keep my doors unlocked to my house and vehicle because keys are annoying as hell and my entire existence is just stuff from assorted pawn shops so it's not like anybody will steal my poo poo

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Even my vehicle is an unremarkable pickup truck that nobody would ever want to steal although once some kids stole an exs underwear out of it

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I've used a random temporary password a phone operator gave me for everything for the last 15 years

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

roymorrison posted:

Even my vehicle is an unremarkable pickup truck that nobody would ever want to steal although once some kids stole an exs underwear out of it

you shouldn't have children's underpants in your unremarkable pickup truck imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

roymorrison posted:

what was his name

• Locked thread