Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

One way to do that is to take a character and come up with three quick ways to describe them. Take Ryōbi, for example: you could say, “Short fuse, foul mouth, violent streak,” and those are all obvious. But she’s not like that quite all the time, and so, when you’re analyzing the script, you can go one step further and ask, “When is she angry, and when is she not? What sorts of things piss her off the most? When is she the most calm? What sorts of circumstances might help her open up? What is it she wants, besides the raw thrill of being in control, and why does she want that so badly?” By answering those sorts of questions, a localizer can help present Ryōbi as a full, believable character, without losing what makes her Ryōbi in the first place.

he's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

he's right

They are, but it's said in a way that is funny.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I, for one, appreciate that XSeed puts effort into localising titty games for me.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

futomaki is asuka's "green light" if you get my drift

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Turns out Steins;Gate explains the true meaning of "moe".

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Doesn't look like a grumpy bartender to me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

hosed up vita battery bros: It looks like if you let it go into standby by itself (set the timeout to a minute or whatever) it actually goes into standby instead of just pretending and draining your battery.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

those are deathsmiles characters which is why they're terrible

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mithaldu posted:

Indeed they do.

And she's Twin Tails Day approved.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lets hang out posted:

⌒゚(σ_σ)゚⌒

I'm chapter 2 of FC and I'm still loving it even I'm tackling the game at a glacial pace

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I'm chapter 2 of FC and I'm still loving it even I'm tackling the game at a glacial pace

That's just the game's natural pace

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm right at the last dungeon. I should finish it so I can move on to Second Chapter and then Cold Steel.

Though I hear Cold Steel is beyond terrible but the people who told me this are the people who are adamant that Zero and Azure are the best games in the series and I largely suspect that's only because they've not been localized so those games are being put on some kind of weird elevated pedestal by them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's entirely possible zero and azure are the best games, because I've heard that from people who are generally pretty reasonable, but cold steel is great too

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I went to look up whether there's a chance of us getting either of those, and according to the series' Wikipedia page:

Wikipedia posted:

Xseed decided to skip localizing the game in favor of working on the Trails of Cold Steel games first, but state that they could still go back and release the title in the future if Second Chapter and Cold Steel sell well.

So please buy Cold Steel. It is fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senran Kagura tries to have a serious plot but that is actually one of the things I find weirdest about it. Having characters angst about being abandoned and neglected or the tragic duty of their assassination or whatever contrasts so absurdly hardly with Gropes McBoobs or characters tearing each other's clothes off instead of fighting that it's honestly kind of insane. It also undercuts any possible drama in the game where a dramatic fight to the death between lifelong rivals devolves into them pulling each other's bras off while they go "kyaaaaa~n"

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Senran Kagura tries to have a serious plot but that is actually one of the things I find weirdest about it. Having characters angst about being abandoned and neglected or the tragic duty of their assassination or whatever contrasts so absurdly hardly with Gropes McBoobs or characters tearing each other's clothes off instead of fighting that it's honestly kind of insane. It also undercuts any possible drama in the game where a dramatic fight to the death between lifelong rivals devolves into them pulling each other's bras off while they go "kyaaaaa~n"

I honestly find the disconnect to be hilarious.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah it reminds me of any "super spy" or whatever movies where the highly trained professionals end up just slap-fighting like the teenage girls they are

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 2, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The premise of Zero and Azure looks neat at least, being a cop in a state which is fairly new and politically unstable with both Erebonia and Calvard having a claim to it. I've also heard the protagonist of those games appears in Cold Steel 2 which might make some people wonder who the hell he is since his games never got localized.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Junpei Hyde posted:

It would be hilarious if that disconnect was generally self-aware, but they're playing it extra straight and expecting the audience to believe that the fanservice is tertiary to the plot and mechanics.

I like that I can pretty much ignore any semblance of that in the Versus series, if only because they didn't try to throw demonic booby monsters at me and focused more on how cute Yumi is.

e: They did try to make me feel like I should care about Katsuragi's parents, though, and I couldn't really roll my eyes harder.

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 2, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The real game to senran kagura is figuring out which of the characters should kiss.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

All of them? All of them.

Next game, please.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Blazblue is good on the vita, if you have yet to blaze the blue then I recommend using your vita to do so if you do not fight game normally

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

They managed to deliver a more focused plot in Deep Crimson where all the comedic hijinks where contained into a breather episode and the additional DLC chapters.

Sadly, EV is for all intent and purposes a self contained story that has no real impact on the characters. Even the twins getting the spotlight is idiotic since they managed to move beyond their sister drama in Versus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They managed to deliver a more focused plot in Deep Crimson where all the comedic hijinks where contained into a breather episode and the additional DLC chapters.

Sadly, EV is for all intent and purposes a self contained story that has no real impact on the characters. Even the twins getting the spotlight is idiotic since they managed to move beyond their sister drama in Versus.

The characters having a more focused plot in the DS games makes it worse to me because it just emphasizes they want to tell their anime ninja high school plot told entirely in the form of clothes ripping and oversized breasts. Like the goofy comedy fanservice stuff is par for the course, that poo poo ain't surprising.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mithaldu posted:

My god it's so clear now. My life is complete. I will now wait for the cold embrace of death.

The Reaper!

I see it!

Baal posted:

Blazblue is good on the vita, if you have yet to blaze the blue then I recommend using your vita to do so if you do not fight game normally

How friendly is it to people who don't play many fighting games and don't bother with mechanics deeper than press button, hit other dude or dudette?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/15q3_sony.pdf

Sony's quarterly report is out and it mentions the Vita's 11.2 billion yen parts write-off from last year being responsible for most of the 12.6 billion yen increase in revenue from last year.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's actually very friendly especially if you're just doing story mode stuff which is braindead easy

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Indeed they do.

And she's Twin Tails Day approved.

nyaaan

is there a meaningful difference between twintails and pigtails. please advise ty

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

yes

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Super No Vacancy posted:

nyaaan

is there a meaningful difference between twintails and pigtails. please advise ty

Twintails usually refers to a high placement while pigtails are usually lower

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is it length

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

whats with the creepy alien looking dolls

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

nyaaan

twintails = tsundere

pigtails = class president

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

length doesn't matter

>________________>

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

good to know thank you

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Dehry posted:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/15q3_sony.pdf

Sony's quarterly report is out and it mentions the Vita's 11.2 billion yen parts write-off from last year being responsible for most of the 12.6 billion yen increase in revenue from last year.

I don't know what this means. Did they not manufacture any systems in 2015 or something?

Also:

Davincie posted:

twintails = tsundere

pigtails = class president

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

I don't know what this means. Did they not manufacture any systems in 2015 or something?

Also:

They wrote off 11 billion worth of VIta and PSTV parts in 2015 (Fiscal year 2014) after the Vita TV flopped. I think they were re-purposing Vita 1000 parts to try and use what they already had. They noted that pretty much the entire increase year to year was due to them not having to write off parts this year. They've been hiding Vita numbers since launch, first behind PSP numbers then lumping them in with "others" after PSP was discontinued. I like to search and see if they even mention the Vita in their financial statements.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

class president also requires those big glasses

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Dehry posted:

They wrote off 11 billion worth of VIta and PSTV parts in 2015 (Fiscal year 2014) after the Vita TV flopped. I think they were re-purposing Vita 1000 parts to try and use what they already had. They noted that pretty much the entire increase year to year was due to them not having to write off parts this year. They've been hiding Vita numbers since launch, first behind PSP numbers then lumping them in with "others" after PSP was discontinued. I like to search and see if they even mention the Vita in their financial statements.

Oh, well, jesus. I love my dead, written-off system.

Takoluka posted:

class president also requires those big glasses

Exactly.

Pigtails:

Twintails:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Dehry posted:

So, they were losing money on the vitas because they simply didn't sell?