Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yes, but why male models? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

your mom was all he had to work with.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

How easy would it have been to get a woman to be nude (or near nude) for an old man in the rennaisance that wasn't a prostitute?

Real question.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's pretty neat how Robert Newton really exaggerating his own accent for a film role could make that accent iconic and synonymous with piracy. Like imagine if Newton had been from Glasgow. All pirate movies would have subtitles in America.

I'm not sure that's strictly true. Although he was West Country (Dorset, in fact. Which I know because he's from the same small town as me and has the same first/surname. Weird) the standard rural Dorset accent isn't that pirate. I was under the impression it was more Bristolian (which is quite distinctive) since so many sailed out of Bristol. Likely with a bit of Plymouth in the mix.

Edit: had a look around, and some people suggest it came from Newton. Ehh. I would suggest the west Country accent is the closest we have to it, given that's where many were from. Perhaps that's why they cast him in the first place. Also I doubt he was exaggerating much. I come across people who speak like that a fair bit even these days.

Roblo has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Feb 2, 2016

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

As I recall, he simply preferred larger forms for his work. It might have been handy for art that's meant to be viewed at a distance (e.g. In the Sistine Chapel).

Seems a weird explanation. It's not like scaling wasn't understood reasonably well back then.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

The can opener was invented 40 years after the tin can.

And in some cases that was probably a good thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_beef_scandal

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

NLJP posted:

Seems a weird explanation. It's not like scaling wasn't understood reasonably well back then.

I think part of it was that the sculptors of the time (including ol' Mikey) were being heavily influenced by ancient Greek or Roman sculpture, which involved a lot of dudes. Greek sculpture in particular had a ton of naked athletes and there was this bit of belief that athletic young men were the most aesthetically pleasing thing ever. So, making a beautiful statue of a woman involved making it of an athletic young man with boobs stapled on.

Another fun fact about Michelangelo; he was a cranky, angry jerk that absolutely nobody liked. One of the reasons there was a rivalry between him and Leonardo when they lived in the same city was because Leonardo was the polar opposite. If he had some extra cash laying around he'd sometimes head down to the market and buy birds just to let them go.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think part of it was that the sculptors of the time (including ol' Mikey) were being heavily influenced by ancient Greek or Roman sculpture, which involved a lot of dudes. Greek sculpture in particular had a ton of naked athletes and there was this bit of belief that athletic young men were the most aesthetically pleasing thing ever. So, making a beautiful statue of a woman involved making it of an athletic young man with boobs stapled on.

Another fun fact about Michelangelo; he was a cranky, angry jerk that absolutely nobody liked. One of the reasons there was a rivalry between him and Leonardo when they lived in the same city was because Leonardo was the polar opposite. If he had some extra cash laying around he'd sometimes head down to the market and buy birds just to let them go.

Oh yeah I mean I know nothing much about the subject but that's more or less what I thought. The scale thing was what I was saying seemed weird to me and probably not a good explanation. Still, not like classical sculpture was short of pretty celebrated female nudes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Another fun fact about Michelangelo; he was a cranky, angry jerk that absolutely nobody liked.

The Sixtine Chapel is also full of small gently caress yous to the various people he didn't like.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Roblo posted:

I'm not sure that's strictly true. Although he was West Country (Dorset, in fact. Which I know because he's from the same small town as me and has the same first/surname. Weird) the standard rural Dorset accent isn't that pirate. I was under the impression it was more Bristolian (which is quite distinctive) since so many sailed out of Bristol. Likely with a bit of Plymouth in the mix.

Edit: had a look around, and some people suggest it came from Newton. Ehh. I would suggest the west Country accent is the closest we have to it, given that's where many were from. Perhaps that's why they cast him in the first place. Also I doubt he was exaggerating much. I come across people who speak like that a fair bit even these days.

I'm pretty sure Long John Silver was meant to be from Bristol. So it's not unlikely that Newton's natural accent helped him get the job since he was from the same general region as the character he was playing. Though I'm pretty sure none of the previous film portrayals took the accent anywhere near as far as he did.

The most famous pirate of all time* Edward "Blackbeard" Teach(or possibly Thatch) was also from Bristol.

His flag was pretty cool:

It depicts a skeleton with a goblet in one hand and a spear in the other stabbing a bleeding heart.

His flag ship was called Queen Anne's Revenge. It's not known exactly where the name came from but some have suggested that Teach was a veteran of the War of Spanish Succession, known as Queen Anne's War in the colonies. At very least it is likely that Teach was a Stuart loyalist.

Teach seems to have been very aware that he as a pretty scary looking man with his bushy beard and broad shoulders and used this to his advantage to strike fear into his enemies. He would put lit fuses or matches on his hat to look extra scary during battle. However despite actively trying to look like a madman and having a spooky skeleton on his flag he seems to have been a pretty fair captain and treated his hostages fairly well and not been any more cruel or violent than his colleagues.

Queen Anne's Revenge ran ashore in the spring of 1718 and was damaged beyond repair. The crew was dispersed and Blackbeard accepted a pardon only to return to piracy a few months later. Robert Maynard of the Royal Navy was then dispatched to hunt down Teach in November and managed to track down Teach only a few days later. Manyard had more men than Teach but no cannons. Teach sailed into shallower waters which were not much trouble for his smaller ship but caused Manyard's far larger ship to become stuck leaving him vulnerable to cannon fire. After a few volleys the pirates assumed there were only a handful of survivors and boarded the ship only to be met with several men that Maynard had ordered to take cover below deck. Teach and Maynard fought each other with such ferocity that Maynard's sword broke. Eventually Teach was killed but it took five shots and around 20 sword slashes to bring him down. His head was cut off and mounted on Maynard's bowspit

Some other famous pirate flags:

Edward England:

Richard Worley:

Emmanuel Wynne:

"Calico Jack" Rackham:

Henry Every:

Stede Bonnet:

Edward Low:

"Black Bart" Roberts:

Thomas Tew:

Walter Kennedy and/or Jean Thomas Dulaein:

John Quelch/John Phillips/?????

Christopher Moody

Some of these may be based on vague descriptions and largely guess work.

*Non-fictional at least. I'm pretty sure more people know Jack Sparrow than Blackbeard. Henry Morgan might also give him a run for his money since he has a very popular rum named after him though I doubt most people that drink it are aware that the Captain Morgan in question was an actual person.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is the flag I think is the best out of all of them. Black Bart & Death sharing a drink.

Also if you're ever in the North Carolina area (I think it's near Ocracoke), you can go kayaking around the area that Blackbeard was caught and killed. It's pretty neat.

There's a pretty good book I read a while back about the real pirates etc., I think it was called "Under the Black Sails" or something to that effect.

Edit - Here it is - http://www.amazon.com/Under-Black-Flag-Romance-Reality/dp/081297722X

Mekchu has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Feb 2, 2016

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I read in this book I have about this one incident that Michelangelo got into. He was always seen as a bit of a prodigy in the art world and garnered a lot of praise early in his life. Needless to say, he became pretty full of himself because of all the praise he received. Anyway, one day he was sitting in the Brancacci Chapel in the Santa Maria Del Carmine in Florence sketching the frescoes. Next to him was another artist, Pietro Torrigiano who was also a bit of a rising star in the world of Florentine art. They began discussing the frescoes they were sketching which had been started by Masaccio. Masaccio had died before he finished them, however, and they were finished by Lippi. There was always debate about how successful Lippi had been at finishing Masaccio's work. In any case, Michelangelo believed that he was tho only one capable of matching or exceeding Masaccio's work. He basically ended up pissing off Pietro who just hauled off and punched him square in the face and shattered his nose. So what happened afterwards? Well, Michelangelo was already a patron of Lorenzo de Medici who flew into a rage when he heard about what happened. Pietro ended up having to leave Florence because of it. And that's how the man who painted the Sistine Chapel got into a fistfight at church.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been a HBO miniseries about the rivalry between them.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Another fun fact about Michelangelo; he was a cranky, angry jerk that absolutely nobody liked.

Cellini liked him. But Cellini was himself a cranky, angry jerk (and cold blooded killer also), so birds of a feather maybe.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Michaelangelo also participated in art fraud by painting up a statue of his so that it looked like a Roman antique. He then sold it to a Cardinal Raffaele Riario for a hefty price. He got doubly trolled as karmic revenge, though, because a middleman cheated him out of the money and because after realising he'd been had, Riario was quite impressed by the work and invited Michaelangelo to Rome where he began working on a statue of Bacchus for the cardinal - only for Riario to say (after completion, of course) that he didn't really like it all that much and wouldn't buy it after all.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm pretty sure Long John Silver was meant to be from Bristol. So it's not unlikely that Newton's natural accent helped him get the job since he was from the same general region as the character he was playing. Though I'm pretty sure none of the previous film portrayals took the accent anywhere near as far as he did.

The most famous pirate of all time* Edward "Blackbeard" Teach(or possibly Thatch) was also from Bristol.

His flag was pretty cool:

It depicts a skeleton with a goblet in one hand and a spear in the other stabbing a bleeding heart.

I believe it is an hour glass not a goblet. The symbolism of a time piece in these flags was essential as it was saying to the (hopefully) badly armed and manned merchantmen 'you have minutes before you don't have a choice in being attacked or not. Surrender.'

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

"Black Bart" Roberts:

If I remember my manual for Sid Meier's Pirates!, the ABH AMH stands for A Barbadian's Head and A Martinician's Head. He had a real hate on for Barbados and Martinique in particular.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

System Metternich posted:

Michaelangelo also participated in art fraud by painting up a statue of his so that it looked like a Roman antique. He then sold it to a Cardinal Raffaele Riario for a hefty price. He got doubly trolled as karmic revenge, though, because a middleman cheated him out of the money and because after realising he'd been had, Riario was quite impressed by the work and invited Michaelangelo to Rome where he began working on a statue of Bacchus for the cardinal - only for Riario to say (after completion, of course) that he didn't really like it all that much and wouldn't buy it after all.

A cardinal wanted a statue of a Bacchus?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Saint James the Moor-Slayer, one of the great heros of the Reconquista, who arrived at the very last possible moment to save countless Christian lives from the vile Moors! A hero, a strong identifier of Spanish nationalism, and also the patron namesake of more than a few cities in the Americas (like Matamoros, literally, Moor Killer).

Also, he's probably totally made up and a complete fabrication of the Renaissance.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

WickedHate posted:

A cardinal wanted a statue of a Bacchus?

Before the Counter-Reformation catholic religious titles were often held or given to important people who didn't really give a gently caress about the church beyond the fact that it was a way to be powerful. Accounts of some of the popes from the medieval era are pretty much filled with accounts of heresy, hookers, massive orgies and heroic levels of alcohol abuse.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Following the Reconquista, the Spanish Jews were given the option of converting to Christianity or GTFO of Spain. The Jews that refused to covert and crossed the border into Portugal got enslaved by the portugese.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jews and Spanish Muslims had a good relationship often times employing Jews as mercenaries or bodyguards

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Present posted:

Following the Reconquista, the Spanish Jews were given the option of converting to Christianity or GTFO of Spain. The Jews that refused to covert and crossed the border into Portugal got enslaved by the portugese.

Most of them settled in the Ottoman empire where they had to pay a special tax, like all non-Muslims, but were protected under the law from persecution.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Before the Counter-Reformation catholic religious titles were often held or given to important people who didn't really give a gently caress about the church beyond the fact that it was a way to be powerful. Accounts of some of the popes from the medieval era are pretty much filled with accounts of heresy, hookers, massive orgies and heroic levels of alcohol abuse.

Also the guys who gave us the word nepotism.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Most of them settled in the Ottoman empire where they had to pay a special tax, like all non-Muslims, but were protected under the law from persecution.

The Ottomans even had a military regiment in the fifteenth century, the "Sons of Moses", comprised of Jews expelled from Christian kingdoms who fought for the Sultan during the Ottoman's Balkan invasions.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Is it too late for more Chinese eunch facts? Imperial China's greatest explorer was a court eunuch! Zheng He had a hell of a fleet at his command.

Eunuchs were incredibly powerful figures in the Forbidden City. They were allowed direct contact with the emperor and his concubines, and indeed many eunuchs befriended the royal concubines and engaged in the intrigues of the court. Bribery was another perk. Becoming an imperial eunuch could lift your whole family out of poverty, so many families scrambled to castrate their boys early in the hopes of improving their lot in life.

:nws: :nms: about the castration process
The "single stroke" is horrifying enough on its own. The recovery was also bad. The remaining urinary tract was plugged up while the wound healed. At the end of three days, the plug was removed. If urine flowed freely, the operation was considered a success. If not, the patient could expect to die soon.

Eunuchs also kept their genitalia preserved and on their person at all times. The reasoning was that, if they died, they could be buried with their genitals to insure reincarnation as an intact man. The parents of the last eunuch, mentioned upthread, destroyed the preserved genitals during the Cultural Revolution.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Present posted:

Frequently even if you did convert you got accused of being a crypto-Jew and arrested anyway.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wait wait wait.

Eunuchs had it all lopped off??

drat news to me

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always assumed that eunichs were somehow chemically castrated. I imagined getting a surgery like that would be pretty much a 1% success rate back then.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just chop a dick and balls off you know some major bloodworks

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always assumed that eunichs were somehow chemically castrated. I imagined getting a surgery like that would be pretty much a 1% success rate back then.

You basically doped them up with opium or alcohol and just do it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SKELETON FRAT PARTY

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

You basically doped them up with opium or alcohol and just do it.

All I got was this jumpsuit, some nike trainers and a TNG box set.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've read that 50% would have been the expected contemporary rate with a skilled 'physician' but I can't recall my source at the moment - odds weren't great in any case.

Surgical castration using methods that can be described as a single stroke makes perfect sense though. In a time before anesthesia surgeons felt that taking too long to operate was a form of barbaric cruelty since the patient would be aware of every little cut and movement (not to mention the medical implications of the patient going into shock) and medical practitioners were encouraged to work as quickly as possible. Working fast also limited exposure to pathogens and the like. There's that factoid lately floating around on the net of the surgery with a 300% mortality rate. In his haste to perform a speedy amputation a surgeon sliced into his assistant's fingers, leading his death, the death of the patient from the botched amputation and the death of someone nearby via heart attack/horror. That surgeon wasn't particularly incompetent either, to the contrary, he was very good by the standards of the time.

hard counter has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Feb 3, 2016

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

hard counter posted:

I've read that 50% would have been the expected contemporary rate with a skilled 'physician' but I can't recall my source at the moment - odds weren't great in any case.

Surgical castration using methods that can described as a single stroke makes perfect sense though. In a time before anesthesia surgeons felt that taking too long to operate was a form of barbaric cruelty since the patient would be aware of every little cut and movement (not to mention the medical implications of the patient going into shock) and medical practitioners were encouraged to work as quickly as possible. Working fast also limited exposure to pathogens and the like. There's that factoid lately floating around on the net of the surgery with a 300% mortality rate. In his haste to perform a speedy amputation a surgeon sliced into his assistant's fingers, leading his death, the death of the patient from the botched amputation and the death of someone nearby via heart attack/horror. That surgeon wasn't particularly incompetent either, to the contrary, he was very good by the standards of the time.

wouldn't want to be cruel to the men you're castrating.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cumslut1895 posted:

wouldn't want to be cruel to the men you're castrating.

Well, there's mutilating the poor boy, and then there's drawing out the pain/suffering of the mutilation for longer than really is necessary. I mean, if you have to be castrated (*shudder*) would you rather want the cut to take a matter of seconds, or several long minutes? Not to mention the sooner you finish cutting up the poor child, the soon you can do your best to stop the loving bleeding.

Also, I can totally see the surgeon, even a good one, slicing off his assistant's fingers. I remember reading an old Cracked articles (yes, yes, I know but sometimes they do genuinely interesting interviews) where they interviewed people who did autopsies. They said it's honestly surprisingly easy for a scalpel (which in ideal conditions is supposed to be crazy sharp) to slip and you cut your own finger, so I imagine it's a thousand times easier to slice into the fingers of someone else if you don't have a psychic link to know exactly where their digits are at all times. Doubly so in ye olden days where doctors didn't wear thick, often brightly covered rubber gloves so every digit poking into the wound would soon look like yet another piece of blood-soaked meat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

Saint James the Moor-Slayer, one of the great heros of the Reconquista, who arrived at the very last possible moment to save countless Christian lives from the vile Moors! A hero, a strong identifier of Spanish nationalism, and also the patron namesake of more than a few cities in the Americas (like Matamoros, literally, Moor Killer).

Also, he's probably totally made up and a complete fabrication of the Renaissance.

There's also El Cid, hero of Spain's great chivalric epic The Lay of the Cid, a poem extolling the loyalty and virtue of El Cid as a great Christian hero. Even when he is unjustly treated by his king, El Cid's faith and trust in his liege never wavers. When El Cid is exiled on false charges, he still continues to fight on behalf of his liege against the Moors, eventually regaining his honor and titles through his stalwart defense of Christiandom. He sets the perfect example of an honorable Christian warrior, loyal to king and God unto death.

The good news is that El Cid is definitely an actual historical figure who did indeed fight in the Reconquista... on the Muslim side. Whoops! After being told to gently caress off by his Christian lord, the historical El Cid turned around and hired himself out as a mercenary to the Muslims, who much admired him for his many successes against the Christians. Even the honorific title the Spanish gave him is adapted from the one the Moors gave him: al Sayyid.

El Cid isn't the only chivalric hero who got a good dose of whitewashing. Over the border in France, the big epic chivalric poem is the Song of Roland, who soloed thousands of Muslims in a desperate rearguard action to protect Charlemagne's army as it retreated through the Pyrenees. At least Roland was fighting on the right side; however, there weren't any Muslims in the Pyrenees at the time. Charlemagne got bushwacked by Basques, who were really touchy about their territory and despite their Christianity weren't very happy about giant Frankish armies tromping around on their turf.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hard counter posted:

Surgical castration using methods that can described as a single stroke makes perfect sense though. In a time before anesthesia surgeons felt that taking too long to operate was a form of barbaric cruelty since the patient would be aware of every little cut and movement (not to mention the medical implications of the patient going into shock) and medical practitioners were encouraged to work as quickly as possible. Working fast also limited exposure to pathogens and the like. There's that factoid lately floating around on the net of the surgery with a 300% mortality rate. In his haste to perform a speedy amputation a surgeon sliced into his assistant's fingers, leading his death, the death of the patient from the botched amputation and the death of someone nearby via heart attack/horror. That surgeon wasn't particularly incompetent either, to the contrary, he was very good by the standards of the time.

Although it's highly fictionalized The Knick has some graphic depictions of the race against the clock type of surgical techniques and it's horrifying.

At least they were up to the point where they knew about hygiene and sanitation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

syscall girl posted:

Although it's highly fictionalized The Knick has some graphic depictions of the race against the clock type of surgical techniques and it's horrifying.

At least they were up to the point where they knew about hygiene and sanitation.

I could see that. If you looked into the article I linked, there's some discussion of pre-hygiene surgery and it gets pretty :stonklol:

quote:

"surgeons operated in blood-stiffened frock coats – the stiffer the coat, the prouder the busy surgeon",