Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Takoluka posted:

Disgaea: Make Your Mage A Mini-God

Disgaea: how to manipulate Baal's AI so he stands on a damage tile until he dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the desu2 artist is cool

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

the desu2 artist is cool

It's cool that he gets a lot of work doing something he (presumably) likes, even if I think his designs are hilariously bad. Good on him, IMHO.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he's not an amazing artist, but he has a cool style and he's competent, if a bit ridiculous

his ridiculous designs are never in a position where they actually bother me, so i don't have any problems

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i like the stupid designs but the 'physics' behind them are laughable sometimes

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Wamdoodle posted:

How friendly is it to people who don't play many fighting games and don't bother with mechanics deeper than press button, hit other dude or dudette?

I'm a button smasher and I can get to the ending of some characters well enough( playing it on the 3ds).

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

it really annoys me how he draws female clothing

it just looks bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i disagree

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

thats ok

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Junpei Hyde posted:

So is there much point in playing the PSP project diva games or should I just get Diva F2? (And X when it comes out)

I like Diva F1 better then the sequel, at least the song list. It's cheap and there are a few of not too expensive song DLCs as well. Haven't played PSP games but I do like F1. Well, F2 is not bad either.

On the subject of Vita games, Trails of Cold Steel is really good, haven't finished it yet (on last chapter) but so far definitely worth the money and Vita version is pretty good vs PS3, just slightly longer loading times (not a huge deal though). I did just grab Digimon so will be going straight into that from Trails.

It's pretty cool that FC, SC and Cold Steel (and upcoming Cold Steel 2) are all on Vita. PC ports are better for the first two but portability is cool.

ImpAtom posted:

The most fun thing to do in Cold Steel isn't to oneshot bosses but to set things up so bosses get as few turns as possible. Getting unscathed on a boss is super-fun.

Yeah, there are some really cool strategies around food/healing items and CP recovery plus abusing Alise's buffs. Can get in 4-5 buffed Supers in Turn 1... which will pretty much finish off anything standing. That's just one of broken things in there and I love that about the game. It's also quite a bit faster paced in combat vs FC/SC which is also appreciated. In short... buy Trails CS1.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I'm not a fan but it's not a game ruiner, it's just lame mostly. Not strictly talking the ladies, I don't like how he does faces and expressions

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 3, 2016

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's cool that he gets a lot of work doing something he (presumably) likes, even if I think his designs are hilariously bad. Good on him, IMHO.

It doesn't matter. The game is apparently Summer Wars x Persona x SMT, can't go wrong with that!

RentACop posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan but it's not a game ruiner, it's just lame mostly

Yeap, pointy boobs and DS character copying can be ignored if the underlying game is good (hopefully its good).

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Sprite141 posted:

Ok so how bad is this new firmware update? I have an old as vita I never used that's stuck on 2.02, and I heard the latest version of 3.57 has some bugs/issues and shouldn't be downloaded until it's patched.

I really want to play that digimon game that came out.

I haven't noticed any issues personally. I might be using it differently from other people though because I plug mine in when it's not in use and haven't noticed the background draining or my battery not lasting as long.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I bought Cyber Sleuth during my lunch break and came home to realize I'd actually have to upgrade my firmware to connect to the PSN and install it so I guess I'm still playing Cold Steel until then. My boss strategy is to use Motivate, Resounding Beat, then just S-Crafts and just general mucking around until things die. I just got to day two in Legram, I'm greatly enjoying it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Anyone in this thread playing the Vita version of Crypt of the Necrodancer? Does it run well? I like the thought of portable Necrodancer.

Takoluka posted:

Breaking RPGs without just doing meaningless grind to over-level requires a lot of strategy and thought, and that's appealing to some people. It's not for everyone, though.

As someone who enjoys doing this, it's kind of like understanding the gameplay but rather than just play the game normally you treat it like a puzzle. You put time and thought into coming up with a plan and then win a fight in an inventive, easy way, and that creates a feeling of satisfaction.

One of my favorite RPGs is Final Fantasy V because while you can just play normally or grind the game is full of moments like that if you try for them.

Woptendo
Mar 23, 2006

Sprite141 posted:

Ok so how bad is this new firmware update? I have an old as vita I never used that's stuck on 2.02, and I heard the latest version of 3.57 has some bugs/issues and shouldn't be downloaded until it's patched.

I really want to play that digimon game that came out.

My Vita is dead every night I come home from work due to the "wifi drains your battery while in sleep mode" mode bug (I keep forgetting to put it on airplane mode.)

Also, there's reports of some folk not being able to connect to the store reliably... so definitely not the best of times to patch up.

Has Sony even acknowledge this yet?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Woptendo posted:

My Vita is dead every night I come home from work due to the "wifi drains your battery while in sleep mode" mode bug (I keep forgetting to put it on airplane mode.)

Also, there's reports of some folk not being able to connect to the store reliably... so definitely not the best of times to patch up.

Has Sony even acknowledge this yet?

It does? I never turn my wifi off and my Vita still has the thing where I can turn it on after a month and still have a charge

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

It does? I never turn my wifi off and my Vita still has the thing where I can turn it on after a month and still have a charge

Some people are luckier with the new firmware than others, it seems.

Woptendo
Mar 23, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

Mine was like that too until the last update. Pretty sure a couple other people in this thread were experiencing the same issue.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The Colonel posted:

he's not an amazing artist, but he has a cool style and he's competent, if a bit ridiculous

his ridiculous designs are never in a position where they actually bother me, so i don't have any problems

Didn't he also make Yozakura Quartet? Those designs were pretty good. It seems like after the titty Gradius like games he went a little nuts with the fanservice.

Also, which of the Final Fantasies on Vita don't run like rear end? I want to pick up 6 and 7 (maybe), and after hearing about the weird load times in a few of them, I'm now a bit reserved about jumping in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, he writes and draws YQ, which unfortunately looks kind of bad especially compared the amazing looking anime version (the good one anyway).

Anything other than FF V + VI run fine, FF VII is just a straight PS1 Classic though and doesn't have any of the fancy features of the PS4/iOS port.

jim close
Feb 25, 2007
I was terrified that my vita was going to have a bad reaction to the firmware but I was one of the lucky ones I guess. I wanted to update Terraria since 505 fixed the issue with the game crashing during auto saves. Plus I wanted Cyber Sleuth.

Has anyone ever changed the battery on their first Gen vita? My launch vita is starting to drain to half after about two hours.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
To be fair, FF5 and 6 are totally playable on the Vita. They just have noticeable lag when going into the menus and a handful of other important things. It's annoying as hell but I've played and beaten both of them that way cuz portable FF. Oh also FF5 has the dry, boring PSX translation. I'm really selling this aren't I.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

Oh also FF5 has the dry, boring PSX translation.

Y Burn

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The PS FFV translation isn't just dry and boring, it's bad with some hilarious errors like Y-Burn (wyven).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also faris's pirate talk that never stops

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

wrong thread!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

[Unfair Probation Zone]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

[Unfair Probation Zone]
sonic cleared

Unfair Probation Zone
Act 1

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

sonic cleared

Unfair Probation Zone
Act 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU9BkHG7IZM

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can finally connect to the Vita store. Everyone else with problems connecting, check if you can access it now as well.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I saw somewhere that turning the system off and then on again can let you browse the shop, which worked for me.

And BoF4 is on the shop? I thought you all said it wasn't?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Woptendo posted:

Mine was like that too until the last update. Pretty sure a couple other people in this thread were experiencing the same issue.

My night of testing suggests if you let it go to sleep by itself (set the timeout for standby to one minute to make this less ridiculous) it'll sleep properly with the wifi left on whatever setting you prefer and your battery will be as good as it ever is.

Manually pressing the power button to put it in standby apparently just turns off the screen and leaves the console running at full tilt.

Hopefully there's another update soon because this is pretty poo poo and I still want to buy digimon on Friday.

My store problems have gone away after a reset from the recovery menu, and I didn't have to reinstall anything because a format wasn't needed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Anora posted:

I saw somewhere that turning the system off and then on again can let you browse the shop, which worked for me.

And BoF4 is on the shop? I thought you all said it wasn't?

BoF4 has been on the US shop for a long time but is not on the EU shop. Conversely, BoF3 has been available on the EU shop for a long time and is not available on the US shop... Until some time this month supposedly.

e: grammar

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 3, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BOF3 is not available in every EU shop. Capcom messed up and didn't release some of their PSP games in some countries (including mine), then they fixed it half way through last year (SFA3, Darkstalkers 3, etc) but forgot BOF3. It's exasperating.

Also, some impressions from the Vita version of Crypt of Necrodancer:

quote:

Crossbuy/cross-save with PS4
60 fps
1147 MB
Controls are responsive
Danny B soundtrack (for those worried after the Meatboy situation)
Co-op is in
Daily challenge is in
Audio quality is great

Jump in! (if you can connect to the PSN Store to begin with)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Huh. Uh, maybe I'll wait on downloading the 3.57 update. I'll do some research into wether or not the digimon game requires the latest firmware or if it can go with a 3.55, and then do that open cma and ps3 thing to get it downloaded on my vita.

Otherwise I'll have to get it on the ps4 and I don't own one of those.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Cold Steel: If I have everyone's slots open can I start selling the elemental typed sephiroths?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

bloodychill posted:

To be fair, FF5 and 6 are totally playable on the Vita. They just have noticeable lag when going into the menus and a handful of other important things.

On a similar note, I do not understand how the Classics version of Mega Man Legends lags on *only the Vita*.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Cold Steel: If I have everyone's slots open can I start selling the elemental typed sephiroths?

Yes. If you're doing everything, you'll get plenty of good quartz to get by without making any yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hour 14 of Trails in the Sky First Chapter and I'm hanging out at the docks looking for sailors.