Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Speaking of names, did they ever mention in the show what CPM stood for? I might have missed it, but it was such a cool part of the reveal and I don't remember it being in the episodes.

Meat for the machine :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They said the words when they were facing off against the professional mercenaries who wouldn't let them onto their ship and the firefight breaks out, but they didn't explicitly say that's what CPM stands for.

I agree, it's an awkward place to end the season, but I'm too busy admiring the adaptation in most other respects to care. They needed thirteen episodes, but they weren't given the budget for it, so they're caught between the amount of time they have and the events of the novel that they have to cover. Plus, Chrisjen wasn't even in the first book at all; that's pretty much all additional material. I think it's wise to bring her in from the beginning in other respects, so I think it's worth the 'narrative budget' that's spent on it, as General Battuta of this parish would put it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Wow, could they have reused any more footage in that first half?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

First time I've ever posted in TV iv I think. Just posing to say this is one of the best shows TV ever gave us.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
That was a great season finale, although it really feels more like a mid-season break.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

That was a great season finale, although it really feels more like a mid-season break.

I agree with this. Still nice that Syfy has a non sharknado based show.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Also, I always like Francois Chau and he's a good choice to play Jules Mao. He's Doctor Shen from X-Com, for all of you into games.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
This show absolutely owns and I hope the second series doesn't have its budget slashed. As someone who hasn't read the books and is now avoiding doing so to not spoil anything, the whole universe made sense.

I felt like ten episodes was fine, other than maybe the start of the ninth episode it was never flabby. Maybe helped the pacing that apparently they didn't get the budget to do a full thirteen.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Still watching the finale but I gotta say I felt the show did a decent job with the Miller->Julie weird infatuation thing despite not having the luxury of delving into his internal monologues, it's always been one of the most emotionally powerful bits in the books, the way he gets so completely attached to this woman he's never met and I felt the show makes you feel bad for both of them. It's good.

Also, Miller is just so absolutely charismatic and badass in the show it really screws with my perception of the character. I always pictured him as this mopey sad loser but now he's pretty much my favorite character.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mons Hubris posted:

I haven't read the books so I gotta know, is this going to turn into Walking Dead in space?

The show deliberately changed aspects of the Protomolecule's effects to avoid looking like another Zombie show.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Milky Moor posted:

It did end mid novel.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 3, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Kay, so concerning the discussion from earlier (spoilers about the mysterious bio-weapon thingy)I can understand why they chose to avoid the vomit zombies mostly for aesthetic reasons but I felt like the alternative they came up with was much less satisfying, for starters it was a lot less intense and horrific, the vomit zombies were an immediate danger to our protagonists and they came off as truly gruesome. It is also a lot less mysterious and satisfying from a sci-fi\speculative perspective, the protomolecule in the novels is not intelligent, it is basically an engineered simulacrum of a life form that has a very specific and complicated purpose but achieves it by brute force and hyperfast evolution, the zombies made sense because it was the protomolecule hijacking the host bodies and using them to rapidly increase its biomass and start doing its poo poo, it didn't go about any of it intelligently. Though I guess it can be argued that once the protomolecule 'metabolized' Julie it had access to her mental faculties so it's also sensible for it to go about its business in a semi-intelligent manner. idk. Still, I didn't love the portrayal but it was definitely good enough.

The holden-miller chemistry in the finale was great, Miller was ice-cold and awesome, Amos too was cool. All in all I think it was a great first season.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 3, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I really liked it but I think skimming the wiki actually helped. I think they could've had a little more 'showing.'

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
My absolutely favorite scene of this whole series is Miller playing OPA rebel rouser to spark the shootout between security thugs and mercenaries

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

gohmak posted:

My absolutely favorite scene of this whole series is Miller playing OPA rebel rouser to spark the shootout between security thugs and mercenaries

Yeah, Belterspeak is just awesome.

Also as soon as the cop guy turned his back on Amos I went "lol nice seeing you moron"

I feel you really need to read the books to fully enjoy it - you get the best parts, better characterization and scenes in the show (not to slam on the writers but everyone just has the same voice and presence in the books for me), and all the background exposition you need.

They kinda let me down on it mostly but I felt the last scene nailed the (book, not tv spoilers meaning spoilers ahead of TV don't read this if you haven't read the books) HOLYFUCK ALIENS part of the books.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 6, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Still watching the finale but I gotta say I felt the show did a decent job with the Miller->Julie weird infatuation thing despite not having the luxury of delving into his internal monologues, it's always been one of the most emotionally powerful bits in the books, the way he gets so completely attached to this woman he's never met and I felt the show makes you feel bad for both of them. It's good.

Also, Miller is just so absolutely charismatic and badass in the show it really screws with my perception of the character. I always pictured him as this mopey sad loser but now he's pretty much my favorite character.

Thomas Jane owned in the role

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Can someone who understands physics good explain this to me: wouldn't detonating a nuclear bomb in the vacuum of space result in a blast wave that expanded constantly outwards without diminishing in power because there's nothing in space providing resistance against its energy? So basically the wave from the nuke that destroyed the Canterbury would have reached Julie on the asteroid and hit it with the exact same force as it did to the Canterbury rather than making the camera shake a bit? Or does the wave lose energy in its expansion?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Can someone who understands physics good explain this to me: wouldn't detonating a nuclear bomb in the vacuum of space result in a blast wave that expanded constantly outwards without diminishing in power because there's nothing in space providing resistance against its energy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

It doesn't technically diminish in power but since the 'surface area' of the blast wave keeps expanding it will very soon reach the point where the energy applied per square centimeter is negligible.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

emanresu tnuocca posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

It doesn't technically diminish in power but since the 'surface area' of the blast wave keeps expanding it will very soon reach the point where the energy applied per square centimeter is negligible.

That makes sense, thank you.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Can someone who understands physics good explain this to me: wouldn't detonating a nuclear bomb in the vacuum of space result in a blast wave that expanded constantly outwards without diminishing in power because there's nothing in space providing resistance against its energy? So basically the wave from the nuke that destroyed the Canterbury would have reached Julie on the asteroid and hit it with the exact same force as it did to the Canterbury rather than making the camera shake a bit? Or does the wave lose energy in its expansion?

Space is a vacuum. The nuke would transmit almost no concussive force, because there is no medium in which to conduct a pressure wave as there is in water or air. It would, however, put out a shitload of heat, prompt radiation, and debris (from the wreckage of the Cant, which is what gave Our Heroes problems during their escape). As the poster above noted, radiant energy follows an inverse-square law. She was far enough that the nuke's thermal effects didn't damage the ship, and their ships need to be heavily shielded against radiation in order to human survive out there in the first place.

Arguably the Cant should not have exploded in the way it did; it might be more accurate for it to be kinda half-melted, and have a few holes blow outward as the ship's internal atmosphere undergoes thermal expansion. But the nuke could have set off volatiles (chemical fuels for RCS thrusters, for example, or some supercritical reaction in the Canterbury's own drive).

But it's hard to say, because nobody's ever nuked a spaceship IRL.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
FWIW, this lack of concussive force is why, in a lot of written science fiction, nuclear bombs are usually used to power single-use gamma-ray lasers, which direct all that energy into a focused point, and will most assuredly kill your target dead if the beam is aimed correctly. (Again, a purely theoretical application, as no one has built a bomb-pumped graser yet.)

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Kesper North posted:

FWIW, this lack of concussive force is why, in a lot of written science fiction, nuclear bombs are usually used to power single-use gamma-ray lasers, which direct all that energy into a focused point, and will most assuredly kill your target dead if the beam is aimed correctly. (Again, a purely theoretical application, as no one has built a bomb-pumped graser yet.)

I love how you say yet, because we will do that poo poo the second technology allows for it.
:hoomans:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

gohmak posted:

The show deliberately changed aspects of the Protomolecule's effects to avoid looking like another Zombie show.

I've read the first book and I thought it was a great finale (though they did leave it in a weird place), the zombie part of the book was by far my least favourite part. It's so loving overdone and I don't think they did anything particularly interesting with it. Everything kicked rear end in these two episodes, I have zero issues with anything they changed, Miller was so loving good.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
I didn't care for Miller in the books. Miller in the show was incredible. I thought it was a great first season and I really hope it builds up some word of mouth and has a strong season 2.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just finised episode 9 holy poo poo. This is probably my favorite show now.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

karrethuun posted:

I didn't care for Miller in the books. Miller in the show was incredible. I thought it was a great first season and I really hope it builds up some word of mouth and has a strong season 2.

Season 2 is slated for Q1 2017, so that's quite a wait. drat good first season.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Seeing the protomolecule do the phantom thing was kinda neat but I was bracing myself the whole hour for a total horror show. Awkward last few minutes, with the exception of Amos and "ya'll look like poo poo" but overall I liked it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

I've read the first book and I thought it was a great finale (though they did leave it in a weird place), the zombie part of the book was by far my least favourite part. It's so loving overdone and I don't think they did anything particularly interesting with it. Everything kicked rear end in these two episodes, I have zero issues with anything they changed, Miller was so loving good.

Yeah when I first heard they were doing this show I thought it would be a quick run up to 4-6 episodes of generic zombie adventure and I'm glad they went the way they did. Not sure why Miller got so much more hosed up by the radiation, though. That said the effects they did show [book spoiler] make the protomolecule stuff look a lot more obviously "alien" with the glowing and that tentacle at the end than "oh poo poo some scientists made something really hosed up but it's still of human origin"

One thing that's interesting is that when I read the books I remember thinking "this feels like a TV show" but the actual TV show they've made out of it is much better than I was imagining. I like that they're not afraid to depart from the books, I think some of that might be because while the books are good they're not a longstanding classic of the genre. They've definitely made Miller a better character, I remember reading the books and occasionally thinking "ugh a Miller chapter."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Was spy-guy trying to get a clip of Holden saying he would kill him? I couldn't figure out that last scene.
He was trying to convince Holden to let him hitch a ride off the station after he betrayed them. How was this unclear in any way?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Example: I liked how Alex got more attention this episode and I like how the actor is portraying the juxtaposition of his Asian-Indian ancestry and the Martian Texan accent
See also: Bobby Jindal

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

qirex posted:

Yeah when I first heard they were doing this show I thought it would be a quick run up to 4-6 episodes of generic zombie adventure and I'm glad they went the way they did. Not sure why Miller got so much more hosed up by the radiation, though. That said the effects they did show [book spoiler] make the protomolecule stuff look a lot more obviously "alien" with the glowing and that tentacle at the end than "oh poo poo some scientists made something really hosed up but it's still of human origin"

One thing that's interesting is that when I read the books I remember thinking "this feels like a TV show" but the actual TV show they've made out of it is much better than I was imagining. I like that they're not afraid to depart from the books, I think some of that might be because while the books are good they're not a longstanding classic of the genre. They've definitely made Miller a better character, I remember reading the books and occasionally thinking "ugh a Miller chapter."

I still have some issues with things they changed for the show (mostly relating to character dynamics), but yeah comparatively this is a stronger season of sci-fi television than the book is as a piece of sci-fi writing. The Eros escape parts of the book in particular just drag on and on, and it was a much more memorable sequence on the show while not really losing anything significant in the transition. This whole season has been a killer start to the show, I really hope they don't drop the ball, because I definitely think this has the potential to far surpass Battlestar in the long run (if it hasn't already)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Might as well ask in here -- anyone know if the audiobooks are good? Probably going to grab 'em all with audible credits to tide me over until next year.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
This was a really good season of TV.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

Might as well ask in here -- anyone know if the audiobooks are good? Probably going to grab 'em all with audible credits to tide me over until next year.

The audiobook of Leviathan was the version I listened to. It's good, wouldn't say the narrator stood out to me, but I enjoyed it.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

NmareBfly posted:

I've listened to all of them at least twice now. The guy doing the narration is no Steven Pacey, but no one is. They're great, in my opinion, he's consistent on the characters, and I'm going back to the beginning to Leviathan tomorrow to run through them again.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

karrethuun posted:

Yeah Miller's my favorite character, the last two episodes really cemented that. I didn't have a problem with the season ending where it did, lots of cliffhanger hooks while also explaining a lot of what's been going on, who the bad guys are, etc. It's a subtle thing too, but I feel like we're inclined to expect a break when we see characters in really bad shape like Miller and Holden. Like, of course we need to wait for another season, those guys are practically dead!

More than anything related to the protomolecule stuff or where they decided to leave off, I was bugged that we never saw Miller or Holden tell anyone they have vicious radiation poisoning. Obviously they explain what's up offscreen, but I think a quick thing of Amos helping them toward their seats and Holden saying they have radiation poisoning on the way, followed by Amos kind of hustling a bit more or changing his demeanor, would've been nice.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011

NowonSA posted:

Yeah Miller's my favorite character, the last two episodes really cemented that. I didn't have a problem with the season ending where it did, lots of cliffhanger hooks while also explaining a lot of what's been going on, who the bad guys are, etc. It's a subtle thing too, but I feel like we're inclined to expect a break when we see characters in really bad shape like Miller and Holden. Like, of course we need to wait for another season, those guys are practically dead!

More than anything related to the protomolecule stuff or where they decided to leave off, I was bugged that we never saw Miller or Holden tell anyone they have vicious radiation poisoning. Obviously they explain what's up offscreen, but I think a quick thing of Amos helping them toward their seats and Holden saying they have radiation poisoning on the way, followed by Amos kind of hustling a bit more or changing his demeanor, would've been nice.

my favorite quote of the episode in that regard was Amos remarking that their med device or whatever kept trying to switch to hospice mode. Even when Amos is hustling his demeanor doesn't really change though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad that the whole episode really went into the whole body horror for what it was like getting infected and transformed by the infection.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NowonSA posted:

The arm-band auto-docs they had on them were showing 3 green icons and the last was a red radiation symbol. You can only see it on Holden's and there's no real attention drawn to it for the brief time it's on screen, just Naomi fiddling with the settings and getting it seated. I imagine the bands are taking care of the diagnosis and treatment.

It's one of the things I love about the show. Not only is it VERY strong on the "show don't tell" ethos, it's also got "pay loving attention to everything because I'm not holding your hand" going on as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

karrethuun posted:

my favorite quote of the episode in that regard was Amos remarking that their med device or whatever kept trying to switch to hospice mode. Even when Amos is hustling his demeanor doesn't really change though.

Yeah I loved that, too.

• Locked thread