Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

hollylolly posted:

What was the space race thing Miller walked in on a few episodes ago when he was trying to track down the data broker? It wasn't explained other than ...well it was a race or something and apparently super dangerous. :lol:

It was something that appears in the 2nd or 3rd book. Not sure why they threw it in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

hollylolly posted:

What was the space race thing Miller walked in on a few episodes ago when he was trying to track down the data broker? It wasn't explained other than ...well it was a race or something and apparently super dangerous. :lol:

If I recall correctly, it's an underground Belter thing involving slapping together a tiny, minimally functional ship, doing one big thrust, and then flying on a ballistic trajectory through whatever impressively dangerous path the pilot has picked with nothing but maybe RCS thrusters for steering.

withak posted:

It was something that appears in the 2nd or 3rd book. Not sure why they threw it in there.

Same reason other things are being brought forward: to establish them as part of the setting and flesh out the world in the process.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry if it was a dumb question. :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

withak posted:

Basically the opening scene of book 3

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

If I recall correctly, it's an underground Belter thing involving slapping together a tiny, minimally functional ship, doing one big thrust, and then flying on a ballistic trajectory through whatever impressively dangerous path the pilot has picked with nothing but maybe RCS thrusters for steering.

It was using the gravity slingshot trick to try to break speed records.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
promo for the expanse season finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-RdwHgdUlU

julie's definitely looking closer to how i imagined her in the books there :gonk:

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I wish they wouldn't fall back so much on lighting/color correcting the whole scene in blue or purple.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well that there is something I didn't really see coming :what:

e: someone said earlier your flat-footed reaction would be :what:, well you were right

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Milky Moor posted:

promo for the expanse season finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-RdwHgdUlU

julie's definitely looking closer to how i imagined her in the books there :gonk:

Awesome

darnon posted:

I wish they wouldn't fall back so much on lighting/color correcting the whole scene in blue or purple.

At least its not blue and orange like all of Hollywood.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

darnon posted:

It's not as bad as The Shannara Chronicles. Everything is over-saturated in this series. It's really bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hakkesshu posted:

It was pretty self-explanatory.

It really wasn't.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's been a while since I read that book and I didn't remember that book scene at all but the screens full of people in ships, 3d map of space with courses plotted through it, obvious setting of a crime den with a bookie kingpin in it laid out pretty well what was going on even if it didnt delve into the specific rules of the contest (s)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Yeah I knew they were betting on the outcome/survival of the pilots but I didn't know exactly where they were going or whatever. Flying as fast as they can through unsafe areas of space in rickety ships sums it up good enough I guess.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No area of space is safe.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Not when people are flying around like that it isn't. Fuckin belter drivers :argh:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This is a safe space

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

hollylolly posted:

Yeah I knew they were betting on the outcome/survival of the pilots but I didn't know exactly where they were going or whatever. Flying as fast as they can through unsafe areas of space in rickety ships sums it up good enough I guess.

The idea is that they do one giant burn at the beginning, and try to gravity slingshot through a pre-planned course. More glory for harder courses.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It really wasn't.

they outright said what was going on in the scene, I'm not seeing the issue

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xsf421 posted:

The idea is that they do one giant burn at the beginning, and try to gravity slingshot through a pre-planned course. More glory for harder courses.

But can they make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs?

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

Hakkesshu posted:

they outright said what was going on in the scene, I'm not seeing the issue

Yeah this.

I will say i wound up turning captioning on after about 5 minutes because sometimes the dialog is hard to follow, but they completely spell out what that guy was doing.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you're not familiar with what 'slingshot' means in reference to space travel I could see that scene being very confusing but the rest is pretty easy to pick out from context.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Gravity slingshotting also got John Crichton into wacky alien adventures! :science:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tortolia posted:

Gravity slingshotting also got John Crichton into wacky alien adventures! :science:

also sexy adventures

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gravity Slingshots are awesome in Universe Sandbox 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz3iklObSzM&t=610s

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Gravity Slingshots are awesome in Universe Sandbox 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz3iklObSzM&t=610s

Also Kerbal Space Program

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

For a comprehensive explanation of how gravity assists work you should watch the Martian, wherein Childish Gambino explains the concept to the Director of NASA.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

GODDAMMIT THE TELESCOPE IN THAT OFFICE WAS BACKWARDS

:spergin:

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I love how disgusting and dirty they're making Miller, and how he's just rolling with it.

Miller is awesome.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
"I'm just gonna put this below." :allears:

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
That was a very awkward place to end the season.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Really don't understand why they left the cliffhanger there. I didn't even finish the book, but to not even really show what was happening to everyone was a huge mistake.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I liked the show better than the book but they completely dropped the ball on the finale.

Book readers are going to be okay but if I was just watching the show, I'd be pretty disappointed by what has been a pretty show. The commercials were also the worst and basically put me off the entire thing.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Never read the books and I loved the finale :shrug:

Im really glad the show at least has introduced a somewhat fantastical element because as much as I love hard scifi I cant imagine the politics carrying this show alone.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, I don't know whether it was a good decision or not to change vomit zombies to just people still semi-conscious and reaching for help. It had good points, lots of good independent points, but overall it felt like the weakest part of the season.

I loved seeing Julie's POV, but the rest of the first half didn't feel like anything happened. Just didn't have the impact I was looking forward to as a cliffhanger ending.

As usual, though, Miller killed it, it was great seeing Holden actually proactive about things, and when it comes to kids, Amos doesn't need to look to Naomi to know what the good thing to do is. Miller and Holden's chemistry was actually really good, so I can't wait to see how that continues next season.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I haven't read the books so I gotta know, is this going to turn into Walking Dead in space?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

I haven't read the books so I gotta know, is this going to turn into Walking Dead in space?

Nah.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Ok cool thanks

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

KatWithHands posted:

Yeah, I don't know whether it was a good decision or not to change vomit zombies to just people still semi-conscious and reaching for help. It had good points, lots of good independent points, but overall it felt like the weakest part of the season.

I heard that the authors don't like that they came across as 'vomit zombies' and wanted to make the change to them just being really sick people.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

I heard that the authors don't like that they came across as 'vomit zombies' and wanted to make the change to them just being really sick people.

Oh, well, there you go. That's fair enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

But that's literally the name the book gives them.

• Locked thread