Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, weird. When the Steam Controller first came out I published a binding for Mass Effect 1 that was basically emulating the console controls but making use of the back buttons for a few more quick powers. Since I published that I started messing around with the other features of the controller and realised you could actually do a hell of a lot more than you ever could on an 360 controller (things like gyro aiming and a shift button that let me change the 'dpad' from squad commands to weapon hotkeys)but I never published the updated bindings.

I'm pretty sure the most popular community binding is actually based off the one I first published, what buttons haven't changed have the exact same names I gave them in my original version and the three quick power hotkeys are the last three on the hotbar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

My Q-Face posted:

My first time through Omega it just dragged, but my second time through (to pick up all the missing achievements), it really seemed to blow by - on insanity no less . Probably something to do with all the time I pumped into MP. "Oh, they dropped two Atlases in your way". :geno: Okay. :flame:

Playing through 2 again though, I just completely ignored Aria. Is her "story" in 2 really just that "Hey, Aria wants to see you" -go see Aria and ask about things Edi already told you the answer to when you got off the Normandy" I'm having trouble remembering if she actually contributed anything to the game, quest or reward, or even story-wise. - Beyond "Don't gently caress with Aria"

Aria illustrates the unique narrative technique of "tell, don't show" which is later brought to perfection in Kai Leng.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My Q-Face posted:

Beyond "Don't gently caress with Aria"

I enjoy that line because if you time it right you can make it sound like the one rule of Omega is "Don't gently caress".

Completely changes the ambiance.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I enjoy that line because if you time it right you can make it sound like the one rule of Omega is "Don't gently caress".

Completely changes the ambiance.
No wonder everyone there is in such a bad mood. :v:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Pattonesque posted:

Aria illustrates the unique narrative technique of "tell, don't show" which is later brought to perfection in Kai Leng.

Well, Aria was at least Useful in Omega. She suffered from Cutscene-osis, but she wasn't useless.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like the part where she starts spazzing out during her speech.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Well, Aria was at least Useful in Omega. She suffered from Cutscene-osis, but she wasn't useless.
Shame that she reeks of being the writers special little pet though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

My Q-Face posted:

Also she's got a pottymouth, which was lacking since Jack left.

Waltzing Along posted:

I like the part where she starts spazzing out during her speech.
Yeah I don't know how that made it through QA but it's loving hilarious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
A common question around these parts is whether DLC ever goes on sale?

Well, on PSN all the ME3 stuff is currently 70% off.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Shame that she reeks of being the writers special little pet though.

As opposed to Shepard.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alain Post posted:

As opposed to Shepard.

Shepard is the player's special little pet. It's totally different.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really like Aria that much, but I always find it silly when people complain about "Mary Sues" in a game genre where the player character is almost always the biggest "Mary Sue" in the universe.

I think people complained about Morrigan in DA:O the same way.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Shepard is boring no matter what

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Shepard is boring no matter what

Shepard.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wrex.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I should go.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Jet Jaguar posted:

I should go.

I Should Go?

Do I really sound like that?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
citadel is so loving good

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Moola posted:

citadel is so loving good

citadel owns and I think bought Bioware a lot of goodwill post-ME3

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it and the multiplayer are why I'm excited for nu-effect

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm playing through 2 at the moment, and fighting Vasir has cemented what I thought at the time. She is the best boss fight of the series. They do a great job of establishing her as a threat and the actual fight was memorable. Much more enjoyable than Sovereign or baby reaper.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Spikeguy posted:

I'm playing through 2 at the moment, and fighting Vasir has cemented what I thought at the time. She is the best boss fight of the series. They do a great job of establishing her as a threat and the actual fight was memorable. Much more enjoyable than Sovereign or baby reaper.

I really loved the reveal that Sovereign isn't just a ship but a sentient being controlling Saren. Also loved the effect they put on his voice. I think that's my favorite moment of the series.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Spikeguy posted:

I'm a big fan of the fight at the end of Citadel.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Fighting Vasir as a vanguard is so silly. Good-silly.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vasir would have been a great rival through the series. I hope they try to tap into that in Nu-Effect. It was different from the dude in 3, and I think that's because of the Spectre status. We all had an idea of what that entails, and then she does some bad rear end poo poo so it was easy to believe her competency.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That fight is awful. Teammate ai can't handle it so they die over and over and it's a tedious series of waves of nonthreatening nonsense.

It's a small, poorly constructed version of that giant floating mass of corpses boss from earlier on in the main game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked spamming the engineer combat drone at her with like a half second cooldown so she stays constantly distracted and doesn't do poo poo.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Furism posted:

I really loved the reveal that Sovereign isn't just a ship but a sentient being controlling Saren. Also loved the effect they put on his voice. I think that's my favorite moment of the series.

That was what made a huge Mass Effect fan. Right after that, Kaiden dies, Anderson punches the ambassador, and I drove a Mako through a mass relay. That's how you end a videogame!

Spikeguy posted:

Vasir would have been a great rival through the series. I hope they try to tap into that in Nu-Effect. It was different from the dude in 3, and I think that's because of the Spectre status. We all had an idea of what that entails, and then she does some bad rear end poo poo so it was easy to believe her competency.

It would be cool if they brought back powers like lift and damping and your enemy was the opposite class you are. So if you are a soldier, they are a sentinel and they have a mess of powers to keep you off balance. And if you are a biotic the have damping so you can't use all your powers. That would be a fun gimmick.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lycus posted:

Fighting Vasir as a vanguard is so silly. Good-silly.

That fight still had my favorite moment from when I played the game.

Liara had hit her with warp, I think, and I charged into her. Then she vanished. I turned the camera around and couldn't find her, figuring she charged somewhere. Then I see her way in the distance because the biotic explosion had thrown her almost out of the map, but she still had about a third health left. After a few more seconds I got the cutscene and she was laying down, because it automatically gave me the win for the fight. It was hilarious.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

wookieepelt posted:

That was what made a huge Mass Effect fan. Right after that, Kaiden dies, Anderson punches the ambassador, and I drove a Mako through a mass relay. That's how you end a videogame!

I liked it when the Reapers were all "Our motivations are unknowable, you could not comprehend" etc but then no, it turns out that not only is it completely knowable and understandable, but it's also a really dumb reason and turns the Reapers into nothing but stupid robot puppets.

Boooooo. :mad:

If you're going to pull the ol' "Unknowable Evil" bit, don't ever actually tell us why.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Codependent Poster posted:

That fight still had my favorite moment from when I played the game.

Liara had hit her with warp, I think, and I charged into her. Then she vanished. I turned the camera around and couldn't find her, figuring she charged somewhere. Then I see her way in the distance because the biotic explosion had thrown her almost out of the map, but she still had about a third health left. After a few more seconds I got the cutscene and she was laying down, because it automatically gave me the win for the fight. It was hilarious.

map-out kills like that were how I finished ME1 insanity. Who needs to shoot them when you can just launch them out of the playable area so hard they just fall over and die?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rhjamiz posted:

I liked it when the Reapers were all "Our motivations are unknowable, you could not comprehend" etc but then no, it turns out that not only is it completely knowable and understandable, but it's also a really dumb reason and turns the Reapers into nothing but stupid robot puppets.

Boooooo. :mad:

If you're going to pull the ol' "Unknowable Evil" bit, don't ever actually tell us why.

they tried to have it both ways and it blew up in their faces

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

they tried to have it both ways and it blew up in their faces

Yeah, their sudden attempt to try to paint the Reapers as like, I dunno, "benevolent???" robots "just looking out for the galaxy in a misguided way" made absolutely no sense since for literally the entire past three games, the Reapers went about their business in what I can honestly describe as the most gratuitously malicious manner as possible. Horrible torture, brutally slaughtering entire planets in a way so as to ensure maximum terror and suffering, literally mulching folks in order to build more robots.

Just thinking about that just makes me irrationally angry.

I maintain that the only redeeming qualities of ME3 are the Citadel DLC, Multiplayer, and Tuchanka. Tuchanka managed to actually capture, for a brief moment, everything Bioware claimed they were building up to; that your choices throughout the games would actually matter, and culminate in a meaningful outcome, rather than simply being ABC bullshit.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
ME2 had the best combat of the series. I really enjoyed the ammo system.
ME3 had pretty good graphics, but combat was too easy even on the highest difficulty.
Played a on the PS3 and always as a soldier.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How does the third and supposed final game in a trilogy have no ending done two years into the development cycle?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't know what you're talking about. The Mass Effect 3 I played ended after you bro out with Garrus shooting bottles and talking about how much crazy poo poo happened after the last few years. Seemed like the perfect ending to me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tenzarin posted:

ME2 had the best combat of the series. I really enjoyed the ammo system.
ME3 had pretty good graphics, but combat was too easy even on the highest difficulty.
Played a on the PS3 and always as a soldier.

The ammo is the only bad thing about ME2's combat, but only because it encouraged you to scoot around after every encounter hoovering up fresh clips. Really disrupted the flow.

ME3's graphics suffered for the really dodgy lighting they were using. Joker looked diseased (would have been good if he were).

Soldier is best class.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rhjamiz posted:

I maintain that the only redeeming qualities of ME3 are the Citadel DLC, Multiplayer, and Tuchanka. Tuchanka managed to actually capture, for a brief moment, everything Bioware claimed they were building up to; that your choices throughout the games would actually matter, and culminate in a meaningful outcome, rather than simply being ABC bullshit.

It could be a bit of a smaller thing in some eyes but ME3 had the best interaction between characters a Bioware game ever had, helped immensely by it being a series with a lot of the same characters (unlike something like DA Inquisition which tried hard but didn't really have the necessary continuity to pull me in entirely). Things like Garrus calling out for some old C-Sec buddies during the Cerberus attack or David apologizing to EDI on Grissom or getting that mail showing that Zaeed is going to fix up Jessie (obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9-dLzzQuVM) really helps emotionally sell the characters.

Not only that but the team actually moved around the Normandy and talked to people other than Shepard!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah, their sudden attempt to try to paint the Reapers as like, I dunno, "benevolent???" robots "just looking out for the galaxy in a misguided way" made absolutely no sense since for literally the entire past three games, the Reapers went about their business in what I can honestly describe as the most gratuitously malicious manner as possible. Horrible torture, brutally slaughtering entire planets in a way so as to ensure maximum terror and suffering, literally mulching folks in order to build more robots.

Just thinking about that just makes me irrationally angry.

That's what I've been saying. You can't try to make your antagonists into "misguided guardians" in the last few minutes of the series when they spent every moment before that stomping out the galaxy in the most unnecessarily cruel method they could possibly come up with. Mechanical efficiency and efficient psychological warfare do not explain the many ways the Reapers went out of their way to show themselves as pure evil. It just shows how badly the writers screwed up for the entire game and that they tried to make up for it in the most intelligence-insulting manner possible.

Personally, I would have left the Reapers' motives as reproduction. The galaxy was their farm and they harvested it every so often. They might see using sentients as parts as doing them a favor, but don't expect us to see it that way just because some glowing brat spews some nonsense. It bugs me every time I think about it.

Waltzing Along posted:

How does the third and supposed final game in a trilogy have no ending done two years into the development cycle?

Terrible project management and unrealistic deadlines, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

there is an above-average book waiting to be written about the whole mess, I think

or probably more like a #longread

• Locked thread