Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Toadvine posted:

Didn't the cdc actually say that if you engage in risky behavior like getting wasted and foolin around then you should be on birth control in order to avoid alcoholic babies?

That's slightly more intrusive than just highlighting the risk.

Everything about medicine is intrusive, that's the way it works. It's also sound medical advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Toadvine posted:

Didn't the cdc actually say that if you engage in risky behavior like getting wasted and foolin around then you should be on birth control in order to avoid alcoholic babies?

That's slightly more intrusive than just highlighting the risk.

Really? Because it seems to me like they are basically saying the equivalent of 'people who play football often get injured, please wear pads while playing if you would like to minimize risk of injury.'

It's not like they're not saying don't play, they're just saying stay safe out there.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Roberto_Silencio posted:

shut the gently caress up

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I know next to nothing about birth control but I do know that some women get messed up when they take it? Maybe they're the ones taking umbrage at the cdc saying party women should be on birth control.

FishionMailed posted:

Really? Because it seems to me like they are basically saying the equivalent of 'people who play football often get injured, please wear pads while playing if you would like to minimize risk of injury.'

It's not like they're not saying don't play, they're just saying stay safe out there.

That's not a good metaphor for this situation but it's also not an ideal situation to begin with. I dunno why women keep babies in this day and age unless they're trying to start a family, something you're probably not shooting for if you're still out drinking and loving

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

lotta real frustrated posters in what is clearly a troll thread

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Toadvine posted:

I know next to nothing about birth control but I do know that some women get messed up when they take it? Maybe they're the ones taking umbrage at the cdc saying party women should be on birth control.

That's not a good metaphor for this situation but it's also not an ideal situation to begin with. I dunno why women keep babies in this day and age unless they're trying to start a family, something you're probably not shooting for if you're still out drinking and loving

Yeah some women don't handle BC very well and sometimes its hormonal effects can end up being a greater hassle than they are worth. On that note, many women take the pill to handle heavy periods + cramping and poo poo so that's why idiots who call women on the pill sluts are idiots!

Still though you might as well be mad at people telling you to wear a condom while loving because STDs.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I need feminism because I can't give up my wine for any amount of time

And BY THE WAY wine has ANTIOXIDANTS which can prevent CANCER so I think I'm justified in drinking while pregnant.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
It's like, you should take an ibuprofen after a night of drinking before you lay down, to avoid a bad hangover. You don't have to, but the consequences will be harder to deal with if you don't.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

lDDQD posted:

The plural of "surgeon general" is surgeons general. Which are what this thread is about now. Who among the many surgeons general is your favorite, and why?

just lol if you don't pick the Koop

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

just wear a loving rubber stop unloading in every girl's hotbox

abortion is going to be illegal soon anyway

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How is "Here are some tips to not make more tarded babies" such a hard and controversial topic?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Casimir Radon posted:

How is "Here are some tips to not make more tarded babies" such a hard and controversial topic?

drinking while pregnant just increases neurodiversity

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Casimir Radon posted:

Jezebel wants to ensure they have a future reader base.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Irradiation posted:

lol

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

mdm posted:

drinking while pregnant just increases neurodiversity

Irradiation posted:

Lmao

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Normally I'd just assume the OP was speaking ironically but based on past discussions with OP there's an actual possibility that they're being sincere and actually believe the CDC is being sexist by stating facts.

He's being a master troll. And it's great.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Irradiation posted:

:vince:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Irradiation posted:

:perfect:

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Irradiation posted:

Noice

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Volume posted:

I love my fetal alcohol syndrome baby and if you were a real feminist you would too

fetal alcohol syndrome is not a disability it isa different way of life a different ATTITUDE

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Helical Nightmares posted:

He's being a master troll. And it's great.

if by master you mean obvious and lazy sure

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax
I saw multiple people posting this and being mad about it on the 'book, friend.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Roberto_Silencio posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

While i originally intended this thread to be a joke it obviously wasn't funny so who cares; i'll be a bit serious. The beef people had with the anouncement isn't so much victim shaming as the misguided notion that the cdc and mayo clinic were attempting to police women's bodies and behavior by discussing the rise in fetal alcohol syndrome and ways to avoid it. The cdc basically said "hey if you're having risky sex and drinking heavily you might get a disabled baby, there's beens been a spike in cases of this and we should try to avoid it" and then the same kind of people who think doctors telling you to lose weight is sexist bodyshaming got angry about the cdc "judging" their behavior.

I personally thought this was so ridiculous it was funny, but instead it just made for a bad thread and i should feel bad.

Lol how tight was your butthole holding in the urge to make a long stupid post with your worthless opinion

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I appreciate your effort, Arbitrary C. I suspect it just went bad because you weren't clear in your initial opinion bringing you fire from people who both believe the babble about the CDC is stupid as gently caress and attribute it to you and the people who don't like their fucktarded opinions being discussed and/or mocked outside of their circles where they are in unified agreement that preventing disability is racist, sexist, ableist and/or kinkshaming.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Snark posted:

I appreciate your effort, Arbitrary C. I suspect it just went bad because you weren't clear in your initial opinion bringing you fire from people who both believe the babble about the CDC is stupid as gently caress and attribute it to you and the people who don't like their fucktarded opinions being discussed and/or mocked outside of their circles where they are in unified agreement that preventing disability is racist, sexist, ableist and/or kinkshaming.

I honestly had a hard time telling whether people were mad because they thought I sincerely believed the op or because I was obviously making fun of people who do.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
how dare you fetal alcohol babyshame me you misogynist doctors

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
It is amazing that none of the news coverage of this emphasized that the CDC found significant drinkage among people who were at the time trying to conceive. Similarly, there was no mention of the idea that the proper response to discovering that you're pregnant with a FAS-cist is to abort and try again with less drinking. Blame CNN, not the CDC.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
message from the JDHDCA (JDH Dick and Cock Agency) and the Yayo Clinic... If you engage in drinking and unprotected sex, give me a holler bb ;)

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

ArbitraryC posted:

I honestly had a hard time telling whether people were mad because they thought I sincerely believed the op or because I was obviously making fun of people who do.

People just see a lot of words and get mad, there doesn't have to be any other reason.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FishionMailed posted:

People just see a lot of words and get mad, there doesn't have to be any other reason.

More specifically it's a lot of words written by arbitraryc

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Mange Mite posted:

More specifically it's a lot of words written by arbitraryc

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Have you considered how bad your posting is?

Please reflect on this before posting anymore.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

can i just say like telling people not to smoke or drink alcohol while they’re pregnant is ableist and classist as gently caress and it needs to stop

first off the majority of smokers/substance abusers are from disadvantaged and poor backgrounds or are struggling with mental health issues and they use it as a coping method so to tell them theyre a bad person for doing that is both classist and ableist

the main argument against it is that your child will come out disabled but honestly if that happens so what??? whats wrong with that??? this whole mindset has deep loving roots in ableist thought process and im loving sick of it. like. why do you hate people with disabilities lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
op is a furry

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

This thing is legit blowing up on my FB and it makes me disdain the women who are whining about it

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

Recently they released a warning that abusing substances while having unprotected sex could lead to babies with birth defects. Compounding this violation of women autonomy, the mayo clinic supported the patriarchy by pointing out binge drinking didn't couple well with behavior that led to accidental pregnancy, citing such misogynistic stats as a rise in fetal alcohol syndrome.

What do you think about health professional's war on women?

I think you'll find they are actually misandrist, because they think only women can be mothers

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

can i just say like telling people not to smoke or drink alcohol while they’re pregnant is ableist and classist as gently caress and it needs to stop

first off the majority of smokers/substance abusers are from disadvantaged and poor backgrounds or are struggling with mental health issues and they use it as a coping method so to tell them theyre a bad person for doing that is both classist and ableist

the main argument against it is that your child will come out disabled but honestly if that happens so what??? whats wrong with that??? this whole mindset has deep loving roots in ableist thought process and im loving sick of it. like. why do you hate people with disabilities lol

No one is obliged to have kids and knowing loving up your kid is hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

a happy snowman posted:

This thing is legit blowing up on my FB and it makes me disdain the women who are whining about it

im sorry you have idiot friends

• Locked thread