Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Matt won me over being in episodes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episodes_%28TV_series%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DrVenkman posted:

We're basically the kid who really wants to be picked for the team and when we're not we pretend we didn't want to play to begin with.

Plus it's not like we could ever win since the rest of Europe hates us anyway.

Europe loves the UK, don't be silly. We lose because what we send is absolute trash. As you say, we constantly send something bad and then complain that it didn't win then say we didn't like it anyway.

Eurovision is no less a joke than the huge pile of TV talent shows we have. At least it has original songs from all over that might be interesting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah we submit some awful stuff to EuroVision. I don't care for it and I know this common knowledge.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
How is all the other stuff "not awful"? Most of the other songs are as ridiculous as ours

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

thehustler posted:

How is all the other stuff "not awful"? Most of the other songs are as ridiculous as ours

We mostly completely lack the sense of adventure and showmanship that others do. We send bland pop songs along and totally lack personality. Arguably, Bucks Fizz was the last 'fun' entrant we did. Saying that, holy poo poo but Katrina & The Waves won it their year.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 8, 2016

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012
I think the better eurovision stuff is usually either good but boring or stupid but funny. The UK tends to split the difference and send something that is boring without being good and stupid without being funny.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We'll never be as good as men pretending to be a boat.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
The channel 4 "hacked signal" alien poo poo is starting to piss me off. Just tell me what the show is or gently caress off.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CherryCat posted:

The channel 4 "hacked signal" alien poo poo is starting to piss me off. Just tell me what the show is or gently caress off.

It's very clearly a lovely Ch4 sci-fi where aliens serve as a metaphor for our feelings about immigrants.

AKA what District 9 did a million times better 7 years ago

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

We'll never be as good as men pretending to be a boat.

It could only go downhill from there really.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Kate Williams is lovely on Insert Name Here, I'm glad they kept bringing her back

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I had a date with an American chick a couple weeks back and after we watched TV (she has not been in the country very long). I put BBC on, and after just 5 minutes of watching a programme she said, "Wow doesn't British television have any tv commercials?" One of the cutest things I've ever heard.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's very clearly a lovely Ch4 sci-fi where aliens serve as a metaphor for our feelings about immigrants.

AKA what District 9 did a million times better 7 years ago

Yeah, it's so obvious, I wonder what the point of making them aliens is. I feel like if you're going to do something like that you should really have the budget to have "aliens" who don't look identical to normal humans.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Could be like the aliens in V

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
War and Peace was good overall, though it might have made a bit more sense if it was a couple of episodes longer and it could have stood to lose some bits eg the world's most emotional potato eating scene. The rest of it worked fairly well, you could actually care about the characters and the effects, costumes, sets etc were p amazing.

8/10 would watch at least two more episodes

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

XMNN posted:

and it could have stood to lose some bits eg the world's most emotional potato eating scene.

You don't know how wrong you are.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

CherryCat posted:

Not as bad as those time filler adverts with the Muslim drag queen singing and lots of inspiring images of gay people kissing and disabled people smiling. It's so bad it's almost like a parody of Channel 4 that some a right wing comedian would come up with.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

CherryCat posted:

It's so early 90s. It's not even as good as when Freeview were doing it in their ads before Christmas.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Yeah it looks well gash. "The Aliens" is one of the most gormless titles by committee I've heard in a while, too. Pleased enough with the alien/spacey scifi resurgence in pop culture though.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Humans showed them that there's a fairly big market for awfully tired SF-for-people-who've-never-seen-any-SF-before and that lovely titles work too.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Yeah, I'm still happy enough to give it a chance just in case the writing's better than the marketing. Fingers crossed that woman holding the xxxl tshirt in those hip happening totally relevant yoot targeted ads gets zapped by space lazers in the first three minutes and a more tolerable character runs through her human dust.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

XMNN posted:

War and Peace was good overall, though it might have made a bit more sense if it was a couple of episodes longer and it could have stood to lose some bits eg the world's most emotional potato eating scene. The rest of it worked fairly well, you could actually care about the characters and the effects, costumes, sets etc were p amazing.

8/10 would watch at least two more episodes

Could have done with a bit more war and a bit less peace but it was really well done.
The acting was particularly brilliant, loved it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think considering the scale they had to take on and with the budget they had they did the war stuff quite well. Their Napoleon is an interesting choice I might add.

Also, word of warning for those who don't want to asked awkward questions full frontal pasty dongs flopping around in episode 5.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, word of warning for those who don't want to asked awkward questions full frontal pasty dongs flopping around in episode 5.

Sounds good to me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Stabbatical posted:

Sounds good to me.

Glorious Imperial Army Tradition.

Sadly don't expect the pretty looking lead characters in this scene. I hope you like nude reinactors and extras!

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

PlantHead posted:

The acting was particularly brilliant, loved it.

Agreed, and it's also one of the most beautiful-looking things I've seen on TV.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just seen the trailer for a new BBC adaptation of a John le Carrré novel: The Night Manager. Looks promising, but it's another Beeb series with just six parts...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Six is a good number for a novel, and British telly will never regularly produce enough episodes to go to syndication so get over it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
IMO eight to ten the ideal number for television - long enough to give room for story arcs and character development, not so long as to require loads of filler.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The cast for The Night Manager is ridiculous. And it's good seeing the BBC adapting something that won't just turn into a costume drama.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

That last RHLSTP with Ray Peacock gets really hosed up. I'm not sure if they should have put it out. Was anyone there and know if there's been stuff cut?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Happy Valley is back and grim as ever.

Absolute garbage, but hilariously grim.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Cerv posted:

That last RHLSTP with Ray Peacock gets really hosed up. I'm not sure if they should have put it out. Was anyone there and know if there's been stuff cut?

What happens in it? Does Richard cock up another interview?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Does Ray Peacock talk about a previous suicide attempt?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Yep. And gets into an argument with an audience member who accuses him of being sexist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Happy Valley is back and grim as ever.

Absolute garbage, but hilariously grim.
So... I should watch?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Cerv posted:

I"m pretty sure he said in the intro there was quite a lot cut.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Cerv posted:

Yeah it was pretty uncomfortable. I got the feeling Rich didn't really know what to do about it, as he wouldn't be able to just put nothing out after the show (I mean as it would be a hole in the schedule and there's everyone in the audience), but the tone and material was just poisoned at that point and there wasn't much he could do, either on stage or in post.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 10, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sounds pretty interesting tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hugely confused between the above and Harry Peacock/Ray Purchase. I'd like to know more about that guy.