Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I just got home and watching the speech. I'm glad to be wrong about everything and I really hope he doesn't do a Flair. Also I really hope AJ gets a decent Mania match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

RBX posted:

I just got home and watching the speech. I'm glad to be wrong about everything and I really hope he doesn't do a Flair. Also I really hope AJ gets a decent Mania match.

Aj vs miz vs Jericho triple threat come on baby!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
So, uh, I just watched Wrestlemania XXX on the recommendation of basically everyone. Holy poo poo.

How the gently caress did it get from something so utterly amazing to the miserable pile of garbage we're at now?

I'm asking seriously here, what happened? I know there's been an absurd amount of injuries to, like, everyone of importance, but that doesn't explain things like the main face of the company (as in, babyface, not "main person") being handled in the worst possible way as compared to what they did with Bryan there, or the Wyatt Family turning from creepy motherfuckers to the guys from duck dynasty, or how the only good parts of the WWE right now are AJ Styles matches, The Miz doing his stuff, the New Day, and R-Truth.

Didn't they learn anything from the positive reaction to letting the crowd favorite be the main guy? Even if everyone else is dead, Ambrose is easily more liked than Reigns and has a hell of a lot more personality to him.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
I think the crowd basically started ruining angles they wanted D Bry to win so much. They don't like anyone right now enough to actively be like gently caress this crap I paid money for this and boo so loudly the arena PA is drowned out.

Well except Bryan who retired today ffs.

And their desire to get Reigns over is dumb because they had a chance to get him organically over during the Rumble Batista won. And then a year later forced his push over Bryan's last run. Which loving ruined him. He was actually waaaaaaay over before they put him over DB.

MacDougall fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 9, 2016

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ostentatious posted:

i heard titus lost to adam rose??

Titus tried to shoot on Vince during the aftershow and quickly submitted.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Frankston posted:

Pleased to see that Ziggler beat Owens aga
Hey people complain all the time when the WWE does "Guy loses on Raw, then wins on the next week 50/50 BS"

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Like many, I'm both sad that I'll never see Bryan wrestle again, but also happy he's going to move on with a chance of a healthy life. Wrestlemania XXX was the best show ever, thank you Daniel Bryan.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Apparently a dude get thrown out of the show for screaming the NA NA NA NA HEY HEY GOODBYE song during Bryan's retirement speech. Security swooped in and grabbed him.

Anyway, I'm happy that Bryan's leaving before he gets injured badly enough for it to really mess up his life. Dude deserves to leave the company as healthy as he can. HOF 2017 probably.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 9, 2016

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
with this build getting super hot if they don't do Ambrose vs. Lesnar at Mania they're nuts

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Please apologize to Dr. Maroon.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I am deeply sorry, Dr. Manhatten.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GeneX posted:

So, uh, I just watched Wrestlemania XXX on the recommendation of basically everyone. Holy poo poo.

How the gently caress did it get from something so utterly amazing to the miserable pile of garbage we're at now?

I'm asking seriously here, what happened? I know there's been an absurd amount of injuries to, like, everyone of importance, but that doesn't explain things like the main face of the company (as in, babyface, not "main person") being handled in the worst possible way as compared to what they did with Bryan there, or the Wyatt Family turning from creepy motherfuckers to the guys from duck dynasty, or how the only good parts of the WWE right now are AJ Styles matches, The Miz doing his stuff, the New Day, and R-Truth.

Didn't they learn anything from the positive reaction to letting the crowd favorite be the main guy? Even if everyone else is dead, Ambrose is easily more liked than Reigns and has a hell of a lot more personality to him.

Sometimes Vince gets an idea in his head and won't let it go. You can look at say, Wrestlemania... 28? and see that. Or was it 29 when Rock and Cena redid their stupid rear end match and the crowd poo poo all over it? It may've been 29.

Miz's wrestlemania entrance video, when he was champ, if you know the dude's background history, was Amazing. And then they had him jump through inflated letters to actually come out because they could.

The ending of Wrestlemania 30 had pretty much everyone hoping for new, better programming. A few PSP goons said "nah in a year or two it'll be the same old poo poo" and they were right.

They're always right.

I miss DB. I'm glad he's gonna go make babies.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Apparently a dude get thrown out of the show for screaming the NA NA NA NA HEY HEY GOODBYE song during Bryan's retirement speech. Security swooped in and grabbed him.

Anyway, I'm happy that Bryan's leaving before he gets injured badly enough for it to really mess up his life. Dude deserves to leave the company as healthy as he can. HOF 2017 probably.

From a friend who was there: they swooped in and grabbed him because the crowd noticed and one dude took a swing at him, more dudes were coming to help out, and they got his crazy stupid rear end out of there before he died under angry, angry seattle people.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GeneX posted:

The problem was that about two months after WM30, Bryan left for neck surgery at MITB, and he disappeared. A lot of people wanted to cap his win at WM off with a long title reign, but that didn't happen.

As a result, there's been a cloud over the ME babyface picture for Reigns and Ambrose where they're or had been fan favorites, but they weren't Daniel Bryan, and fans started to get testy when they got close to the ME title picture. It's somewhat less apparent in 2014, since Cena won the title at MITB, and then Lesnar killed him at Summerslam, and the title basically disappeared between Night of Champions and the Royal Rumble.

Most people were more OK with Dean because he wasn't Roman, and hadn't been predominantly featured in that almost-ME role.

Bryan coming back from surgery just in time for the Royal Rumble was horribly mistimed, since they really didn't want to work an extended program with the guy who just spent 8 months on the shelf with neck problems back in the world title picture. So instead, Roman wins the Rumble that people wanted Bryan to, and it really pissed off the crowd. Up until that point mind you, Roman had been getting a ton of pure babyface reaction and not settling into what's been more or less Cena's reaction.

They scramble to at least attempt to fix this by putting Roman/Bryan at Fastlane, so there's at least a reason why Bryan isn't in the title hunt, and fans hate it, even though it was a great match.

Bryan moves onto do an IC title program which pisses off the fans, while Roman goes onto face Brock. The ME is only salvaged by Seth Rollins running out to cash in MITB.

Shortly after that, Bryan suffers a concussion during a European tour, and gets sent home. He vacates the IC title which later sets up the IC Elimination Chamber match.

The rest of 2015 is people wanting Bryan to destroy Rollins, as he's fed a stream of people not named Roman Reigns. By the time of Survivor Series, people did want to see Roman kill Seth, but Seth fucks up his knee, and instead we're forced into a tournament which didn't really help matters.

But basically its been a lot of really lovely luck and timing and Vince setting up his WM card way far in advance, and scrambling after plans changed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The failure to do anything interesting with Seth Rollins last summer was the absolute worst.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

The rest of time is people wanting Bryan to destroy everybody, but never getting to see him again.

ftfy

The biggest problem with Rollins/Reigns is that they're going to need to go deeper than "I want a belt and look at me try to do the Rock's smile so maybe people will stop booing me?" "no it's my belt and you can't have it and also I'm a slimy corporate worm". I figure Rollins can, hell maybe Reigns can too, but the writers are loving garbage or the wrestlers are. Somebody isn't actually making Rollins/Reigns interesting and I know we're going to be back at that when Rollins comes back. Hence why I'm talking about it in future tense. I don't know who it is, and I really don't care. I just don't want to watch them have some stupid rear end belt tug of war (literal? figurative? who knows.) and I want them to actually stir some emotions in the crowd. Neither of them manage to do this other than "that sure is a match".

The crowd doesn't always have to get what they want. The problem is that they never get what they want. Hell, if they leave the building loathing the heel, it's a good thing. If they leave going "meh" or wanting the heel to literally die over a pit of coals and pirahnas, not so much. It's frustrating because somehow WWE thinks it's our fault we're going "meh" at their ideas and if we'd just sit back and enjoy their product instead of bitching, maybe we wouldn't go meh. Somebody in the back doesn't understand that you can't blame the fans for having opinions that are opposite what that person wants to see. And it's making the product garbage.

They do this for a while. It'll quit eventually, GeneX.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Rollins pretty much was the last major heel/face turn there's been on the male roster in ages. I think that's one of the reasons the writing feels kinda stagnant.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

now that Bryan's officially gone, the fans can finally get behind The Samoan Dragon Roman Reigns

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ayn rand hand job posted:

Bryan coming back from surgery just in time for the Royal Rumble was horribly mistimed, since they really didn't want to work an extended program with the guy who just spent 8 months on the shelf with neck problems back in the world title picture. So instead, Roman wins the Rumble that people wanted Bryan to, and it really pissed off the crowd. Up until that point mind you, Roman had been getting a ton of pure babyface reaction and not settling into what's been more or less Cena's reaction.

The thing about the rumble too that you didn't fully touch on is that it's not like Bryan lost the rumble after a valiant effort from like entry 5 to final 4. He was knocked out extremely unceremoniously after 10 minutes in the rumble, 1 elimination and basically no real spots.

It was like a targeted "gently caress you Bryan fans" to many.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 9, 2016

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Godspeed you odd looking goatman who is Best At Wrestling.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So question:

If Bryan got one more test that showed his brain is damaged...what does that mean? Obviously he can't wrestle anymore but what about actual living? How affected will that be? Will his condition just worsen over time? Does it get better over time just from stopping wrestling? Do we have another Benoit on our hands, god forbid?

I know these are questions no one here can really answer per se, but hearing "my brain isn't good" really can't stand as a statement on its own without follow-up questions, ya know?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

As much as I hate people being thrown for stating their opinion, this is one time I'm glad the WWE shut somebody up.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Alain Post posted:

The failure to do anything interesting with Seth Rollins last summer was the absolute worst.

Like everything, Rollins was best with New Day. Every time they'd show up he was angry but by the end of it he was 100% into their shenanigans.

fart blood posted:

So question:

If Bryan got one more test that showed his brain is damaged...what does that mean? Obviously he can't wrestle anymore but what about actual living? How affected will that be? Will his condition just worsen over time? Does it get better over time just from stopping wrestling? Do we have another Benoit on our hands, god forbid?

I know these are questions no one here can really answer per se, but hearing "my brain isn't good" really can't stand as a statement on its own without follow-up questions, ya know?

The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Because there's a porcupine around and we're concerned for their safety.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

fart blood posted:

So question:

I don't think even doctors can be sure of the long-term effects of CTE and it affects everyone differently, because every concussion is different. Could he go all Benoit? Maybe, but it seems unlikely at this point.

With brains, damage done is damage done. The brain can find other ways to do what it needs to do (and therefore appears to 'heal' itself), but this isn't an ideal situation and determining the extent of these alternate pathways is the basis for this new concussion test from what I understand from Dave's analysis.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

fart blood posted:

So question:

It's an increased risk factor for bad things, but you never know. Some football players and wrestlers have good cognition later in their lives, some deteriorate early, some fall off a cliff late in life.

I certainly don't think you can predict the kind of thing Benoit did, but Benoit was also A Bad Person who abused Nancy and poo poo like that. Nothing like that has come out about Bryan so far.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bryan should become the new Sheriff of Raw and he rides out on his fixie and throws some jabronie in the Yes Lock and leaves.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fart blood posted:

So question:

I saw an X ray the other day of a athlete who'd been diagnosed with CTE in a preview for a investigative report that the Canadian version of 60 minutes was doing. It was really hosed up. My greatest hope is that he never comes back in a physical capacity, EVER. For once, the WWE using strong-arm tactics might actually do somebody some good. My understanding of CTE is that it never really heals, the best you can do is find ways to slow down the negative effects through monitoring, therapy and medication.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Please don't murder anyone daniel

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010
In non Daniel Bryan related news. WWE are doing a fantastic job of building up to Dean Ambrose vs Brock Lesnar at Fastlane.

Also there's some random Samoan dude who keeps hanging around them, dunno why.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
The worst thing DB will do in retirement is maybe put some neighborhood dogs that wander into his yard in various exotic submission holds.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Was there never any plan for Bray V Brock at Mania? It felt like that was what the Rumble was hinting at.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

electric funeral posted:

The worst thing DB will do in retirement is maybe put some neighborhood dogs that wander into his yard in various exotic submission holds.

Do his neighbors have any cattle?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

OldTennisCourt posted:

Was there never any plan for Bray V Brock at Mania? It felt like that was what the Rumble was hinting at.

It was also hinting at KO vs AJ or Zayn. But instead we are getting Bray vs Ryback and Endless The Dolph Ziggler Nightmare.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Do his neighbors have any cattle?

:golfclap:

Nice work, took me a second to get it, but nice work

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Man, Brock vs. Dean 1 on 1 would be a fantastic brawl.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I just ran into Dean Ambrose in a downtown Seattle Walgreens, made a dumb fanboy out of myself, and he was in no mood to meet a fan at 7:30 a.m. But I bring it up because I found him in the liquor section, of course. It was just perfect. :allears:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
meeting an annoyed Dean Ambrose buying liquor at in 7:30 in the morning does seem like the correct way to meet Dean Ambrose, you did good

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Given that I've heard that Daniel Bryan's still under contract for awhile, I wouldn't be surprised if he became the Raw or Smackdown GM in the near future and held that role for awhile. The Authority has been running things for well over two years, which is an eternity in wrestling time, and who better to replace them than the B+ player they tried to keep down. It's also a pretty classy way for the company to show some appreciation for Bryan and give him more money than whatever a legends/"be available when we randomly want you for a segment" contract pays. Hell, you could even do it with the authority still in charge, they'd just send him to run Smackdown and occasionally come down there to sneer at him, meanwhile he keeps building it into a better and better show.

Bryan's shown he can do a real good promo, good backstage stuff, and it's not like limitations on what a GM can do physically have stopped dudes like Foley from playing that role well. If not a GM, then I hope we get his version of wacky heel Stone Cold doing crazy backstage stuff, like Austin did toward the end of his career. I think Bryan draws in extra ratings and can just overall improve any show he's on regularly even in a non-wrestling role, and WWE would be foolish to keep him on a contract and not use him.

This is all assuming Bryan's interested in traveling and appearing on shows fairly frequently in a non-wrestling role, of course.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I just ran into Dean Ambrose in a downtown Seattle Walgreens, made a dumb fanboy out of myself, and he was in no mood to meet a fan at 7:30 a.m. But I bring it up because I found him in the liquor section, of course. It was just perfect. :allears:

Hahaha did he just say "gently caress off" while you geeked out? I'm picturing him just looking at a bottle of Jim Beam and not looking at you while saying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I hope you bring this along to a perfect awkward fan circle by going to a signing he's having at axxess or something and giving him a Walgreens giftcard.

• Locked thread