Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Stuttering is not any worse than say fallout 4 or when halo auto saved back in the day. Unfortunate but it isn't a twitch shooter. I'm loving the story/banter so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Anyone have any opinion on how well this runs on a Mac?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

MrBond posted:

I'm on Mac. The game won't start if I have an HDMI cable plugged in, and when it does start, I have to mouse half a page below the menu items to select any of them.

I'm downloading it on my PC as we speak.

Edit: runs better on my Windows machine already, but I'm going to try the Mac again later

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 9, 2016

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Already crying 10 minutes in, thanks a lot, assholes.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I think I missed a lot of side content since I was so into the story that I just kept going from one mission point to the next in a fairly linear fashion. It's really a fantastic game and I did really love the story but I do have to say that the ending left me feeling empty. Not in a bad way of course.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

spaceships posted:

ps4 stutter is most definitely a thing.

game is still fuckin spectacular

How bad is it? I bought the game at work so I won't have a chance to play it for a few more hours.

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

MrBond posted:

Just played through this on a late 2015 imac, had to tune down a lot of the graphic options to mid/low to get the framerate to something acceptable but still not very smooth.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

The REAL Goobusters posted:

How bad is it? I bought the game at work so I won't have a chance to play it for a few more hours.

it's not an issue; if (when) there are a few in a row, it's an issue.

edit: edited for clarity

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just got through Day 1. What a drat fine, lovely little game this is. I could listen to the dialogue while idly walking about for hours.

I wonder if it's hoping too much that they'll do a spoilercast episode of Idle Thumbs for it? Or is that gauche as gently caress?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

On Linux, you'll need to do
code:
ln -s ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Firewatch/firewatch_Data/ ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Firewatch/Data
to get it to run. Even after the fix they pushed out for the issue of the game binary's name not matching what Steam was trying to run.

Not much testing of the Linux build, apparently...

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Just got through Day 1. What a drat fine, lovely little game this is. I could listen to the dialogue while idly walking about for hours.

I wonder if it's hoping too much that they'll do a spoilercast episode of Idle Thumbs for it? Or is that gauche as gently caress?

There are so few mentions of Firewatch on Idle Thumbs that I feel like that has to be a pretty big worry for them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Finished it, playtime clocked at 4 hours on the minute. drat fine game, I could really feel my influence on the dialogue affecting Hank and Delilah's relationship. The story in general was very well-written as was, obviously, the dialogue itself. Beautiful graphics too. It's very hard to make "walking through the woods listening to a conversation" entertaining, and yet it never got old the entire time. Very, very good, definitely worth the money.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

CJacobs posted:

Finished it, playtime clocked at 4 hours on the minute. drat fine game, I could really feel my influence on the dialogue affecting Hank and Delilah's relationship. The story in general was very well-written as was, obviously, the dialogue itself. Beautiful graphics too. It's very hard to make "walking through the woods listening to a conversation" entertaining, and yet it never got old the entire time. Very, very good, definitely worth the money.

:siren:Ending Spoilers for a very minor thing:siren:

Did you look at the picture in Delilah's tower? I told her Henry wears a tux and had a thin mustache and scar so there he was in a tux with a thin mustache and scar. Turt Reynolds was there too. It's super adorable.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Just finished it. Steam says it took me 3 hours, but I felt like it was closer to 4. I took my time and examined everything I could possibly find.

Beautiful game, lovely soundtrack, charming dialogue and a story that kept me playing through it all in one sitting to find out what was going on. I never got tired of exploring the wilderness, listening to the conversations between Henry and Delilah and checking out the scenery. While it is short, I would definitely say I enjoyed the experience for the money.

Is it just me or does a certain item - the camera - serve no purpose whatsoever? I used it a few times, but I'm not sure what the point was.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowman posted:

:siren:Ending Spoilers for a very minor thing:siren:

Did you look at the picture in Delilah's tower? I told her Henry wears a tux and had a thin mustache and scar so there he was in a tux with a thin mustache and scar. Turt Reynolds was there too. It's super adorable.

Yes, it was great. :allears:

Wreath of Barbs posted:

Is it just me or does a certain item - the camera - serve no purpose whatsoever? I used it a few times, but I'm not sure what the point was.

You have a new option on the main menu you should look at.

edit: Something I am curious about, which people who acted this way might be able to answer (endgame spoilers): Do you actually have to tell Delilah about your wife at some point, or does the game never make you? I noticed that the game gave me lots of opportunities near the beginning and I decided to be upfront about it because honesty is a good policy and all- but I also noticed that they didn't ever force the conversation on me until after I was honest. If you don't tell her when she asks... for people who held out as long as possible, when does it come up?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 9, 2016

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You have a new option on the main menu you should look at.

Oh hey, yeah, I didn't notice that. The option itself doesn't seem to work correctly at the moment, at least not for me, but it'll be nifty when it does.

CJacobs posted:

edit: Something I am curious about, which people who acted this way might be able to answer (endgame spoilers): Do you actually have to tell Delilah about your wife at some point, or does the game never make you? I noticed that the game gave me lots of opportunities near the beginning and I decided to be upfront about it because honesty is a good policy and all- but I also noticed that they didn't ever force the conversation on me until after I was honest. If you don't tell her when she asks... for people who held out as long as possible, when does it come up?

And on the same note: I wonder if anything at all changes if you remain completely professional with her in the dialogue or choose not to pack your wedding ring or the photo of Julia.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 9, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Wreath of Barbs posted:

Oh hey, yeah, I didn't notice that. The option itself doesn't seem to work correctly at the moment, at least not for me, but it'll be nifty when it does.

And on the same note: I wonder if anything at all changes if you remain completely professional with her in the dialogue or choose not to pack your wedding ring or the photo of Julia.

If you don't adopt that turtle then you're a monster :argh:

Really this game has so many nice touches and small details. I want to do another runthrough sometime and see what all I missed since I didn't explore that much.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Cowman posted:

If you don't adopt that turtle then you're a monster :argh:

Really this game has so many nice touches and small details. I want to do another runthrough sometime and see what all I missed since I didn't explore that much.

I don't care how it changes the game, Turt Reynolds is my truest friend.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Just curious, am I missing Antialiasing options somewhere? Pretty sure this is relatively low AA:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn't find the turtle

I think that the PS4 and Steam cheevos are a bit different, but apparently Brandon Boyer only hit 1 of them on his playthrough on PS4 whereas I got all of them on Steam.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Jesus christ, after all that buildup the ending was a big wet fart. The dialogue and visuals were great but it sorta fell flat for me..

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I missed the turtle but I did manage to rescue the raccoon trapped in the abandoned cabin stove.

Cool game. Do you get anything for collecting all the books? There are a batch by the same author that are conspicuously numbered, but I ended up finishing while still missing number 6, assuming there are 9 total.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Game hardlocked my PS4 while loading day 15. Not cool bro, not cool.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

40-Degree Day posted:

Jesus christ, after all that buildup the ending was a big wet fart. The dialogue and visuals were great but it sorta fell flat for me..

I'm going to agree only in the sense that I was hoping the skeleton would pop out and go "boo!"

Unrelated, I didn't interrupt the conversation Delilah had with a third party, but I don't think I caught it being followed up on. What's up with that?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
According to Steam this took me 2 hours. I'm guessing it was closer to 3 than 2 though. It was a nice little interactive story, apparently the end is the same no matter what dialogue you choose, thought the wording is different depending on the way you communicated. It's an interesting element and that would make for a cool thing to do in a communication class, have everyone play the game over a weekend and then ask everyone how they feel about the relationship of the characters by the end.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I...liked it? I think?

The dialouge and interactions were great, and definately the focus of the game, but the ending just kind of...dies. I feel like the writer wanted to focus on the characters with the plot being a background but it ties so much into it that the flaccid ending just really wrecks a lot of good will for me :/

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Wow. I really enjoyed the hell out of this game. Such a nice change of pace for once. I didn't think the ending was a wet fart or a let down at all, everything seemed to be tied up pretty nicely. Curious to know what people's complaints are about it?

End credits were great too thanks to the music and the fact that you get a little slideshow of all the photos you took... and then the photos of the kid and his dad. That was really cool.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone got the photo mode in the main menu to work? Only gives me an error message when entering my email.

Ending talk It was kind of anticlimatic but at the same time it was a good ending. It kind of put you in the space of Henry's mind where you expect there to be some giant government conspiracy (On the first trip beyond the cave gate I could have sworn I saw something that looked like the wall of a giant underground building when looking down at the dropped shoe) but in the end, both you and Henry discover at the same time that it was all caused by a single deranged man. The only thing that wasn't properly explained was how you managed to find the backpack with the cave key - even the hermit's notes describe shock that you found that key.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

ymgve posted:

Anyone got the photo mode in the main menu to work? Only gives me an error message when entering my email.

If you played it in one sitting, there is a steam update that came out sometime during my game. Quitting out, letting the patch go, and loading it back up fixed it for me.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I have to agree that the ending felt weak to me. I don't know what I was expecting exactly - the game delivered on characterization and dialogue, but the ending really didn't do it for me at all. In particular, the motivations of the responsible party felt inexplicable even after the reveal, which was as a result entirely unsatisfying.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Daedalus1134 posted:

If you played it in one sitting, there is a steam update that came out sometime during my game. Quitting out, letting the patch go, and loading it back up fixed it for me.

No, I got that patch. Before the patch I couldn't even enter my email. Now I can enter an email address, but it errors out after 25% of the progress bar.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I have to agree that the ending felt weak to me. I don't know what I was expecting exactly - the game delivered on characterization and dialogue, but the ending really didn't do it for me at all. In particular, the motivations of the responsible party felt inexplicable even after the reveal, which was as a result entirely unsatisfying.

I think what bothered me is It has no thematic relevance to Henry's story. How a father who neglected safety concerns for his son and getting him killed ties into Henry's inability to deal with his wife doesn't really click with me.

Edit:

ymgve posted:

No, I got that patch. Before the patch I couldn't even enter my email. Now I can enter an email address, but it errors out after 25% of the progress bar.
Worked for me, maybe their servers are overloaded.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
drat fine game.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Okay game.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Alrighty,didn't purchase the game thanks to ending chat. Got conned once already (*cough*Life is Strange*cough*). Shame,looked kinda fun. :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think what bothered me is It has no thematic relevance to Henry's story. How a father who neglected safety concerns for his son and getting him killed ties into Henry's inability to deal with his wife doesn't really click with me.

Edit:

Worked for me, maybe their servers are overloaded.

Henry didn't just poorly deal with his wife's illness, he says in the intro he felt that her forgetting him sometimes was related to how long he went between visits...then right after that he says he took the job in the middle of nowhere far from home. He's abandoning his wife because he can't handle watching her suffer. The dad neglected what's best for his son, he neglected what's best for his wife.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VolticSurge posted:

Alrighty,didn't purchase the game thanks to ending chat. Got conned once already (*cough*Life is Strange*cough*). Shame,looked kinda fun. :(

It's looking to be a very subjective thing. I enjoyed the ending a lot but I can see where people are coming from when they say it comes up a little short for the parking meter, so to speak. It is definitely not a reason to not buy the game.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Good turtle , good game.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I might do another playthrough or two to see what can change, maybe spot some of the stuff I missed, I did get Turt Reynolds but didn't spot any of the other animals aside from birds and the scripted buck at the beginning. I also had a few dialogue options where I put the item away when I meant to radio D about it which kind of annoyed me.

I'm also wondering about if you can not tell D about your wife or just leave it at "we broke up." I didn't expect her to guilt trip me a ton at the end, which definitely put me off the ending like some other people. I suspect that if you go down the right path you can get a better ending, but I'm not sure how to try it since we were really chummy by the time the first fire started (The Flapjack Fire) then most of the stuff after that seemed like I was trying to be on her side as much as possible, maybe I wasn't stoic and manly enough... That said, there were a few dialogue options that ended up being way off of what I thought they would be from the abbreviation, that probably hurt me a bit too.

I definitely enjoyed the game, even if I didn't like the ending I got.

Also, does the chain link fence and radio towers/tracking gear bother anyone else a ton? Ned really seemed to have a lot of resources at his disposal for somebody who hadn't been in civilization for 3~ years. Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I can't get back to an area I'm supposed to be in because it's literally disappeared. I fall through the world geometry indefinitely. Reloading doesn't change it. Where were the QA guys.

• Locked thread