Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

I was mainly thinking that the developers went for a straight-bi-gay setup for our gang of misfits here but I'm willing to wait and see if Venus will keep on being Shinji with the serial numbers filed off.

Don't be rude, Toho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

I was mainly thinking that the developers went for a straight-bi-gay setup for our gang of misfits here but I'm willing to wait and see if Venus will keep on being Shinji with the serial numbers filed off.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean but the immediate thought that sprung forth was "GET IN THE loving CLOSET, VENUS"

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
This game is loving going places and I really want to see where.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
huh, wow, that was way more affecting than i was prepared for, oops, wow,

Games should stop including music that isn't this game's soundtrack

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
It might be the music, but I'm really feeling for these teens

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my favorite track from the ost has yet to show up :buddy:

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

[SFX: God's siren is sounding.]

♀: ...the sirens are still going, a little.
♃: Does it sound worse to you?
♆: You're imagining—

[SFX: Radio static.]

The rooms fills up with static from our radios, and there's another sound mixed in with the static but none of us can tell what it is, whether it's music, or talking, or some sort of sound in between.

[MUSIC: Draining Neptune]

♀: The house radio...
♃: Is it the Captain? Or Group South?
♀: Is it god?
♆: It's not the devil, why aren't the sirens going off? What's wrong with it?
♃: I can't tell.
♀: I think the signal is too weak...
♃: Let's boost it.

Venus wraps his radio around the house radio, and Neptune plunges hers into the wood. Jupiter lights the coil of incense nestled in the middle of her speaker. It turns red, for a moment.

♀: I don't think anyone's signaling.

[SFX: More radio static.]

♀: Even the devil can use radio, you know...
♆: The devil 'could' do 'whatever' and if you worry about every little thing that's just another way he can get you. Don't you read Lewis?

Neptune's probably talking about C.S. Lewis. He's written several works on Christian theology, which is the focus of one of his most famous fictional works, The Screwtape Letters, in which a senior devil writes to his junior devil nephew on how to best tempt humans away from God. Oh yeah and he wrote Narnia too but whatever not relevant

♀: We're the only ones out here. There's no one else to come after.
♃: I don't hear anyone. What should we do?
♀: We could...
♀: We could ask god?
♆: Ugh.
♃: That sounds kinda...
♀: No, I promise, it's easy—we just need some extra wire, I just have to open up the radio box, and—
♆: Okay, as long as you do all the work I am fine with it.
♃: Someone should go get wire. Venus can stay here and tinker and one of us should spot for him.
♆: Ugh, I don't want to go back to the shacks.
♃: Rock, paper, scissors?
♆: Suuuuure.

♀ + ♆ / ♀ + ♃

The thread will vote to whisper in either Jupiter's ear or Neptune's ear the super secret ultimate technique to always win rock paper scissors. Venus and Neptune or Venus and Jupiter

Flac fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 20, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Venus and Neptune

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Tollymain posted:

my favorite track from the ost has yet to show up :buddy:

Speaking of the OST i forgot to mention: Alec said on twitter that loop in Victim is not morse code so theory debunked. But there is a surprise in one of the songs that I found recently that I'll be getting to later :mrgw:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
♀ + ♆

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
♀ + ♃

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
♀ + ♃

Flac posted:

Venus wraps his radio around the house radio, and Neptune plunges hers into the wood. Jupiter lights the coil of incense nestled in the middle of her speaker. It turns red, for a moment.
I love this. :pseudo:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
an awful lot of people are downloading the tracks from flac's tindeck account compared to the number of posters in this thread :v:

having difficulty deciding which choice to vote for

i still am not sure what exactly the radios each character carries happen to be. maybe they're not supposed to specifically be anything, maybe i'm just bad at figuring it out?

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Venus and Neptune

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hey, if it works it's not fake

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
♀ + ♃

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
♀ + ♃

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Venus & Neptune

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Venus and Neptune

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

♀ + ♃

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
venus and neptune

how long can this deadlock last :devil:

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.
♀ + ♆

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
♀ + ♃

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Sindai posted:

♀ + ♃

I love this. :pseudo:

Tollymain posted:

i think the most important thing to take away from this and other such odd details is that these aren't strange to the characters. it's just how this world works; superficially like ours, but very much not under the skin

e: except where it really matters, you dig?

I also ended up peaking ahead, the soundtrack is still fantastic

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Wow, the soundtrack is really great and after watching another LP, I'd call this whole game really good. It's amazing how much info about the setting and style (as it relates to the story) went right over my head.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maybe it was a poor choice of smiley but what I meant was that I love the crystal-incense-waves-are-real technology of the setting and the understated way it's presented, not that they're dumb kids or something.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Sindai posted:

Maybe it was a poor choice of smiley but what I meant was that I love the crystal-incense-waves-are-real technology of the setting and the understated way it's presented, not that they're dumb kids or something.

I'm honestly not interpreting it as this. I was getting a much creepier vibe from the camp: this is a thing they do that they've convinced the kids is real to put the fear of the devil in them. It's not like we've seen anything that couldn't have been faked, and they've been here before, so they could have been... I dunno, indoctrinated into it? Just a weird interpretation.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is not shyamalan's the village.

the devil is coming. the devil is almost here.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

He drat well better be. I've been enjoying the game's production values and atmosphere of creeping weirdness, but if the TRUE DEVIL turns out to be alcoholism/self-harm/drugs/sex/rock & roll then I am right out.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rangpur posted:

He drat well better be. I've been enjoying the game's production values and atmosphere of creeping weirdness, but if the TRUE DEVIL turns out to be alcoholism/self-harm/drugs/sex/rock & roll then I am right out.

wow spoilers

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Rangpur posted:

prediction: there is a real devil but it is also a metaphor for gay stuff, much like the giant robots on x-men are a metaphor for racism and prejudice while also being giant robots

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, as we all learned in elementary school, lighting incense is an excellent way to attract the occasional angel to help boost the performance of your radio, or your many other home electronics. However, angels definitely do not exist, and so no one will sell incense specifically for attracting angels. It's important, then, to keep in mind how you intend to use your incense, and avoid any charcoal-based incenses, which can cause short circuits and, of course, animate the occasional shadow.

Animated shadows also, definitely, do not exist. So if you see one, or hear one whispering its shadow-promises to you, you should notify the Sheriff's secret police immediately by lying very still, at which point the agent assigned to monitor the many hidden listening devices near you will become concerned by the sudden silence and investigate.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

alcharagia posted:

prediction: there is a real devil but it is also a metaphor for gay stuff, much like the giant robots on x-men are a metaphor for racism and prejudice while also being giant robots
This is also an acceptable result.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Glazius posted:

Yes, as we all learned in elementary school, lighting incense is an excellent way to attract the occasional angel to help boost the performance of your radio, or your many other home electronics. However, angels definitely do not exist, and so no one will sell incense specifically for attracting angels. It's important, then, to keep in mind how you intend to use your incense, and avoid any charcoal-based incenses, which can cause short circuits and, of course, animate the occasional shadow.

Animated shadows also, definitely, do not exist. So if you see one, or hear one whispering its shadow-promises to you, you should notify the Sheriff's secret police immediately by lying very still, at which point the agent assigned to monitor the many hidden listening devices near you will become concerned by the sudden silence and investigate.

This is exactly why this isn't this

brycepahatesyou
Nov 3, 2011

Glazius posted:

......ok I'm missing something here, do they actually do this crap at Christian camp?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Glazius posted:

Remember that incense should only be used in a properly licenced bloodstone circle. If you experience any angel hallucinations caused by improper incense use, report the incident immediately to the Sheriff's secret police. While waiting for help to arrive, check the bottom of the nearest manhole and chant the mantra written there as loudly as you can: "Angels do not exist. Angels do not exist. Angels do not exist."

It is a Welcome to Nightvale reference.

Melum
Oct 14, 2012
In my head I just think of this as taking place in the Magical Girl Realism genre.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that sounds like a good genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
comparing this game to nightvale seems sort of incorrect to me, although i can't say that i've listened to much of nightvale because i can't pay attention to podcasts to save my life. nightvale's sort of a comedy/conspiracy/magical realism thing, right? this game is not a comedy, nor are there any conspiracies per se

• Locked thread