Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I wonder when the S6 trailer is going to drop. It was January 30 last year but I know that the air date is a little later this year.
Still though I wonder if they're a bit behind in production given that I'm sure the writing process was harder this year without much source material to draw on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Whether Barristan dies or not he's already done much more in the books than he did in the show, leading the defense of Meereen and deposing of Hizdahr (against Dany's obvious wishes) are Big Things of the kind he's never done in the show, the duel against Hizdahr's pit-fighter body guard was likewise pretty freaking awesome.

All that will now be performed by Gray Worm. He has a love interest you see, and is therefore more interesting of a character. Except for Hizdahr, since I think he's dead now in the show too.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I'd rather see barristan with missandei grey worm is a lovely character to try to expand and we haven't seen barristan be all that bold yet

e: or I guess it would be more correct to say that we never got to see barristan be very bold :rip:

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

All that will now be performed by Gray Worm. He has a love interest you see, and is therefore more interesting of a character. Except for Hizdahr, since I think he's dead now in the show too.

Barristan dying like a dog only to be followed by Hizdhar (who was a... bad guy? good guy? who cares?)dying like a side character and supplanting them with Mysterious Baldy and The God Of Tits And Wine goes to show that we don't need to give a poo poo about Mereen; just the people in charge. Kinda like how a majority of the characters perpetuate. :ironicat:

Note: I like Varys & Tyrion as much as the next guy.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Dany's ADWD pov is dull because it introduces like 5 new important characters and like 3 new factions and doesn't really help distinguish any of them. I do like the Meereeneese Blot theory that Barristan is actually being outwitted by the Shavepate in deposing a totally honest Hizdahr, but that sort of nuance is easily lost if you don't pay very close attention to the story (and why would you? None of these new characters really distinguish themselves.)

Of course with Hizdahr being unceremoniously killed in the show, who the hell knows where that story goes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm guessing he's not the Harpy. The only problem is that there are a lack of viable people it could be since the show cut all those secondary characters. Maybe it really is Daario and he's one of the betrayals.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Show Hizdahr is a very tragic character, has his father murdered, forced into marriage with the woman who murdered his father who is also an insane despot who feeds innocent people to dragons, is publicly scorned and then humiliated by his wife's lover, gets murdered. the end.

It also makes Dany's big ole marriage plan look ridiculous, the harpies didn't give half a groat about Hizoo, why would marrying him appease them in any way? At least in the books he is proactive about some of this poo poo and does manage to broker a peace deal with Yunkai and supposedly stop the murders by the sons of the harpy, in the show he's just some pit fighting mogul.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Book Hizdahr was a puppet of the Harpy (the Green Grace) who was actively trying to bring back slavery. Deposing him was the correct thing to do, regardless of how inept Barristan is at politics.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do we know that the Green Grace (Gelato Galore?) wants to reinstall slavery? I thought she was just really shirty about Dany deciding to cruelly execute 163 aristocrats at random.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Kajeesus posted:

Do we know that the Green Grace (Gelato Galore?) wants to reinstall slavery? I thought she was just really shirty about Dany deciding to cruelly execute 163 aristocrats at random.

Well as soon as the marriage happens Hizdahr starts putting people more loyal to him and the old nobility in places where Dany's more anti-slavery people had been before, and they had been pushing bringing back slavery in all but name anyway (see the "selling yourself back into slavery" deal). We've already seen that the Yunkai'i reinstalled slavery when she wasn't an immediate threat, so with every day that goes by there's more chance that Hizdahr/his cronies open the gates to the lovely Yunkai'i army, have a big purge of the remnants of Dany's group, and it's back to business as usual in Slaver's Bay.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The word "Shavepate" is the thing I hate most about ASOIAF. And I hate a lot.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Show Hizdahr is a very tragic character, has his father murdered, forced into marriage with the woman who murdered his father who is also an insane despot who feeds innocent people to dragons, is publicly scorned and then humiliated by his wife's lover, gets murdered. the end.

It also makes Dany's big ole marriage plan look ridiculous, the harpies didn't give half a groat about Hizoo, why would marrying him appease them in any way? At least in the books he is proactive about some of this poo poo and does manage to broker a peace deal with Yunkai and supposedly stop the murders by the sons of the harpy, in the show he's just some pit fighting mogul.

Yeah, it's interesting how the show seems to give Daenerys the Tyrion treatment of making their goodness out to be unquestionable and sanding off most of the rough edges, but then Daenerys acts like Bowser or a Disney villain when it comes to Hizdahr.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm watching Season 1 again and Sam mentions that the reason the two rangers come back from the dead is that they were touched by White Walkers (its something he read in the Maester's book). Putting aside anything we think we know from the book, is there any chase Jon Snow actually comes back as some sort of Walker, at least at first? Maybe he gets killed again, burned and comes back after that?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Jon Snowhands?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

tadashi posted:

I'm watching Season 1 again and Sam mentions that the reason the two rangers come back from the dead is that they were touched by White Walkers (its something he read in the Maester's book). Putting aside anything we think we know from the book, is there any chase Jon Snow actually comes back as some sort of Walker, at least at first? Maybe he gets killed again, burned and comes back after that?

Maybe he's going to be an IceAndFire Zombie.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember when the show trolled everyone by mentioning Benjen in the previews? That still remains funny.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Within context of D&D... I suppose Jon Coldhands is a possibility. Or we get second life out of nowhere for safekeeping and Melisandre works her magic, with or without Ghost.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hope death changes Jon a lot, a lot of stuff happens to and around Jon but he hasn't really changed that much so far.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He got laid.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Kajeesus posted:

The Adventures of Belwas and Whitebeard

Barristan schooling the Son of the Titan or whoever with only a staff and then revealing himself was crazy awesome in the book. After last season I'm glad they never tried to do Belwas.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

Dany was only going to be introduced as a POV character in the second book. You were supposed to hear ominous news about a ruthless barbarian queen with dragons over the sea and the twist would be she's a conflicted teenage girl.

All of her chapters from book 1 were released as a short story collection a long time ago. I wonder if he literally wrote her story like, totally unrelated to anything else that happened in book 1 because it would explain so much

Beeez posted:

It is pretty funny how Daenerys is more of a horny freak than any of the teenage boys whose POV we get. But I would argue Daenerys' motivations are still in question, she's really just as self-serving and covetous of glory/what's hers "by rights" as Stannis is in ACoK, but tons of casual fans love her and view her as one of the most implicitly good characters, including the writers of the show. Meanwhile, in the books Daenerys' whole ADwD story was about how she isn't content with peace at all, leading to her embracing her "fire and blood" conqueror heritage and desires. People clearly have very different interpretations of her. I think mine's pretty spot-on but I'm sure many would disagree with most of it.
The show is pretty clearly starting to paint her in a more negative light, there is like, literal nazi imagery in her scenes now

computer parts posted:

It's because the first three books were basically "Act I" (I think this is literally true, and GRRM's original "book 1" in the trilogy covered about the same amount of events). At the end of Act I, you have everyone scattered about, the old order is blown up, and change is beginning to happen. In Act II, you react to the events of Act I, you get some development of the world, and then you start to roll forward towards the conclusion. In Act III you build up again, reach that conclusion, and finish.

I like this explanation simply because it gives me hope for the later seasons :) I actually still really like the show but any long running show runs out of steam eventually, especially if you're only doing 10 episodes a year. I think for a lot of casual watcher friends I have last year was the tipping point of them getting bored, they really need to start ramping up to the endgame

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Kevyn posted:

The word "Shavepate" is the thing I hate most about ASOIAF. And I hate a lot.

Yeah gently caress the names in this poo poo

There are like fifty characters named Skahaz mo Naznak or some variation thereof, all of equally dubious import/relevance

"Shavepate" is a really ugly, weird word to say. It's like the opposite of cellar door

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I thought the Shavepate (sorry) Skahaz was the only interesting character in Meereen, a ruthless bastard politican like Tywin only loyal to a character with some kind of morality. I also liked Roose back when I thought he was this creepy tyrant who nevertheless supported Robb so I'd be disappointed if Skahaz really was manipulating Barristan and had no real loyalty to anyone since it would just be the same thing again. But unfortunately that's probably the case.

Meereen would probably read better if there was at least one likeable Ghiscari but everyone there's a slaver who eats puppy foetuses. GRRM's written some very memorable characters who are only given one line but I can't think of anyone like that from Meereen other than Skahaz who I think is interesting but only because he's not likeable. The narrativer is predisposed to make us dislike them (their names are deliberately confusing, weird and unpleasant to read like Tolkein's black tongue and that Harzoo thing is their world's version of a racist joke) and GRRM obviously hasn't put as much thought into them as Westeros so they're not as fun to read about. I get that it's to make us feel as alienated as Dany and think their culture should probably be destroyed and this is wrong but it reads like an orientalist white saviour story played straight so we have no indication that they're redeemable. I'm told the world book is based on fantastical travelogues like Sir John Mandeville's that paint a ridiculous stereotypical version of the rest of the world but in the main story Meereen really is like that. Is there a Westeros character as ridiculous and one-dimensional as the Yellow Whale? Beyond the Wall maybe. If the point is to pull the curtain aside and say "haha! Westeros is just as bad" it doesn't work because that's not really true. The Seven Kingdoms are bad and has people like the Mountain but it also has people like Davos and Ned.

It's also probably a bad idea to add elements to your story which intentionally make them worse when you might take decades to get to the point.

Harold Stassen posted:

"Shavepate" is a really ugly, weird word to say. It's like the opposite of cellar door

Incidentally two characters' names are based on that: Salladhor and Septon Cellador at the Wall.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 10, 2016

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

I thought the Shavepate (sorry) Skahaz was the only interesting character in Meereen, a ruthless bastard politican like Tywin only loyal to a character with some kind of morality. I also liked Roose back when I thought he was this creepy tyrant who nevertheless supported Robb so I'd be disappointed if Skahaz really was manipulating Barristan and had no real loyalty to anyone since it would just be the same thing again. But unfortunately that's probably the case.

Meereen would probably read better if there was at least one likeable Ghiscari but everyone there's a slaver who eats puppy foetuses. GRRM's written some very memorable characters who are only given one line but I can't think of anyone like that from Meereen other than Skahaz who I think is interesting but only because he's not likeable. The narrativer is predisposed to make us dislike them (their names are deliberately confusing, weird and unpleasant to read like Tolkein's black tongue and that Harzoo thing is their world's version of a racist joke) and GRRM obviously hasn't put as much thought into them as Westeros so they're not as fun to read about. I get that it's to make us feel as alienated as Dany and think their culture should probably be destroyed and this is wrong but it reads like an orientalist white saviour story played straight so we have no indication that they're redeemable. I'm told the world book is based on fantastical travelogues like Sir John Mandeville's that paint a ridiculous stereotypical version of the rest of the world but in the main story Meereen really is like that. Is there a Westeros character as ridiculous and one-dimensional as the Yellow Whale? Beyond the Wall maybe. If the point is to pull the curtain aside and say "haha! Westeros is just as bad" it doesn't work because that's not really true. The Seven Kingdoms are bad and has people like the Mountain but it also has people like Davos and Ned.

It's also probably a bad idea to add elements to your story which intentionally make them worse when you might take decades to get to the point.

Incidentally two characters' names are based on that: Salladhor and Septon Cellador at the Wall.

I dont get the cellar door reference...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Supposedly it's the most pleasant-sounding/pleasant-to-say two words in the English language.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

Supposedly it's the most pleasant-sounding/pleasant-to-say two words in the English language.

according to who? how is that even possibly determined?

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

There is an entire Wikipedia article on this apparently

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm partial to "onomatopoeia" myself.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Harold Stassen posted:

There are like fifty characters named Skahaz mo Naznak or some variation thereof, all of equally dubious import/relevance

Someone here once pointed out that all the names are basically a variation on <xx> Moe Szyslak and now that's all I can read

I don't mind Shavepate, though I'm pronouncing the "-pate" to rhyme with "eight" and separating so that it's almost two words. Shave Pate. Doesn't seem too bad to me? :shrug:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

I don't mind Shavepate, though I'm pronouncing the "-pate" to rhyme with "eight" and separating so that it's almost two words. Shave Pate. Doesn't seem too bad to me? :shrug:

I think this is the intention, shaved heads and all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

webmeister posted:

Someone here once pointed out that all the names are basically a variation on <xx> Moe Szyslak and now that's all I can read

Wait, how the hell else is it supposed to be pronounced?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, how the hell else is it supposed to be pronounced?

I dunno, I was just breaking it down for the guy who thought it was super-awkward!

Remember this is the thread where several people didn't get that Damphair = Damp Hair

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

webmeister posted:

I dunno, I was just breaking it down for the guy who thought it was super-awkward!

Remember this is the thread where several people didn't get that Damphair = Damp Hair

True, but that I could at least see some confusion if they were reaaaaaaally looking for a fun way to pronounce it or a more subtle symbolism. Like Dhampir or something.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Shave Pâté? :v:

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Shave Crêpe

That wiki article on the history of the Cellar Door phrase mentions that the names of the Septa Celador and Sallador Saahn characters were inspired by it. Pretty neat

speshl guy fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 11, 2016

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TommyGun85 posted:

Donnie Darko

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Have some season 6 photos.

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/exclusive-pictures-season-6

Bran's definitely going to be a flashback machine....a tall flashback machine.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Surely Bran is standing up in that photo?!

Also looks like Brienne is at the wall in her picture?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Oh god they better not repeat that scene, poor Tommen :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How many pairs of googly eyes have we gotten? This is four?

• Locked thread