Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

I'm still having issues with my Logitech mouse on El Cap. It just randomly dies on me and only a reboot sorts it out -- but whenever Logitech Control Center shits itself, El Cap hangs permanently in a black screen when I try to reboot.

I looked at what clues Console might give and I only spotted this:
Is that the latest version? Otherwise people generally recommend against most third party manufacturer mouse drivers cause poo poo like that. What features are you using it for? The stock mouse control does limited button mapping to some features, otherwise there's a few other software options from smaller devs that have a better track record.

Rabid Snake posted:

My old late 2013 15" rMBP did the same thing and it had a NVidia GPU. It was eventually replaced for free due to Apple Care. I think Apple products just run a bit too hot due to the form factor.
And a while before that was the whole Nvidia recall/repair/whatever thing that hosed a lot of companies.

I for one welcome our quickly improving Intel IGP (and TB GPU) overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Rabid Snake posted:

My old late 2013 15" rMBP did the same thing and it had a NVidia GPU. It was eventually replaced for free due to Apple Care. I think Apple products just run a bit too hot due to the form factor.

I doubt this is why it happens. GPUs go out in desktop PCs, too, and the other big complicated hot chip in your rMBP (its CPU) kept on trucking with the same cooling. (Literally the same: Apple's 15" rMBP cooling design shares a single large heatpipe between CPU and GPU. If one gets hot, the other will too.) You hardly ever hear anyone complaining about MacBooks cooking their CPUs, and Apple lets them run hot.

This is just my humble opinion, but I believe that being able to rely on :pcgaming: ~gamers~ :pcgaming: replacing their GPU every year has given both AMD and NVidia a rather cavalier attitude towards long-term reliability. Why bother making sure it'll live at least 5 years when the user will replace it in 1 or 2 to get a few more frames in Call of Duty? Pushing for performance at the expense of reliability is actually a competitive advantage when targeting the 360 noscoper market.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Even more reason to hate the pc master race.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

The Mac Pro Video Issues program? Well, it's something to the effect of this:

In addition, the machine has to meet any combo or singular conditions: not powering up, distorted/flickering video, kernel panic/system crashes, or no video out.

No indication as to whether it's specific to the D300, D500, or D700. If a machine tests as bad, you gotta swap out BOTH cards. It's a pretty tedious procedure, too, the MP has to be put in a special stand, you gotta use special templates to apply thermal paste, use some weird calibrated torque tools...

Where did you find that quote, that's what I've been trying to figure out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Where did you find that quote, that's what I've been trying to figure out.

Maybe look here:

http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/06/apple-mac-pro-repair-program-graphics-video/

Looks like they have tippers who are probably AASPs.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 6, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BobHoward posted:

I doubt this is why it happens. GPUs go out in desktop PCs, too, and the other big complicated hot chip in your rMBP (its CPU) kept on trucking with the same cooling. (Literally the same: Apple's 15" rMBP cooling design shares a single large heatpipe between CPU and GPU. If one gets hot, the other will too.) You hardly ever hear anyone complaining about MacBooks cooking their CPUs, and Apple lets them run hot.

This is just my humble opinion, but I believe that being able to rely on :pcgaming: ~gamers~ :pcgaming: replacing their GPU every year has given both AMD and NVidia a rather cavalier attitude towards long-term reliability. Why bother making sure it'll live at least 5 years when the user will replace it in 1 or 2 to get a few more frames in Call of Duty? Pushing for performance at the expense of reliability is actually a competitive advantage when targeting the 360 noscoper market.

I think you're conflating the furthest edge of that market for the average user. Tons of people play computer games with a gpu that is a couple years old. Failure rates like you're implying would be a noticeable issue.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Maybe look here:

http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/06/apple-mac-pro-repair-program-graphics-video/

Looks like they have tippers who are probably AASPs.

What do you mean "maybe look here" if that's the exact link? That's all I was asking. Thanks.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The Mac Pro Video Issues program? Well, it's something to the effect of this:

In addition, the machine has to meet any combo or singular conditions: not powering up, distorted/flickering video, kernel panic/system crashes, or no video out.

No indication as to whether it's specific to the D300, D500, or D700. If a machine tests as bad, you gotta swap out BOTH cards. It's a pretty tedious procedure, too, the MP has to be put in a special stand, you gotta use special templates to apply thermal paste, use some weird calibrated torque tools...

Eh, you don't really need all of that. The template is all I've ever used, and it really isn't needed once you figure out where to apply. I'm sure that's not the Apple approved way to do it, but I've never had any issues.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Housh posted:

AMD/ATI is garbage. Apple needs to stop getting GPUs from them. They're recalling the 2013 Mac Pros now. I really hope the 2016 15" rMBP dGPU isn't AMD.

Because nvidia cards are perfect and the company is totally not a cancer on the industry

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I need my 3Dfx Voodoo graphics goddamnit

Seriously hope Intel integrated graphics take over.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Housh posted:

I need my 3Dfx Voodoo graphics goddamnit

Seriously hope Intel integrated graphics take over.

I sure as poo poo don't. Intel is a brilliant company but they're prone to dirty poo poo and I want some competitive pressure. AMD is currently failing and I'd hate to see what Intel would be like if they dominated everything.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

nVidia is responsible for MacBook Pro logic board recalls across three different models so they aren't above reproach either.

If Apple were smart they'd light a fire under the PowerVR guys and get them cracking on a desktop version of their GPU, or politely tell Intel to step it up on their own integrated GPUs.

The HD 5000s and up are right on the cusp of being competitive GPUs already, and the PowerVR guys were at CES were already showing off their latest GPU mounted on a PCIe card running graphic demos which while weren't groundbreaking, they claimed were running with a fraction of the power draw of the big boys.

There haven't been any recalls of Intel GPUs to my knowledge.. but we need competition to get Intel to become competitive or their offerings would still be poo poo, like the Intel GMA 950 that Minis and MacBooks had for three goddamn years.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

Probably not for OS X, but they probably will be supported in Windows 10 and later, since eGPUs will be ideal for firms that want to provide 3D modelers/drafters/designers/etc., since you could pare a decent i7 PC notebook with an eGPU and replace numerous mobile workstations, etc. and allow the eGPU to just sit on a deck and be connected as needed.

So I'm pretty hopeful that, with Boot Camp, we'll be able to take even a Retina Macbook, run Boot Camp, and have a decent little gaming machine with an eGPU in the future.

Are the DIY options generally broken or something? It seems fairly straightforward from a hardware perspective to buy a thunderbolt to pcie thing and plug a GPU into it and run Windows 10 now. Does that not work?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

SourKraut posted:

Probably not for OS X, but they probably will be supported in Windows 10 and later, since eGPUs will be ideal for firms that want to provide 3D modelers/drafters/designers/etc., since you could pare a decent i7 PC notebook with an eGPU and replace numerous mobile workstations, etc. and allow the eGPU to just sit on a deck and be connected as needed.

I'm hoping for this exactly, though I hope they end up with good OSX support. We have a three video editors here who each have a 15" MBP and an iMac. They like the power of the iMac at work, but find the laptops lacking on the road. They'd fall over themselves to have some sort of powerful add-on box that could replace the iMac on the desktop. If they were portable enough that one could be shared between them on the road it would be so perfect.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Just learned the new imac 5k JUST got wide gamut... without an srgb emulation mode

:psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:

Why apple? why? That means chrome is going to completely break color-wise. Im a web designer and i want to give you guys money. Until safari code inspector is actually worth a poo poo i cant just give up chrome. Google REALLY should fix their css srgb tagging but i feel like apple is letting me down here.

The year is 2016 and the human race cant figure out something as simple as "how should colors work on monitors?"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

coolskillrex remix posted:

Just learned the new imac 5k JUST got wide gamut... without an srgb emulation mode

Why apple? why? That means chrome is going to completely break color-wise. Im a web designer and i want to give you guys money. Until safari code inspector is actually worth a poo poo i cant just give up chrome. Google REALLY should fix their css srgb tagging but i feel like apple is letting me down here.

The year is 2016 and the human race cant figure out something as simple as "how should colors work on monitors?"

I'm not educated in various computer graphic design, but I do understand the importance of an sRPG profile -- could you not just download and apply one in Settings -> Display -> Color? Or is it more important that the hardware (monitor) does this natively?

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

I want to get a 12-inch MacBook to replace my first gen 15" retina. I pretty much only use my computer for work now, and that consists of safari and PowerPoint almost exclusively. I don't need the processing power of the quad core i7 anymore, I need the lightness and size for traveling.

I've been looking at the geek bench scores for the Core M in the current MacBook, and the new Skylake Core M and the new one doesn't really seem all that much better.

Should I still wait for an update? I don't absolutely need it right now, but if I can get a current gen 1.4/512/8 for 12% off refurbished and not miss much with the Skylake architecture I'd do it.

I just got one and really like it. I haven't had any issues running things like Matlab, Excel or PowerPoint. I was thinking the same way you are but figured whatever improvements the Intel M gets probably are not going to be that noticeable or worth the wait as opposed to getting a refurb.
The only complaint I have is I find the keyboard keys a bit too big, and keep hitting the wrong buttons.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

computer parts posted:

I don't really see external GPUs become a thing, especially for OS X.

I realize you're more saying "the next Macbook will also have [new feature]", but it just reminded me about that ever present discussion.
Speaking into that ever present discussion, this is the exact premise behind the Razer Blade Stealth Ultrabook.

I have a feeling you could even use the "Razor Core" external GPU cage for the next MacBook(s).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coolskillrex remix posted:

The Safari inspector is pretty decent, though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

kuskus posted:

Speaking into that ever present discussion, this is the exact premise behind the Razer Blade Stealth Ultrabook.

I have a feeling you could even use the "Razor Core" external GPU cage for the next MacBook(s).

Yeah, I remember watching the CES presentation. It's a pretty awesome concept as you get best of both worlds. I am debating if I want a Blade Stealth/Core setup or a maxed out 15" rMBP later this year. I have pretty much transitioned to Adobe CC so I wont miss FCPX and Win 10 isn't that bad. The Razor setup would obviously cost way more than a 15" w/dGPU but I am still waiting for detailed specs on the core.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Razer thing is probably going to be a buggy mess

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ew. The Stealth Ultrabook is limited to 8GB of ram. Nevermind...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

Are the DIY options generally broken or something? It seems fairly straightforward from a hardware perspective to buy a thunderbolt to pcie thing and plug a GPU into it and run Windows 10 now. Does that not work?
Most of the existing boxes are limited to low TDP cards, half length, and probably single width for all I know. The DIY methods to make them work involve hooking up a separate PC PSU outside the enclosure to power the card, and I think leaving the case open or hacking it up to fit the card. Or (according to a quick image search) apparently using a PCIe ribbon cable and just leaving the card outside the enclosure on your desk, or taking the enclosure apart to get to the PCIe slot and TB boards...to also leave loosely on your desk. (Alternatively you could make your own new enclosure for everything at that point)

Plus TB2 vs TB3 so they half the bandwidth, and this Razer one in particular also has USB ports and Ethernet.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

tuyop posted:

I'm posting in OS X on a Macbook Pro with my monitor that's hooked up to a 980 Ti, it works great!*

* Most of the time**.
** Once you get it set up.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sinestro posted:

I'm posting in OS X on a Macbook Pro with my monitor that's hooked up to a 980 Ti, it works great!*

* Most of the time**.
** Once you get it set up.

Can you talk about this a bit more please?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

mediaphage posted:

Can you talk about this a bit more please?
Seconded. I've watched some YouTube videos of people using it fine on bootcamp win10 but only able to get the GPU working with an external monitor in OSX and not the laptop monitor.

I hope OSX expands their support for these external thunderbolt GPU setups. I would love to purchase a 13" mbp instead of 15" and come home to dock it with a powerful GPU hooked to a nice big display.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Housh posted:

Seconded. I've watched some YouTube videos of people using it fine on bootcamp win10 but only able to get the GPU working with an external monitor in OSX and not the laptop monitor.

I hope OSX expands their support for these external thunderbolt GPU setups. I would love to purchase a 13" mbp instead of 15" and come home to dock it with a powerful GPU hooked to a nice big display.
I would imagine better support will probably come around the time that Thunderbolt 3/Skylake become more commonplace.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I'd highly recommend doing it this way.

Obviously, there are a couple of differences because they're using a GTX 970, which comes in small enough sizes that it works in the standard case and can use 'just' the Dell DA-2 for power.

I've got it set up in a Thermaltake Core V1 case with an EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 power supply (which is total overkill, but I got it cheap and it's a quality unit). I use a PSU jumper to keep the power supply on, just using the switch on the back to turn the whole thing on and off. I took the main board out of an AKiTiO Thunder2 PCI-e dock (you can get a good deal if you email them according to the instructions in that link) and mounted it in the case where it lined up with the expansion card slot, and for power I cut up a PCI-e 6-pin extension cable and hooked it up to the required 2.5mm x 5.5mm barrel connector (I got one with screw terminals, it's positive tip).

It's pretty DIY to get things set up, but once it's gotten going it's been really great, outside of an occasional need to reboot until it gets picked up in OS X, just because OS X's driver architecture doesn't handle it too well, especially with the slightly janky NVIDIA Web Drivers that are required for GM200 support in OS X. It's also not really worth doing with the 13" models for gaming, because their CPU and thermal setup is pretty poor, you'll be CPU limited well before you tax that powerful of a graphics card.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 8, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thanks; I'll definitely take a closer look at this once the Razer Core (or some other TB3 thing that is clean / doesn't need an external PSU) is out and I pick up a new MacBook.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

By the way, the Mac Pro Repair Extension for Video Issues seems to only be for those folks who sprung the extra money for D500 / D700 GPUs, tough marbles if you have a D300.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I keep forgetting, when do leaks usually surface about new Macbook Pro versions? We never have to wait until after the presentation right?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think most of the Mac announcements happen without prior leaks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I keep forgetting, when do leaks usually surface about new Macbook Pro versions?
Whenever Intel releases new chips or at least a roadmap. Apple doesn't really call the shots here.

Also launch volume, manufacturing lead time, and consumer interest are nothing like the iPhone's, so Mac leaks well in advance are pretty rare.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 10, 2016

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Whenever Intel releases new chips or at least a roadmap. Apple doesn't really call the shots here.

Also launch volume, manufacturing lead time, and consumer interest are nothing like the iPhone's, so Mac leaks well in advance are pretty rare.

Didn't Intel recently release a price sheet for their current generation chips that can be used in Pros? Is this a good sign?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Considering that the graphics release cycle is just coming around, I don't forsee a refresh of the 15" before WWDC. Not for performance, but because Apple won't go back to NVIDIA and the AMD mobile platform is a bucket of poo poo right now, hopefully Polaris will be better.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sinestro posted:

Apple won't go back to NVIDIA

You know this because ... ?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I don't want to know what may happen in March, just if rMBP is getting changes. My bonus came through yesterday, and I feel like it's dumb not to wait and find out. And also I want a new toy now!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sinestro posted:

Considering that the graphics release cycle is just coming around, I don't forsee a refresh of the 15" before WWDC. Not for performance, but because Apple won't go back to NVIDIA and the AMD mobile platform is a bucket of poo poo right now, hopefully Polaris will be better.

Why? Apple has historically flipped flopped between Nvidia and AMD/ATI multiple times.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Didn't Intel recently release a price sheet for their current generation chips that can be used in Pros? Is this a good sign?

Yes but they added chips to the price sheet in September that have only become widely available quite recently, so it might be a while. (Or it might be next week, I don't know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Thinking about the huge issues with NVIDIA chips turning into not-recalls multiple times, that's why they switched to AMD GPUs in the first place, but now there's the Mac Pro video card issue with FirePros, but I wouldn't put it past Apple to make decisions vindictively like that.