Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Pretty sure there's a Sandman one shot that's sorta like that.

Hob is close but he's still got issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostlight posted:

I pretty much imagine everyone who lives centuries rather than decades actually will inevitably build up that much emotional baggage.

Guy was hosed in the head at 14.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I don't know much about the Infinity gems but like, is there a point to any of them besides Reality? Like, after you can bend reality to your whim, that's the whole ball game there.

If I have to pick two, I guess that and Time. Power seems redundant, Mind seems lackluster, and Soul's a joke.

Reality can do "anything" but it's supposedly really, really hard to comprehend how to use it without having the mind gem, and its scope is relatively limited without the power gem to fuel it. But yes, it's by far the most powerful of the gems.

E: Whoops double post.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this? posted:

Hob is close but he's still got issues.

That's the dude he makes immortal then stops in and says "hi" once a century right? It's hard to make narrative fiction that's both entertaining and without hardship, but on the whole I wouldn't think of him as one of those where immortality is a curse.

Opposite end of the scale, I've been re-reading Lucifer and there's a woman who's immortal, but has a miscarriage every morning.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Reality can do "anything" but it's supposedly really, really hard to comprehend how to use it without having the mind gem, and its scope is relatively limited without the power gem to fuel it. But yes, it's by far the most powerful of the gems.

So having the reality gem without either of those is like being Firestorm without the smart guy telling you the chemical formulas.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Reality and Power gems don't, as far as I know, have any sensory aspect. Space, Time, Mind, and Soul each give you some ability to understand and study the thing that the gem able to affect. (Maybe Power gives some sort of energy-sense?) Reality on its own makes for a great monkey's paw, if you're not careful.

Plus, the Reality Gem alters reality directly. Want something? Want the world to be something? It's done. Over the long term, that seems like it would get p. unsatisfying. There's no challenge, delayed gratification, or possibility of not getting what you want. And since it's a non-sensory gem, you can't try to assuage your boredom by chillaxing and studying things for a while, until you get some new ideas.

If you gave me one use of any of the gems, though, I'd probably pick Reality.

e: Were the gems created intentionally to work together? If so, it makes sense that four (or five) of them exist primarily to let the user handle the Reality Gem in a competent and informed manner, and the Power Gem gives the whole setup its oomph.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 10, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

The Reality and Power gems don't, as far as I know, have any sensory aspect. Space, Time, Mind, and Soul each give you some ability to understand and study the thing that the gem able to affect. (Maybe Power gives some sort of energy-sense?) Reality on its own makes for a great monkey's paw, if you're not careful.

Plus, the Reality Gem alters reality directly. Want something? Want the world to be something? It's done. Over the long term, that seems like it would get p. unsatisfying. There's no challenge, delayed gratification, or possibility of not getting what you want. And since it's a non-sensory gem, you can't try to assuage your boredom by chillaxing and studying things for a while, until you get some new ideas.

If you gave me one use of any of the gems, though, I'd probably pick Reality.

Having the gauntlet would get mad boring too, Thanos had to depower himself to make fighting all his greatest enemies at the same time even slightly challenging. And while several of the gems expand your perceptions, they clearly don't confer any wisdom.

When The Magus had the gauntlet, he described the reality gem as "too much to even focus on right now", which is kinda nuts considering he was busy sending Adam Warlock's atoms through time and space to torture him while he was thinking that.

The power gem is kind of great because any stupid rear end in a top hat can use it by just hanging onto it and punching poo poo.

WickedHate posted:

So having the reality gem without either of those is like being Firestorm without the smart guy telling you the chemical formulas.

Yayyy, analogies!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Soul Gem should definitely confer some wisdom, imo. Otherwise, lovely gem that just fights ghosts???

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

You could reality up all the weed you wanted, though. Who needs the time gem when the reality gem can make it 4:20 forever?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If you had the whole gauntlet, you could use the four sensory gems to crowdsource wisdom from everyone who had ever lived. Add the Reality Gem, and you could conference in every possible version of every possible person.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pfft, why would I need to do that, I'm already perfect and supremely wise. Other people's minds would drag me down. :smugdog:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

The Soul Gem should definitely confer some wisdom, imo. Otherwise, lovely gem that just fights ghosts???

It kinda just made Adam Warlock insane.

Squizzle posted:

If you had the whole gauntlet, you could use the four sensory gems to crowdsource wisdom from everyone who had ever lived. Add the Reality Gem, and you could conference in every possible version of every possible person.

Right, but it wouldn't confer the humility to think you need to do that.

WickedHate posted:

Pfft, why would I need to do that, I'm already perfect and supremely wise. Other people's minds would drag me down. :smugdog:

See? Totally what Dr. Doom would say.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

I must only use this power for good. Commence the Omega Meeting. There will be Powerpoint.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If I had the gauntlet I'd make myself immortal, cure my IBS, win the lottery, and put it in my freezer in case of emergencies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think the gems mostly just do what needs to happen for the narrative, so I want whichever one most people think is the worst, because it's a great narrative when that person triumphs over everyone else.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

I think the gems mostly just do what needs to happen for the narrative, so I want whichever one most people think is the worst, because it's a great narrative when that person triumphs over everyone else.

Great, yet another wrestling derail.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would just use it to gift other people powers so they can be superheroes and supervillains of their own choice for real then sit on the moon watching it all play out for my own amusement while I teleport doritos and mountain dew directly into my toilet and deflect any criticism of my power use by insisting I can't intervene in events.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Great, yet another wrestling derail.

Do you honestly think wrestling invented the concept of an underdog?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

Do you honestly think wrestling invented the concept of an underdog?

Right, forgot this was SA, etc.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I liked the joke.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

I liked the joke.

I like you! :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'll take the butt and boob gem.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Imagining Thanos in the Infinity Corset now, having some powerful new feelings.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I got free bacon and cheese sausages(???) with my groceries this week and they're pretty drat good but i feel like enjoying these is going to make me turn into the kind of person that idolizes epic meal time and the meatship.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

I got free bacon and cheese sausages(???) with my groceries this week and they're pretty drat good but i feel like enjoying these is going to make me turn into the kind of person that idolizes epic meal time and the meatship.

I too worry that eating a meal will affect my taste in entertainment, and plan my life around this and actively angst about it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gonna meatship Lurdiak x Sausages. 👴 💘 🌭

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I never got the whole "bacon" internet thing. Bacon isn't even that good.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Vincent posted:

Me neither but I don't stare at the slices that come with my omelet in horror, terrified eating it will make me get bacon wallpaper or use bacon lube.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Vincent posted:

It's the right balance of good enough, accessible, easy to make, and funny-sounding word. The perfect blend for Internet Meat.

e: And if you eat it about as often as is healthy to eat it, it's honestly great. I always loved it growing up, when my mom made it for breakfast. It was an uncommon morning delight.

Got to get one of her breakfast casserole recipes, now that I think about it.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 10, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bacon is very good, but the fetishization of it is very strange.

If I had the Infinity Gauntlet, I would make Powerpoint never exist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Bacon is great, but I prefer really good sausages and even really good ham to bacon.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Bacon isn't worth eating unless it's Benton's Bacon, the best Bacon in these United States.

SynthOrange posted:

Where can I find me some Infinity Gams?! You know, some legs that go til' Easter!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

Bacon isn't worth eating unless it's Benton's Bacon, the best Bacon in these United States.

I think that may have been the best bacon I've ever had, come to think of it. I had it on a burger in Knoxville at the Stock and Barrel, with pimento cheese and bourbon-caramelized onions.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

If I had the Infinity Gauntlet, I would make Powerpoint never exist.

But without Powerpoint, everyone would use Google Slides, or... Prezi... *shudder* Let us not go down that road.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

As someone who was an education major for a bit, gently caress you. For bringing bad memories up.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 10, 2016

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think that may have been the best bacon I've ever had, come to think of it. I had it on a burger in Knoxville at the Stock and Barrel, with pimento cheese and bourbon-caramelized onions.

This is a good derail.

One day I will get my hands on a meat grinder and make some bacon burgers. I'll make sure to book the next day off for the inevitable cardiac event.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toph Bei Fong posted:

But without Powerpoint, everyone would use Google Slides, or... Prezi... *shudder* Let us not go down that road.

No, all slide-based presentations would be gone.

Truly a change to reality.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Man, that's a good burger. I try to get a different bourbon every time I go since their selection is absolutely ridiculous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When I get the IG the first thing that happens is everyone who enjoys the Big Bang Theory gets deported to Saturn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

As someone who was an education major for a bit, gently caress you. For bringing bad memories up.

Oh Christ, I remember when doing prezi presentations was all the rage at my college. Such an unwieldy piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread