Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Maybe this is a bad place to ask this, but I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble or anything like that. BUT:

I'm looking for video game music MP3's I can download. I used to have a great site bookmarked before my old computer got bricked, and now I can't find it no matter what I google. A lot of these MP3 libraries look kinda sketchy, so I was wondering if any goons here who use video game music as background for videos could point me towards a legit download site that won't give me icky viruses.

Not sure if :filez: since they don't just have old/unavailable stuff but KH Insider is probably what you're looking for, they have videogame soundtracks/bgm going back to the Amiga and C64 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Maybe this is a bad place to ask this, but I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble or anything like that. BUT:

I'm looking for video game music MP3's I can download. I used to have a great site bookmarked before my old computer got bricked, and now I can't find it no matter what I google. A lot of these MP3 libraries look kinda sketchy, so I was wondering if any goons here who use video game music as background for videos could point me towards a legit download site that won't give me icky viruses.

The internet archive might have some stuff, and I know of a few other ways but nothing postable on a public forum.

E: speaking of /v/, I just remembered this and this which might be helpful.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 8, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

ffshrine forums is the main source for a lot of them, but they're poo poo so don't use them.

there's also this /v/ pastebin: http://pastebin.com/VPqgpkhW

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Question. When posting images, is there any way to prevent a break from appearing between two images posted vertically above each other?

edit: never mind, apparently the few pixels of space between vertically posted images only appears in preview and on the screenshot test poster.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Xenoveritas posted:

Well... I wouldn't trust SourceForge not to bundle malware. They're triggering Chrome warnings for a reason, and the reason is because they're scum.

Just to clarify on that, they don't bundle malware. They bundle adware (you could consider that malware I guess, but it doesn't do any actual harm) unless the project maintainer says otherwise. But they're still scum (the parent company is - they kind of killed Slashdot and now Sourceforge).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

Just to clarify on that, they don't bundle malware. They bundle adware (you could consider that malware I guess)

i do, and lol

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They were just bought out again. New bosses claim they're gonna clean it up but I wouldn't bet on it happening fast, if at all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Due to weird and bad issues with a game I'm recording, I have basically no choice but to record in MP4 rather than AVI. How would I go about transcoding my file (I think that's the word) to AVI for easier editing?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Due to weird and bad issues with a game I'm recording, I have basically no choice but to record in MP4 rather than AVI. How would I go about transcoding my file (I think that's the word) to AVI for easier editing?

I use FFMS2 in Avisynth to import the file into a script, which you can then do whatever you want with in VDub.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nidoking posted:

I use FFMS2 in Avisynth to import the file into a script, which you can then do whatever you want with in VDub.

I tried that, but I fear I'm a little lost as to how to install FFMS2.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Download here: https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases
Extract somewhere.
Copy FFMS2.avsi and the FFMS2.dll in the x86 folder to c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\, so that you then have the files at
c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\FFMS2.avsi
c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll

(Adjust location of Avisynth install as necessary.)

Here's a quote from the OP that was added because a lot of people face this problem.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, clearly I'm having a fundamental misunderstanding of what to do here.

code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll")
FFIndex("foo.mp4")
FFMS2("foo.mp4")
changefps(30)
This returns:

code:
Avisynth open failure:
LoadPlugin: unable to load "C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll"
(C:\lp\raw\letstrythis.avs, line 1)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, clearly I'm having a fundamental misunderstanding of what to do here.

code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll")
FFIndex("foo.mp4")
FFMS2("foo.mp4")
changefps(30)
This returns:

code:
Avisynth open failure:
LoadPlugin: unable to load "C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll"
(C:\lp\raw\letstrythis.avs, line 1)
Yeah, you're not loading things properly and you're referencing the wrong function. It should look like:

code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms-2.17\ffms2.dll")
import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms-2.17\FFMS2.avsi")
FFMpegSource2("C:\Users\paul\Desktop\FearPT1.2Raw.mp4", vtrack=-1, atrack=-1, threads=1, fpsnum=60)
VVVVV
Oh? Mine works fine on 2.5.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 10, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, you're not loading things properly and you're referencing the wrong function. It should look like:

code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms-2.17\ffms2.dll")
import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms-2.17\FFMS2.avsi")
FFMpegSource2("C:\Users\paul\Desktop\FearPT1.2Raw.mp4", vtrack=-1, atrack=-1, threads=1, fpsnum=60)

You'd think that, but it turns out I just needed AviSynth 2.6.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah if you read the release notes of FFMS2 v2.2, it says it's using the "2.6 RC API", which I guess makes it incompatible with AviSynth v2.5 and older. They probably should make that clearer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nidoking posted:

For DOSBox specifically, you should be using the DOSBox recorder - there's a hotkey for it that I believe defaults to Ctrl-Alt-F5, but I always change it to Alt-F5 in the keymapper. The ZMBV codec it uses should give you pretty small file sizes, even for very high framerates. The only reason not to do this is would be if you're recording live commentary, because it will get out of sync if the game spends much time loading.

Fair enough, but the ZMBV codec means that I apparently can't work with the file in VirtualDub at all - heck I can't even see the video in VLC (which was odd, 'cause I could have sworn I managed to do it before).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samovar posted:

Fair enough, but the ZMBV codec means that I apparently can't work with the file in VirtualDub at all - heck I can't even see the video in VLC (which was odd, 'cause I could have sworn I managed to do it before).

Transcode to something like lagarith and do your work on that?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Has anyone else had problems with playing raw Fraps capture in VLC since the latest VLC update? It has to buffer every few seconds with me.

Edit: reinstalling seems to fix it.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 14, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Samovar posted:

Have you installed the codec so players can find it? I don't think DOSbox does that itself, by default. Rather, in the ZMBV folder under the DOSbox install folder, there are two files zmbv.dll and zmbv.inf - if you right-click the INF file you should get an Install command. That will install the ZMBV codec for VfW, so VirtualDub and AviSynth's Avisource can decode those files.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Be warned that DOSBox's recordings tend to be very, well, weird frame rates. Like 71FPS or things like that. Why? Not a clue, honestly, but I suspect it has to do with the same reason modelines work the way they do and the effective clock rates that DOSBox ends up emulating.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Right... when I work with DOSBox recordings, I usually start by ChangeFPSing them to 70 so I can do things in seconds and half-seconds easily if I need to, then do my edits, and finally ChangeFPS again to something sensible like 30.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So I've just noticed I'm getting gradual audio desync in OBS when streaming from my PS2. I'm using an AverMedia C027. It's fine when I start, but after a minute or two there's a half-to-full-second delay between the video and audio.

Here's my OBS settings. I don't know if they're all pertinent, but hey.

Any ideas?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Does the desync continue to gradually get worse (like, by half an hour you're 30 seconds off or something), or is a few seconds it? I use an Elgato, and while the amount of desync can vary (typically when I'm already recording while switching the video input, like how the PS3 switches from native 1080p to 720 to actually start up a game), it's consistent once I start recording.

5000 bitrate is also too high for streaming (and probably overkill for PS2 anyway, capped at 480 as it is and all); Twitch caps you at 3500. Depending on your rig, that might be the source of your problem: encoding and upstreaming that much data is pretty demanding, especially if you're also watching it on your desktop at the same time. One of my "favorite" anecdotes is the danger of monitor capture: I caused crazy overheating on my PC once by accidentally including the OBS window while using it to record a game, making for an infinite recursion rendering mess. :sweatdrop: The Elgato is infamous for its delay, but with updated software and recommended specs it's only about 1.5-2 seconds; anything worse typically means your setup isn't up to snuff. There's only so much a PC can do at once, so your desync might be a technical issue.

Everything else looks fine. On General, I've never noticed any benefit to setting system priority above average (seems to work better to prioritize the programs you use directly in Task Manager), so just a heads-up there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Having lowered my bitrate, the audio now seems to be ahead of the video. I'm not sure if it's helping matters that I'm playing through OBS' preview.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 14, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, no, the gradual audio desync is still very much a thing.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The card you have, is it the PCI-e one?

This is going to sound really stupid but if it is in a PCI-e 1x slot move it to an 8x or 16x slot. Yes I know it's a 1x card. This solved my horrible desync issues and I have not had a problem since.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mico posted:

The card you have, is it the PCI-e one?

This is going to sound really stupid but if it is in a PCI-e 1x slot move it to an 8x or 16x slot. Yes I know it's a 1x card. This solved my horrible desync issues and I have not had a problem since.

Unless I'm mistaken, it IS in an 8x slot, but it's in about the only place there's room for. Moving it would basically involve a whole new system board. For now, though, I've managed to get around it by opening the preview in Avermedia's app on one monitor and capturing that entire monitor with OBS.

So yeah, I more or less fixed it by creating the digital version of a camcorder LP. :allears:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Audio question: for my current LP I've been going through my own voice recordings and muting/trimming the sound of me breathing in inbetween sentence fragments and I'm kind of amazed how much better it sounds like that. Is there a trick or industry secret to avoiding that sound altogether?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Audio question: for my current LP I've been going through my own voice recordings and muting/trimming the sound of me breathing in inbetween sentence fragments and I'm kind of amazed how much better it sounds like that. Is there a trick or industry secret to avoiding that sound altogether?

An expander or noise gate filter can help remove soft sections from a recording.

A foam filter over the microphone can help remove breathing and wind noises.

Placing the microphone not directly in the path of your breath, but a bit below instead, will avoid breathing directly into it.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Lizard Wizard posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, it IS in an 8x slot, but it's in about the only place there's room for. Moving it would basically involve a whole new system board. For now, though, I've managed to get around it by opening the preview in Avermedia's app on one monitor and capturing that entire monitor with OBS.

So yeah, I more or less fixed it by creating the digital version of a camcorder LP. :allears:

New Thread Title: The Tech Support Fort - It's Not a Kludge If It's In the OP

davidspackage posted:

Put one of those fuzzy covers on your mic and keep it a good ways from your mouth, the farther the better. This'll filter out almost all breathing sounds. If you're still having problems, set up a noisegate in OBS or w/e you're using and breathing sounds will mostly be cut. The noisegate isn't perfect though, and you'll still have a lot of goon-sound slip through the cracks.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
What is your mic setup? Chances are you might be able to fix it almost entirely just with a little foam windshield over the mic.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've got a mic with a foam cover, mounted on an arm. I'll try sitting less close, and maybe lowering the gain.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lacedaemonius posted:

New Thread Title: The Tech Support Fort - It's Not a Kludge If It's In the OP

As a wizard, I have no sense of right and wrong.

Just, y'know, not in the way you might think.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Mastigophoran posted:

Here's a quote from the OP that was added because a lot of people face this problem.

Thank you! Also Thanks Admiral H Curtiss!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am running into a weird problem with my Adobe Premiere. It seems that when I import clips into it, clips of game footage, it desynchs them slightly. Even if I just import the clip in and drop it on the timeline, it comes in desynched and I'm not sure why. When I play it the raw footage it is fine, so I'm confused as to what could be causing this. I haven't tested to see if this effect persists post rending and exporting, but I assume it would. Does anyone know what is happening here?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am running into a weird problem with my Adobe Premiere. It seems that when I import clips into it, clips of game footage, it desynchs them slightly. Even if I just import the clip in and drop it on the timeline, it comes in desynched and I'm not sure why. When I play it the raw footage it is fine, so I'm confused as to what could be causing this. I haven't tested to see if this effect persists post rending and exporting, but I assume it would. Does anyone know what is happening here?

How are you recording your footage? All of my stuff that I record via ShadowPlay is recorded at a variable framerate, so I have to throw my stuff through handbrake to get a constant framerate.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

How are you recording your footage? All of my stuff that I record via ShadowPlay is recorded at a variable framerate, so I have to throw my stuff through handbrake to get a constant framerate.

I have an HD PVR from Happauge.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I have an HD PVR from Happauge.

Premiere is very fussy about framerates and stuff. I had the same problem with footage recorded from my elgato, which is supposed to only record at a fixed rate. Running your videos through handbrake, forcing a constant frame rate should fix your issue.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Heavenator posted:

Premiere is very fussy about framerates and stuff. I had the same problem with footage recorded from my elgato, which is supposed to only record at a fixed rate. Running your videos through handbrake, forcing a constant frame rate should fix your issue.

What is handbrake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's a video converter tool. You can throw a variety of input formats into it and get an MP4 encoded to your liking. Give it a shot, it's free.