Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sinestro posted:

Thinking about the huge issues with NVIDIA chips turning into not-recalls multiple times, that's why they switched to AMD GPUs in the first place, but now there's the Mac Pro video card issue with FirePros, but I wouldn't put it past Apple to make decisions vindictively like that.

They already did, a while back.

IMHO: Ultimately, at the end of the day, whomever gives Apple a better deal on discrete GPUs will decide what goes into the next hardware releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Can someone recommend a hard case for a 13" retina Macbook Pro? I'm leaning towards the Incipio Feather but I was wondering if there was something better. I had that iPearl case for my old laptop but it was trash and I'm pretty sure it broke the hinge for the display.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Binary Badger posted:

They already did, a while back.

IMHO: Ultimately, at the end of the day, whomever gives Apple a better deal on discrete GPUs will decide what goes into the next hardware releases.

That's what I was drawing the idea from. It just depends if they go with who's caused less trouble but more recently, or more trouble but further in the past.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

keevo posted:

Can someone recommend a hard case for a 13" retina Macbook Pro? I'm leaning towards the Incipio Feather but I was wondering if there was something better. I had that iPearl case for my old laptop but it was trash and I'm pretty sure it broke the hinge for the display.

Looks fine. I have something similar (Speck brand I think) and the only complaint I have is due to it being black -- oily fingerprints build up fast. There is no level of OCD hand washing to prevent it. Oh, and it's pretty drat hard to remove, but as long as you aren't storing/using it anywhere particularly dusty, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Anything BUT the Speck cover for the 13" rMBP. I had one and within three months, the tiny tabs on the corners near the base of the LCD display cracked off. It began to get chipped at the rim of the cover near the trackpad.

I tried a Kuzy, a noname brand from Amazon, that also had nubs at the corners crack off and cracks appeared in the grille where it supposedly radiates heat out from the shell.

Testing out an Incipio Feather right as we speak, hasn't cracked anywhere since I got it on the weekend..

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Binary Badger posted:

Anything BUT the Speck cover for the 13" rMBP. I had one and within three months, the tiny tabs on the corners near the base of the LCD display cracked off. It began to get chipped at the rim of the cover near the trackpad.

I tried a Kuzy, a noname brand from Amazon, that also had nubs at the corners crack off and cracks appeared in the grille where it supposedly radiates heat out from the shell.

Testing out an Incipio Feather right as we speak, hasn't cracked anywhere since I got it on the weekend..

I went looking for reviews for both products after I posted, and saw a whole lot of that (chipping/cracking, especially at corners.) I haven't had this happen, myself, and my shell is about a year old at this point. I'm as gentle as you'd expect me to be with fragile electronics, but I do pick up and set down my MacBook multiple times a day. A lot of people claim it cracks within months.

After seeing enough pictures, I started to suspect that maybe it's only the glossy versions of the shell (most colors, if not all, are offered in matte or glossy,) but that's just a hunch and not enough to conclude on. Maybe they've just got cheap production quality, or a flawed design. Maybe these people are the type that routinely toss their smartphone onto their desk instead of setting it down. Too many variables at play.

FWIW, I like the design of the Incipio more -- its holding tabs look much better and it tapers down where your wrists rest.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I've had a Kuzy shell on my 13" Air for 2+ years and no cracks or damage aside from the rubber feet needing to be re-glued once. The finger smudges are real tho, and it's matte.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Whenever Intel releases new chips or at least a roadmap. Apple doesn't really call the shots here.

Also launch volume, manufacturing lead time, and consumer interest are nothing like the iPhone's, so Mac leaks well in advance are pretty rare.

I think Skylake is "soon" for the 13" rMBPs, or at least I hope it is -- I'm sitting around waiting for that so I can finally ditch my T430s at work.

Re: GPU reliability issues, I would be tempted to blame a lot of it on loving RoHS, but the industry should have learned how to work with that by now in terms of assembly, reflow temperature profiles, etc. (everyone watched and learned from Microsoft dealing with that poo poo on the 360). An Intel CPU BGA should have a similar number of balls as a GPU, but their solder-ball compositions are probably different.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Kanex are making a Thunderbolt 3 dock and are seeking input from users: http://www.kanex.com/thunderbolt3/#port

Seems like a good opportunity to have a say.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That's going to end up as the Homer of TB docks and put them out of business isn't it?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is a question for this thread or the osx thread. I've recently aquired a 2010 12 core mac pro which I have put two sata drives I had lying around. One I have just done a clean install of El Capitan and the other I was going to use for a bootcamp drive, however when I try to run the bootcamp assistant it says this mac does not support bootcamp.

From searching around it looks like it should do? Did I do something wrong when installing El Capitan?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My 2011 MacBook Pro hard drive seems to have given up the ghost after installing El Capitan. Installed, restarted, user profile won't boot (gets stuck on 100% after about half an hour of boot up time). It appears that something has completely filled my hard drive despite it being about 80GB away from capacity before the install. Have installed OS X on a USB drive and backed up all the data I didn't initially have a backup for. Seems like I can access the majority of my data from the hard drive simply through finder, but can't boot up from it, add anything else, or run a program.

I've tried erasing the drive, but whenever I try through disk utility the computer freezes, or the disk utility menu disappears and I'm stuck on the screen, in control, but with no options to do anything.

I presume this is some kind of fatal hard drive issue, and I'm cash strapped at the moment. I'll be taking it in to the store for a diagnosis, but I'm wondering how easy (and cheap) it would be to replace the drive, if it is in fact a totally irreversible mess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lenoon posted:

My 2011 MacBook Pro hard drive seems to have given up the ghost after installing El Capitan. Installed, restarted, user profile won't boot (gets stuck on 100% after about half an hour of boot up time). It appears that something has completely filled my hard drive despite it being about 80GB away from capacity before the install. Have installed OS X on a USB drive and backed up all the data I didn't initially have a backup for. Seems like I can access the majority of my data from the hard drive simply through finder, but can't boot up from it, add anything else, or run a program.

I've tried erasing the drive, but whenever I try through disk utility the computer freezes, or the disk utility menu disappears and I'm stuck on the screen, in control, but with no options to do anything.

I presume this is some kind of fatal hard drive issue, and I'm cash strapped at the moment. I'll be taking it in to the store for a diagnosis, but I'm wondering how easy (and cheap) it would be to replace the drive, if it is in fact a totally irreversible mess.

It's really simple to replace the hard drive on a MacBook Pro like that.

Remove the screws

Pop the cover off

Remove the drive, replace with SSD

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yup. You are lucky you have an older MBP. It's super easy to replace the drive and it'll feel like a new computer with a SSD. I'm still rocking a 2006 Macbook with SSD and Snow Leopard boots up as fast as iOS on my phone.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I have a mid-2012 non-retina MBP, and the battery is swelling, which I've verified visually. Capacity is still good, but the swelling has actually pushed the touchpad up a bit and made it so that the bottom rocks on a level surface.

I know Apple will do OOW battery replacements for a fee, which is fine as long as its reasonable, but is this a part I could expect the fruit stand to have in stock? I'm not willing to leave my laptop there since it's an hour drive and it's just a battery replacement. Failing that, is there a reputable vendor to get a replacement from?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Luceo posted:

I have a mid-2012 non-retina MBP, and the battery is swelling, which I've verified visually. Capacity is still good, but the swelling has actually pushed the touchpad up a bit and made it so that the bottom rocks on a level surface.

I know Apple will do OOW battery replacements for a fee, which is fine as long as its reasonable, but is this a part I could expect the fruit stand to have in stock? I'm not willing to leave my laptop there since it's an hour drive and it's just a battery replacement. Failing that, is there a reputable vendor to get a replacement from?

Google AASP if you want someone closer. Apple will sometimes do OOW battery replacements for *free* if it's bulging. But don't count on it. As for stock? Impossible to say. Very likely, Apple Stores have random-rear end parts for old-rear end machines just kicking around and then will tell you that they're out of stock on a battery for last year's iPhone. Call them.

The AASP will source Apple parts anyway but charge a bit more than Apple does. Also an AASP is less likely to have the part in stock. Call the Apple Store.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Great, thanks. Can it be any SSD, or do I need to look for specific ones?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lenoon posted:

Great, thanks. Can it be any SSD, or do I need to look for specific ones?

The Samsung 850 Pro is well regarded, heavily stocked, performs well and is reasonably priced. Any SATA SSD will do though. The drive bay is like 9mm tall instead of 12mm, something like that, but I've never heard of an SSD that won't fit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

950 Pro is overkill IMHO, unless you need super rock steady reliability and performance.

An 850 EVO is much more economical and will last longer than you need.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

track day bro! posted:

Not sure if this is a question for this thread or the osx thread. I've recently aquired a 2010 12 core mac pro which I have put two sata drives I had lying around. One I have just done a clean install of El Capitan and the other I was going to use for a bootcamp drive, however when I try to run the bootcamp assistant it says this mac does not support bootcamp.

From searching around it looks like it should do? Did I do something wrong when installing El Capitan?

Naw, you didn't do anything wrong per se.. but Apple only supports certain models for Windows 10, if that's what you're trying to install.

Apple only officially supports up to Windows 8.1 for your mid-2010 Mac Pro; the only Mac Pro supported for Windows 10 is the latest, the Late 2013 Trash Can.

Also, did you use Boot Camp Assistant to format a drive for Windows before proceeding?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Naw, you didn't do anything wrong per se.. but Apple only supports certain models for Windows 10, if that's what you're trying to install.

Apple only officially supports up to Windows 8.1 for your mid-2010 Mac Pro; the only Mac Pro supported for Windows 10 is the latest, the Late 2013 Trash Can.

Also, did you use Boot Camp Assistant to format a drive for Windows before proceeding?

Thats the thing bootcamp assistant just doesnt run popping up with that error message. I forgot what the process was when I setup the bootcamp partition on my mbp.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

track day bro! posted:

Is it set up for RAID by any chance? Google indicates that boot camp won't work with computers that are set up for either software RAID or have a mac pro raid card.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

Google AASP if you want someone closer. Apple will sometimes do OOW battery replacements for *free* if it's bulging. But don't count on it. As for stock? Impossible to say. Very likely, Apple Stores have random-rear end parts for old-rear end machines just kicking around and then will tell you that they're out of stock on a battery for last year's iPhone. Call them.

The AASP will source Apple parts anyway but charge a bit more than Apple does. Also an AASP is less likely to have the part in stock. Call the Apple Store.

I phoned fruit and they have it in stock. :toot: Boy, though, they sure make it hard to actually talk to someone physically at the specific store that you call these days.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just mash 0 and hope for the best. They want to transfer you to AppleCare, they want you to dial in a serial number, what's up with that? There's like 10 guys in the store standing around not doing jack poo poo. Give them phones, for crying out out, YOU SELL PHONES.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

Just mash 0 and hope for the best. They want to transfer you to AppleCare, they want you to dial in a serial number, what's up with that? There's like 10 guys in the store standing around not doing jack poo poo. Give them phones, for crying out out, YOU SELL PHONES.

Those guys are carrying phones already.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

withak posted:

Those guys are carrying phones already.

Well they're not answering them!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it set up for RAID by any chance? Google indicates that boot camp won't work with computers that are set up for either software RAID or have a mac pro raid card.

It definitely wasnt setup for RAID as it appears to have come with a single 1tb drive, but i'll check if it has a RAID card installed.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

Oh, that's what I normally do. I'll never talk to a voice system except to say HUMAN, and if I get a dial prompt I always mash 0. But after dialing the store number directly, that got me to someone who was not at my store, which I found to be odd.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

B&H has $300 off all new 12" MacBooks and no tax free shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...m=apple-macbook

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

B&H has $300 off all new 12" MacBooks and no tax free shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...m=apple-macbook

I got that email a few minutes ago, and almost impulse ordered a space gray one.

But 1) I don't need 3 loving Mac laptops, and 2) there's no way to plug a new MacBook into a 27" Cinema Display, is there? I see USB-C to HDMI but nothing for DisplayPort. And then I can't use my Thunderbolt gigabit ethernet adapter. gently caress that.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
Guessing, we're seeing a new rMB next month then.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Housh posted:

Yup. You are lucky you have an older MBP. It's super easy to replace the drive and it'll feel like a new computer with a SSD. I'm still rocking a 2006 Macbook with SSD and Snow Leopard boots up as fast as iOS on my phone.

:confused:
What an odd comparison.

Besides, nobody would ever describe the IOS boot sequence as "fast".

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

~Coxy posted:

Maybe it's an iPhone 4.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

~Coxy posted:

:confused:
What an odd comparison.

I first read it as he had an HD

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

there's no way to plug a new MacBook into a 27" Cinema Display, is there? I see USB-C to HDMI but nothing for DisplayPort. And then I can't use my Thunderbolt gigabit ethernet adapter. gently caress that.

What might be a solution is an ungodly combination of:

StarTech’s female Mini DisplayPort to male DisplayPort adapter ($4.50)

A female-to-female DisplayPort coupler ($13.50)

a DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable (as little as $6)

Apple’s $79 USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, which has an HDMI port on it in addition to pass-through USB-C power and USB Type A 3.1 for data

The display cable would plug into the StarTech adapter; the coupler would change the gender, allowing the male-to-male DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable to work; and the HDMI male end would be plugged into Apple’s adapter.

I don’t have an Apple display to test this on, and goodness knows if it’ll pass everything through without distortion. But conceivably, the DisplayPort data from the Apple monitor would simply be sent across multiple cables without conversion.

HAHAAHHA

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Screen on my friend's Mac Book Pro freaking out. Have you guys seen this before, and if so, is her screen just going bad? I'm pretty sure she dropped it and won't fess up to it. Applecare won't fix it because they think she broke it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSSwXlvYOpQ

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

What might be a solution is an ungodly combination of:

StarTech’s female Mini DisplayPort to male DisplayPort adapter ($4.50)

A female-to-female DisplayPort coupler ($13.50)

a DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable (as little as $6)

Apple’s $79 USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, which has an HDMI port on it in addition to pass-through USB-C power and USB Type A 3.1 for data

The display cable would plug into the StarTech adapter; the coupler would change the gender, allowing the male-to-male DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable to work; and the HDMI male end would be plugged into Apple’s adapter.

I don’t have an Apple display to test this on, and goodness knows if it’ll pass everything through without distortion. But conceivably, the DisplayPort data from the Apple monitor would simply be sent across multiple cables without conversion.

HAHAAHHA

Yeah that is so not going to work. I like how he got the direction of signal flow completely wrong.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Anyone think they might bump the top end gently caress-off rMBP to 2TB or more?

Lately I've found myself in need of a lot of disk space as my job revolves around a lot of VM snapshots that are much more convenient when stored locally. I've been shuffling around on a 512GB rMBP from a couple years ago, but I think that would get me to upgrade. I'm a bit paranoid that Apple is going to go the route of the iPhones and rarely increase storage under the premise that 'everything is in the cloud these days' or something like that.