Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Joan Jett hasn't aged at all :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

This was a great episode and i makes me so sad that the show is gonna get canned.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So what the hell threw ABC off by 5 minutes tonight? I came home to find my DVR recording was off and didn't have the complete episode.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

macnbc posted:

So what the hell threw ABC off by 5 minutes tonight? I came home to find my DVR recording was off and didn't have the complete episode.

Primary reports, I assume.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't see what the big deal is. I was born with a tail, but the doctors removed it. I keep it close so that when I'm reincarnated, I'll be whole. See?????

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005
I never thought I'd even think this sentence but my favourite part was the torture joke.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I tell everything to my waterboardist

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
"Churchhill said it, but Piggy twieeted it!"

Good episode, and now we know that they were mostly highlighting the changes to the show in the last episode and they aren't going over the top with them. The "Pizza" guy wasn't even in it. I approve of the retooling.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Ratings-wise last night was a modest improvement over last week's series low. It's actually only the 2nd episode to score higher ratings than the one prior.

It still only got a 0.9 though.. I don't think that'd be enough to save it. If it manages to keep bringing audience back with the retooled version it might stand a chance though.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 10, 2016

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
What happened to Gonzo on the roof? My DVR cut off as soon as they showed him up there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clamknuckle posted:

What happened to Gonzo on the roof? My DVR cut off as soon as they showed him up there.

He jumped, missed the pool and smashed into the ground, everyone gasped in horror but he immediately leaped back to his feet and yelled "Bullseye!!" and everyone laughed.
But then it turned out that Camilla was at the party and they shared a longing look

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
The spoiled part was what I hoped would happen, thanks!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So far in the 'reboot' they've made moves to wind back the 'Kermit has a new girlfriend and has mostly moved past Piggy' and 'Gonzo is separated from Camilla' storylines, I wonder if they'll wind back Fozzy's relationship next.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In aiming they're just gonna eventually cut out all the adult stuff and turn it into Muppet Babies Shot Like the Office right before it's canceled.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Solice Kirsk posted:

In aiming they're just gonna eventually cut out all the adult stuff and turn it into Muppet Babies Shot Like the Office right before it's canceled.

Did they even do any cut-away interview stuff in these last two?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Now that I'm thinking of it I don't think they did. They may be dropping the mockumentary part of it all together. And I'm loving that every time the exec shows up with bad news she brings muffins. Eventually this will give all the muppets a Pavlov's dog kind of effect where they can't even see a muffin with out getting a feeling of dread or worry.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Solice Kirsk posted:

Except Muppet Babies was a good show so that probably wouldn't be too awful.

I'm kind of upset that it looks like Denise is really gone, she was a fun character and I would have liked to have her around even if she wasn't Kermit's girlfriend anymore.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I, for one, deeply enjoyed the One Million Moms jab.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
“It’s the house that 90210 built and Sharknado did not redecorate” - Pepe

I love Pepe

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I did not like that episode at all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sockser posted:

I did not like that episode at all.

Yeah, neither did I, but my roommate laughed a few times at it so it worked for him. It's a weird message to put out there. Don't take a stand and be proud of yourself if someone in authority tells you not to, but maybe your friends will help you somehow.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The only part of this episode I liked was "Uncle by Deadly."

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, neither did I, but my roommate laughed a few times at it so it worked for him. It's a weird message to put out there. Don't take a stand and be proud of yourself if someone in authority tells you not to, but maybe your friends will help you somehow.

I sorta saw it as more of "if corporate is gonna gently caress you, toe the line and stick it to them". Like, the whole group was about giving corporate the letter of what they wanted, not the spirit.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I liked it better than the last episode, but the "on set" portions are still pretty bad. That was something I felt was done a lot better pre-retooling.

I feel like they were trying to make some kind of real-life parallel with the whole tail thing, but damned if I can figure out what it was off the top of my head.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Except Muppet Babies was a good show so that probably wouldn't be too awful.

I'm kind of upset that it looks like Denise is really gone, she was a fun character and I would have liked to have her around even if she wasn't Kermit's girlfriend anymore.

She and Annie Sue can commiserate together.

The problem with doing Muppet Babies now would be that rights to movie clips have gotten really expensive.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

raditts posted:

I liked it better than the last episode, but the "on set" portions are still pretty bad. That was something I felt was done a lot better pre-retooling.

I feel like they were trying to make some kind of real-life parallel with the whole tail thing, but damned if I can figure out what it was off the top of my head.

I think it was supposed to be a metaphor for fatshaming in the media, but it was both heavy-handed and incomprehensible.

Jesus, the last two episodes have been a total bust.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think it was a bit complicated but they related it to an actual property of Piggy as, well, a pig. So it's not one-to-one about wardrobe malfunctions or fat shaming in the real world but it's still "don't be ashamed of who you are" and I think that gets across.

I'm enjoying the post-reboot show however long it lasts. Maybe this thing was just never going to fly with audiences no matter what. I'm resigned to all the shows I like being commercial disasters from now until the traditional TV model collapses.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
"Ever since we changed the show so that everyone could be in it more, a funny thing has happened. I'm in it less."

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I would be entirely ok with a show entirely about Pepe, Rizzo, and Gonzo.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah I enjoyed this episode more than the last but post-retool its not really striking a chord with me.

I can't even explain why, really. I guess I don't feel like I get enough substance out of 22 minutes? Is it even 22 minutes? Feels like more commercial time than air time.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Axel Serenity posted:

I would be entirely ok with a show entirely about Pepe, Rizzo, and Gonzo.

Pepe and Rizzo as stars, with Gonzo being a head-behind-the-fence

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Sockser posted:

Yeah I enjoyed this episode more than the last but post-retool its not really striking a chord with me.

I can't even explain why, really. I guess I don't feel like I get enough substance out of 22 minutes? Is it even 22 minutes? Feels like more commercial time than air time.

Nothing is really happening, they have a plot each episode but it isn't enough to fill the time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sockser posted:

I think Piggy summed it up pretty well, they're cramming a bunch of characters into every episode so there's not really a plot to speak of or care about.
The most ill-conceived of which is the Pache / Pizza / whatever guy.
Also it seems like someone on the current writing staff really likes that guy who throws fish for some reason.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm cashing out. The last three have been total busts for me and I wasn't a super huge fan of it pre-retooling, but now there's just nothing for me to grasp onto each episode. Maybe I'll watch the lat few episodes once they hit Netflix, but even that may be asking a lot of me.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Yeah this episode was pretty boring. Pepe continues to make me laugh though. "I am the Al Capones!"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure what you guys want. The first 7 or 8 episodes had almost no plot and no resolution. They heavily focused on Piggy, Kermit, and maybe one other character which was usually Fozzy. The Muppets has always been about the ensemble of characters so this didn't really work.

We now have episodes with a real plot with a proper conclusion. They've kept the same humor including the "adult" stuff. They addressed basically every main gripe about the show. I think you guys are looking too hard for reasons to not like it.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
As someone who doesn't really have much nostalgia / affection for the old Muppets but loves the style, humour and direction of the new movies, I thought this show was absolutely fantastic.

It has its own sharp satirical wit and slightly dark humour, but is still wacky and outrageous enough that kids would enjoy it.

Coming into this thread halfway through the season, i was surprised to read such negative reactions to the first few episodes. I was happy to see the general acceptance flip as the season went on and more people warmed to it like i had.

I felt the show was just starting to hit its stride when they decided to halt production and focus on 'retooling' - even worse, it sounded like they were listening to the loudest complainers who simply want the world to be 1978 again and probably wouldnt be happy with it regardless.

And indeed that first episode back was kind of a doozy. Thankfully the second episode was a much bigger improvement and i can see the show potentially landing on its feet again. You know, if it isnt cancelled.

How does US rating systems work anyway? Surely key audiences of this show would be watching it online on Hulu or whatever rather than on television. Thats how ive been watching it. (Not American, but i access Hulu through a VPN).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Pretty dark jokes so far.

-Divorce
-Depression
-BBQ
-Eggs
-Dog eaten

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty weird between your blue roommate and a chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Isometric Bacon posted:

How does US rating systems work anyway? Surely key audiences of this show would be watching it online on Hulu or whatever rather than on television. Thats how ive been watching it. (Not American, but i access Hulu through a VPN).

There are various ways for tabulating rankings, but traditionally the ones people care about only focus on people viewing the night of original broadcast. Recently they've added DVR and other broadcast metrics so watching through Hulu would be picked up, but it's not exactly established right now.

• Locked thread