Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Tell me someone got a screenshot of it because it's deleted now.

Deadspin have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dumb fans hated A-Rod almost from the beginning because they viewed him as a choker. If anything he's more popular now after the steroid stuff.

There was an article a while back where he was like "I don't know why people hate me, is it because I'm handsome, because I'm bi-racial, because I'm rich, because I'm really good at baseball, who knows?" A-Rod owns.

leokitty posted:

He wears a suit everywhere he goes these days except like, the beach and golf course based on his pictures.

There's that story when the Boston execs were trying to trade for him and they arrived in the middle of the night, planning to meet the next day, but they stopped by A-Rod's hotel room and he was wearing a full suit at like 3 am.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I'm basically agnostic on ARod but y'all beeping and booping trying to calculate how someone could hate him are being pretty silly

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just don't understand what's to hate about A-Rod,

Admittedly this resulted in maximum hilarity, but still it's why I'm not a fan. That and just the act of being a Yankee.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A-Rod is basically the most hated sports figure in Seattle alongside Howard Schultz and Ken Behring with the way he left.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

"A-Rod is really cool and good" lol stop beep bopping nerds you can't calculate how to like a human

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

howe_sam posted:

Admittedly this resulted in maximum hilarity, but still it's why I'm not a fan. That and just the act of being a Yankee.

I hate him because of the funniest thing to ever happen on a baseball diamond

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I hate arod.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

If it is okay to knock the ball out of the catcher's glove, then it is okay to knock the ball out of the first baseman's glove. Alex Rod did nothing wrong.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

howe_sam posted:

Is there video of this?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Colonel Whitey posted:

Is there video of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxPNcrvR46Q

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

god bronson arroyo's hair was worse than i remembered it

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

also joe buck and tim mccarver screaming "no!!!" like someone had their kids hostage is the best part of that video

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

straight up brolic posted:

also joe buck and tim mccarver screaming "no!!!" like someone had their kids hostage is the best part of that video

I forgot how amazing that entire sequence was. I was LIVID at the time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Groucho Marxist posted:

I hate him because of the funniest thing to ever happen on a baseball diamond

Well, in the moment, the loving Yankees were going to win again, this time because the dipshit who was supposed to be on the Red Sox, but wasn't because the loving Commissioner's office nixed the deal, cheated egregiously, and oh my god I will die before the Red Sox ever win...

And then the umps got the call right and it was hilarious, but in the moment :argh:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
And miracles of miracles, it was the second time in the game that the umps got together and (correctly) changed rulings in the Sox favor, taking place at Yankee Stadium in a pre-instant replay world.

The Anti-Maier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkXPxy_e1sI

drat that ALCS was pretty great.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

you can't love baseball if you don't love Al from Miami :colbert:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I was honestly in disbelief that someone would try that in a playoff game, more than anything. I'm surprised nobody's posted the version with him carrying a badly drawn purse on one arm.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tony Phillips posted:

And miracles of miracles, it was the second time in the game that the umps got together and (correctly) changed rulings in the Sox favor, taking place at Yankee Stadium in a pre-instant replay world.

The Anti-Maier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkXPxy_e1sI

drat that ALCS was pretty great.
I miss old TV bugs.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

gently caress my freshman year of college was so long ago that some current baseball fans reference it as "something I saw once on a documentary". :smith:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
A-Rod is loving awesome and I love him forever.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Ahahaha thank you

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Also, he's the guy running across the field after the helmet.

I have a theory that ARod is actually 12 years old. His mind never ages, only his body and he's just trying to do what he thinks he's supposed to do to fit in with an adult world he doesn't belong in.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's a shame the clip cuts off my favorite part, when the riot police line the field. That series was bananas.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

They need to bring in the outfield walls in NPB like 10 feet.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/webm/yrr6.webm

Such a beautiful bat-flip, wasted.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

howe_sam posted:

I'm still kinda sad this play got overturned. I mean yeah it was totally against the rules and letting it stand would have been Jeffrey Maier x 1000 but oh could imagine the crazy hysteria that would have resulted had the Sox lost that game and their comeback attempt because of that play?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Everblight posted:

They need to bring in the outfield walls in NPB like 10 feet.

(video)

That's KBO, not NPB.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Everblight posted:

you found the first bat flip that would genuinely make me angry, and it's exclusively because he didn't hit a loving homer

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
You should be able to tell apart hangul and kanji but :lol: it even says MyKBO in the lower lefthand corner. :cmon:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

New Concept Hole posted:

You should be able to tell apart hangul and kanji but :lol: it even says MyKBO in the lower lefthand corner. :cmon:
:goonsay:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Here's a simple trick to tell Korean from Chinese/Japanese:

Korean has lots of little circles in it and the other two don't

Use it to look worldly to those who don't know

Poque posted:

you found the first bat flip that would genuinely make me angry, and it's exclusively because he didn't hit a loving homer

Does this mean you hate Rougned Odor :ohdear:

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 12, 2016

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Puig flips on doubles sometimes too, no?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Puig flips on doubles sometimes too, no?
nah, just postseason triples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STUJZUMrDFY

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
MLB The Show is out for Playstation the end of March. If you have any interest feel free to talk about it in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764003

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Why are people so upset about A-Rod hitting a ball out of a glove? The play was reviewed and he was ruled out for interference. He would have been out regardless.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
It was pre-replay and there was a definite possibility of Yankees bullshit happening and the play being allowed to stand.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Why are people so upset about A-Rod hitting a ball out of a glove? The play was reviewed and he was ruled out for interference. He would have been out regardless.

I believe it was because that is a chump-rear end clown move.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I used to hate ARod but when he basically clowned Selig and the Yankees and was unapologetic about it, I have since changed my tune. Now I love that weirdo and hope he gets an announcer job after his career is over. (Which hopefully doesn't end until he hits 756 just so everyone's head explodes)

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Dingleberry Jones posted:

I used to hate ARod but when he basically clowned Selig and the Yankees and was unapologetic about it, I have since changed my tune. Now I love that weirdo and hope he gets an announcer job after his career is over. (Which hopefully doesn't end until he hits 756 just so everyone's head explodes)

He should hit 762, then immediately retire.

If you split up A-Rod between his pre-Yankees career and his Yankees career, you get two hall of famers:

A-Rod the shortstop, 1994-2003: .308/.382/.581, 345 HR, 144 OPS+, 63.5 bWAR, 1 MVP award and 3 other top-3 finishes
A-Rod the third baseman/DH, 2004-present: .287/.383/.530, 342 HR, 140 OPS+, 55.3 bWAR, 2 MVP awards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
The Blue Jays had beef with A-Rod because he called off a left-side infielder during a routine pop-up. The ball dropped and A-Rod made it to third (I think).

• Locked thread