Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Austrian mook posted:

I was actually referring to the old one. I didn't notice it change. I've played Smash Bros.

So, are the maps better? That killed me from re-playing Awakening and I was so loving bored by the end of the campaign that I lost interest. The dual up mechnic is bad, it just means your'e going to have half the units that you field most of the time because it's so broken.

I think he was adressing me at that point.

Both map design and pair up are greatly improved (in the latter case with a massive nerf).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They changed the dual mechanic and enemies use them frequently.

All the games have better maps and varied objectives.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm glad that his name is Forrest now because now I can make Forrest Gump jokes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

I was actually referring to the old one. I didn't notice it change. I've played Smash Bros.

So, are the maps better? That killed me from re-playing Awakening and I was so loving bored by the end of the campaign that I lost interest. The dual up mechnic is bad, it just means your'e going to have half the units that you field most of the time because it's so broken.

Can't really speak about the maps but I can comment on dual up mechanics. The maximum bonus you can get from pairing up is +5 and no longer can the second unit join in on the attack.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 12, 2016

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Dual guard happens more consistently. And if you're in attack stance then dual attack is also more consistent.

And enemies can use both pair up stances as well.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Some people inherently hate the idea of things being removed from a game on principle.

I'm one of those people, I don't even like swimsuit outfits in games or whatever but the idea of localizers acting as moral gatekeepers or whatever is really off-putting and patronizing. :geno:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I found this, and it's pretty great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

the maps are the best in the series by a long mile. and pair up got massively nerfed. most of the time units won't be in guard stance.

Senerio posted:

I found this, and it's pretty great.

it isnt, actually

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That image couldn't be more /v/ if it tried.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

And yet it was made on tumblr.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it could whine about women not dating them

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I think that new translation is stupid but also don't think it's a big deal. Well, peace.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Is there any consensus on which campaign is the better written of the two starter campaigns or are they both equally trite? Also, is there any notable difference in the overall difficulty assuming you choose not to grind in Birthright?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

birthright has stronger enemies, conquest has more varied map objectives.

birthright is probably better written in that it's a simpler story told in a fairly normal way, so it's hard to screw up. the conquest characters are more interesting as a whole, though.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I was leaning towards Conquest anyway so thanks for clearing that up but I'm gonna be real disappointed if there aren't any gay anime ninja babes in Nohr :(

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Philip Rivers posted:

I was leaning towards Conquest anyway so thanks for clearing that up but I'm gonna be real disappointed if there aren't any gay anime ninja babes in Nohr :(

The gay ninja in Nohr is sadly male.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Supremezero posted:

The gay ninja in Nohr is sadly male.

Noooooo fuckkkkkkkkkk

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

There are no gay anime ninja babes. Birthright has a gay anime babe though and you can pass ninja to her if you pick it as a subclass I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the gay stuff in this game is really dumbly implemented and its best not to pin any hopes on it

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Yeah I imagine. I'm still a little sad I couldn't marry Sully though so hopefully it'll be at least a marginal improvement over that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

So this game has swimsuits or something? Or had them, since it appears the english version removed them all and the internet is crying. :shrug:

*runs in from the furthest horizon* PREORDER CANCELED

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

Yeah I imagine. I'm still a little sad I couldn't marry Sully though so hopefully it'll be at least a marginal improvement over that.
i mean, there's a girl, that you can gay marry, but she's one of the kids, and she's also a reincarnation of tharja, and also you don't get a kid from it, and also she's only in hoshido

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean, there's a girl, that you can gay marry, but she's one of the kids, and she's also a reincarnation of tharja, and also you don't get a kid from it, and also she's only in hoshido

thats somehow even worse than i imagined :wtc:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im gonna gay marry the reincartion of tharja. word up.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Yeah like good for Tharja though finally getting together with the MC

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I hope the gay stuff in future FE games is improved. Like I'm kinda surprised they put it in at all but at least let me have kids and at least more than literally one option per gender.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Or at least one option for each gender in both games. Like seriously? They couldn't have even made the two queer characters be nonexclusive ones?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what i dont understand is, if it's going to be one option per gender, why not the butler/maid. theyre in every route. it's way simpler than the nonsense they came up with.

i can get the one option per gender thing, babysteps and all, i can even sort of get no kids since gay adoption is in a weird place in japan and not to mention this is a game mostly made by old japanese dudes, but why do lesbians go to hoshido and gay men go to nohr.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm gonna guess the gay pairings were added later in development, maybe at the request of NOA. As for why they went with route exclusives it's possible they decided to go with overall less important characters, otherwise they may have gone with Felicia/Jakob like endorph suggested, or maybe Azura and Silas? That's what I'd have went with at least.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

what i dont understand is, if it's going to be one option per gender, why not the butler/maid. theyre in every route. it's way simpler than the nonsense they came up with.

i can get the one option per gender thing, babysteps and all, i can even sort of get no kids since gay adoption is in a weird place in japan and not to mention this is a game mostly made by old japanese dudes, but why do lesbians go to hoshido and gay men go to nohr.

Probably because they already did a gender thing for the butler/maid (which you get first).

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Endorph posted:

but why do lesbians go to hoshido and gay men go to nohr.

To make sure we know we're gonna take it up the rear end in Nohr in every conceivable way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, it's possible they decided based on personality, since Tharja is clearly interested in even the female avatar and Rhajatatatata is just her 2.0 but less creepy, and Niles expresses interest in Leo at one point. but they really didn't think this through at all.

Supremezero posted:

Probably because they already did a gender thing for the butler/maid (which you get first).

they could have just given you a choice between them instead of deciding it based on gender.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah you could equip them. idk why people are mad since the combat models in this game aren't exactly high res and that's the only time they show up.

oh, i thought they were taking out the swimsuit photos. glad it's just some clothes for the crappy 3d models

also i would gay marry Jakob in a heartbeat

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Not even FactsAreUseless has the power to salvage the Fire Emblem threads.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Well at least you can straight-marry a queer character in Conquest. :sigh:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Chickenfrogman posted:

Not even FactsAreUseless has the power to salvage the Fire Emblem threads.

Embrace the garbage heap. It is truly where we all belong.

Philip Rivers posted:

Well at least you can straight-marry a queer character in Conquest. :sigh:

That's a can of worms we really shouldn't open until people get a look at what was changed about her and her supports. Otherwise we're going to have the same old and very pointless arguments we already had a hundred times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

still less insulting than bioware

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

still less insulting than bioware

I only ever played mass effect 1, please elaborate.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

On the flip-side, are marriages still monogamous in Fates, or can Corrin wed multiple spouses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

On the flip-side, are marriages still monogamous in Fates, or can Corrin sire multiple spouses?
i don't think you know what the word sire means

• Locked thread