Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I just got a copy of Dropsy in the monthly Humble Bundle how is this even a thing rarely have I been so overjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the recommendations gang, chugging through the Bravely Default demo now and liking it even though I apparently got really bad at jRPGs at some point. FFT and Dragon's Dogma are on the horizon too. And I could just finish FF5A and FFTA, I never actually beat either of them :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Thanks for the recommendations gang, chugging through the Bravely Default demo now and liking it even though I apparently got really bad at jRPGs at some point. FFT and Dragon's Dogma are on the horizon too. And I could just finish FF5A and FFTA, I never actually beat either of them :v:

Bravely Default is intentionally hard. You're expected to abuse its various systems and it gives you a good deal of control over its difficulty.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

al-azad posted:

Bravely Default is intentionally hard. You're expected to abuse its various systems and it gives you a good deal of control over its difficulty.

Bravely Default has awesome difficulty setting adjustment. Nothing can beat TWEWY on that, though.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 6, 2016

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I have a hankering to play an RPG that has components of class/job switching, where you can level up you character(s) in different roles to get new abilities that you can then mix and match. Stuff like Final Fantasy V, FFTA, or even Fire Emblem Awakening I think has some of that (I never got far enough into it to experience it, I tried). It doesn't even have to be a traditional turn-based RPG, but that style of job ability customization is what I'm really looking for. Nintendo handheld (3DS/DS/GBA) would be my top choice of platform but I also have a Wii on-hand and will hopefully be getting a new laptop this spring.

Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light was a kind of sort of not really semi-reimagining of the original Final Fantasy for the DS. It was really simplified combat but there was job-switching. Basically it was all about hats.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I love FPS games and especially games which try new settings.

I loved the Serious Sam games for going with the 'ancient temples and cities' bit. Lots of games (Quake series, Killzone series, Halo, et al) go for the 'alien world' which is also super fun. Bioshock goes for underwater/aerial stuff. COD:MW and Homefront went for urban/suburban settings which was a fun change of pace from the desert combat.

What are some other good FPS games with interesting locales for me to meander through and enjoy the scenery? Anything on the horizon that looks intriguing? I strongly prefer PC to console for FPS games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

khy posted:

I loved the Serious Sam games for going with the 'ancient temples and cities' bit. Lots of games (Quake series, Killzone series, Halo, et al) go for the 'alien world' which is also super fun. Bioshock goes for underwater/aerial stuff. COD:MW and Homefront went for urban/suburban settings which was a fun change of pace from the desert combat.

What are some other good FPS games with interesting locales for me to meander through and enjoy the scenery? Anything on the horizon that looks intriguing? I strongly prefer PC to console for FPS games.
New Shadow Warrior, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, and Wolfenstein: The New Order for starters.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I rather like the crowded underground settlements and desolate surface in the Metro series, if you haven't played those. They're definitely interspersed with some less than interesting subway tunnels, though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think Last Light is more interesting for that and is overall the better game, but 2033 does have the Library...

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Accordion Man posted:

New Shadow Warrior, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, and Wolfenstein: The New Order for starters.

All of this, plus Blood Dragon, everybody should play Blood Dragon at least once.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

khy posted:

Hard Reset has a pretty cool environment with very Serious Sam style action, although personally I kinda hated the guns.

Bioshock has probably the best environment there ever was made to ogle at in an FPS. Bioshock 2 and Infinity are excellent as well.

Prey did some really surreal out-there stuff like walking on walls and going into the spirit realm to talk to your native american ancestors to get help fighting aliens in zero-gravity.

The upcoming Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is going to be an open-world set in a sorta cyberpunk/dystopia/utopia with beautiful graphics and parkour.

The original Unreal (not Unreal Tournament) was the original of these, simple FPS with really unique, beautiful worlds. Very old these days but still probably holds up and you can get it for super cheap.

Angry Lobster posted:

All of this, plus Blood Dragon, everybody should play Blood Dragon at least once.

Yes everybody play Blood Dragon.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have finished 2033 but I need to replay Last Light, last time I tried (Ages ago) It kept crashing on me. I've gone through numerous hardware and software changes since then so I must attempt again. Metro 2033 was fantastic though.

That also reminds me, I need to install and try Mirrors Edge. I picked it up super, super, super cheap (Less than a buck) via sale and need to give it a try. Thank you for reminding me of those, goons!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

khy posted:

Spec Ops has excellent post-apo Dubai, Bulletstorm has lots of different locales and STALKER has post-apo Ukraine. All are great, but STALKER leans a lot towards RPG rather than shooter.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Most of the environments are urban areas and office buildings, but the combat in the original FEAR still holds up really well today.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in games with really interesting loot systems. I don't think Diablo and Diablo clones have interesting loot systems, or at least not the type I'm looking for. Rather, I'm thinking of games like those in the Infinity Engine series(and, by extension Pillars of Eternity) where equipment has unique features beyond randomly generated features(so the Elder Scrolls is also out). I am particulary interested in games with lots of fluff background text for their equipment, where unique items have their own stories attached to them.

I'm indifferent to genre, but I think this will most commonly seen in RPGs. Strategy games with neat backstories for technology and units are also cool: Age of Wonders does this well.

I understand Dark Souls is supposed to be good for this, but I've tried and really don't enjoy the gameplay.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am interested in games with really interesting loot systems. I don't think Diablo and Diablo clones have interesting loot systems, or at least not the type I'm looking for. Rather, I'm thinking of games like those in the Infinity Engine series(and, by extension Pillars of Eternity) where equipment has unique features beyond randomly generated features(so the Elder Scrolls is also out). I am particulary interested in games with lots of fluff background text for their equipment, where unique items have their own stories attached to them.

I'm indifferent to genre, but I think this will most commonly seen in RPGs. Strategy games with neat backstories for technology and units are also cool: Age of Wonders does this well.

I understand Dark Souls is supposed to be good for this, but I've tried and really don't enjoy the gameplay.

I don't know how far you've gotten, but I will say that you shouldn't toss DS aside until you've beaten O&S at least once without any player summons.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

future ghost posted:

Most of the environments are urban areas and office buildings, but the combat in the original FEAR still holds up really well today.

Ahhh I loved FEAR! I wish that free multiplayer in games was more of a thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Buried alive posted:

I don't know how far you've gotten, but I will say that you shouldn't toss DS aside until you've beaten O&S at least once without any player summons.

This is a joke, right?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I think a more fair comment would be "don't discount :darksouls: too soon, it may take some time to 'click'." But then I am biased through thinking dark souls is the best game I have ever played. It fits the "unique items with stories" so, so well too.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

khy posted:

Bulletstorm has a lot of unique setpieces, if you've not played it.

It's also (one of) the most fun FPS ever made

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am particulary interested in games with lots of fluff background text for their equipment, where unique items have their own stories attached to them.

All the Drakengards :getin:

Don't play Drakengard

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

All the Drakengards :getin:

Don't play Drakengard

ironironironironironironironironironironironironiron.
The iron was beaten into shape. It stood alone in battle.
ironironironironironironironironironironironironiron.

killkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkill.
The iron killed with abandon. That was its reason to exist.
killkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkill.

meatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeat.
The iron took countless lives to make its dream come true.
meatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeat.

bloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodblood.
The iron shed bloody tears, for it could not be human again.
bloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodblood.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You should play Nier though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This is a joke, right?

No? It's a reasonable suggestion.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Hm yes don't discount this game until you've played 20-40 hours of it, and don't you dare summon help for probably the most heavily co-oped boss, lest you play the game wrong and end up with the wrong opinions.

A lot of people bounce off Dark Souls and end up loving it when they come back to it later but "Don't give up until two thirds of the way through the game, and make sure you fight the hardest boss solo" is pretty laughable.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The hardest boss? I thought we were talking about O&S :confused:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Buried alive posted:

Yeah this is a really stupid thing to say.

HenryEx posted:

The hardest boss? I thought we were talking about O&S :confused:

Har har har. Have you ever actually even fought O&S without summoning somebody to help? Didn't think so.

Seriously guys this is the 'recommend me a game, again' thread, not the 'dark souls derails and dick waiving' thread.

I say this as a huge souls fan: Shut the gently caress up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Regardless of whether it's the right game for them, I really can't think of another game that compares in terms of giving loot background and making it important in context. I'd be interested if anybody can, though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you do give Dark Souls another shot, see if you can find a patient friend who's really good at the game and have them join you for coop. It's a lot trickier to coordinate coop with friends in DS1 than it should be but they could tear the game in half for you while you focus on exploration and items.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can anyone recommend me good 3rd person tactical shooters for PS3/4. After my MGS marathon I've been wanting some games where you plan your own course of action.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

prometheusbound2 posted:

If you like Pillars of Eternity then there are a lot of DnD-style RPGS that would likely fill that space too. Baldur's Gate has been remastered, Never winter Nights, Planetscape: Torment, even Wasteland 2.

Dark Souls is fun but the game play really is the game, the story is secondary

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Regarding loot, Apotheon doesn't have rich lore but makes a distinction between mundane disposable garbage and blessed weapons of the gods. All the weapons have unique handling and they're disposable so the game encourages frequent swapping but finding that piece of cool loot in Apollo's palace or the depths of Hades makes you feel super powerful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KillHour posted:

Regardless of whether it's the right game for them, I really can't think of another game that compares in terms of giving loot background and making it important in context. I'd be interested if anybody can, though.

Some loot in dark souls has unique mechanics but its the exception more than the rule. The real strength of different weapons in souls games is the different fighting styles, but that's not really what he's describing. (plus lots of weapons overlap styles and just have different stats anyways, which is what he's saying he DOES NOT want)

I would actually say dark souls is a bad example of what he wants. You're focusing on the fact that dark souls has lots of world lore and details in its loot, and he did ask for items with lots of fluff so I guess that works. But it sounded to me like he wanted unique abilities more than anything else.

Ironically he's very wrong about Diablo. If you've only played the beginning few levels of diablo, yeah, its all randomly generated loot. But anybody who has gotten any amount of good at Diablo 2 or diablo 3 knows its almost all about the uniques / legendaries. Those are all specifically named and have specific unique abilities you often can't get from skills or anywhere else in the game, and most of them are so unique and powerful and game changing they actually enable entirely alternative builds and play styles. Getting the right legendary can completely transform a class. Sets as well.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

You're focusing on the fact that dark souls has lots of world lore and details in its loot, but that's not at all what he's asking for as far as I can tell.

Perhaps more to the point, I'm focusing on "I am particulary interested in games with lots of fluff background text for their equipment, where unique items have their own stories attached to them.", and that plus Fashion Souls and weapons with different movesets might be enough to qualify. Mostly I can't think of any other games that fit that quote, at least not ones that aren't made by Taro Yoko and thus not fit for human consumption.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

Perhaps more to the point, I'm focusing on "I am particulary interested in games with lots of fluff background text for their equipment, where unique items have their own stories attached to them.", and that plus Fashion Souls and weapons with different movesets might be enough to qualify. Mostly I can't think of any other games that fit that quote, at least not ones that aren't made by Taro Yoko and thus not fit for human consumption.

Yeah I missed that in my first read and edited my post when I realized it but you beat me to it.

Souls definitely has the best details in item descriptions of any game I can think of. Diablo though again actually has some cool details in the flavor of its legendaries.

Other games that do stuff like that... I dunno. Not borderlands lol.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe DF will be what he's looking for in another 10 years.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Baldur's Gate has some cool loot

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Some loot in dark souls has unique mechanics but its the exception more than the rule. The real strength of different weapons in souls games is the different fighting styles, but that's not really what he's describing. (plus lots of weapons overlap styles and just have different stats anyways, which is what he's saying he DOES NOT want)

I would actually say dark souls is a bad example of what he wants. You're focusing on the fact that dark souls has lots of world lore and details in its loot, and he did ask for items with lots of fluff so I guess that works. But it sounded to me like he wanted unique abilities more than anything else.

Ironically he's very wrong about Diablo. If you've only played the beginning few levels of diablo, yeah, its all randomly generated loot. But anybody who has gotten any amount of good at Diablo 2 or diablo 3 knows its almost all about the uniques / legendaries. Those are all specifically named and have specific unique abilities you often can't get from skills or anywhere else in the game, and most of them are so unique and powerful and game changing they actually enable entirely alternative builds and play styles. Getting the right legendary can completely transform a class. Sets as well.

I am interested in unique mechanics and I will check out Diablo, as you're correct that I've only played the initial stages.

Never meant to set off a fight, but I guess that happens when you mention dark souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hopefully this is okay to ask here:
Can anyone help me find a tower defense game I only dimly remember the details of? It had a really interesting story, where the player character/avatar had willingly become non-corporeal in order to defend their homeworld(s) from interstellar invaders. If I recall, the various 'towers' you could place were actually fragments of your psyche - like, Anger was the short-range rapid-fire tower, Grief was the slow long-range tower, etc.
I could swear I owned it at some point, but it's not in either of my GOG or Steam libraries, and maybe it was just a free indie game I found somewhere...

Ring any bells?