Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is like day Thatcher died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I feel that Obama has enough respect for separation of powers and public opinion to not do a recess SCOTUS appointment.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Wow, Scalia just died of apparent natural causes

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/feb/13/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-dead-at-79?CMP=twt_gu

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/13/supreme-court-justice-antonin-sclalia-dead-at-79-nbc-news.html

e: Oh I'm way behind

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

poo poo, that's twice now

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Allaniis posted:

I feel that Obama has enough respect for separation of powers and public opinion to not do a recess SCOTUS appointment.

If the Senate won't allow a vote, then he'd be justified, IMO.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I feel no sorrow

I know it's bad karma, but gently caress that guy. I'm actively happy about his death.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Assuming Obama nominates someone mainstream with impeccable credentials, will the Republicans really go through with an 11 month filibuster? Seems like that would benefit the Democrats more, as it would really piss off the center.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Do you think he suffered?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Relentless posted:

I know it's bad karma, but gently caress that guy. I'm actively happy about his death.

Same but for Ginsberg.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Konstantin posted:

Assuming Obama nominates someone mainstream with impeccable credentials, will the Republicans really go through with an 11 month filibuster? Seems like that would benefit the Democrats more, as it would really piss off the center.

yes, they don't want anyone anywhere near the center after they got burned with souter

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Not saying that recent GOP congresses haven't been spectacularly bad but... wouldn't it be super difficult politically for them to block a qualified candidate for the Supreme Court?

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
Quick someone find his phylactery

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Are there cases that have already been decided, but the judgement hasn't been released yet? What happens to them if they relied on Scalia to get a majority?

Edit: Does the Senate really need to filibuster? The majority leader could just refuse to bring the confirmation up for a vote, right?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Wow, Ginsberg outlived him.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
This changes so much

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Konstantin posted:

will the Republicans really go through with an 11 month filibuster?

Yes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Can we celebrate in the streets the way the British did when Thatcher died?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

This changes so much

Only so much as this election is going to be so much more annoying.

Obama's not going to be able to get a new judge appointed

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Konstantin posted:

Would it really be an 11 month filibuster? Is Obama going to nominate someone Tuesday?

Edit: Any Republican who agrees to a pro-Roe v Wade justice is kissing their career goodbye, so they'll filibuster for decades if they have to.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Konstantin posted:

I definitely think it would hurt Republicans. Enough to matter, I dunno. Who knows, there might even be some sort of a deal for a center-ish nominee.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dexo posted:

But there's no right wing majority on the court anymore, they can't gently caress up any more poo poo.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

Would it really be an 11 month filibuster? Is Obama going to nominate someone Tuesday?

Okay, let's say 9 months. That's still a really long time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

You don't need to filibuster if you control the Senate. You just never bring the nominee up for a vote.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

ozmunkeh posted:

We can only hope.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PerniciousKnid posted:

Edit: Any Republican who agrees to a pro-Roe v Wade justice is kissing their career goodbye, so they'll filibuster for decades if they have to.

Why not? There's no way he hasn't had a short list since 2008.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

cravius posted:

Same but for Ginsberg.

Why do you wish death on America's cool grandma?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
"In a four-four decision..."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How well can the Supreme court even function down one person?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Torrannor posted:

But there's no right wing majority on the court anymore, they can't gently caress up any more poo poo.

Until RBG dies and President Trump nominates Ted Cruz.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Just one less vote and more non-binding precedents.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

pretty well, there are lots of decisions that aren't 5-4. just not important, national-news-monopolizing ones.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
My god, is it true? Somebody found the phylactery at last? Was it Ginsburg?

Holy poo poo, this next election just got even more important...

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dexo posted:

Time for a recess appointment :)

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

evilweasel posted:

You don't need to filibuster if you control the Senate. You just never bring the nominee up for a vote.

Politically, that's pretty much the same thing to public perception.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Rest in Piss

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Until RBG dies and President Trump nominates Ted Cruz.

Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

At least that'd never get through the Senate.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ozmunkeh posted:

He died peacefully in his sleep after a nice day of quail hunting.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
God, I wish that Obama would nominate himself, or let it get dragged out until President Clinton can nominate him. I can't think of anything that would make more delicious Republican tears.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

A fair point.

I looked it up for my own reference, and Sotomayor and Kagan were nominated in May and confirmed in August, just for the sake of setting expectations.

Winter Stormer posted:

Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

At least that'd never get through the Senate.
They'd be happy to get rid of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So are 4-4 decisions just never resolved?