Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
sinister camila

ps belka better ask if love can bloom on the battlefield

i'll be loving pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Exaccus posted:

and one more thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBxYhEMnkBo

the localized CorrinxCamilla S support

that is both hilarious and messed up

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol, can't wait for the hoshido ones

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I was on the fence about whether it was totally creepy or actually kinda sweet but jeez that bit where the VA starts speaking :stonk:

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 14, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Exaccus posted:

another localized name:

Shinonome is now Shiro (yes with an R, dont ask me why)

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Exaccus posted:

and one more thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBxYhEMnkBo

the localized CorrinxCamilla S support

Her voice is so bad.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The justification for second generation units is the dumbest poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

yeah and even JP reviews complained about it a lot so odds are either the kids will actually be relevant again or they'll just be gone in the next game

im hoping for the latter tbh, kids are neat mechanically but they're always kind of awkward to write around and I'd prefer the game giving you a dozen prepromotes/actual recruits over weird gimmick children. Fates is a little better since the kids scale with your level but you still can't replace the feeling that you're just swapping out one of their parents for a better version of their parent.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

fire emblem has always been about good parenting

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
return to classic FE

gaiden missions

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

General Morden posted:

return to classic FE

gaiden missions

hey, this game has one!!!

no actual requirements for it though so its' weird they just didn't make it part of the actual campaign. it's not even like donny in awakening where the map itself has a gimmick.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah and even JP reviews complained about it a lot so odds are either the kids will actually be relevant again or they'll just be gone in the next game

im hoping for the latter tbh, kids are neat mechanically but they're always kind of awkward to write around and I'd prefer the game giving you a dozen prepromotes/actual recruits over weird gimmick children. Fates is a little better since the kids scale with your level but you still can't replace the feeling that you're just swapping out one of their parents for a better version of their parent.

Yeah. People like it in Awakening so they felt the need to shoe-horn it into this game. But they forgot that people liked it in Awakening because it made sense (atleast by FE standards) in the greater scope of the game. It probably won't be brought back for FE15.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hope FE15 is a return to consoles

Not because I like consoles better, but the Tellius games were good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The way people complained about the justification made it seem like the end of the loving world but it was actually harmless and silly.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Is "pocket dimension" really that much worse than "DBZ time travel" as a justification?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

The way people complained about the justification made it seem like the end of the loving world but it was actually harmless and silly.
oh yeah i dont think it ruins fates' gripping plot or anything, it's just kind of dumb and makes the 'you liked this in awakening' pandering feel more blatant.

Philip Rivers posted:

Is "pocket dimension" really that much worse than "DBZ time travel" as a justification?
it's not that the mechanics of it make more or less sense, it's why it happens. the kids time traveled for reasons that were relevant to the plot, lucina was a main character, there was an entire set of DLC exploring their future that was some of the best writing in the game, and it was frankly the only reason why you might take validar and grima seriously as villains.

in fates it has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, none of the kids get any spotlight. it's just an awkward plot tumor that is never really explored before or after, and there's no real reason they couldn't have just kept the kids in the castle itself, where everyone else lives.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 14, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Philip Rivers posted:

When you have the parents dumping their kids in there? Yes.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Philip Rivers posted:

Hey, in this game, the children mechanic shares two things in common with DBZ: the hyperbolic time chamber and bad parents.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thread is back, woo hoo!

Can I post that gif of me petting the anime video game character, I really like it

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I could really go without the kids gimmick in FE. Maybe make it show up twice every thirteen games or so? That seems like a good amount for me.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

The thread is back, woo hoo!

Can I post that gif of me petting the anime video game character, I really like it

DO IT! loving DO IT!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
http://i.imgur.com/JOVCgu9.webm

Exaccus
Jan 2, 2015

"Hmph. Not much of a selection, is there?"

rip junpei's old av

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
you could get athena from a gaiden mission so i think they're good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

General Morden posted:

you could get athena from a gaiden mission so i think they're good

list of cool characters you get from gaidens:

shiva, tina, canas, jaffar, athena, etzel

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

list of cool characters you get from gaidens:

shiva, tina, canas, jaffar, athena, etzel

I liked Farina.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

I liked Farina.

not a gaiden!!!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TWIST FIST posted:

not a gaiden!!!

Oh. poo poo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i've never played hector story mode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

i've never played hector story mode
farina is the best character in game personality-wise, and her name is the best pun in the universe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

florina: flower
fiora: flower
farina: flour, as in the kind used to make dough. dough, as in money. because she's greedy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
man who localized fe7

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

treehouse

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they do good work

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can't really thank treehouse for that one, those were their names in the jp version

except florina were flolina, because l/r issues.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Looper posted:

they do good work

While I agree, that wasn't a localization choice

The only character names localized in FE7

FE8

Path of Radiance

As you can see, the further along you get, the more they localized.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

oh yeah i dont think it ruins fates' gripping plot or anything, it's just kind of dumb and makes the 'you liked this in awakening' pandering feel more blatant.

it's not that the mechanics of it make more or less sense, it's why it happens. the kids time traveled for reasons that were relevant to the plot, lucina was a main character, there was an entire set of DLC exploring their future that was some of the best writing in the game, and it was frankly the only reason why you might take validar and grima seriously as villains.

in fates it has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, none of the kids get any spotlight. it's just an awkward plot tumor that is never really explored before or after, and there's no real reason they couldn't have just kept the kids in the castle itself, where everyone else lives.

yea I kinda wish they'd just have made the kids as more first gen characters and nixed the whole children mechanic. I can understand bringing back a popular mechanic, but it doesn't seem to fit well in fates. if they do kids again, it'd be nice if it were an actual generational gap like in fe4 instead of contriving a way to make them show up at the same age as their parents

Exaccus
Jan 2, 2015

"Hmph. Not much of a selection, is there?"
To be fair, most of those fe9 names are wack

wtf Lofa

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

eugenicsing the kids was like the half the appeal of awakening to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010