Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I wind not up using the premade decks since I don't know whats in them, and I'm probably not playing aggressively enough and cycling out enough cards with how you get 2 cards per turn. Can't say its my kinda thing I guess.

I suppose the other thing is that the player pool is too limited for any sort of matchmaking to work also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Just made my first Mechazor deck for shits and giggles and just before I was about to win for the first time with Mechazor the game 502.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Stretch Marx posted:

Just made my first Mechazor deck for shits and giggles and just before I was about to win for the first time with Mechazor the game 502.

I made my first mechazor deck today as well.

First game I played with it went like this. Went first and airdropped mech on center mana then cast the 1 cost mech. Turn 2 cast the ranged mech. Turn 3 cast the last two summoned mechazor and my opponent instantly surrendered. I could get used to this.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Drakes posted:

I wind not up using the premade decks since I don't know whats in them, and I'm probably not playing aggressively enough and cycling out enough cards with how you get 2 cards per turn. Can't say its my kinda thing I guess.

I suppose the other thing is that the player pool is too limited for any sort of matchmaking to work also.

i mean you get matched with people who are your rank almost every time. the only time it gives a higher rank is when you're climbing ime

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The mmr is janky if the player pool isn't high enough. Like, a few days ago I was matched against S rank and diamond players while being at rank 10 myself. Same with gauntlet. On my last run I fought the same guy back to back and we chatted afterwards. Turns out I got him at 11-1 and 11-2, while only being 7-1 and 8-1 myself.

With that said though, the bronze/silver region of the ladder should be a bit more stable. The deck quality is probably due to the time of the season since some peeps are still climbing.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

drink_bleach posted:

I made my first mechazor deck today as well.

First game I played with it went like this. Went first and airdropped mech on center mana then cast the 1 cost mech. Turn 2 cast the ranged mech. Turn 3 cast the last two summoned mechazor and my opponent instantly surrendered. I could get used to this.

Yeah I've noticed a trend with that deck. People either immediately quit. If they don't it usually means I'm boned.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
This reminds me very strongly of Pox Nora.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
My mechazor experience has been that it ends up dispelled or annihilated more often than not. I'm pretty disappointed with my mech vanar, and its kind of drifting in a more control direction since I ended up with Zen'rui and 2x Zuryael from packs yesterday. I still need to get Vetruvian to 11 for my last freebie pack.

I'm also kind of hitting a wall with my Songhai deck, where I'm feeling the lack of certain epics/legends. I think part of the reason is that despite being a combo deck I can't help but play tempo with it and try to stay ahead on value and board control instead of holding on for a OTK combo. More often than not if I'm not contesting board control the opponent will guard themselves or lock me down making combos near impossible to pull off. But I did pull off a nice backstab against a Lyonar who thought he was safe with two minions in a line guarding his back. He just kept spamming emotes as the shrimp lady flew in, backstabbed, inner focused up to the next in line, backstabbed, inner focused up to the general, and I dropped double killing edge and saberspine seal for 20.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Gravy Train Robber posted:

My mechazor experience has been that it ends up dispelled or annihilated more often than not. I'm pretty disappointed with my mech vanar, and its kind of drifting in a more control direction since I ended up with Zen'rui and 2x Zuryael from packs yesterday. I still need to get Vetruvian to 11 for my last freebie pack.

As a Vanar player there's nothing I love more than to start seeing the stream of lovely Mechs start to dribble out of my opponent's bar.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This game is pretty good.

I feel like there is a lot more depth to it than Hearthstone just based on the mechanics, and it will only get better as more cards are introduced.

My biggest gripe with it though is every deck running the same main stack of cards: 3 Rejuvinators, 3 Jaxi, 3 Healing Mystic etc. Hopefully as more cards are introduced, especially faction cards, that things won't always be an auto include.

The rate at which you gain gold is about as twice as fast as Hearthstone.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Its certainly more grind friendly than Hearthstone, not too sure how I feel about being able to run 3 copies of stuff. Feels like it'll just lead to people always running 3x of whatever are auto includes.

Wished you didn't have to grind out your baseline cards, I feel like thats part of my negative experience in ranked when I don't have the right tools in my deck due to lacking those options.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Drakes posted:

Its certainly more grind friendly than Hearthstone, not too sure how I feel about being able to run 3 copies of stuff. Feels like it'll just lead to people always running 3x of whatever are auto includes.

Wished you didn't have to grind out your baseline cards, I feel like thats part of my negative experience in ranked when I don't have the right tools in my deck due to lacking those options.

You can get all the basics through playing vs the AI, which is what I do when I don't feel like losing all my progress because I have Vetruvian at level 4 or whatever.

Mattavist posted:

As a Vanar player there's nothing I love more than to start seeing the stream of lovely Mechs start to dribble out of my opponent's bar.

Yeah, Vanar eats Mech alive. The only people my mech list seems to beat with any regularity are like Abyssian or Magmar, and I hardly ever see them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

mech vanar doesn't solely rely on mechaz0r to win, he's just a must-answer threat

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

GreyPowerVan posted:

mech vanar doesn't solely rely on mechaz0r to win, he's just a must-answer threat

Well I have the Jax/Razorback combo that wins games more often than the Mechazor. I'm just thinking I'm better off focusing on the endgame and running more efficient minions than mechs. I'm just a bit disappointed in Mechazor despite it being fun the few times the opponent can't immediately answer it.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I broke down and made a Songhai spell based burn deck which I have to admit is more my play style. I think getting destroyed by them made me jaded.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Stretch Marx posted:

I broke down and made a Songhai spell based burn deck which I have to admit is more my play style. I think getting destroyed by them made me jaded.

Whats your opinion on Eight Gates? I haven't seen it in any lists, and I haven't tried it since I'm lacking a lot of the other stuff Spell Songhai needs. I keep thinking using it with Ghost Lightning would be nice/unexpected vs a lot of lists.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I think the problem is that that's about the only card it combos well with, and Ghost Lightning is pretty lackluster on its own right now, at least until Abyssian gets its poo poo together.

Eight Gates is near the top of the list for cards that stand to get a lot better as the pool expands though.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Eight gates used to be popular when Songhai went full burn. That strategy was nerfed about 3 months ago, but seems to be slowly coming back.

If you think mechazor is bad, you just aren't seeing it played correctly. Mechazor decks remain completely viable all the way into S-rank. As mentioned above the trick is to have mechazor as one of the possible win conditions in the deck, not just the sole threat.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I could see Eight Gates (which I don't have) with a couple of Phoenix Fires could be fun if you got Mana Vortex handy. My current spell deck only has 11 minions in it and 4 artifacts, everything else is spells. I could easily see that combo with a Four Winds Magi and Bloodrage Mask could really piss people off.

kay2
Feb 15, 2016

by Shine
I have been playing this game on and off for a couple months now. I have to say, this game is much more enjoyable to me than hearthstone because I feel like there is less grind, less stress and you can customize a bit easier.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Megasabin posted:

Eight gates used to be popular when Songhai went full burn. That strategy was nerfed about 3 months ago, but seems to be slowly coming back.

If you think mechazor is bad, you just aren't seeing it played correctly. Mechazor decks remain completely viable all the way into S-rank. As mentioned above the trick is to have mechazor as one of the possible win conditions in the deck, not just the sole threat.

I was just a bit frustrated having hit a wall of nothing but Vetruvian last night, where I'd have lethal on the board through Jax or Mechazor, and they'll sit there replacing or drawing eight cards in a turn to either neuter one or both win cons or kill me. Or simply not being able to survive the early game with some of the lackluster mech drops.

I tweaked my deck by adding Archon and Zen'rui and its really made a difference. Do you happen to have any good Mech lists I could take a look at?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Can anyone recommend some good streams or YouTube videos for this game? Looking for some articles as well.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Can anyone recommend some good streams or YouTube videos for this game? Looking for some articles as well.

good streams are envybae and grincherz

edit: envy is pretty memey, if you don't like sneaky's stream you'd not like his. he's a good player though

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 16, 2016

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
To add onto that thescientist and cynosure are also really good streamers.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I can't stand Grincherz's stupid hat.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
All of a sudden I'm stuck in silver, getting my loving rear end handed to me every game with my Vanar deck that I made from new stuff I got out of packs, and I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing wrong. Going full-face just isn't working anymore, so I've tried controlling the baord a bit more and I'm still losing horribly. I don't want to blame bad card-draws and poo poo replacements because this game avoids those really well for the most part, but I don't know what mistakes I'm making.

+ x2 Aspect of the Mountain

Someone way better at this game tell me if there's any changes I should be making. I've got most of the good Vanar and Neutral cards (other than, somehow, the mechs for a Mechazor deck).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Jumpoff posted:

All of a sudden I'm stuck in silver, getting my loving rear end handed to me every game with my Vanar deck that I made from new stuff I got out of packs, and I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing wrong. Going full-face just isn't working anymore, so I've tried controlling the baord a bit more and I'm still losing horribly. I don't want to blame bad card-draws and poo poo replacements because this game avoids those really well for the most part, but I don't know what mistakes I'm making.

Someone way better at this game tell me if there's any changes I should be making. I've got most of the good Vanar and Neutral cards (other than, somehow, the mechs for a Mechazor deck).

get rid of loremasters and twilight sorcerers, go down to 2 razorbacks, add another jaxi, add another primus fist, add crystal cloakers. add chaos elemental or repulsor beast

honestly I don't know how well that's going to work but probably better than what you're trying to do.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
You're in between some kind of aggro deck and a midrange deck. You're missing mid-late game power like keeper of the vale, voice of the wind, jax truesight to help close out the game in a midrange deck when combined with razorback. You're going to fizzle out and you're not really playing the good aggro cards either like headhunter + mechs, snowchaser, warlock, etc.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Well, Jax is Vanar's best wincon, so that's going to cost you some games that other lists would win. I would probably prioritize crafting in this order:

+1 Jaxi (asap)
+1 Primus Fist
+3 Dancing Blades

Then start saving up for Jax.

With just basics I'd do something like:
-3 Twilight Sorc
-2 Loremaster
-3 Tiger
-2 Hearthsister

+3 Crystal Cloaker
+2 Snow Chaser
+1 Jaxi
+2 Mark of Solitude

GreyPowerVan posted:

go down to 2 razorbacks
The more I play Vanar the more I become convinced Razorback is their best faction card. I wouldn't cut it to 2.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

muon posted:

Well, Jax is Vanar's best wincon, so that's going to cost you some games that other lists would win. I would probably prioritize crafting in this order:

+1 Jaxi (asap)
+1 Primus Fist
+3 Dancing Blades

Then start saving up for Jax.

With just basics I'd do something like:
-3 Twilight Sorc
-2 Loremaster
-3 Tiger
-2 Hearthsister

+3 Crystal Cloaker
+2 Snow Chaser
+1 Jaxi
+2 Mark of Solitude

The more I play Vanar the more I become convinced Razorback is their best faction card. I wouldn't cut it to 2.

he doesn't have jaxes so razorbacks lose a lot of value. not saying they're bad but i've held one and thought "i wish this was another card" a lot.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
When I was playing a slower list with Keepers I had that happen a lot, but I've been playing this list recently:

You get a lot better early game board presence and Razorbacks allow you to trade that into good midgame control or just ending the game entirely.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Is this game a friendly introduction to card games having not ever played one legitimately? I feel that card games all hover around 4-5 big name decks pre-block (I have a few Magic friends so I've heard a few terms.. I think uhhh) so like, I don't know - I feel like these games kinda punish you for not strictly adhering to the meta. Can you customize and make a deck around a set of cards and have it feel it can contend against the bigger name decks?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

its a good game

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah, it's a good game. Like any online CCG, the net decking is real once you hit the higher play tiers but if you're content to play for fun instead of super mega rank there are plenty of entertaining options to run with that are competitive through level 10 or so. The way the game is constructed right now, free drops are pretty generous. If you're the type that doesn't mind losing value from deconstructing and then constructing cards, you can get basically any deck you'd like from ~1 month of play time - and if you prefer to keep everything you get, you should have every common, most rares, and a competitively playable amount of epics/legendaries after 2 months.

Duelyst does have more room for skill than some of it's competitors (*cough* Hearthstone *cough*), so even at the higher levels a good player can consistently beat a good deck. At some point you do kinda just have to recognize and give up on some "funny but lovely" cards, but as a general rule all the classes are competitive and have 2-3 realistic deck archetypes to compete with in the top tiers. Not all those options get played regularly because of prevailing meta, but that's not so much because those other decks aren't good but because when a skilled player can get a 60% win rate with one deck and a 75% win rate with another, the rank-is-best competitive types will go for the latter even though both decks are winning decks.

At the lower levels you can play with basically total poo poo and still wreck people so long as you understand board positioning, mana economy, card replacement, and endgame conditions. The player base has expanded a lot in the last couple months, so this may no longer be true, but in December it was quite possible to reach mid-Silver using strictly the starter decks with the basic cards.

To Vanar deck guy, I don't play enough Vanar (yet) to judge. However, I had the same issue you did my first month where it seemed like I hit a wall around level 12-13; for me, it ended up not being a wall so much as random variance, and after walking away for a few days I came back with the exact same deck and got through the last couple levels in a single win streak. Patience is key; also, try playing at a different time of day, since player quality can be much, much higher during non-peak hours.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Cromlech posted:

Is this game a friendly introduction to card games having not ever played one legitimately? I feel that card games all hover around 4-5 big name decks pre-block (I have a few Magic friends so I've heard a few terms.. I think uhhh) so like, I don't know - I feel like these games kinda punish you for not strictly adhering to the meta. Can you customize and make a deck around a set of cards and have it feel it can contend against the bigger name decks?

It's a really good game but right now there just aren't enough cards for lots of different flavors of decks.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Currently on a seven game win streak, but Diamond is still elusive. My mech vanar list is either finally hitting it's stride, Gold is easier than Silver, or I'm getting better with the deck.

Also I absolutely love that after placing in a division, you can't slide back out.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone put money into the game yet, or are you relying on quests and poo poo to buy packs? I'm starting to hit a wall where most of my opponents have netdecks. The game gives you more gold than Hearthstone, but spirit dust or whatever they call it is hard to come by. I'm afraid to disenchant anything.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I put about $8 in and it was well spent. Just ask yourself the age old value for entertainment question.

I also spent $30 for 2 hours of movie and a popcorn to see Deadpool and thought that was money well spent.

I have way more than 2 hours logged with Duelyst.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Jumpoff posted:

This is most of the way to being a tempo deck. If that appeals to you, ditch the razorbacks (too expensive for most applications) and the saberspine tigers (terrible value and you're not relying on burst) and replace them with more two drops. Other fun options are a couple snowpiercers, a couple more cheap spells since sometimes you'll get nothing in a game rendering the twilight sorcerers useless, that one loving annoying 1-drop vespyr, and maaaybe a couple keepers if you have them but with a bunch of two drops they aren't going to be great. Aspect of the mountains can theoretically be dropped too but I run them in my vanar deck because turning a two-drop into a 5/5 and taking out their minions wins me a lot of games in gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Don't dump razorback. You'll have way too much trouble killing your opponent. Just spamming early game minions and then attacking the general for 2-3 damage a hit doesn't matter when everyone is running 20 points of healing. Razorback lets you leverage the board you get with cheap minions and good tempo spells to actually do damage. It's an insanely strong card and should pretty much never be removed from any serious vanar deck.

• Locked thread