Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Stirling keeping its reputation intact, I see.

(yes I went to Glasgow why do you ask)

Hello fellow Glasgow Uni alumini!

As for dumbest poo poo I've heard, 'Japanese people don't have souls' may be up there.

From an ex of mine.

Alternatively, Hello fellow Glasgow University alumini!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Samovar posted:

As for dumbest poo poo I've heard, 'Japanese people don't have souls' may be up there.

From an ex of mine.

At least it wasn't 'Asian women have sideways vaginas.'

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Slime posted:

So he looks like his twink dad? And if God's gay, then it makes sense that his son was born via immaculate conception without him actually having to touch a woman. It's like...artificial insemination with Mary having a kid of a gay guy who wanted a child.

FYI the immaculate conception refers to the conception of Mary free of the original sin, not the conception of Jesus without sex.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

At least it wasn't 'Asian women have sideways vaginas.'

As a harmonica player, I was disappointed to find this out.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Antivehicular posted:

The stupidest poo poo you've ever heard: "Don't deny the power of oils just to sound cool, dweebs"

Seconding this. Hah.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Stoatbringer posted:

Ugh, I once had a very long discussion with someone about the ontological argument. It seems to essentially boil down to something like "I define God as being absolutely perfect in every way. Existence is more perfect than non-existence, therefore God must exist, therefore God exists, therefore Christianity is true. Accept all these definitions uncritically and don't ask any pesky questions."
Yeah, that's the core of it. It's a fairly creative argument, I'll give it that, and explaining precisely what's wrong with it can be a little tricky - the most convincing response I've read is that 'existence' is not truly a characteristic of an entity itself, but of the world. (E.g., unicorns aren't "a horse with one horn that doesn't exist," they're just "a horse with one horn," and the world we live in is one that doesn't have unicorns in it.) But even without an exact logical counter-argument, it does seem like the sort of thing that shouldn't pass the smell test for anyone.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Goku is the best fighter ever. Obviously he can't really the best if he doesn't exist, therefore he must exist and is also capable of beating up god.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think it's important to point out that the ontological proof for the existence of god was created by a man who later starved to death because his wife wasn't around to cook for him.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, that's the core of it. It's a fairly creative argument, I'll give it that, and explaining precisely what's wrong with it can be a little tricky - the most convincing response I've read is that 'existence' is not truly a characteristic of an entity itself, but of the world. (E.g., unicorns aren't "a horse with one horn that doesn't exist," they're just "a horse with one horn," and the world we live in is one that doesn't have unicorns in it.) But even without an exact logical counter-argument, it does seem like the sort of thing that shouldn't pass the smell test for anyone.

It's hard to explain what's wrong with the ontological argument because it's so stupid it's difficult to even engage with.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
By saying "God is perfect, or the most perfect thing possible" or "Goku is the best fighter ever", your opening statement doesn't define any actual entity at all. You're just giving another name to something that's at the top of its class, you're just giving a trophy to something. Yes, if whatever entity actually existed it would have those properties, but your argument doesn't prove that the entity actually exists - you're just giving the title of God or Goku or Perfect Omlette to something that actually does exist that matches the definition the most closely.

In a universe that where there are no eggs and only ham sandwiches, one of those ham sandwiches would be the Perfect Omelette simply because existence is much more perfect than nonexistance

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

Seems like whats wrong with it is it begins with "I define'" which is inherently an impossible to prove statement. Might as well just say "I define God as existing."

Also, besides that oil of oregano laffer, one of the stupidest things I hear was "I suffer from PTSD, from my fiancee dying." I'm not saying its impossible, but if thats all you give by way of explanation it sounds pretty weak sauce. Billions of people lose loved ones to tragic circumstances

This is the most self-perpetuating thread

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

rodbeard posted:

I think it's important to point out that the ontological proof for the existence of god was created by a man who later starved to death because his wife wasn't around to cook for him.

This isnt the "best things youve heard" thread you know.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Drunk Nerds posted:

Seems like whats wrong with it is it begins with "I define'" which is inherently an impossible to prove statement. Might as well just say "I define God as existing."

Also, besides that oil of oregano laffer, one of the stupidest things I hear was "I suffer from PTSD, from my fiancee dying." I'm not saying its impossible, but if thats all you give by way of explanation it sounds pretty weak sauce. Billions of people lose loved ones to tragic circumstances

Death of a loved one seems like a reasonable source of tramatic stress.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Nutsngum posted:

This isnt the "best things youve heard" thread you know.

Yeah, the current conversation seems perfect for the thread.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Drunk Nerds posted:

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/

“I started experiencing symptoms of PTSD after my boyfriend died."

please at least read the most basic stuff before trying to sound authoritative

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think getting PTSD from losing a very close SO/spouse is not something I would ever claim as stupid or unlikely. Who the gently caress would ever even question someone on that

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Lol if ur not an emotionless husk

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah I think getting PTSD from losing a very close SO/spouse is not something I would ever claim as stupid or unlikely. Who the gently caress would ever even question someone on that

No kidding. You can get it from any kind of traumatic event, and it's not like human brains all have a standard measure of what constitutes trauma. If a professional diagnosed a person, then no random rear end in a top hat has a right to belittle the diagnosis because they don't think they... What, deserve a mental illness? You must be *this* traumatized to ride?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
It seems like in order to make trigger warnings and random internet claims of PTSD as laughable as possible, people have started to think of it as this almost impossible to contract disorder that requires living in a war zone for a year and then being certified by a team of doctors. People attach emotion to things very differently and experience trauma in very personal ways, but a close death seems like an incredibly likely way for it to occur.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Practical Demon posted:

It seems like in order to make trigger warnings and random internet claims of PTSD as laughable as possible, people have started to think of it as this almost impossible to contract disorder that requires living in a war zone for a year and then being certified by a team of doctors. People attach emotion to things very differently and experience trauma in very personal ways, but a close death seems like an incredibly likely way for it to occur.

It's almost like there's a tradition of ignoring and disregarding people's mental health in society!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's almost like there's a tradition of ignoring and disregarding people's mental health in society!

"You have 'depression? What the hell are you depressed about?"

This is what everyone who has ever been diagnosed with Depression hears from family and friends.

So I think we need to give it a new name, something that truly sums it up. I vote for "soulbreaker". :black101:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

gently caress you.

You wake up to her with blood running and bubbling out her mouth making moaning sounds that will haunt you forever. You do chest compressions hearing bones crack and blood squirting out her loving nostrils until the EMTS show up pulling you off her. Oh, and you had to run and unlock the door so they could get in when they show up. And always wonder if those 30 seconds you spent doing that made a difference. You be unable to fall asleep except for exhaustion because every time you close your eyes you see the blood. THEN you can say PTSD from my fiancé dying in front of my eyes is not real.

I hope you die painfully slow and all alone. You gently caress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

No kidding. You can get it from any kind of traumatic event, and it's not like human brains all have a standard measure of what constitutes trauma. If a professional diagnosed a person, then no random rear end in a top hat has a right to belittle the diagnosis because they don't think they... What, deserve a mental illness? You must be *this* traumatized to ride?

A severe misunderstanding of mental illness and no effort to educate oneself on the characteristics of commonly talked about traumas leads to people getting stupid ideas about PTSD. And maybe for example, using popular media to fill the gaps in one's knowledge. 'PTSD because a loved one died? That doesn't sound that well-written. Seems a bit weak to me, I don't believe it.. :/"

If it was something like saying that their fish dying when they were a kid giving them PTSD I'd be a lot more skeptical than an actual human being you knew and were close to dying.

edit: But I'm an uninformed rear end in a top hat so y'know

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Feb 15, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

flosofl posted:

gently caress you.

You wake up to her with blood running and bubbling out her mouth making moaning sounds that will haunt you forever. You do chest compressions hearing bones crack and blood squirting out her loving nostrils until the EMTS show up pulling you off her. Oh, and you had to run and unlock the door so they could get in when they show up. And always wonder if those 30 seconds you spent doing that made a difference. You be unable to fall asleep except for exhaustion because every time you close your eyes you see the blood. THEN you can say PTSD from my fiancé dying in front of my eyes is not real.

Empty quoting and I don't even care.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
I think his point may have been related to this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2605888/Woman-claims-PTSD-Twitter-cyberstalking-says-bit-war-veterans.html

(Yeah, I know it's the Daily Mail.)

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sic Semper Goon posted:

(Yeah, I know it's the Daily Mail.)

Maybe you should trust in daily mail's poor reputation and not link their articles

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Samovar posted:

From an ex of mine.

Of course they don't. Neither does anyone else :smug:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The thing about Japanese people not having souls comes from the South Park episode where Kenny gets Terry Schiavo'd.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I for one, believe in post traumatic growth, it's slowly making things better.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Dr Christmas posted:

The thing about Japanese people not having souls comes from the South Park episode where Kenny gets Terry Schiavo'd.

My dad thought it was hilarious to tell people his theory that Japanese people were aliens, because "LOOK AT WHAT THEY EAT."

I'm starting to feel like I could start a thread just for stupid poo poo my family members have said.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

flosofl posted:

gently caress you.

I bet that's the only time you made her squirt

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CherryCola posted:

My dad thought it was hilarious to tell people his theory that Japanese people were aliens, because "LOOK AT WHAT THEY EAT."

I'm starting to feel like I could start a thread just for stupid poo poo my family members have said.

...what do they eat that other people around the world don't also eat? Natto???

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Schubalts posted:

...what do they eat that other people around the world don't also eat? Natto???

Raw fish! Can you believe that poo poo????

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

CherryCola posted:

Japanese food is loving amazing. Your dad really is an idiot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"If you put soft vegetables in ice water, they will harden up again."

My produce department manager.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nutsngum posted:

Japanese food is loving amazing. Your dad really is an idiot.

Natto is pretty gross. That poo poo is worse than Marmite or Vegemite. Japanese also eat raw chicken. No wonder Japanese people aren't Christian.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arcsquad12 posted:

"If you put soft vegetables in ice water, they will harden up again."

My produce department manager.

Walmart also has some powder you mix in and supposedly it makes them crisper. I dunno I always just threw the poo poo away.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Len posted:

Walmart also has some powder you mix in and supposedly it makes them crisper. I dunno I always just threw the poo poo away.

Well my manager has been on a kick recently about ways to try and preserve our products longer so we don't throw as much poo poo out. Another one that came down from head office is that all of our tropical fruit is to be stored outside the cooler because it was grown in a warm environment, so naturally if it stays warm it will last longer.

It's like the people running this place don't know how bacteria grows.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

God drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lunchmeat Larry posted: