Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

And then T-Ray comes along, steals the girl, destroys DP's life, and leaves him emotionally (and literally) in a gutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

khy posted:

Deadpool gets plenty of happy endings. They're there to build him up higher and higher so the inevitable fall is just that much more painful and soul-destroying.

I really hope that Fox takes note of this and fires the executives who've been making absolutely lovely decisions about what movies to make and what budgets to give them. I mean, it's so strange to see the studio that gave us the Fantastic Four reboot last year finally actually giving us a good movie like this.

FYI:
FF 2015 - $120m budget, $168m sales.
DP 2016 - $58m budget, $260m opening weekend.

It's more the guys that did Deadpool clearly love the character and busted a gut to do it right. Hand off FF to someone that gets Dr Doom would be a good start.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

poptart_fairy posted:

Hugh Jackman's a lovely man. I think it's physically impossible to dislike him on a personal level. :3:

I know of at least one person;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlMWVwAHll0

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Literally all it takes to make a Fantastic Four movie that people will enjoy is to make a Fantastic Four movie.

Fox executives, here's my pitch: His name is Victor Von Doom, he's a Doctor, he rules Latveria, he wears a magic metal suit with a green elvish cape. He fights the Fantastic four.

Please DM me for address where you can send me a check for $5 million.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

A great movie followed by a plate of chimichangas. :D

Colossus is a Russian Baba and honestly, he was only taken down by a cheap shot from another brick.

NTW is the break out character and yeah, pete was born to be the big brother of the younger generation.

and Deadpool keeps stealing the show.

and kudos for other space guy for not one, but 2 cameos.

so want them to use the video game as the basis for the next movie (because,sentinel boot = win) :D.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The ghost of Ben Franklin is a marvel character?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

khy posted:

And then T-Ray comes along, steals the girl, destroys DP's life, and leaves him emotionally (and literally) in a gutter.

I thought the posted panels where fairly recent? And didn't the T-Ray thing get retcon'd away as false memories or something? Comic books :argh:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

therealjon_ posted:

The ghost of Ben Franklin is a marvel character?

Yes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's more the guys that did Deadpool clearly love the character and busted a gut to do it right. Hand off FF to someone that gets Dr Doom would be a good start.

Yeah, this movie is a passion project made by people who both love and understand the source material. I guarantee you that there exists someone who feels the same way about Fantastic Four and could make a great movie about them, and that Fox will NEVER hire them.

I really hope that the next movie has the same tone that this movie did: It was brutal, violent, and crude, but never mean spirited. Deadpool isn't just an rear end in a top hat and the more straight edged heroes aren't idiots just there for him to mock. All the characters were both funny and likable (except that douche Francis) and that kind of thing is something of a rarity. Honestly, in a hosed up sort of way, I think this is the sweetest super hero movie I've ever seen.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Some clowns brought single-digit aged children to our showing. Between this and Watchmen, what is it with irresponsible parents exposing their kids to superhero cock?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I did appreciate the cock physics. We've come so far since Watchmen and Hollow Man.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LinkesAuge posted:

Like comic books? ;)
Don't get me wrong, I also never bought into the Firefly hype but that doesn't mean it couldn't have become something successful. Game of Thrones was also just a fantasy nerd thing until the TV show and now it's part of the pop culture. That's why using the "it's just a nerd thing" argument doesn't really mean anything. Imo a nerd following just shows there is potential for more. If you do it right you'll also get the "average guy" as your audience.

Game of Thrones has wide appeal.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Snowman_McK posted:

I did appreciate the cock physics. We've come so far since Watchmen and Hollow Man.

Really disappointed I couldn't see Ryan Reynold's cancerous raisen rear end in a top hat and other assorted bits when he feel on his back. He was clearly all nuded up for that scene but apparently the R rating only goes so far

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, but there's still some dark-rear end poo poo dogging him in this run.

Like the fact he straight up arsoned his parents to death to test how effective the Tabula Rasa drug was in messing with his memories from the Weapon X days

MH Knights posted:

I thought the posted panels where fairly recent? And didn't the T-Ray thing get retcon'd away as false memories or something? Comic books :argh:

Nah, he's back now. Got sent to hell, then Dr. Strange made DP go and get him. And the whole "which one is really Wade Wilson" is still some-what up in the air. DP is absolutely convinced he's the real WW, but then so does T-Ray. That was toward the latter half of the Cable and Deadpool series. I don't think he's been in the latest ones.

Retcons mean absolutely nothing in Deadpool. Even Deadpool makes a comment on whether he's Wade Wilson or not depends on what the current writer of the comic thinks.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 15, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hand off FF to someone that gets Dr Doom would be a good start.

I have no idea why they seem to find it so hard to get Doctor Doom right, he's such a straightforward character and they somehow always gently caress it up spectacularly.

But then again you'd think the Fantastic Four themselves would be incredibly easy to get right, and yet all those movies later they still haven't managed to do it. I couldn't believe the ending to the most recent one where they effectively come across as bully terrorists intimidating the Government into giving them whatever they wanted. It felt more like the origin film for something like Planetary's version of the Fantastic Four. Though I actually got the same vibe from the ending of Man of Steel when Superman crashes a satellite in front of a General's car and tells him,"Back off because I can gently caress you up anytime I want and there's literally nothing you can do about it :smug:"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Jerusalem posted:

I have no idea why they seem to find it so hard to get Doctor Doom right, he's such a straightforward character and they somehow always gently caress it up spectacularly.

But then again you'd think the Fantastic Four themselves would be incredibly easy to get right, and yet all those movies later they still haven't managed to do it. I couldn't believe the ending to the most recent one where they effectively come across as bully terrorists intimidating the Government into giving them whatever they wanted. It felt more like the origin film for something like Planetary's version of the Fantastic Four. Though I actually got the same vibe from the ending of Man of Steel when Superman crashes a satellite in front of a General's car and tells him,"Back off because I can gently caress you up anytime I want and there's literally nothing you can do about it :smug:"

*Drone.

Stuff like that I can appreciate a bit, because it at least acknowledges that "oh yeah, the government is going to dedicate entire satellite constellations and everything else to track the demigod on the planet"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

That isn't what Superman says. Or implies. He says they should trust him because he wouldn't gently caress them up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Literally all it takes to make a Fantastic Four movie that people will enjoy is to make a Fantastic Four movie.

Fox executives, here's my pitch: His name is Victor Von Doom, he's a Doctor, he rules Latveria, he wears a magic metal suit with a green elvish cape. He fights the Fantastic four.

Please DM me for address where you can send me a check for $5 million.

Fox learns the wrong lesson. The next Fantastic Four reboot involves Johnny Storm making jokes about Thing's rock scrotum while Reed Richards fucks Sue from across the Baxter Building.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gavok posted:

Fox learns the wrong lesson. The next Fantastic Four reboot involves Johnny Storm making jokes about Thing's rock scrotum while Reed Richards fucks Sue from across the Baxter Building.

FInally Kev Smith gets to make a superhero movie!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gavok posted:

The Fantastic Four's powers would lend themselves pretty well to sophomoric hijinks

I mean that movie would be a betrayal of the characters and probably awful, but how much worse could that concept really be than the last FF movie?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LGD posted:

The Fantastic Four's powers would lend themselves pretty well to sophomoric hijinks

I mean that movie would be a betrayal of the characters and probably awful, but how much worse could that concept really be than the last FF movie?

You can have sophomoric hijinks in a FF movie without betraying the characters though. It's basically what the Thing and Human Torch's entire relationship is founded on.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

Because apparently Dr. Doom is too cartoony and not grounded enough for a superhero movie in Fox's mind

khy
Aug 15, 2005

MH Knights posted:

I have no idea. I haven't read recent Deadpool stuff, though I keep meaning to - I just remember reading DP and how after a while things would start going well for him only for everything to crumble into dust in his hands. They'd build him up, and up, and up, then sweep the rug out from under him. But he would just get back up, cover up the pathos with humor, and start all over.

EDIT : Oh hey, looks like they're keeping the same writers for Deadpool 2. I hope Fox just goes as hands-off with the sequel as they did with the first movie. Just put it in the hands of the same people with a bigger budget and I'm entirely happy.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 15, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

achillesforever6 posted:

Because apparently Dr. Doom is too cartoony and not grounded enough for a superhero movie in Fox's mind

And yet Marvel had a movie where a walking tree and a potty-mouthed murderous raccoon go on adventures and it was the most beloved movie of 2014, and whatever the gently caress was going on in the Thor movies.

But yeah, who wants to see THE MOST recognizable Marvel comic book villain, who's also one of the most important and popular villains in the entire Marvel universe. Like maybe Magneto or Doctor Octopus rival him in popularity in the comics.

Also, Galactus. Not one person liked Galactus being a cloud.

Seriously, Fox just needs to cut checks and not allow their producers anywhere near the franchises they own. For gently caress's sake, have you seen X-Men 3, the movie made by Fox committee? Christ alive.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I loved Sinestro as a giant galactic cloud because how could it get any worse.

Rob L. On the coffee cup and the Green Lantern trading card slayed me.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Something else I just realised as to why I really liked this movie.

The pacing was fantastic: It starts with him as Deadpool, a strong action scene, has some flashback scenes to explain some of his backstory, goes back to present day with some more action, then a bit more flashback explaining more backstory, then back to present day, etc.

They avoided the one thing I absolutely hate about superhero movies, specifically the first movies in their series: They explained his origin story and relationships prior to him becoming Deadpool without having a 45 minute (or more) period of pretty much nothing exciting happening leading up to him getting his powers. Not only that, but it did this in an extremely logical fashion that didn't confuse the plot in a chronological sense. It's not the most complex plot, sure, but still, it's easy to do wrong and make forgettable.

It also helped that they didn't have some bullshit about him exploring his newfound abilities (hello Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man). Guy was ex-special forces with 41 confirmed kills, and had a loose sense of morals as a kind of do-gooder mercenary, so he had skills already - and this was pretty much explained either during existing scenes, or with relatively short scenes that didn't detract from the movie. I actually looked at my watch at one point, since I was concerned that they'd covered such a huge amount of content already that the movie must have already been past halfway - and only 30 minutes or so had passed.

Spoilers because, uh, well, it's not that spoilerific, but I'm keen to not give anything away.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MH Knights posted:

And didn't the T-Ray thing get retcon'd away as false memories or something? Comic books :argh:

It's up in the air.

Basically, over the years, various Deadpool writers couldn't agree on certain parts of his backstory. Was he Canadian or American? What were his parents like? Most important was this big reveal at the end of the Joe Kelly run (which, again, is the most important run on the character and much of the movie is based on it) where the villain T-Ray revealed that Deadpool's real name is Jack and that he killed the real Wade Wilson years ago in order to steal his identity and life. Stuff happened that made him repress the truth and he really believed he was Wade Wilson. T-Ray is in fact the real Wade Wilson, who basically sold his soul to return and get revenge. Trust me, it's better than it sounds.

Some writers couldn't handle the idea that Deadpool isn't the real Wade, even though that very story explained that it's a totally moot point. They tried to negate that twist even if their explanations and logic made zero sense.

As part of the current run, they made sense of it all by introducing this guy named Butler. He was part of Weapon X and afterwards sought out Deadpool and said, "Hey, can I harvest your organs? You'd heal from it and I could use it to cure disease and stuff." Deadpool went with it, but Butler started using him for nefarious means. Mainly through mind-fuckery. Deadpool was able to figure out Butler was bad news and left him. For the years that followed, Butler would have Deadpool kidnapped, steal more organs, mess with his memories and let him go. While he was under, he would have his men broadcast fake adventures in his mind to keep him from waking up.

When told this, Deadpool asked, "So, T-Ray lied about me?"

Rather than give a straight answer, they had Butler say, "I don't know who that is. The other scientists would try to tell me what you were up to on the outside, or the kinds of simulations they designed for your captive periods. I just never cared. I found them confusing, so I can only imagine how you managed to process them."

They did establish that Deadpool is definitely Canadian and we know enough about his parents, which is now a major plot point. The writer Gerry Duggan says he has no intention to bring T-Ray into the series, so the "real Wade Wilson" argument is open-ended.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
It just occurred to me that all those low level mooks he carved his way through probably only knew the badguy as Ajax. WHERE'S FRANCIS

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I really hope that the next movie has the same tone that this movie did: It was brutal, violent, and crude, but never mean spirited. Deadpool isn't just an rear end in a top hat and the more straight edged heroes aren't idiots just there for him to mock. All the characters were both funny and likable (except that douche Francis) and that kind of thing is something of a rarity. Honestly, in a hosed up sort of way, I think this is the sweetest super hero movie I've ever seen.

A different set of comedy writers could have easily hosed up the characters of Dopinder or Blind Al or even Vanessa, let alone Colossus and TNW. You can just imagine how a different writing team would have used Dopinder as just the butt of their zany jokes instead of having Deadpool actually befriending him and genuinely becoming interested in his life.

Jerusalem posted:

The unreleased 1994 Roger Corman FF film had the best, most accurate portrayal of Doom out of all the movies.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 15, 2016

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Gyges posted:

I think what I loved most about Colossus was his throwing up after Deadpool shot Ajax. I love that apparently as an X-Man he still hasn't seen stuff like that. Also that he's Organic Steel 24/7. Steel Colossus eating cereal is a fantastic introduction.

The Jacksonville shout outs got good laughs down here in Jacksonville.

I too watched the movie in Jacksonville and everyone lost their poo poo.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beach posted:

It just occurred to me that all those low level mooks he carved his way through probably only knew the badguy as Ajax. WHERE'S FRANCIS
:aaaaa:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think my one hope for Dead2ool is that they find a way to include Nolan North.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The unreleased 1994 Roger Corman FF film had the best, most accurate portrayal of Doom out of all the movies.

Aside from being done on the very cheap, the Corman movie is actually really good, especially when you remember consider the time periode it was made or compare it to every other FF incarnation.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Beach posted:

48 henchmen died very confused.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Beach posted:

Part of the fun (uhm) was that he killed them before they had a chance at saying anything.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Can someone list for me the things that got this an R? My kid is almost 13 and really wants to see it. Language isn't an issue - he's heard most everything. Violence-wise he's seen Aliens, Army of Darkness, and Fury Road, and plays Halo. As for vulgar humor, he's watched a lot of Family Guy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Can someone list for me the things that got this an R? My kid is almost 13 and really wants to see it. Language isn't an issue - he's heard most everything. Violence-wise he's seen Aliens, Army of Darkness, and Fury Road, and plays Halo. As for vulgar humor, he's watched a lot of Family Guy.

How cool are you with your kid seeing both male and female full frontal nudity?

How about Watchmen, would you let your son see Watchmen? Because I think the level of R ratedness is pretty comparable.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Phylodox posted:

How cool are you with your kid seeing both male and female full frontal nudity?

I don't recall any full frontal from either sex??!?! I guess it's possible it was edited out for the UK version of the film.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Phylodox posted:

How about Watchmen, would you let your son see Watchmen? Because I think the level of R ratedness is pretty comparable.

I'd agree with this statement except there's a lot more dick jokes and boobies in Deadpool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gaz2k21 posted:

I don't recall any full frontal from either sex??!?! I guess it's possible it was edited out for the UK version of the film.

It's possible, although I'm not sure how. The nudity in the strip club scene was pretty ubiquitous, and Wade's ween is pretty visible throughout his fight with Francis in the not-Weapon X facility.

• Locked thread