Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's ultra lowbar ARG speak. "icarus", probably combined with two other words, gets converted into numbers and added somehow, probably to give a release/more info date.

I forgot to keep up with this thread for a couple days, but Icarus is the name a Madeon song. The Son of Daedalus stuff is probably just further hints at some kind of Madeon collaboration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dresh posted:

I forgot to keep up with this thread for a couple days, but Icarus is the name a Madeon song. The Son of Daedalus stuff is probably just further hints at some kind of Madeon collaboration.

ugh. Madeon announced as musician for new Mean Bean Machine remake.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Robotnik will be played by Tom Hardy

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bingo- and the fanbase is ahead of both of us:

Courtesy of jigenxlupin on Deviantart. (surprise! the artist has some sort of robotnik fetish)

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

(surprise! the artist has some sort of robotnik fetish)

Whats wrong with that

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

As far as sonic fetishes go

That's the best one to have

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kelp Plankton posted:

As far as sonic fetishes go

That's the best one to have

Thinking about it, I guess that's objectively true- Eggman's the only character that's not an animal, a minor, a robot, or some combination of the three.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Do we actually know how old he is? I know the Heroes manual had ages for everyone playable but I dunno about the villains.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
given that the series is japanese, i'm going to guess that he's the mighty old age of 24

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dabir posted:

Do we actually know how old he is? I know the Heroes manual had ages for everyone playable but I dunno about the villains.

The Sonic Heroes manual unfortunately lists himas "Age unknown".

It does however say that he's a "romanticist, feminist and a self-professed gentleman".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

given that the series is japanese, i'm going to guess that he's the mighty old age of 24

Wikis say it's canonically unknown, but the comic version was 48 "Pre-SGW", which I guess erased everyone's knowledge of how old he is or something.

Veotax posted:

It does however say that he's a "romanticist, feminist and a self-professed gentleman".

I can't decide which I enjoy more: MRA eggman, or the idea that Robotnik is a genuine feminist that would construct a social democratic (dictatorship) paradise if he ever actually conquered the world.

"Sure, he puts his face on everything, but the wage gap is gone and we have free universal healthcare!"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Wikis say it's canonically unknown, but the comic version was 48 "Pre-SGW", which I guess erased everyone's knowledge of how old he is or something.

I can't decide which I enjoy more: MRA eggman, or the idea that Robotnik is a genuine feminist that would construct a social democratic (dictatorship) paradise if he ever actually conquered the world.

"Sure, he puts his face on everything, but the wage gap is gone and we have free universal healthcare!"

He'd turn everything into robots and gender doesn't even matter if you're a robot.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Robotnik 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I went looking for a campaign site and OH MY GOD

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

He'd turn everything into robots and gender doesn't even matter if you're a robot.

Sounds good to me.

This also reminds me of what I read about the Fleetway comics. Apparently the writers actually realized "girl who has a crush on Sonic" is incredibly boring, and turned her into some sort of badass feminist, and changed her outfit into a t-shirt and fatigues.

Never read the comics myself, but that's certainly a step up, especially for a comic written in the 90s.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

She also stood up to Sonic and put him in his place a couple of times in the Fleetway comic, because Sonic is a giant rear end in a top hat in them. It's been a long time since I read them as a kid but I don't remember her fawning over Sonic all that much either.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Thinking about it, I guess that's objectively true- Eggman's the only character that's not an animal, a minor, a robot, or some combination of the three.

He's a giant, talking egg, you sicko. :colbert:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

For reference, here's Amy from Sonic the Comic (later in its life):

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Why did Amy get a redesign to make her look like knuckles

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've been playing Sonic Lost World on PC and it's great aside from the deadly six talking about kicking sonic's spiny butt every other zone. I'm going for S ranks after beating the game and these are some of the most strict ranking times I've seen in a sonic game.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Looper posted:

Why did Amy get a redesign to make her look like knuckles

I was curious about this, too. Because there was some McGuffin in the comics that could grant wishes, and because she was the "young" one in the group, she wished to be a teenager. This resulted in her Sonic Adventure character design. If I remember right, Sonic's logic jump for his different appearance was just as dumb.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I enjoy how we all pretend to have not memorized the Archie comics wiki in this thread.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Amppelix posted:

For reference, here's Amy from Sonic the Comic (later in its life):

I love how literally every piece of European pre-Adventure artwork draws her with those upturned spines because I guess the artists only had this image for reference

And Sega never bothered sending out her actual reference sheet.

Archie, on the other hand, got it right but they changed her dress a bit, and her character was a lot less important until the Adventure adaptation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My entire Sonic comic experience: I spotted one at the counter of a gas station, flipped it open, took one look at Evil Leather Jacket Sonic and Evil Beret Knuckles and tossed it back on the rack. Even lil Sonic-fanatic me knew that poo poo was garbage. Carpetbomb Archie.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

My entire Sonic comic experience: I spotted one at the counter of a gas station, flipped it open, took one look at Evil Leather Jacket Sonic and Evil Beret Knuckles and tossed it back on the rack. Even lil Sonic-fanatic me knew that poo poo was garbage. Carpetbomb Archie.

Evil Beret Knuckles should be the name of my garage band

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Evil Eagle posted:

I've been playing Sonic Lost World on PC and it's great

what

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have also been playing Lost World on PC; the script is garbage, the controls terrible, the parkour mystifying and unknowable even until the end and every time the level skip thing pops up I can't hit it fast enough. That they took the Mario Galaxy engine and made something that bad is criminal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Evil Beret Knuckles should be the name of my garage band

Wait are they meant to be evil because I'm just seeing EuroSonic&Knuckles.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Wait are they meant to be evil because I'm just seeing EuroSonic&Knuckles.

If I remember correctly it was an alternate universe set on the Sunken Island. Sonic and crew were punks blowing up Robotnik's good robots.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wow a Sonic movie.

Imagine this but for like two hours.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

It's a good game

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

the controls terrible, the parkour mystifying and unknowable even until the end

Probably the saddest part about the Wii version is that they came up with a completely different gameplay/control system from the rest of the franchise and didn't put in any tutorials or setup any level design to help people adjust to the new systems. And then out of nowhere expects you to regularly utilize all this stuff that you almost never have to use that is never explained. The 3DS version of the game sucks but at least it had a tutorial level that thoroughly explains the mechanics and early level design that eases you into the games systems so you can get used to it appropriately.

The Wii U game still has problems (bad story, unnecessary and stupid gimmick levels, why kicking is even a thing, wtf Frozen factory level design), but the controls honestly are fine once they get explained cause they are pretty specific. The one legitimately bad thing about the controls is that there is no easy "dismount" option off of walls or way to choose if Sonic is gonna wall run or not. You'll end up in a lot of unprecise scenarios where Sonic just has to wall run like an idiot for a couple of seconds and there's nothing you can do about it cause pressing any buttons out of panic is just gonna make it worse.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ventana posted:

The one legitimately bad thing about the controls is that there is no easy "dismount" option off of walls or way to choose if Sonic is gonna wall run or not. You'll end up in a lot of unprecise scenarios where Sonic just has to wall run like an idiot for a couple of seconds and there's nothing you can do about it cause pressing any buttons out of panic is just gonna make it worse.

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I was talking about. It is absolutely infuriating.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
I mean there are plenty of other really bad things about the controls, like the identical jump buttons on the ground differing in the air only if there's a target nearby, and the weird tap, release, hold for infinite spindash that could have been easily solved, but I suppose that's more a problem of the game struggling to explain the controls in the first place.

That said, it's not nearly as bad as people say it is.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Not half as bad as wall running in the Adventure-through-2006 Sonics. They were really struggling with that until in Unleashed they just went "gently caress it, script it, limited control, print."

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b59Ai5xmvio

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Same.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Robotnik and Bowser: the two hottest men in gaming

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/697506711498727425
:allears:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Macaluso posted:

Robotnik and Bowser: the two hottest men in gaming

Bowser's a MRA creep who believes in friendzoning, everyone knows Dr. Wily is a thousand times hotter and should rule the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Bowser's a MRA creep who believes in friendzoning, everyone knows Dr. Wily is a thousand times hotter and should rule the world.

it took 9 games for wily to make a female robot master.... pretty sure he's not down with the sisterhood, friendo

• Locked thread