Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Takoluka posted:

The characters in Neptunia are made way more interesting by their localization
As Endorph says, that is a subjective opinion. They made Neptunia into what, if i identify it correctly, is a Valley Girl. ("like", "Whatever", "eeeew") I can see where they're coming from with J-Npetunia being a bubbly teenager girl and them wanting to get as close to that in english as they could think of. However you can't claim that that kind of speaking is universal in its appeal. As for the japanese dub, personally i actually like a lot of the VAs they have (and they get high quality VAs) and play with japanese voices mainly to hear them, not because i'm opposed to the english dub.

All that said, i don't mind any of their dub decisions personally and especially not the jokes thing. I'm just saying some of the criticisms can at least be understood, and personally wish there was a little less mental dissonance when playing with japanese voices on.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I play neptunia with the voices off

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i don't play neptunia because I haven't turned my vita on in months

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Hivac posted:

I play neptunia with the voices off
I hope the game recognizes you have the voices off and just puts bandaids on everyone's mouth along with an angry scowl, for the entire game.

Schrodingers cat posted:

Hitman GO launches on February 23rd.
Is there more about its gameplay known? It looks like it may actually be good.

Schrodingers cat posted:

Attack on Titans gets a new video showcasing new titans that get attacked or do the attacking I'm not sure anymore.
The main character can transform into an intelligent titan when he gets hurt, so they're showing that off.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i really doubt this

It's been 10 years since the last console game so most of the young men with interest in the game (that only become aware of it when the shitfit started) don't know anything about it.

voltcatfish posted:

i don't play neptunia because I haven't turned my vita on in months

The PC is now the Nep-Nep machine. Senran Kagura is jumping ship too.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 15, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

They made Neptunia into what, if i identify it correctly, is a Valley Girl. ("like", "Whatever", "eeeew")

If anything, that's Noire, who really plays that aspect up hard in the voicework nowadays. Neptune is probably the most serious character in the series when she wants to be, she just... generally doesn't.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Mithaldu posted:

I hope the game recognizes you have the voices off and just puts bandaids on everyone's mouth along with an angry scowl, for the entire game.

That would be pretty hilarious. Nep V3 Plus Vita edition isn`t bad by Neptunia standards, the only other one I tried being Neptunia 1 on PS3 :barf:

Mithaldu posted:

Is there more about its gameplay known? It looks like it may actually be good.

If you haven`t seen this trailer it's a good watch otherwise it seems like a

The mobile version is basically a puzzle/strategy version of the Hitman franchise. Kind of reminds me as that MGS game on PSP with the cards and skills.
Hidden passages, variable enemy behaviour and equipment, etc... apparently makes replaying missions worthwhile too.

I'm tempted to get the android version just to see if it's good because it's only 5$.

Mithaldu posted:

The main character can transform into an intelligent titan when he gets hurt, so they're showing that off.

That's a neat feature. I really like the art style of the game, only watched 1 episode of the animu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

It's been 10 years since the last console game so most of the young men with interest in the game (that only become aware of it when the shitfit started) don't know anything about it.
the young men with interest in the game would definitely be put off and horrified by giant anime titties

Mithaldu posted:

As Endorph says, that is a subjective opinion. They made Neptunia into what, if i identify it correctly, is a Valley Girl. ("like", "Whatever", "eeeew") I
that's kind of just how normal human beings talk

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
EDIT: Yeah I think the americanized accents work really. The dub's great for what it is.

I find it interesting when he mentioned the original developers called him back on for the rereleases and even made changes in the characters cause of localized script.
I wonder if that sorta back and forth trade happens with other localization companies? Stuff like the exaggerated PROTEIN/MEAT stuff in Persona for example(that's probably more in the original I guess).

EDIT2: There's a huge interview with Falcom about Trails and Ys here.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 15, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mithaldu posted:

As Endorph says, that is a subjective opinion. They made Neptunia into what, if i identify it correctly, is a Valley Girl. ("like", "Whatever", "eeeew") I can see where they're coming from with J-Npetunia being a bubbly teenager girl and them wanting to get as close to that in english as they could think of. However you can't claim that that kind of speaking is universal in its appeal. As for the japanese dub, personally i actually like a lot of the VAs they have (and they get high quality VAs) and play with japanese voices mainly to hear them, not because i'm opposed to the english dub.

Neptune's way of speaking in English is probably the closest you'll get to "genki". As stated before, Noire is pretty valley girl in the dub, and I feel like it plays well with her "I'm so much better than you" attitude.

The JP VAs are very good, as I'd expect from them, and if you prefer them, that's great. Just know that 1) it's not going to match the text properly (which is what people hate, because they're dumb), and 2) the first time I switched to JP voices, I discovered everyone sounds like they do *by design* and Neptune's voice is actually more obnoxious and loud in Japanese. Which is fine.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hitman Go is a pretty decent puzzle game thats goty material on mobile for some reason

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

I find it interesting when he mentioned the original developers called him back on for the rereleases and even made changes in the characters cause of localized script.
I wonder if that sorta back and forth trade happens with other localization companies? Stuff like the exaggerated PROTEIN/MEAT stuff in Persona for example.
it's not quite the same thing, but in Kingdom Hearts' case a lot of Japanese fans see the English dub as the 'real' VAs, partly because all the Disney characters are American in origin and partly because the Final Mix versions of the games (which is what most JP players are familiar with) have the English dub on by default.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

HGH posted:

I guarantee there are people who think this is a bold-faced lie.

There are people who think there's a conspiracy involving Fire Emblem Fates where NoA is going behind the backs on the original devs to make changes by using contracts to leave them in the dark while they SJW it up.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I thought NoJ was really hesitant to let intsys put that stuff in the original game to begin with

Either that or I'm an idiot that imagines hearing about these things.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hivac posted:

I thought NoJ was really hesitant to let intsys put that stuff in the original game to begin with

IntSys itself was split on the issue.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's a conspiracy to not release fire emblem in europe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hivac posted:

IntSys's original design was full body petting. NoJ made them tone it down to face petting. There was tons of criticism about it anyway in Japan, not really in the 'omg how shameless and perverted' direction that the west was criticizing it from, but just thinking it was goofy and kind of ruined the tone of the game.

It's entirely possible, maybe even likely, that NoJ were the ones who told the translators to remove facepetting because they knew the west would react even worse, and they'd already gotten a bit of bad press/reviews from it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

full body petting
Speaking of, there's a big post on Miku X up with tons of screenshots, more details of the gameplay, and mention of character poking with different reactions based on what kind of outfit they're wearing: https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/2398/20160215-mikux.html

Endorph posted:

that's kind of just how normal human beings talk
When i learned english, that use of 'like' as a ... pause(?) that only some people did threw me for a hell of a loop. Like, seriously. Also, i'm talking about the exaggerated way she says "whatever" and "ew", which is also specific to a certain type of talking.

Schrodingers cat posted:

If you haven`t seen this trailer it's a good watch
It sure looks pretty, but doesn't really tell much about the gameplay, and hides the UI (usually a bad sign).

Schrodingers cat posted:

That's a neat feature. I really like the art style of the game, only watched 1 episode of the animu.
Honestly, i recommend reading the manga. It's a rollercoaster of "how badly will we be doomed/hosed over *next*?!"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gently caress me it's going to have mostly the same god drat diva room poo poo, isn't it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

When i learned english, that use of 'like' as a ... pause(?) that only some people did threw me for a hell of a loop. Like, seriously.
where im from pretty much every girl between ages 12-25 does that. come on down. have a ball.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

gently caress me it's going to have mostly the same god drat diva room poo poo, isn't it
Not entirely sure about this, but if i read that right, miku will decorate her room on her own, using gifts you have her. Also you'll get some hints in advance as to what gifts they'd like now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Speaking of, there's a big post on Miku X up with tons of screenshots, more details of the gameplay, and mention of character poking with different reactions based on what kind of outfit they're wearing: https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/2398/20160215-mikux.html

Is it just me or is that her left hand on her right wrist there?

Mithaldu posted:

Not entirely sure about this, but if i read that right, miku will decorate her room on her own, using gifts you have her. Also you'll get some hints in advance as to what gifts they'd like now.

Also quit posting pics of my house, tia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Midjack posted:

Is it just me or is that her left hand on her right wrist there?
the pinky and thumb on her model look pretty similar in length is the issue

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endorph posted:

where im from pretty much every girl between ages 12-25 does that. come on down. have a ball.

I too am from Earth. It sucks here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the pinky and thumb on her model look pretty similar in length is the issue

That looks like she has her palm facing the camera. If not then she's raising her ring finger and her pinky is seriously jacked up.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Mithaldu posted:

It sure looks pretty, but doesn't really tell much about the gameplay, and hides the UI (usually a bad sign).
Honestly, i recommend reading the manga. It's a rollercoaster of "how badly will we be doomed/hosed over *next*?!"

Yeah that's why I'm considering the "mobile try before you buy @ vita price" approach. Actually, just found this review which shows the actual game on Android/iOS.

Haha it does look very dystopian at best. I'll give it a read, thanks!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Schrodingers cat posted:

Yeah that's why I'm considering the "mobile try before you buy @ vita price" approach. Actually, just found this review which shows the actual game on Android/iOS.
Hmm, thanks for that link. I can see how some people like it, but that won't be for me. I like Hitman for the freedom in gameplay, and this one is just a linear and constrained puzzle game with a thin paintjob of murder on it. They could've made an identical game for a tenth of the budget by using very simple 2d graphics, and the price tag only comes from the render job.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

it's not quite the same thing, but in Kingdom Hearts' case a lot of Japanese fans see the English dub as the 'real' VAs, partly because all the Disney characters are American in origin and partly because the Final Mix versions of the games (which is what most JP players are familiar with) have the English dub on by default.
Oh yeah, I guess Final Mix would be KH:US or International over there. I always thought this was neat. Reminds me of how FromSoft only put in Japanese dubbing in the latest rerelease of Bloodborne and just coordinated everything with a UK studio prior to that.
Hearing Donald and Goofy and Japanese just... kinda makes me shudder. Although I did grow up hearing them in French and find those great so it sorta depends on your background.

I wonder what a KH on Vita would have been like. SE touched almost every gaming console under the sun.

EDIT: Oh no more Chinese mobile ripoffs

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 15, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

When i learned english, that use of 'like' as a ... pause(?) that only some people did threw me for a hell of a loop. Like, seriously. Also, i'm talking about the exaggerated way she says "whatever" and "ew", which is also specific to a certain type of talking.

more people then just valley girls do the like thing, for instance, me

...altho i say whatever all the time too, maybe i'm a valley girl after all...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Translating characters with specific speech patterns is frigging hard because you have to convey a tone as well as the idea and what exactly conveys that tone depends on how you interpret the character and the tone you're using to translate it. "Valley Girl" means different things to different people and you kind of have to make a call of what will convey that to someone the most. It also runs into disagreements over what the character is supposed to feel like. ("This character is supposed to be adorable" vs "this character is supposed to be annoying and it's funny" or whatever.)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

... turns out Lain was a valley girl all along.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ImpAtom posted:

or whatever

sup Neptune

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Endorph posted:

only girls and only between those ages? because im pretty sure nearly everyone i know younger than like 50 at this point uses like in that way. its extremely common and a really weird thing for anyone to get worked up about in the year 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

...altho i say whatever all the time too, maybe i'm a valley girl after all...
To be serious, it wasn't about how often it's said, but how it's pronounced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27BcgwYXY6s&t=713s

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFg5DCHzmiM&t=214s

ImpAtom posted:

Translating characters with specific speech patterns is frigging hard because you have to convey a tone as well as the idea and what exactly conveys that tone depends on how you interpret the character and the tone you're using to translate it. "Valley Girl" means different things to different people and you kind of have to make a call of what will convey that to someone the most. It also runs into disagreements over what the character is supposed to feel like. ("This character is supposed to be adorable" vs "this character is supposed to be annoying and it's funny" or whatever.)
Yeah, i'm not entirely sure how to describe it, that's why i included (?) when i initially mentioned it. I guess it'd be better to say that she feels americanized over the top, to me as a german.

Stux posted:

a really weird thing for anyone to get worked up about in the year 2016
Nobody's getting worked up over it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

it's fun seeing how many different ways people have localized osakan accents

Stux posted:

only girls and only between those ages? because im pretty sure nearly everyone i know younger than like 50 at this point uses like in that way. its extremely common and a really weird thing for anyone to get worked up about in the year 2016
using it in nearly every sentence

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

I even use it when typing, I've noticed recently, which is kind of bizarre if you think about it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also she probably just feels americanized to you because she was translated and voiced by americans, and they were trying to give her a very modern speech pattern.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

HGH posted:

EDIT: Oh no more Chinese mobile ripoffs
Finally we can get our "make Nep jump 1000 times" fix on the go

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Mithaldu posted:

Nobody's getting worked up over it.

complain about, whatever, my point is is that none of what youve described is really out of the ordinary for a native english speaker, and listening to that link she doesnt sound anymore americanised or over the top than any other character with an american voice. she sounds like a teenager, but not in any overly stereotyped or forced way. like even over here in the uk we use poo poo like that constantly. its not out of place at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i use like a lot when i type because i learned english from tv

also i always got a valley girl impression from the way nonon talked