Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I would absolutely love to see statistics about how many pictures of a dead kid there are across all of the firewatch.camera uploads; it has to be at least 50%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Phone posted:

I would absolutely love to see statistics about how many pictures of a dead kid there are across all of the firewatch.camera uploads; it has to be at least 50%.

I ran out loooong before that

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Blind Rasputin posted:

Id be down with spending a summer in one of those towers talking to a presumably dreamy lady over walkie talkie while picking up beer cans and finding turtles. Sign me the gently caress up.

I did in fact make my mission in Firewatch to retrieve every single piece of garbage and rescue every single animal, so I'm with you on this one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ja2ke posted:

It's flat rate $15 including shipping no matter whats on your roll, so you can always chuck a print if you dont want it after it arrives.

There are gonna be so many drat prints of Brian's dead body and Ned's secret hideaway :allears:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

CJacobs posted:

There are gonna be so many drat prints of Brian's dead body and Ned's secret hideaway :allears:

Yeah it's not so much chucking the prints you don't want, as it is wanting to print photos of your nice summer vacation, and then being reminded of when things take a sudden horrible turn https://firewatch.camera/BreezyKeweenawBluff/

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I watched a speedrun of the game, and it's pretty funny to see him break it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjTYo0DirhQ

At 37:30 onwards, he finds the clipboard and then the radio, triggering the mission to go to Wapiti Meadow, but he just completely ignores that and goes down to the firefighter camp, where the burn line has already happened, even though Delihla didn't tell us about it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjTYo0DirhQ&t=2258s

At 58:04 onwards, after he's gotten the key to the cave, he triggers the dialouge about a man in his tower. But he's managed to get back in view of the tower, while Delihla is telling him about the man up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjTYo0DirhQ&t=3478s

Fun stuff!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Thanks for spamming the "this game is poo poo, refund it" YouTube video, I guess.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You bet, buddy :yaycloud:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I love how dumb gamers completely miss the point of a narrative driven game by speedrunning it and then calling it poo poo.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I watched a couple videos of Sips playing this game and then went and bought it. I really enjoyed it all the way up until right after you find out Ned was the one spying on you. That was super disappointing. I understand they wanted there to be a crazy twist but they didn't handle it well at all. I would rather it all really had been a conspiracy instead of what we got. You find out and the game just ends. It would be nice if there was a bit more to the story. We have pretty decent exposition, rising action and a great climax but there's no falling action. It goes straight to resolution. "It was this guy! Wow, that's crazy. Oh well, it's all over get to the chopper." Would it kill them to at least deal with the fallout of the whole situation for at least a few minutes before ending it? Knowing that there's nothing else to do for me besides find a turtle and another tape, I think I'm done.

This would have been a great 10 dollar game, as an 18 dollar game, not so great.
Yup. The ending was so awful it undermined a lot of the cool stuff just wandering around the forest and chatting to Delilah did. It was so dumb to crowbar in the whole possible conspiracy plot thing into a slice of life walking sim, just felt like a total lack of confidence in their ability to engage an audience with the premise/writing they had.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Evfedu posted:

Yup. The ending was so awful it undermined a lot of the cool stuff just wandering around the forest and chatting to Delilah did. It was so dumb to crowbar in the whole possible conspiracy plot thing into a slice of life walking sim, just felt like a total lack of confidence in their ability to engage an audience with the premise/writing they had.
I agree, the whole ending just felt really contrived and I couldn't make sense of why someone would concoct the whole conspiracy thing. Was Ned hoping to drive Henry away? Why would he run it after Henry spent at least a month and a half not even mentioning the cave/Ned/Brian or even being interested in actually what happened to them? Ned could have probably waited a little bit longer (by the end of the game Henry has what, a month at most to go before he ships out?) instead of doing a crazy convoluted plot.

I really liked the game until that point, the conversations almost felt natural, but the end of the game ruins it for me.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think the ending would have been better if Brian's ghost visits you in the middle of the fire and gives you a choice of either a red, blue or green helicopter to get you out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tekopo posted:

I agree, the whole ending just felt really contrived and I couldn't make sense of why someone would concoct the whole conspiracy thing. Was Ned hoping to drive Henry away? Why would he run it after Henry spent at least a month and a half not even mentioning the cave/Ned/Brian or even being interested in actually what happened to them? Ned could have probably waited a little bit longer (by the end of the game Henry has what, a month at most to go before he ships out?) instead of doing a crazy convoluted plot.

I really liked the game until that point, the conversations almost felt natural, but the end of the game ruins it for me.

This post seems to hinge on the idea that any of the characters in the game are rational, sensible people.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I think their insistence on not having you meet anyone really hosed the game up about the time you went to meet the fire-fighters. Also it's probably the worst case of fridge-logic I've encountered in writing for quite a bit, but holy poo poo the amount of plot holes in the whole Ned thing was unreal.

Like, you find this clipboard where he's been taking notes on your conversations because...? That he's left out in the open where he knew you were going (because he's listening in on you) then clonks you unconscious without doing any permanent damage, then somehow hacks into your replacement radio as soon as you get it, THEN breaks into Wapiti station without damaging the lock and inserts... a bunch of folders and reports on you and D while everyone is out, then when you arrive everyone is also out. And there's a device that "tracks signals" that leads you to a backpack with an alarm on it? Then he sets a fire again without you noticing, and gets away after you collapse the entry-way

It's unreal the amount of shonky writing they just threw in there with no second thoughts so as to have a narrative. I was 100% sold on the game at Turt Reynolds and it just blew it so hard.

Evfedu fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 15, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nothing you said was a plot hole or not explained within the game itself though. Pay more attention I guess?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

This post seems to hinge on the idea that any of the characters in the game are rational, sensible people.
I don't think that the only explanation for the motivations of a lot of the characters present within the game being 'they are all crazy' makes for compelling or interesting story-telling. I really related to both Henry and D and was completely sold on the game until I found the report next to the lake and even after that I was partially sold to the game until I reached the ending. If the game had been Henry and D chatting about stuff and having interesting conversations, with the threat of a fire going out of control, I would have probably loved the entirety of the game, instead of being disappointed. I think the game has a lot of promise but fails simply because it thinks that it needs some kind of big mystery in order to make the story compelling: it really doesn't, and suffers because of it.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Nothing you said was a plot hole or not explained within the game itself though. Pay more attention I guess?

Don't do that passive aggressive question poo poo. Please let me know where they explained all that stuff away.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Evfedu posted:

Don't do that passive aggressive question poo poo. Please let me know where they explained all that stuff away.

I started writing a post out earlier. I'll come back to it later today if no one else has.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I think the ending is going exactly where I expect it probably. I'm trying not to read any spoilers. Honestly I wasn't expecting anything going into this game, though I've just come from the Witness, a much better game. I'm probably just going to beat it, see if my concerns are warranted.

The pacing in the game is just terrible though, all it is is a bunch of dialogue, then some incredibly minor plot progression, giving you a couple clues about the "mystery", then more walking simulator until it repeats, and you only really need to chew over the clues for a very short time before you've gotten all you can out of them, also really dumb decisions are made on part of that woman person, what's her name.

It feels like walking through this somewhat cool environment is supposed to be the majority of the gameplay, but once you go through one path once, every subsequent return is just incredibly boring and tedious, especially with all the canned animations that slow you down, like having to rappel or climb repeatedly and sit through the same boring animation over and over again.

At the beginning, the dialogue was really enjoyable for me, but the lack of any sort of actual gameplay really makes it into a boring sludgefest. If anyone asked me about this game, I'd say you'd have more fun listening to a better written audiobook while actually hiking.

The Witness probably spoiled me for good environments, considering how god drat good the island there actually is. There's so much stuff to find, and perspective tricks to frame designed compositions and all this poo poo, it's just so nice, even though it rewards you for basically nothing, but the reward is actually getting to explore this cool environment. Additionally, The Witness was much more carefully designed over a longer time, and I imagine a lot was dedicated to the environment, which is probably what's required to make an environment as interesting as that.

Big difference is that the Witness is designed very much aware it's a video game, so they do a bunch of fantastical yet unrealistic stuff which is interesting to explore, but Firewatch just feels like the worst part of any backtracking in any game except stretched out over an entire game with bad dialogue with two characters.

I know it's probably bad comparing the two games, not only are they very different types of game, but they obviously exist in completely different scopes, but I still can't help The Witness from colouring my thoughts on the game I play immediately after. I can't say if I would have still liked Firewatch had I not played a much, much better game before it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

I started writing a post out earlier. I'll come back to it later today if no one else has.
I am actually interested in finding out what the motivation for Ned coming up with the conspiracy is. I was discussing this with a friend and he noted that Ned largely wanted to keep Henry away from the cave and drive him to leave the area, but even then I still don't understand why the conspiracy was created, since it doesn't seem to be an effective method of actually driving out somebody, not in the way that simply starting a fire would be. Maybe he wanted to get rid of the research camp at the same time, thus killing two birds with one stone and blaming Ned for the fact, but this still runs against the fact that the research team was not interested in the cave, and that Henry mentioned the cave (or hell, just walked past it without even mentioning it to D if you played it that way), then completely forgot about the cave and didn't even mention it for more than a month (at least as far as we know). If the storyline had shown Henry getting gradually more and more interested in the Ned/Brian story, if he had been actively investigating the Cave/the mysterious stranger he saw, then maybe Ned's motivations would have made sense, at least to me. People can do irrational things, but they tend to be snap judgements. Ned's conspiracy was something that he planned during months and months, with Henry giving no inclination that he was actually cared about what happened to Brian/Ned.

I do understand the alarmed backpack: Ned wanted to give himself up because of his guilt/shame etc. That DOES make sense in context. But the bits before regarding the conspiracy make no sense to me.

Maybe I missed something that truly set in stone what Ned's motivation was, but if the motivation was "get Henry the hell away from the area so he can't investigate the cave" then I have trouble believing that it fully explains Ned's actions.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Tekopo posted:

Maybe I missed something that truly set in stone what Ned's motivation was, but if the motivation was "get Henry the hell away from the area so he can't investigate the cave" then I have trouble believing that it fully explains Ned's actions.

He was just passing the time listening in on their radio chatter. Then the clipboard gets found and oops now someone is motivated to look for him and it all spirals from there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

I am actually interested in finding out what the motivation for Ned coming up with the conspiracy is. I was discussing this with a friend and he noted that Ned largely wanted to keep Henry away from the cave and drive him to leave the area, but even then I still don't understand why the conspiracy was created, since it doesn't seem to be an effective method of actually driving out somebody, not in the way that simply starting a fire would be. Maybe he wanted to get rid of the research camp at the same time, thus killing two birds with one stone and blaming Ned for the fact, but this still runs against the fact that the research team was not interested in the cave, and that Henry mentioned the cave (or hell, just walked past it without even mentioning it to D if you played it that way), then completely forgot about the cave and didn't even mention it for more than a month (at least as far as we know). If the storyline had shown Henry getting gradually more and more interested in the Ned/Brian story, if he had been actively investigating the Cave/the mysterious stranger he saw, then maybe Ned's motivations would have made sense, at least to me. People can do irrational things, but they tend to be snap judgements. Ned's conspiracy was something that he planned during months and months, with Henry giving no inclination that he was actually cared about what happened to Brian/Ned.

I do understand the alarmed backpack: Ned wanted to give himself up because of his guilt/shame etc. That DOES make sense in context. But the bits before regarding the conspiracy make no sense to me.

The conspiracy was an act of desperation because Henry had caught him by surprise at the lake, and he left behind the clipboard and radio in his haste to hide. Once he realized that Henry read the clipboard he knew that he had to make poo poo up to scare away Henry. If Henry never found the clipboard, Ned would have left him alone after cutting the communication line because Ned considered that to be enough. A lot of this outlined in Ned's journal entries in his hideout which people seem to not have read.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 15, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Vando posted:

He was just passing the time listening in on their radio chatter. Then the clipboard gets found and oops now someone is motivated to look for him and it all spirals from there.
I need to see what the clipboard says again, since I don't recall exactly what it says. It also seems weird that he would just leave it out on a rock next to the lake, especially when he is able to keep track of what Henry/D are saying. Which means he must have both forgotten about the clipboard, then dropped his radio, which to me seems a little contrived.

Accordion Man posted:

The conspiracy was an act of desperation because Henry had caught him by surprise at the lake, and he left behind the clipboard and radio in his haste to hide. Once he realized that Henry read the clipboard he knew that he had to make poo poo up to scare away Henry. If Henry never found the clipboard, Ned would have left him alone after cutting the communication line because Ned considered that to be enough. A lot of this outlined in Ned's journal entries in his hideout which people seem to not have read.
Okay, well it does seem I missed a bit then. I had a look at everything in his hideout and even called everything in, but I don't seem to have found his journal at all. It seems weird that he was caught unawares when he had a way to tap directly into the radio chatter..

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 15, 2016

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Tekopo posted:

I need to see what the clipboard says again, since I don't recall exactly what it says. It also seems weird that he would just leave it out on a rock next to the lake, especially when he is able to keep track of what Henry/D are saying. Which means he must have both forgotten about the clipboard, then dropped his radio, which to me seems a little contrived.

i'm pretty sure ned knocks the gently caress outta hank shortly after you find the first clipboard. he was hiding, forgot the clipboard.

edit: i didn't see the above edit, oh well

spaceships fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 15, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Played this game straight through the other night and loved it. The story was compelling, the voice acting and dialogue was good, and everything was gorgeous. Easily worth $20.

Edit: photos!

Eyud fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 15, 2016

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Emma Blackery is not impressed by the game.

https://youtu.be/MwUf7cLJBrw

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I've had a bit of a brainwave about why it seems opinion is so polarised on this game: I suspect it's a function of it being a relatively new genre (at least mainstream-wise) and because lots of the reviews are good, people are playing it without having discovered it isn't their type of game. It's kinda like if massive grognardy war games were making a breakthrough and someone raved about War In The Pacific: I'm not going to like it even if it's critically acclaimed because it simply Isn't My Thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

brylcreem posted:

Maybe this is just me being a "KIDS THESE DAYS" old person but not every game has to be good for watching someone else play it. She's doesn't even seem like she's trying to engage with it and instead focuses on making a show of hating it for her viewers.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

brylcreem posted:

I'm just going to ignore all the dialogue and not try to even engage with the game the slightest bit and then wonder why I don't like it, lol.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From a response from her in the comments:

It's really just not her kind of game. But how about maybe don't do a let's play of it for your youtube channel that is representative of the game if it's not your kind of game, then??

edit:

of course, it not being her kind of game doesn't exempt her from bein kind of a poo poo about it. yeah, get in those snipes at the game you did a full playthrough of. that'll show it. :rolleyes:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 15, 2016

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yodzilla posted:

Maybe this is just me being a "KIDS THESE DAYS" old person but not every game has to be good for watching someone else play it. She's doesn't even seem like she's trying to engage with it and instead focuses on making a show of hating it for her viewers.

She actually adresses that at the start of the next video. She says she doesn't really like the game, and if people watching do like the game, maybe they shouldn't be watching that video.

Well, I'm here at the comedy forum Something Awful dot com, and I like sarcastic play throughs.

Also, I'm watching on my TV, so I can't read comments on the videos.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't get into this dialog I'm yelling over and not paying attention to this game suxxxxx :cry:

I really can't understand why people watch let's plays in the first place, but the ones with some idiot yelling over the whole thing are beyond comprehension.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think it's fine to not like a game, actually.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dan Didio posted:

I think it's fine to not like a game, actually.

The issue here is not that she does not like the game, the issue is she's saying the game is bad to 11,000 people because she doesn't like it. If your reasoning is "I don't like the game, therefore it is bad", maybe the problem is with you and not the game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think it's fine to speak to your audience, and to tell them wether you think a game is bad or not.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

brylcreem posted:

She actually adresses that at the start of the next video. She says she doesn't really like the game, and if people watching do like the game, maybe they shouldn't be watching that video.

That sort of begs the question of why she was making it.

I mean I get making a video about a game you dislike and want to bitch about, but a whole playthrough series?

Also I forgot to go through that post from before.

Evfedu posted:

Like, you find this clipboard where he's been taking notes on your conversations because...? That he's left out in the open where he knew you were going (because he's listening in on you) then clonks you unconscious without doing any permanent damage, then somehow hacks into your replacement radio as soon as you get it, THEN breaks into Wapiti station without damaging the lock and inserts... a bunch of folders and reports on you and D while everyone is out, then when you arrive everyone is also out. And there's a device that "tracks signals" that leads you to a backpack with an alarm on it? Then he sets a fire again without you noticing, and gets away after you collapse the entry-way

- He was recording your conversation to see if you were getting close to the truth. He was out taking/reading notes by the lake and listening to you talk, and when he realised you were approaching he hid, then knocked you out to stop you taking the evidence. He has no reason to want to kill you at this stage.
- He doesn't hack your new radio. The dialogue points out that the equipment at the site can pick up all local frequencies, which Delilah didn't realise.
- They make a point of how easy it would be to break into the site if Henry weren't too fat to climb the fence.
- He didn't insert all the folders on you, he was writing them there while surveilling you.
- Everyone at the station has been gone for a while and will be gone for a while, as explained by the bee box (IIRC).
- The signal tracking device was for tracking animals such as elk which have been tagged. This is common scientific practice when studying nature.
- The alarmed backpack was Ned showing you the proof after he'd given up/resolved to burn the place down and move on.
- Again he's a lot fitter than Henry and realistically it's not like the station was completely cut off from the rest of the forest. Also fires are easy to start and the game points out how dry the area is.

Dislike or criticise the game, sure. But don't go throwing terms like plot hole or fridge logic when they're not at all applicable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dan Didio posted:

I think it's fine to speak to your audience, and to tell them wether you think a game is bad or not.
Sure, but the critical difference is that if you have 120,000 subscribers on your youtube channel, you probably should take the 5 seconds to make note of the fact that playing the game live for an audience might have something to do with how you perceived it.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think people in general have an obligation to have good opinions, whatever their Viewer Count.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Sure, but the critical difference is that if you have 120,000 subscribers on your youtube channel, you probably should take the 5 seconds to make note of the fact that playing the game live for an audience might have something to do with how you perceived it.

She doesn't have an obligation to do that. It would be nice and polite of her, but it's not really her responsibility to qualify her opinions, she's not press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hakkesshu posted:

she's not press.
Oh man. I wish we lived in a world where the press was required to qualify its opinions (the actual press, not games media).

• Locked thread